ADVERTISEMENT

Porter Moser

There’s no way it’s Porter. When the $10 million was given the tourney hadn’t even started and I can’t imagine Dolson sought money with the hopes of hiring Porter, HOWEVER if Porter is hired it pretty much says we suck and can’t get a big time coach cause no way was he the original pick
Going back to the Crean hire, IU has yet to land its first coaching choice. Or it’s second. Or, as we are seeing now, the top 3-4 guys on our list are not considering IU as a good destination. Hell, even Crean solicited opinions before he took the job and he was 4th choice. IU is not going to get “1st choice.” It’s not that kind of destination anymore.

Going back to the Crean hire, IU has yet to land its first coaching choice. Or it’s second. Or, as we are seeing now, the top 3-4 guys on our list are not considering IU as a good destination. Hell, even Crean solicited opinions before he took the job and he was 4th choice. IU is not going to get “1st choice.” It’s not that kind of destination anymore.
We were on probation

I can give you $10 million reasons no Porter Wagner
Lol.

Porter Wagner?

29Wagoner-450.jpg

We're talking Loyola of Chicago. That program has been complete garbage since the late sixties.

So his relative performance has been off the charts.
Minus 2018 and this year, his performance at Loyola is right on par with everyone else---including Jim Whitesell---who he replaced. In his(whitesell) 8 seasons, he had four losing seasons. NO NCAAT.

Moser has more losing seasons(4), than NCAAT appearances(2). Missed the NCAAT in 2019 and would have missed it last year...

You folks are putting waaaaaaaaaaaay to much stock into a coach, over a couple of good seasons.

And this will continue to be the case as long as Stevens is coaching and IU is in the need of a coach.

All good points, but would he come to IU?

He has a job now where he flies totally under the media spotlight. Heck, NU basketball gets way more media coverage here, not to mention the Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, Sox/Cubs, Illini, even DePaul.

Expectations and pressure are probably more intense for a catholic high school coach.

Would he consider the IU fishbowl?

Illinois I can see, if the Underwood domino falls. But IU?

Yeah he's in a weird spot because he's already wealthy and he is a Chicago kid who loves Chicago working in Chicago.

The allure for any coach we hire is obviously our resources, our passion and knowledge and our access to a recruiting hotbed.

Add to it we're in one of the elite conferences that regularly gets 8 to 9 bids (vs his conference that gets one, maybe two).

It's not the $$ for him I would think it's the competitor in him.

It's not easy. If you lose we'll bury you like any major player but if you win there's no better place to be.

Do you think you're good enough to win and win without a trace of scandal while also not being a egotistical asshole in the administration?

That's the expectation.

Reactions: .Gerdis
They're not hiring Porter Moser. Just stop. You guys keep acting like the Indiana Administration is incompetent .
I agree. Doyle just posted a new article on Moser. In that article there was a Holtman mention. Doyle stated that “happiness at OSU” is an issue for Holtman. I had not heard that. He also claimed that Holtman was interviewed.

No way. That’s my point. His family’s fortune is vast. He’s already the recipient of generational wealth from his family’s estate. If you don’t need the money, why would you leave a low stress job in your hometown to come to Bloomington?

To win the Big Ten? A national championship?

I think the $ gives him more incentive to do something outside the comfort zone.

Pretty quick flight in a private jet.

Yeah he's in a weird spot because he's already wealthy and he is a Chicago kid who loves Chicago working in Chicago.

The allure for any coach we hire is obviously our resources, our passion and knowledge and our access to a recruiting hotbed.

Add to it we're in one of the elite conferences that regularly gets 8 to 9 bids (vs his conference that gets one, maybe two).

It's not easy. If you lose we'll bury you like any major player but if you win there's no better place to be.

Do you think you're good enough to win and win without a trace of scandal while also not being a egotistical asshole in the administration?

That's the expectation.
....and no more coaches with short man’s complex!

• Haha
Reactions: TommyCracker
Of all the talk about coaches we will never get (Stevens, Beard), why isn't anyone's fantasy Porter Moser? He brings excitement, midwest connections - especially in Chicago where IU hasn't recruited well in years - and like Stevens he's brought a mid-major team to a Final Four. He's young and his players seem to love him, and he's a big enough name that he would bring excitement to the program. I know he loves Chicago, but Stevens loved Indy but still knew when it was time to move on when he realized he'd accomplished everything he could at a program that small. Outside of Brad Stevens, Moser is the one guy I'd give a blank check to.
Sounds good to me.

Moser is the most recent Coach de-jour but why not Pitino? IU deserves a championship coach and Pitino has delivered in spades. Does he have some kind of NCAA issue? Too much baggage? Too old? 68 is getting up there but still, guys proven and he can do it on the biggest stage just like stage IU should be occupying. I don't understand why he's not really being discussed when the guy is one of the best ever of his generation Moser looks like a risk.

Reactions: BayernFan
Moser is the most recent Coach de-jour but why not Pitino? IU deserves a championship coach and Pitino has delivered in spades. Does he have some kind of NCAA issue? Too much baggage? Too old? 68 is getting up there but still, guys proven and he can do it on the biggest stage just like stage IU should be occupying. I don't understand why he's not really being discussed when the guy is one of the best ever of his generation Moser looks like a risk.
Pitino is one of the greatest college coaches of all time and it's not even a discussion, but we're not hiring a guy with any kind of baggage.

We tried that once and not only did we offend our core and spit in the face of our supposed culture but we literally blew up the program.

So we're not going to look at a guy like Pitino or Drew or Pearl or maybe even Beard or Musselman.

If Dakich represents the players, and Dolson was a manager on the 87 team, I can't see Dolson hiring any guy like that no matter if Pitino could come in here and go undefeated.

• Sad
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Minus 2018 and this year, his performance at Loyola is right on par with everyone else---including Jim Whitesell---who he replaced. In his(whitesell) 8 seasons, he had four losing seasons. NO NCAAT.

Moser has more losing seasons(4), than NCAAT appearances(2). Missed the NCAAT in 2019 and would have missed it last year...

You folks are putting waaaaaaaaaaaay to much stock into a coach, over a couple of good seasons.
Bingo, it could be the same mistake we made with Archie. I wish him well but you can just see how bad we got during his tenure.

That's the expectation.
If we are going to pry a coach out of Chicago I would rather it be Billy Donovan.

Pitino is one of the greatest college coaches of all time and it's not even a discussion, but we're not hiring a guy with any kind of baggage.

We tried that once and not only did we offend our core and spit in the face of our supposed culture but we literally blew up the program.

So we're not going to look at a guy like Pitino or Drew or Pearl or maybe even Beard or Musselman.

If Dakich represents the players, and Dolson was a manager on the 87 team, I can't see Dolson hiring any guy like that no matter if Pitino could come in here and go undefeated.
I hate IU. More so, I will probably go down hating Brad Stevens more than any sports figure. This dude grew up, like me, loving IU. That doesn't just leave when you become an adult. He can save the damn program, and get paid a dick ton of money while doing it. All these other good guys we have no shot at, this guy actually has some vested interest. And wants to stay in Boston???? I know Boston, my whole family is from Boston, they give a rats ass about Brad. Infuriating.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Just NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....JFC. I cannot believe this is being discussed---Like, AT ALL. Look, he has more LOSING seasons[4], than NCAAT[2] in his 10 seasons at Loyola. After his FF run in 2018....which was damn near gifted(beat a 7 and a 9 in the regionals), his last two teams(2019/2020) went a combined 41-25. No NCAAT. Yes I realize last year was a COVID year. But that team wasn't getting in. They were 21-11, 2nd in the MVC, losing to 7 seed Valpo in the first round of the Valley. They were 101st in KenPom...103rd in the BPI.....That team was not getting in.

So...................His last 4 seasons went like this:

32-6 Final Four
20-14 NIT(lost first round)
21-11 COVID---As mentioned, was not getting in.
26-4 Currently in SW 16.

So in two if past 4 seasons, he has missed the NCAAT. Sound familiar? It should. We fired a guy four years with almost the exactsame results.

Moser is a flavor....Had they lost to Illinois---his name isn't mentioned. I mean people have all but forgotten that 2018 Final Four...And Why? Because his two teams after that sucked ass. But hey, they are good again.....Beat Illinois.....So, shit, lets hire the guy..

Just NOOOOOOO. Would be a terrible hire.
Thank you!

I love these posts.

How do you KNOW ANY of what you posted?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT