ADVERTISEMENT

Positive thoughts/Pitching Coach

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
With all the MLB Draft/Transfer Portal/Coaching Carousel situations, it feels like some Gloom and Doom around here. I’ve spent the last 2-3 hours doing my homework on the program as I’d consider myself a casual fan that is trying to become more invested.

I’ve found some positive things. First off. We promoted Derek Simmons to Hitting Coach/Recruiting Coordinator. I’m suprised that he was ever a Volunteer here. The man has a solid resume from his time at Kent State. He was even being thrown around as a HC candidate at Ohio University. I feel like he’ll bring a fresh perspective to recruiting and our hitting development that quite honestly was lacking last season.

Also, although we’ve suffered attrition, we have some fresh faces to be excited about. Carter Mathison is a major talent. I’m not sure how he wasnt drafted, but I’m not complaining. The guy just murdered HS pitching last season. He looks like an Alpha. I feel very strongly that he will become the closest thing we’ve had to Kyle Schwarber since the CWS. Luke Hayden is promising. He had Major League velocity and had a great year in HS baseball. I like the SS transfer from Youngstown St. He batted .321 and had a .981 fielding %. There are some other good recruits and I also like Evan Goforth, a SS from my neck of the woods. I’ve seen him play and he has a pretty good bat and arm strength.

As far as Pitching Coach goes. I’d sure like to see them make a phone call to Ty Neal. He was really good here under Smith, he knows IU baseball, and he gained more experience as a HC at Cincinnati. Seems like a good fit.

I don’t want to see the Gloom and Doom here. Jeff Mercer is a good coach and he’ll be fine. I was against Teri Moren several years ago and got burned by that. I learned my lesson.

With all the MLB Draft/Transfer Portal/Coaching Carousel situations, it feels like some Gloom and Doom around here. I’ve spent the last 2-3 hours doing my homework on the program as I’d consider myself a casual fan that is trying to become more invested.

I’ve found some positive things. First off. We promoted Derek Simmons to Hitting Coach/Recruiting Coordinator. I’m suprised that he was ever a Volunteer here. The man has a solid resume from his time at Kent State. He was even being thrown around as a HC candidate at Ohio University. I feel like he’ll bring a fresh perspective to recruiting and our hitting development that quite honestly was lacking last season.

Also, although we’ve suffered attrition, we have some fresh faces to be excited about. Carter Mathison is a major talent. I’m not sure how he wasnt drafted, but I’m not complaining. The guy just murdered HS pitching last season. He looks like an Alpha. I feel very strongly that he will become the closest thing we’ve had to Kyle Schwarber since the CWS. Luke Hayden is promising. He had Major League velocity and had a great year in HS baseball. I like the SS transfer from Youngstown St. He batted .321 and had a .981 fielding %. There are some other good recruits and I also like Evan Goforth, a SS from my neck of the woods. I’ve seen him play and he has a pretty good bat and arm strength.

As far as Pitching Coach goes. I’d sure like to see them make a phone call to Ty Neal. He was really good here under Smith, he knows IU baseball, and he gained more experience as a HC at Cincinnati. Seems like a good fit.

I don’t want to see the Gloom and Doom here. Jeff Mercer is a good coach and he’ll be fine. I was against Teri Moren several years ago and got burned by that. I learned my lesson.
Any idea the circumstances behind Neal’s brief tenure at UC?

This might indicate a surprise is coming your way, re: “our hitting development that quite honestly was lacking last season.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT