ADVERTISEMENT

Porter Moser

RickyRoe

Sophomore
Nov 12, 2008
Of all the talk about coaches we will never get (Stevens, Beard), why isn't anyone's fantasy Porter Moser? He brings excitement, midwest connections - especially in Chicago where IU hasn't recruited well in years - and like Stevens he's brought a mid-major team to a Final Four. He's young and his players seem to love him, and he's a big enough name that he would bring excitement to the program. I know he loves Chicago, but Stevens loved Indy but still knew when it was time to move on when he realized he'd accomplished everything he could at a program that small. Outside of Brad Stevens, Moser is the one guy I'd give a blank check to.

Of all the talk about coaches we will never get (Stevens, Beard), why isn't anyone's fantasy Porter Moser? He brings excitement, midwest connections - especially in Chicago where IU hasn't recruited well in years - and like Stevens he's brought a mid-major team to a Final Four. He's young and his players seem to love him, and he's a big enough name that he would bring excitement to the program. I know he loves Chicago, but Stevens loved Indy but still knew when it was time to move on when he realized he'd accomplished everything he could at a program that small. Outside of Brad Stevens, Moser is the one guy I'd give a blank check to.
I would love the hire,the guy can coach. He excites me more than Beard or Fife.

Reactions: limestonecowboy

Blank check?

I looked at his record and IMO, it is not terribly impressive.

.614 overall and .568 conference at ALR - three years.
.432 and .306 at ISU - four years.
.571 and .500 at Loyola - ten years.
Losing conference record the first six years at Loyola. I doubt our fanbase would tolerate taking that long to get going.

The last four have been good but an overall .547 winning % does not inspire confidence for me.

Might as well rehire archie miller if we are going to do that. Smh. I question if some of you realize that we are indiana basketball?

Did Archie Miller make it to the Final Four? Because Moser might make it to two by the end of Monday. When Brad Stevens did that, everyone here was ready to give their first born to have him as their coach - and Stevens did it with NBA players on the roster. We'd be lucky to get Moser - he brings an excitement and personality that Miller didn't.

Reactions: jac79 and Im4iu89
He also brings a whopping two NCAAT appearances in 20 years. Two! If he's such a great candidate, why was nobody talking about him before the Illinois game?

Moser is in a one-bid league, the tournament champion. Here is his record for the last four seasons:

2017-18Loyola (IL)MVC38326.84210.381.81Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion; NCAA Tournament; NCAA FF
2018-19Loyola (IL)MVC342014.5883.99-0.16Reg. Season Champion
2019-20Loyola (IL)MVC322111.6565.700.54
2020-21Loyola (IL)MVC30264.86715.721.2217Reg. Season Champion; Conf. Tournament Champion; NCAA Tournament

Have your watched his team play. They play hard the entire time. Play great defense, and the offense is one of the best I have seen this year.

He also brings a whopping two NCAAT appearances in 20 years. Two! If he's such a great candidate, why was nobody talking about him before the Illinois game?
I posted this 5 days before the Illinois game, so not sure how you can say that "nobody (was) talking about him before the Illinois game". Did you expect him to turn Loyola Chicago into a powerhouse overnight? This is why nobody wants the IU job! It took him 7 years to turn Loyola from a school in which most people didn't even realize they had a basketball team to a team that's had more success in three years than IU has had in almost 20 and you're complaining that it took him too long.

I'd rather have Musselman, but he'd be an okay consolation prize.

At least he would have head coaching experience.

There’s no way it’s Porter. When the $10 million was given the tourney hadn’t even started and I can’t imagine Dolson sought money with the hopes of hiring Porter, HOWEVER if Porter is hired it pretty much says we suck and can’t get a big time coach cause no way was he the original pick

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Blank check?

I looked at his record and IMO, it is not terribly impressive.

.614 overall and .568 conference at ALR - three years.
.432 and .306 at ISU - four years.
.571 and .500 at Loyola - ten years.
Losing conference record the first six years at Loyola. I doubt our fanbase would tolerate taking that long to get going.

The last four have been good but an overall .547 winning % does not inspire confidence for me.
Exactly...... His record is marginal at best. Basically 2 really good seasons. Sound familiar anyone? Can i hear you say orange clappy man reincarnated.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Did Archie Miller make it to the Final Four? Because Moser might make it to two by the end of Monday. When Brad Stevens did that, everyone here was ready to give their first born to have him as their coach - and Stevens did it with NBA players on the roster. We'd be lucky to get Moser - he brings an excitement and personality that Miller didn't.
He may not win but he'll bring excitement and personality by golly! LMFAO!

Just NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....JFC. I cannot believe this is being discussed---Like, AT ALL. Look, he has more LOSING seasons[4], than NCAAT[2] in his 10 seasons at Loyola. After his FF run in 2018....which was damn near gifted(beat a 7 and a 9 in the regionals), his last two teams(2019/2020) went a combined 41-25. No NCAAT. Yes I realize last year was a COVID year. But that team wasn't getting in. They were 21-11, 2nd in the MVC, losing to 7 seed Valpo in the first round of the Valley. They were 101st in KenPom...103rd in the BPI.....That team was not getting in.

So...................His last 4 seasons went like this:

32-6 Final Four
20-14 NIT(lost first round)
21-11 COVID---As mentioned, was not getting in.
26-4 Currently in SW 16.

So in two if past 4 seasons, he has missed the NCAAT. Sound familiar? It should. We fired a guy four years with almost the exactsame results.

Moser is a flavor....Had they lost to Illinois---his name isn't mentioned. I mean people have all but forgotten that 2018 Final Four...And Why? Because his two teams after that sucked ass. But hey, they are good again.....Beat Illinois.....So, shit, lets hire the guy..

Just NOOOOOOO. Would be a terrible hire.

I feel that Porter Moser is Steve Pikiell. But honestly, that sounds much better than Archie Miller. Moser will have better talent than Pikiell has at RU.

There’s no way it’s Porter. When the $10 million was given the tourney hadn’t even started and I can’t imagine Dolson sought money with the hopes of hiring Porter, HOWEVER if Porter is hired it pretty much says we suck and can’t get a big time coach cause no way was he the original pick
Moser wouldn’t take the IU job in a million years. He’s already independently wealthy (huge family money), so you’re not going to motivate him to take a job for a pay raise. He’s born and raised in Chicago and coaching at a relatively low pressure gig and having a lot of success. Zero chance he’d consider moving from Tom Rickett’s old mansion (which he bought a couple years ago.... again, big family money) down to Bloomington to coach at a program that hasn’t done as much in 20 years as what he’s managed to do out of the MVC in the last 4.

Loyola's defeat of Illinois was one of the best-coached games I've ever seen. If I were a player, Moser's the guy I would most love to play for. He could keep most if not all of our current guys from jumping ship. He can be the guy we HOPED Archie Miller would be. With a Marquette offer out of the way, IU should be able to get him. I hope we do.

Moser wouldn’t take the IU job in a million years. He’s already independently wealthy (huge family money), so you’re not going to motivate him to take a job for a pay raise. He’s born and raised in Chicago and coaching at a relatively low pressure gig and having a lot of success. Zero chance he’d consider moving from Tom Rickett’s old mansion (which he bought a couple years ago.... again, big family money) down to Bloomington to coach at a program that hasn’t done as much in 20 years as what he’s managed to do out of the MVC in the last 4.
Just NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....JFC. I cannot believe this is being discussed---Like, AT ALL. Look, he has more LOSING seasons[4], than NCAAT[2] in his 10 seasons at Loyola. After his FF run in 2018....which was damn near gifted(beat a 7 and a 9 in the regionals), his last two teams(2019/2020) went a combined 41-25. No NCAAT. Yes I realize last year was a COVID year. But that team wasn't getting in. They were 21-11, 2nd in the MVC, losing to 7 seed Valpo in the first round of the Valley. They were 101st in KenPom...103rd in the BPI.....That team was not getting in.

So...................His last 4 seasons went like this:

32-6 Final Four
20-14 NIT(lost first round)
21-11 COVID---As mentioned, was not getting in.
26-4 Currently in SW 16.

So in two if past 4 seasons, he has missed the NCAAT. Sound familiar? It should. We fired a guy four years with almost the exactsame results.

Moser is a flavor....Had they lost to Illinois---his name isn't mentioned. I mean people have all but forgotten that 2018 Final Four...And Why? Because his two teams after that sucked ass. But hey, they are good again.....Beat Illinois.....So, shit, lets hire the guy..

Just NOOOOOOO. Would be a terrible hire

We're talking Loyola of Chicago. That program has been complete garbage since the late sixties.

So his relative performance has been off the charts.

Put it this way, 100 years from now they'll look at Loyola's records and ask 'what the F was going on in the late teens and early 20's??!!! The answer will be that's when they had Moser.

Tiny Loyola has the number one defense in the country. That's unheard of for a mid major. The great Archie at Dayton who was known as a defensive coach never got anywhere close to #1 (I think the high 30's was the high mark) which for a mid major ain't bad....but that's nothing to what this Loyola team has done this year.

Lastly, that flash in a pan season had an offensive efficiency (going off memory from that defensive video) of around 1.09 and a defensive efficiency of 0.94.

This year's team is around 1.12 offensively and a ridiculous 0.85 defensively.

Yeah, it's a better team than his flavor of the month team.

And they just pistol whipped a 1 seed.

Regardless of his underwhelming career record....thats impressive as hell.

We're talking Loyola of Chicago. That program has been complete garbage since the late sixties.

So his relative performance has been off the charts.

Put it this way, 100 years from now they'll look at Loyola's records and ask 'what the F was going on in the late teens and early 20's??!!! The answer will be that's when they had Moser.

Tiny Loyola has the number one defense in the country. That's unheard of for a mid major. The great Archie at Dayton who was known as a defensive coach never got anywhere close to #1 (I think the high 30's was the high mark) which for a mid major ain't bad....but that's nothing to what this Loyola team has done this year.

Lastly, that flash in a pan season had an offensive efficiency (going off memory from that defensive video) of around 1.09 and a defensive efficiency of 0.94.

This year's team is around 1.12 offensively and a ridiculous 0.85 defensively.

Yeah, it's a better team than his flavor of the month team.

And they just pistol whipped a 1 seed.

Regardless of his underwhelming career record....thats impressive as hell.

All good points, but would he come to IU?

He has a job now where he flies totally under the media spotlight. Heck, NU basketball gets way more media coverage here, not to mention the Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, Sox/Cubs, Illini, even DePaul.

Expectations and pressure are probably more intense for a catholic high school coach.

Would he consider the IU fishbowl?

Illinois I can see, if the Underwood domino falls. But IU?

All good points, but would he come to IU?

He has a job now where he flies totally under the media spotlight. Heck, NU basketball gets way more media coverage here, not to mention the Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, Sox/Cubs, Illini, even DePaul.

Expectations and pressure are probably more intense for a catholic high school coach.

Would he consider the IU fishbowl?

Illinois I can see, if the Underwood domino falls. But IU?
No way. That’s my point. His family’s fortune is vast. He’s already the recipient of generational wealth from his family’s estate. If you don’t need the money, why would you leave a low stress job in your hometown to come to Bloomington?

No way. That’s my point. His family’s fortune is vast. He’s already the recipient of generational wealth from his family’s estate. If you don’t need the money, why would you leave a low stress job in your hometown to come to Bloomington?

Interesting info to consider. I would think that it's worth talking with him to find out for sure though. People are driven by a variety of things, the least interesting of which is money.

Reactions: Vassar69
His job will be easier with the amount of talent he can bring in.

Interesting info to consider. I would think that it's worth talking with him to find out for sure though. People are driven by a variety of things, the least interesting of which is money.

And if he says:

“Thank you for showing interest. Of course I am interested. IU basketball is a very special program.”

What does that mean?

I am not in any way suggesting that Moser would lead IU on, that he would allow us to pursue him so that he could leverage that into something else. Rather, what I am suggesting is that I would think ANY of our prospects would say that they have interest.

To be blunt, I am concerned that we have been convinced that everyone we have pursued (or are currently pursuing) at some point have been high probability options, just because they listened and said they were interested.

I agree, he is very worthy of consideration... Under the radar, yes, low key expectations from the alum/fans, yes along with producing a quality and formidable team that really play well at both ends of the court... Big plus, his players seam to love playing for him...

Who knows, he might have always been waiting on the "Right team to come calling" Go ahead knock on his door, he could be the one!!!

Reactions: CriticArisen
I am not sure that Moser would leave Loyola. He was fired once and then Loyola gave him a chance. I think that he has loyalty to Loyola as a result. He is wealthy already, so the money is not likely a driving issue. Does he really need the pressure that the IU fanbase would place upon him? I am not sure that he wants it.

As a Purdue fan, I hope that he does not go to IU. I think that he is very good. He would have the ability to retain almost all of the current team and make them much better. Plus he could recruit a a higher level immediately.

I see Loyola getting to the EE and 50/50 (against Houston) to the FF. For that school it is amazing. He beat the #1 seed so it is not as if he lucked into anything in the region. Gonzaga was an afterthought prior to Few. They are not now. I can see Loyola following a similar path. Moser's success is more than luck. Shaka had one great run, Moser now has likely two. Loyola has good academics, a nice urban campus and a media center. They can overtake DePaul and NW for the Midwest private college team to play for.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
Of all the candidates being discussed by many fans, hiring Moser would be IU saying, well, it didn’t work with hiring Crean and Miller based on NCAAT runs, but THIS time it’ll work out.

Hard pass for me.

Bring in Woody.

Sorry but 6-10 white dudes that run on their tippy toes, have a terrible mustache, have baby fat and shoot little hook shots will not get it done in the big ten in a 20 game season, no way no how

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT