ADVERTISEMENT

Portland Mayor on Defund the Police: "Whoops, I messed up!"

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
Ted Wheeler in June 2020:

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler pledged the city will divert $12 million from the police bureau and other city departments to directly support communities of color, defund three police units including the gun violence reduction team and ban officers from using chokeholds as part of plans to reform the Portland Police Bureau.

Ted Wheeler 9 months later:

Days after Portland recorded its 20th homicide, Mayor Ted Wheeler said Thursday he’ll seek $2 million in one-time funding to allow more proactive policing on city streets with greater civilian oversight to try to stem a growing wave of gun violence.

The cutbacks “created a vacuum that undermined public safety and the very communities whose voices the Council -- and our community -- seek to amplify,” wrote J. W. Matt Hennessee, chair of the collaborative.

Ted Wheeler in June 2020:

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler pledged the city will divert $12 million from the police bureau and other city departments to directly support communities of color, defund three police units including the gun violence reduction team and ban officers from using chokeholds as part of plans to reform the Portland Police Bureau.

Ted Wheeler 9 months later:

Days after Portland recorded its 20th homicide, Mayor Ted Wheeler said Thursday he’ll seek $2 million in one-time funding to allow more proactive policing on city streets with greater civilian oversight to try to stem a growing wave of gun violence.

The cutbacks “created a vacuum that undermined public safety and the very communities whose voices the Council -- and our community -- seek to amplify,” wrote J. W. Matt Hennessee, chair of the collaborative.
Silly. Just need better cops. Pay em more and elevate the qualifications.

2015 called, it wants its word back.

Sorry to break up y'alls hillbilly hootenanny but using that lame ass word needs to stop.

TIA.

The polling is out there. Many in the D coalition, especially blacks and Hispanics, are not nearly as progressive as the far left white folks. Correcting stupid shit like defund the police and abolish ice is necessary for the Ds to win again in 2022 and 2024. I hope they don’t muck it up because I’m not hopeful that we will have a functioning GOP.

The polling is out there. Many in the D coalition, especially blacks and Hispanics, are not nearly as progressive as the far left white folks. Correcting stupid shit like defund the police and abolish ice is necessary for the Ds to win again in 2022 and 2024. I hope they don’t muck it up because I’m not hopeful that we will have a functioning GOP.
Jesus I hope there are more people like Sarah coming to this realization. Again, it isn’t about the young Dems and liberals being overly woke and elite - it’s about their absolutism and the presentation of false choices between radical views or racism.

Jesus I hope there are more people like Sarah coming to this realization. Again, it isn’t about the young Dems and liberals being overly woke and elite - it’s about their absolutism and the presentation of false choices between radical views or racism.

Her take is both good and correct. If you are a sentient human being and have an ounce of ability to think for yourself, this is where you should be.

I’ll pick on Rush listeners here. He was an intentional caricature of an angry right winger. Pick the issue and you knew exactly what his take would be. His listeners liked him because that was their mindset. They liked nodding along. But they didn’t know he was a caricature.

it’s impossible for a real life person to always come down on the predicted side of every issue. Whether it’s life experience or whatever, we are all bound to see things differently some times. Being a strict party line follower drains that from us. It’s black lines and litmus tests. Trump shined the light on it when his supporters could not ever just say he was wrong. Hell we have people here still defending, or at least minimizing, 1/6. That’s putting the party over your own objective sense of right and wrong. Sarah’s introspection here is useful. I hope people do more of it.

Agreed that Sarah Silverman here is to be applauded for her current take. I feel similarly sometimes.

It reminds me of something I learned fairly recently that I really liked. I learned from a pal who lives in Lexington KY that their local government diasallows political parties. Local officials running for office are not allowed to be affiliated or show any affiliation with any party. I find that useful in todays political climate. For the voter, it brings ideas back to the top of the page, not, “what party is this person? because I’m only voting for X, and I’m definitely not voting for Y.....”. As a politician, it frees up that person to assemble his own positions without having to pledge fealty to the rest of the ideologies in that party. What Lexington is doing makes so much sense, yet I’d be stunned if this caught on anywhere else.

Agreed that Sarah Silverman here is to be applauded for her current take. I feel similarly sometimes.

It reminds me of something I learned fairly recently that I really liked. I learned from a pal who lives in Lexington KY that their local government diasallows political parties. Local officials running for office are not allowed to be affiliated or show any affiliation with any party. I find that useful in todays political climate. For the voter, it brings ideas back to the top of the page, not, “what party is this person? because I’m only voting for X, and I’m definitely not voting for Y.....”. As a politician, it frees up that person to assemble his own positions without having to pledge fealty to the rest of the ideologies in that party. What Lexington is doing makes so much sense, yet I’d be stunned if this caught on anywhere else.

100%, putting a party demarcation next to candidate names just gives/reinforces power to the two party system.

Ah, yes.

That horrible, redemptive, liberating moment of self-realization - when the veil lifts - has started to arrive ... for some.

tumblr_nv9upjStTx1qicfexo2_r1_540.gif

As for Sarah, good on her.

I hope she leads many toward healing.
She has that kind of platform.
But the hate has to stop.

Reactions: 76-1
Ah, yes.

That horrible, redemptive, liberating moment of self-realization - when the veil lifts - has started to arrive ... for some.

Now we just need someone on your side to display the same ability and maybe we could meet each other half way.

Now we just need someone on your side to display the same ability and maybe we could meet each other half way.

Hooey. Many many many Republicans extended hands of friendship and bi-partisanship ... and brought back a bloody stump with messages of hate written on them in their own blood.

It's time for the Democrats to recognize that they need to apologize and be forgiven - not met halfway after a bi-partisan realization that "both sides said some things they regret."

Sarah seems to be realizing that, even in the midst of continuing hate speech by so many.

Every moderate Republican was flat out demonized. (Go back and read what was said about Kasich, Jeb Bush, etc. Go ask W how his plans to be "The Education President" and "reach across the aisle like I did in Texas" worked out for him. ) Trump was the result. Extremism begets extremism. It ain't rocket science.

As Silverman points out - if you disagreed .001% on any issue, you were simply attacked by Democratic leadership and its on-line mindless minions - as to ALL issues. Then it got much worse, much more local, much more personal and much more direct. Y'all joyfully became the worst forms of group internet bullies. Even Republicans who had voted for Obama were labeled racists! By people so deluded they BELIEVED it!! And still do!!!

Believe in merely enforcing the existing laws on immigration? or even revising them to allow expanded legal immigration? "No person is illegal!" "You hate brown people." "You support kids in cages." "You support separating children from their mothers - just like your Nazi friends at Auschwitz."

But its OUR duty to reach out halfway?

You lament the violence from "mostly peaceful" civil rights protests ? "You are a Nazi racist and a liar." But its OUR duty to reach out?

You try and discuss proposals from nationally-known historians - black and white - on how to evaluate which civil war monuments should be taken down or moved or kept in place? "You support white nationalist groups, the Klan and Nazis." But its OUR duty to reach out?

Splinter/log time Dims!

And I truly wonder which is the bigger thing that has produced this reflection and epiphany by folks who are now genuinely regretting their hateful rhetoric? Is it Cuomo - the last in a long line of serial Democrat sexual harassers, (and MAYBE the first to have his D-pass revoked), or the ability of the right to parrot back the "idea" that the Capital protests were "mostly peaceful"? That hundreds of thousands of people there did NOT commit violence, and only a few hundred did?

But Sarah can't stomach the hypocrisy any longer - and I'm proud of her. She finally realizes that hate and violence have no qualifiers - they merely produce more hate and violence. I accept her apology and invite her to my home for further reflection.

Ah, yes.

maybe but you literally said Dakich would be a good hire for HC

Hooey. Many many many Republicans extended hands of friendship and bi-partisanship ... and brought back a bloody stump with messages of hate written on them in their own blood.

It's time for the Democrats to recognize that they need to apologize and be forgiven - not met halfway after a bi-partisan realization that "both sides said some things they regret."

Sarah seems to be realizing that, even in the midst of continuing hate speech by so many.

Every moderate Republican was flat out demonized. (Go back and read what was said about Kasich, Jeb Bush, etc. Go ask W how his plans to be "The Education President" and "reach across the aisle like I did in Texas" worked out for him. ) Trump was the result. Extremism begets extremism. It ain't rocket science.

As Silverman points out - if you disagreed .001% on any issue, you were simply attacked by Democratic leadership and its on-line mindless minions - as to ALL issues. Then it got much worse, much more local, much more personal and much more direct. Y'all joyfully became the worst forms of group internet bullies. Even Republicans who had voted for Obama were labeled racists! By people so deluded they BELIEVED it!! And still do!!!

Believe in merely enforcing the existing laws on immigration? or even revising them to allow expanded legal immigration? "No person is illegal!" "You hate brown people." "You support kids in cages." "You support separating children from their mothers - just like your Nazi friends at Auschwitz."

You lament the violence from "mostly peaceful" civil rights protests ? "You are a Nazi racist and a liar." But its OUR duty to reach out?

You try and discuss proposals from nationally-known historians - black and white - on how to evaluate which civil war monuments should be taken down or moved or kept in place? "You support white nationalist groups, the Klan and Nazis." But its OUR duty to reach out?

Splinter/log time Dims!

And I truly wonder which is the bigger thing that has produced this reflection and epiphany by folks who are now genuinely regretting their hateful rhetoric? Is it Cuomo - the last in a long line of serial Democrat sexual harassers, (and MAYBE the first to have his D-pass revoked), or the ability of the right to parrot back the "idea" that the Capital protests were "mostly peaceful"? That hundreds of thousands of people there did NOT commit violence, and only a few hundred did?

But Sarah can't stomach the hypocrisy any longer - and I'm proud of her. She finally realizes that hate and violence have no qualifiers - they merely produce more hate and violence. I accept her apology and invite her to my home for further reflection.

Yeah you don’t get it.

there were plenty of never trumpers, no?
There are also plenty of Democrats who don't get down with "defund the police." But apparently that doesn't matter. We still need someone like Silverman to "show growth" or whatever to help save the left from itself. So, it stands to reason, that no matter how many reasonable people already exist on the right, we should still expect the same introspection and growth from them, as well.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Splinter/log time Dims!

LOL. That's not even revisionist history. It's just fantasy.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
There are also plenty of Democrats who don't get down with "defund the police." But apparently that doesn't matter. We still need someone like Silverman to "show growth" or whatever to help save the left from itself. So, it stands to reason, that no matter how many reasonable people already exist on the right, we should still expect the same introspection and growth from them, as well.

I don't disagree, just pointing out that neither side is starting from zero.

I don't disagree, just pointing out that neither side is starting from zero.
There are good people on both sides who want to work with the other side to get things done. Unfortunately, they are becoming harder and harder to find in Congress. And if this forum is representative of our society at all, they are becoming endangered among the general population, as well.

There are good people on both sides who want to work with the other side to get things done. Unfortunately, they are becoming harder and harder to find in Congress. And if this forum is representative of our society at all, they are becoming endangered among the general population, as well.

Why would the most rationale, talented people ever work in Congress? There was a time when that was attractive. Given the circus that politics has become, it no longer is.

That's why you would be woefully unimpressed by plenty of House members, in particular, if you have the (unfortunate?) chance to meet them.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
It may be too late to rescue Portland from the smoking hole it has become.

Bulldoze it make it a forest again.

Put the tidepod eaters and tiktokers to work.

Can you imagine working for the dept of tourism?

"No ma'am...it only smells like tear gas on the weekends and several businesses are open...I think six now. Just wear your helmet and a welding face shield and you will love it". "if you are into burning things down and throwing rocks at police, there is something for everyone in Portland".

It may be too late to rescue Portland from the smoking hole it has become.

Bulldoze it make it a forest again.

Put the tidepod eaters and tiktokers to work.

Can you imagine working for the dept of tourism?

"No ma'am...it only smells like tear gas on the weekends and several businesses are open...I think six now. Just wear your helmet and a welding face shield and you will love it". "if you are into burning things down and throwing rocks at police, there is something for everyone in Portland".
They took the barricades around the federal courthouse down Saturday and put them right back up again Sunday after the mob tried to burn it down again.

This is Biden’s America.

They took the barricades around the federal courthouse down Saturday and put them right back up again Sunday after the mob tried to burn it down again.

This is Biden’s America.

09ed9379-298b-4cd7-87df-d3093ce1f719-AFP_AFP_8YA8KY.jpg

This is Biden’s America.

Maybe if the rednecks would go home then it wouldn't be necessary

This is Biden’s America.

Someone will surely yabutt this.

ADVERTISEMENT