ADVERTISEMENT

Position Groups

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
I know we're not to spring ball yet and there are still going to be some additions/subtractions.

But as the picture begins to become clear, what position groups do you have the most & least concern about for the upcoming season?

For me:

Most: DBs. Maybe I shouldn't be with the rise of Mullin & Taylor to act as the backbone of the defensive backfield. But something just doesn't feel right with the unit as a whole. Hopefully they can come together this spring/summer and be able to cover well enough that Wommack can be aggressive with blitzes without getting burned.

Least: WRs. I'm surprised I'm not more concerned about the loss of two multi-year starters. But I think this unit will be the strength of the team. Top-to-bottom quality players with enough depth to be able to withstand a couple injuries compared to other position groups.

I know we're not to spring ball yet and there are still going to be some additions/subtractions.

But as the picture begins to become clear, what position groups do you have the most & least concern about for the upcoming season?

For me:

Most: DBs. Maybe I shouldn't be with the rise of Mullin & Taylor to act as the backbone of the defensive backfield. But something just doesn't feel right with the unit as a whole. Hopefully they can come together this spring/summer and be able to cover well enough that Wommack can be aggressive with blitzes without getting burned.

Least: WRs. I'm surprised I'm not more concerned about the loss of two multi-year starters. But I think this unit will be the strength of the team. Top-to-bottom quality players with enough depth to be able to withstand a couple injuries compared to other position groups.
As far as the DB’s go, I have to believe our lack of a consistent pass rush has made our DB’s look worse than they are. We are trying to address the pass rush so hopefully this will improve things for our pass coverage.

For me it is the OL that is the questionable although I believe they can be very good. The least questionable is the TE position and adding in the WR they should lead the offense. The STeams should be good with the kickers we have but the returners need to get better.

Reactions: TMFT and red hornet

For me:

I do have concerns about the QBs, not because of a lack of talent, but rather because of Penix's injury history and the lack of reps by Tuttle. We'll see whether IU's staff can develop the talent that's there.

I also am concerned about the apparent lack of depth at RB . . . but then, I'm used to seeing 5-6 deep RBs at UGA.

Last edited:

For me:

Under the DB umbrella I am very concerned by safety play.

Reactions: TMFT
The running back group is interesting. A stud in Scott, a potential future stud in James, and a ton of attrition for a myriad of reasons. Morgan Ellison, Cole Gest, Ronnie Walker, Ivory Winters. It's impressive that we have the talent we do with all those guys gone.

The running back group is interesting. A stud in Scott, a potential future stud in James, and a ton of attrition for a myriad of reasons. Morgan Ellison, Cole Gest, Ronnie Walker, Ivory Winters. It's impressive that we have the talent we do with all those guys gone.
As I recall, Gest transferred. Yes, that hurts the depth at RB.

Reactions: red hornet

100%. I think RB might be the best position group as far as starter "talent" goes. QB is right there too. But like I think you were getting at, 1 injury and they're looking at some major question marks (at least unproven talent). But also like I think you were getting at, at least we're fortunate enough to have a proven "top" of the lineup, and here's hoping for a healthy 2020.

Is Baldwin enrolled?

If not, he might not be able to help much for depth early in the season.

Reactions: vesuvius13

For me:

I'm not worried about WRs. That's probably the deepest position on the team in terms of raw talent, plus they are adding 3 very talented true freshman.

The position that worries me the most is RB. Very talented but an injury away from getting iffy.

I'm not worried about WRs. That's probably the deepest position on the team in terms of raw talent, plus they are adding 3 very talented true freshman.

The position that worries me the most is RB. Very talented but an injury away from getting iffy.
Yeah that's what I was saying about WRs, they're the group I'm least concerned about.

And couldn't agree more about RBs.

RB room will be ok. We could always move David Ellis there permanently if needed. Ahrod Lloyd might surprise us if he is given more carries. Baldwin looks decent and Charlie Speigal might also surprise us if we need him. I would like to think we will be alright. Hated to see the others leave but as they say ...next man up.

WR is our deepest and best position? Good Lord we are in trouble then. Whop is awesome, Fryfogle is a solid #2. Who else does the defense really have to worry about at WR?

I am most worried about the DL, who turns into a difference maker? Can we finally get a pass rush?

Reactions: DANC
WR is our deepest and best position? Good Lord we are in trouble then. Whop is awesome, Fryfogle is a solid #2. Who else does the defense really have to worry about at WR?

I am most worried about the DL, who turns into a difference maker? Can we finally get a pass rush?
Talented young receivers rated higher than the two that left so I hope they show it on the field.

At WR Whop & Fry were the top two WR by yards last year. Hendershot was second most receiving yards on the team. Although I don't have him figured in the WR position group, I think it means we're only going to be running 3 receivers most of the time. The third WR would then be Marshall, who had a great season for a RS-freshman considering how far down he was on the depth chart and opportunities to catch passes.

Behind them we're seeing Ellis (who I think showed enough) and then a bunch of young guys who didn't get to play last year or are coming in who are relatively highly rated.

So I guess I see your point that beyond the first 4 WR, there's a lot of unproven talent. But I guess they at least have some projected upside. But I think the DL will be a very pleasant surprise next year, just a gut feeling because I really like Sio, Head, & Ziemba and what they can bring with another year with S&C staff.

At WR Whop & Fry were the top two WR by yards last year. Hendershot was second most receiving yards on the team. Although I don't have him figured in the WR position group, I think it means we're only going to be running 3 receivers most of the time. The third WR would then be Marshall, who had a great season for a RS-freshman considering how far down he was on the depth chart and opportunities to catch passes.

Behind them we're seeing Ellis (who I think showed enough) and then a bunch of young guys who didn't get to play last year or are coming in who are relatively highly rated.

So I guess I see your point that beyond the first 4 WR, there's a lot of unproven talent. But I guess they at least have some projected upside. But I think the DL will be a very pleasant surprise next year, just a gut feeling because I really like Sio, Head, & Ziemba and what they can bring with another year with S&C staff.
Yeah, good analysis. Exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it.

Marshall and Ellis combined for 32 catches and 369 yards. They have a chance to be good, but those numbers don't back up what you're selling. Beyond the first 2 there are questions. Whop got hurt 2018, spent time in 2019 on the sidelines as well. What if he goes down again?

And the young guys may be higher rated recruits than Hale or Westbrook, but its not like Ellis and Marshall were 4* and Westbrook and Hale were 2*, all 4 were mid/low 3* and I would rather have the 5th year senior as the 3rd and 4th WR than a couole sophomores.

Now the hire for the new DL coach makes me feel better about the DL, Dantonio gets an assist there? Lol

Marshall and Ellis combined for 32 catches and 369 yards. They have a chance to be good, but those numbers don't back up what you're selling. Beyond the first 2 there are questions. Whop got hurt 2018, spent time in 2019 on the sidelines as well. What if he goes down again?

And the young guys may be higher rated recruits than Hale or Westbrook, but its not like Ellis and Marshall were 4* and Westbrook and Hale were 2*, all 4 were mid/low 3* and I would rather have the 5th year senior as the 3rd and 4th WR than a couole sophomores.

Now the hire for the new DL coach makes me feel better about the DL, Dantonio gets an assist there? Lol
I'm somewhat conceding that there's a lack of proven depth behind the starters.

BUT....

Ellis was behind Whop this year. Ellis had 7 for 85 yds. against PSU when Whop went out. And he had 3 for 36 yds. against UM when Whop was out. And Whop had multiple games with that kind of stat line this year. Like I said, I think Ellis showed enough considering his role his true FR year.

As for Marshall, compare his FR year (16-196-1) to Whop, Fry, Hale, & Westbrook (**Edit** I mean comparing to their FR years). He was only behind Whop (33-335-3) in any category.

So I stand behind them as having productive FR years. Again, I'll admit it's not like they caught 50 for 500, but they had production that's not typically seen by freshmen.

I appreciate the discussion though because we're all just navel gazing at the moment and spring camp (and fall camp) can't get here fast enough.

Last edited:

BUT....

Ellis was behind Whop this year. Ellis had 7 for 85 yds. against PSU when Whop went out. And he had 3 for 36 yds. against UM when Whop was out. And Whop had multiple games with that kind of stat line this year. Like I said, I think Ellis showed enough considering his role his true FR year.

As for Marshall, compare his FR year (16-196-1) to Whop, Fry, Hale, & Westbrook (**Edit** I mean comparing to their FR years). He was only behind Whop (33-335-3) in any category.

So I stand behind them as having productive FR years. Again, I'll admit it's not like they caught 50 for 500, but they had production that's not typically seen by freshmen.

I appreciate the discussion though because we're all just navel gazing at the moment and spring campe (and fall camp) can't get her fast enough.

People also forget a couple of our best receivers was out due to injury this year. Jakes and Hewitt were well thought of before being injured.

Reactions: red hornet

BUT....

I appreciate the discussion though because we're all just navel gazing at the moment and spring camp (and fall camp) can't get here fast enough.
Funny. I read the first half of your post and had a thought similar to your last paragraph!

Offseason is soooooooo long ...

I like Baker from Scecina too. Think they both will contribute over time, but no guarantees either next (first) year and would be awesome if one of both get luxury of RS year due to not being needed due to other talent older than them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT