ADVERTISEMENT

Possibly a huge breakthrough

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
I read some books on the role of gut microbiome and came away unimpressed. It seemed a fad, and people were trying to use that as just a way to make money. But they are still researching things and they may, emphasize may, have a breakthrough in Alzheimer's. We've been tempted by breakthroughs before, so temper expectations.

Scientists took gut microbiome material out of humans with Alzheimer's and placed it into healthy rats. The healthy rats developed Alzheimer's. That sure lends at least some credence to the idea that this condition (and many more) may come from the gut. The article below is on the new Alzheimer's finding, but this same thing has been done with rats and obesity making previously slender rats into obese rats.

I'm still not sure eating greek yogurt, kimchee, and sauerkraut is going to keep all this away (common diet ideas suggested by the books) but there may be ways to lower the bad bacteria.

I read some books on the role of gut microbiome and came away unimpressed. It seemed a fad, and people were trying to use that as just a way to make money. But they are still researching things and they may, emphasize may, have a breakthrough in Alzheimer's. We've been tempted by breakthroughs before, so temper expectations.

Scientists took gut microbiome material out of humans with Alzheimer's and placed it into healthy rats. The healthy rats developed Alzheimer's. That sure lends at least some credence to the idea that this condition (and many more) may come from the gut. The article below is on the new Alzheimer's finding, but this same thing has been done with rats and obesity making previously slender rats into obese rats.

I'm still not sure eating greek yogurt, kimchee, and sauerkraut is going to keep all this away (common diet ideas suggested by the books) but there may be ways to lower the bad bacteria.
I'm a firm believer that our gut has a big impact on some aspects of our health. In autistic children, I've seen firsthand that diet has a huge impact on behavior and cognitive function. There's way more to it than active cultured food like yogurt and sauerkraut. Many times it's more important to not ingest things, mainly certain carbohydrates in our experience.

This initial link to Alzheimer's is fascinating.

I'm a firm believer that our gut has a big impact on some aspects of our health. In autistic children, I've seen firsthand that diet has a huge impact on behavior and cognitive function. There's way more to it than active cultured food like yogurt and sauerkraut. Many times it's more important to not ingest things, mainly certain carbohydrates in our experience.

I've been told bourbon kills the bad bacteria.

Gut brain

Didn’t they mention you should have croaked years ago?
I'm going to be around forever

I'm going to be around forever

Now that’s the spirit.

And IU football will still be in the cellar.

Ugh I have chronic stomach issues and hate all those nasty foods. I do take a probiotic. Interesting stuff.

Ugh I have chronic stomach issues and hate all those nasty foods. I do take a probiotic. Interesting stuff.

You don't like Yogurt? I get Kimchee and Kraut... but most people like yogurt and various forms have probiotic benefits.

I only assume you have a Costco-sized box of Golfish in your pantry and Dinosaur-shaped Chicken Nuggets in your freezer?
Is that a problem? Don’t forget the Smuckers peanut butter crustables. And don’t get me started on how many times I have to beg to order a grilled cheese off the children’s menu. Why should kids get all the best stuff?

There should be a ****ing fine.

KC bad pun fine: $3.50
Were you raised in a barn?

The Court can not be fined, challenged or impeached.

And crowding the plate and showing up my pitchers will always get you one in your ear.

Were you raised in a barn?

The Court can not be fined, challenged or impeached.

And crowding the plate and showing up my pitchers will always get you one in your ear.
QyfKC4E.gif

Is that a problem? Don’t forget the Smuckers peanut butter crustables. And don’t get me started on how many times I have to beg to order a grilled cheese off the children’s menu. Why should kids get all the best stuff?

No judgment here, I’m on a similar diet eating with my kids. Can’t say it’s been good for the waist or heart, but I’ll be damned if I don’t admit how good and satisfying their food is.

Drink more bourbon, Zeke.

Even if it doesn't make the stomach issues go away, you won't care.
She does those bubbly seltzer drinks. The problem is that all of the bubbles sink to the bottom on her and every time she sneezes, she sounds like a trombone playing an E flat.

These are great. I do three in the morning. I have friends with ulcerative colitis like I have that have been able to stop taking their colitis meds. I haven’t been brave enough to stop mine.

My wife hates my cooking. Says I eat like a kid. So the last time she went on strike and told me I was in charge of supper, we had grilled cheese (Wonder bread and Kraft singles), Kraft boxed Mac & Cheese, and canned green beans (for nutrition).

Now when she goes on strike she just tells me what kind of pizza she wants me to bring home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT