Portland Police Rapid Response Resigns

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Oct 16, 2004
Police in woke Democrat run cities should do this all over the country.

Can you imagine the no win job as Director of Conventions and Tourism for Portland?

"Come to portland where rooms are cheaper than Beirut."

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
i'll presume there is some video of the incident.

if so, that would be good to see before commenting on the charge.

that said, not a defund the police fan, and said the idea and policy name was insane from day one, and a massive vote loser.

and totally agree that the G Floyd rioters/arsonists/looters, should be pursued and charged as aggressively as the Capital insurrectionists who caused harm, who also should be pursued aggressively.

not really a "whatabout" guy myself.. find all the wrongdoers and throw all their asses in jail.

DANC

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Police in woke Democrat run cities should do this all over the country.

All this will eventually give rise to an even greater backlash, with groups like the Proud Boys unafraid to physically confront the rioters.

Then all the CNNs and MSNBCs can cry about 'white supremecist' groups becoming more powerful.

Without law enforcement, there will be a vacuum - and that vacuum will be filled.

Reactions: NPT

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
All this will eventually give rise to an even greater backlash, with groups like the Proud Boys unafraid to physically confront the rioters.

Then all the CNNs and MSNBCs can cry about 'white supremecist' groups becoming more powerful.

Without law enforcement, there will be a vacuum - and that vacuum will be filled.

there is truth in that thought, as has already been witnessed in the kid who went to Racine with his whatever rifle, got in over his head, and now is in deep you know what.

we must be able to rely on police, or vigilante rule will follow.

and no one depends on police more than those in the hood.

again, imo the war on drugs is the main thing that's perverted the relationship between minorities and police, and resulted in major crimes being ignored while cops police personal behavior since it's low hanging fruit.

The Vid

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005

Idiocy

GOP trolls believe in defund the police more than anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

hoot1

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Important to note the following as taken from one news account,

Despite not being on the Rapid Response Team, the officers are still on duty in their regular assignments.

The Vid

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005

Despite not being on the Rapid Response Team, the officers are still on duty in their regular assignments.
Yeah, the OP’s article said that explicitly before the usual orange parrots claimed Portland was Beirut:

“ The assignment is voluntary and the officers will remain on the force and continue their regular assignments, the bureau said.”

DANC

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001

The Rapid Response Team is specially trained in crowd control. They continuously train for it and it's a specialized skill.

Sure, they're still on the force. Like anything else, without training and cohesion, the regular police will not be effective as a quick reaction force. Kinda like the Capitol Police.

Last edited:

hoot1

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
The Rapid Response Team is specially trained in crowd control. They continuously train for it and it's a specialized skill.

Sure, they're still on the force. Like anything else, without training and cohesion, the regular police will not be effective as a quick reaction force. Kinda like how the Capitol Police.
The idea of a specially trained unit to deal crowds such as protest groups does make sense. A unit of 50 in a city the size of Portland doesn't seem like near enough, however. Probably extra pay involved so maybe there is a cost factor involved.

They had to be overworked during the prolonged siege on Portland. Then to have one of their own indicted had to be a bitter pill to swallow. There were special circumstances in Portland, and let us hope resignations don.t sweep across the country.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

mcmurtry66

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2019
The idea of a specially trained unit to deal crowds such as protest groups does make sense. A unit of 50 in a city the size of Portland doesn't seem like near enough, however. Probably extra pay involved so maybe there is a cost factor involved.

They had to be overworked during the prolonged siege on Portland. Then to have one of their own indicted had to be a bitter pill to swallow. There were special circumstances in Portland, and let us hope resignations don.t sweep across the country.
There might be some blue flu pop up but I don’t think resignations will sweep the country. Not to be a dick but there aren’t many careers that are a natural transition from beat cop. I think the larger impact will be in filling vacancies at the academy.

Last edited:

DANC

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001

Well it makes sense if they're used properly. They would have to be supplemented in numbers, in cases like Portland, with regular police.

Portland is a special case, alright. And not in a good way.

DANC

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
There might be some blue flu pop up but I don’t think resignations will sweep the country. Not to be a dick but there aren’t many careers that are a natural transition from beat cop. I think the larger impact will be in filling vacancies.
I've heard New York retirements are up 20% (too lazy to look it up) and numbers are similar in other large cities.

Police retirement pay is pretty good, and there are plenty of opportunities in the Security field today.

But yes, recruiting is much more difficult these days.

mcmurtry66

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2019
I've heard New York retirements are up 20% (too lazy to look it up) and numbers are similar in other large cities.

Police retirement pay is pretty good, and there are plenty of opportunities in the Security field today.

But yes, recruiting is much more difficult these days.
For sure many can tap out at 20 years with half salary

Joe_Hoopsier

All-Big Ten
Dec 21, 2010
The Portland people have been rescued. They have hired new crowd control personnel and save money at the same time. Welcome Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to the force. He come's with experience and is highly motivated toward success.

mashnut

Sophomore
Feb 22, 2018
It's interesting to me the people in this thread who are perfectly fine with Police taking this kind of coordinated action to protest policy they disagree with in ways that could negatively impact society, and yet those same people are against similar union action when undertaken by teachers, nurses, or other professions.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

DANC

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
For sure many can tap out at 20 years with half salary
Almost every cop and fireman I know has a side gig - particularly firemen, because they work 24 on and then off for a day or two.

And cops do security all the time for events like HS games, concerts, country fairs, etc. They're able to supplement their income while theyre working their regular jobs. So, they can set themselves up for retirement pretty well.

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
It's interesting to me the people in this thread who are perfectly fine with Police taking this kind of coordinated action to protest policy they disagree with in ways that could negatively impact society, and yet those same people are against similar union action when undertaken by teachers, nurses, or other professions.
Not even close to the same. If I send you into war without a weapon you're gonna probably resign.. I know that it's not the same as that but cops feel handicapped to do anything without being afraid they'll do the something that is considered wrong. Admittingly there's a lot of John Wayne cops but we can't handicap them so that become mother Teresa cops. It's too easy for people to sit and look at something on the computer and say what they should have done but it's another to make a decision in the heat of the battle. I've never been in the service but I'll guarantee you that I'd probably make some bad decisions if bullets were flying.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66

HooDatGuy

Junior
Sep 10, 2020
Any Conservative that's honest should loathe all public sector unions, FOP included.

And these guys actually had the balls to quit, they didn't just walk out of the classroom and leave their students in the lurch because they knew administrators would never have the balls to can their asses.

If these teachers want to quit, they should. But they're spoiled cowards so they wont.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Any Conservative that's honest should loathe all public sector unions, FOP included.

And these guys actually had the balls to quit, they didn't just walk out of the classroom and leave their students in the lurch because they knew administrators would never have the balls to can their asses.

If these teachers want to quit, they should. But they're spoiled cowards so they wont.
They didn't quit. They simply resigned from a voluntary special assignment. Now, when Portland needs crowd control, these same officers - and their colleagues - will still be called upon to do the duty. They just won't be part of a special unit trained specifically for that.

HooDatGuy

Junior
Sep 10, 2020
They didn't quit. They simply resigned from a voluntary special assignment. Now, when Portland needs crowd control, these same officers - and their colleagues - will still be called upon to do the duty. They just won't be part of a special unit trained specifically for that.
Shoulda read the article. F' them then.

mashnut

Sophomore
Feb 22, 2018
Not even close to the same. If I send you into war without a weapon you're gonna probably resign.. I know that it's not the same as that but cops feel handicapped to do anything without being afraid they'll do the something that is considered wrong. Admittingly there's a lot of John Wayne cops but we can't handicap them so that become mother Teresa cops. It's too easy for people to sit and look at something on the computer and say what they should have done but it's another to make a decision in the heat of the battle. I've never been in the service but I'll guarantee you that I'd probably make some bad decisions if bullets were flying.

Just to be clear on what you're saying here, it appears you're implying that you'd be fine with soldiers refusing to follow orders because they disagree with political decisions up the chain? You also seem to be implying that we should treat police like soldiers, implying that we are the enemy. I strongly disagree with both of those points, especially given what I've read from posters like Aloha, Bing, and Ranger who have very explicitly talked about why domestic policing is very different from war (and why we should have at least the same standards for deescalation for police that military in active combat areas have).

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
Just to be clear on what you're saying here, it appears you're implying that you'd be fine with soldiers refusing to follow orders because they disagree with political decisions up the chain? You also seem to be implying that we should treat police like soldiers, implying that we are the enemy. I strongly disagree with both of those points, especially given what I've read from posters like Aloha, Bing, and Ranger who have very explicitly talked about why domestic policing is very different from war (and why we should have at least the same standards for deescalation for police that military in active combat areas have).
If the orders were to go into a battle without guns yeah I'd be fine with that. But I don't think any branch of our armed forces would handicap soldiers that way. Would you jump off of a high building if your boss ordered you to (not talking about your wife. :) :) ) The ONLY point I was trying to make is that when you put police in a position where they feel like they can't defend themselves then some will quit (I would). Like I said in the previous post there are two many John Wayne type cops and they go way overboard. The cop that shot the girl getting ready to stab the girl was in a no-win situation.. He's in a bad position because he shot her but the same people that accused him of being bad would have been critical if he had done nothing ad let her get stabbed. People think there are other ways to stop that... a Tazer might have but it's not always instantaneous so she could still have stabbed.

By the way... it takes two sides to deescalate

mashnut

Sophomore
Feb 22, 2018
If the orders were to go into a battle without guns yeah I'd be fine with that. But I don't think any branch of our armed forces would handicap soldiers that way. Would you jump off of a high building if your boss ordered you to (not talking about your wife. :) :) ) The ONLY point I was trying to make is that when you put police in a position where they feel like they can't defend themselves then some will quit (I would). Like I said in the previous post there are two many John Wayne type cops and they go way overboard. The cop that shot the girl getting ready to stab the girl was in a no-win situation.. He's in a bad position because he shot her but the same people that accused him of being bad would have been critical if he had done nothing ad let her get stabbed. People think there are other ways to stop that... a Tazer might have but it's not always instantaneous so she could still have stabbed.

By the way... it takes two sides to deescalate

They didn't quit, goat explained above that they took themselves off a voluntary task force and will still be asked to perform those same crowd control duties. They did nothing like what you're asking. On the subject of de-escalation, sure it takes two sides, but when you have one side of the interaction that is professionally trained to do so you have a lot better chance of success. The military agrees, and trains in those techniques, I think police could be similarly trained. Studies have shown that this type of training decreases risk to the police officers themselves because fewer interactions escalate to violence on either side, it's a win-win.

Joe_Hoopsier

All-Big Ten
Dec 21, 2010
Rated the #1 Crowd control device for the Portland insurgence.
Swissgear 5358 USB ScanSmart Laptop Backpack padded shoulder straps

stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010

Yes, I should have added that. I knew they only resigned from the riot police not the police force.

Good people are completely leaving law enforcement. I don’t know why anyone would want career in law enforcement in the current environment. Criminals now believe they can disobey orders from police.

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
I don't recall any GOP leaning posters calling for defunding.
I don't recall any Dem leaning posters calling for defunding, either, the way you define it. A few have perhaps called for reallocation of funding to, as one example, have people in place to better deal with mental health-related criminal situations.

That's shockingly awful, right?

Joe_Hoopsier

All-Big Ten
Dec 21, 2010
Yes, I should have added that. I knew they only resigned from the riot police not the police force.

Good people are completely leaving law enforcement. I don’t know why anyone would want career in law enforcement in the current environment. Criminals now believe they can disobey orders from police.
Pelosi and her ilk own intrest in Smith & Wesson.

If we could get them to create demand for condoms like they do guns, the world would be old grampa's in rocking chairs.

The Vid

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005

Really? Name one “good person” leaving law enforcement due to the current environment. Just like your original post above, you just talk.

The Vid

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
I don't recall any GOP leaning posters calling for defunding.
Someone please tell me where this came from/what did I miss.
GOP using defund the police, Portland, etc to create a false narrative to stir the pot. Meanwhile anyone with a gd brain, regardless of party affiliation, knows defund the police is ridiculous. Get it?

Just like stoll posting a misleading thread title, meanwhile no cop is “resigning.”

More tired BS from the same clowns.

DANC

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
GOP using defund the police, Portland, etc to create a false narrative to stir the pot. Meanwhile anyone with a gd brain, regardless of party affiliation, knows defund the police is ridiculous. Get it?

Just like stoll posting a misleading thread title, meanwhile no cop is “resigning.”

More tired BS from the same clowns.
Yeah, defunding the police is ridiculous. I guess cutting $1 Billion from the NYC budget is just a drop in the bucket.

Hilljack.

mcmurtry66

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2019
Last edited:

The Vid

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
Yeah, defunding the police is ridiculous. I guess cutting $1 Billion from the NYC budget is just a drop in the bucket.

Hilljack.
Another sensationalized headline post without any context. You and stoll are really good at this. If you could actually read and comprehend the article you posted:

"This isn't a billion dollars. And I'm not going to pretend that it is," Johnson said. "To everyone who is disappointed that we did not go farther I want to let you know -- I am disappointed as well ... But this budget process involves the mayor who was not budging."

You obviously have no idea how budgeting and reallocations work, and if you take that CNN headline at face value then you’re dumber than we previously thought which is saying something.

People like you are a dream come true for politicians like Trump and the current GOP.

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
They didn't quit, goat explained above that they took themselves off a voluntary task force and will still be asked to perform those same crowd control duties. They did nothing like what you're asking. On the subject of de-escalation, sure it takes two sides, but when you have one side of the interaction that is professionally trained to do so you have a lot better chance of success. The military agrees, and trains in those techniques, I think police could be similarly trained. Studies have shown that this type of training decreases risk to the police officers themselves because fewer interactions escalate to violence on either side, it's a win-win.
Yeah I know they didn't quit. The point I was making is that you have to be might careful about handicapping the police. That doesn't mean that I agree with some of their tactics and think that they should be able do whatever they want to. There used to be a show on TV called Live PD where they showed actual live encounters. I told my wife that I wish they would give viewers a way to rate the police on how they handled each encounter. Some were very good at handling situations but a few had the Gestapo attitude and if I was in charge of them I'd tell them point blank that attitude has to change or they will no longer be in the department.

Of course you want to de-escalate any situation if possible but in case like the capital rioters I don't see much of a way to do that except via force and cops are gonna make mistakes in situations like that. Now that doesn't mean that I think they should just starting shooting a bunch of them but I could see where I cop might think a person might have a gun (when they don't) and shoot that person and I'm not gonna crucify the cop for doing it.

NPT

Aug 28, 2001

It’s happening all over the country.
And what I am afraid will happen is that being in a crunch they'll hire unqualified people and will make it worse. I don't blame police for quitting at all but I don't think the solution is to hired unqualified people. But police departments share some of the blame in this because they always backed cops who obviously did wrong rather than firing them.

mcmurtry66

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2019
And what I am afraid will happen is that being in a crunch they'll hire unqualified people and will make it worse. I don't blame police for quitting at all but I don't think the solution is to hired unqualified people. But police departments share some of the blame in this because they always backed cops who obviously did wrong rather than firing them.
The unions. That said depts will have a hard time filling vacancies. It’s a shit job in the best of conditions. - who the hell would want to do it under present conditions. Cops here are leaving for completely different professions. Not worth it

Last edited: