ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Players Who "Might" Be Able To Help Us Immediately

G Marcus Carr (MN)

C Walker Kessler (NC) [but from the state of Georgia]

G Kellen Grady (Davidson)

I'd imagine there's at least a couple more...

Of course if we bring two of those three in, we can't bring more than 5 of the 7 of our guys in the Portal now back..

It may turn out that those who stayed played the smarter hand than those in the Portal...

Those in the Portal did Woodson a huge favor by allowing him to choose who he asks back (re-recruits)...
6-11 jack nunge of Iowa is doing the transfer to be closer to his family located in Evansville.

What the heck are you talking about?

Lidy didn't recruit kids, he was too much of a military/disciple guy to do that. I grew up watching the guys that started Castle's success play with my brother who was 5 years older than me.

When I then played, all the kids that were key players played in the 4-6 grade leagues from Chandler and Newburgh. We then played as one team, running the same offense and defense as the Varsity stating in 7th grade.

That was Castle's success.... along with being way ahead over everyone else in weight lifting.
What years did you play? were you on those Air Castle squads? Ha ha... Lidy was such a great guy. He was my drivers Ed teacher and I loved just listening to him tell stories about anything when we drove. I’m a couple years older than his son Vince and graduated just before that team won state. RIP Coach

What years did you play? were you on those Air Castle squads? Ha ha... Lidy was such a great guy. He was my drivers Ed teacher and I loved just listening to him tell stories about anything when we drove. I’m a couple years older than his son Vince and graduated just before that team won state. RIP Coach
83-86.

A fellow cake eater. Nobody outside the Evansville area will know what that means.

A friend of mine is an IU alum and friend of the Nunge family. They traveled together to Bloomington, Illinois and purdue to watch Jack. Losing his dad was devastating.

Evansville would be great but maybe too close with friends and distant acquaintances requesting too much access. He hasa lot of choices. WKU is popular for area kids too.
It’s also a Mighty Ducks thing too. 90’s kids know the saying.

Agree. Not sure all of them should come back. I would like Lander and Geronimo for sure. Lot of upside with those two. Race is solid role player and would benefit us if he really wants to be here. Franklin had some real upside, but he needs consistency. His defense is a big help and keeping him could go a long way to building a solid team. If we get one of those last two I mentioned, and the first two, then I think we are Ok. Keep TJD one more year and add a good transfer or two and we can make the tourney next year for sure.
You're actually hesitating to want Thompson?

Thompson is a hell of a player with two more years to go (I think). When has he ever done anything to suggest he doesn't "want to be here"? Hell, he endured a crappy injury on the bench and then, this year, played as hard with his plexiglas mask as he did without it.

I think Thompson is one of the most improved players on our roster. He's nimble and fast for his size. He always plays hard. He can't be effective if he is the only big on the front line but he's definitely worth keeping.

Jwill said recruiting won't be a problem for Woodson as WWW would be a big help with that.
Does the compliance staff and Thad Matta agree WWW should be involved?

I thought we criticized Calipari when he used WWW.

What shoe contracts does WWW promote these days?

You're actually hesitating to want Thompson?

Thompson is a hell of a player with two more years to go (I think). When has he ever done anything to suggest he doesn't "want to be here"? Hell, he endured a crappy injury on the bench and then, this year, played as hard with his plexiglas mask as he did without it.

I think Thompson is one of the most improved players on our roster. He's nimble and fast for his size. He always plays hard. He can't be effective if he is the only big on the front line but he's definitely worth keeping.
Only that I read he was considering transferring back close to home. I only want a player who wants to be here is all I was saying.

What the heck are you talking about?

Lidy didn't recruit kids, he was too much of a military/disciple guy to do that. I grew up watching the guys that started Castle's success play with my brother who was 5 years older than me.

When I played, all the kids that were key players played in the 4-6 grade leagues from Chandler and Newburgh. We then played as one team, running the same offense and defense as the Varsity stating in 7th grade.

That was Castle's success.... along with being way ahead of everyone else in weight lifting.
Remember a kid named Bo Billick that was a QB at Castle? He and his family lived 2 houses down from me in the Harrison district. Our friend's son was a lineman for Castle and told how the team laughed about the story his parents had separated and his dad moved to Newburgh . The problem with the story was the parents lived together on our street.

The same year, a running back from Bosse "moved". While Bo could drive to school from Evansville, the kid from Bosse couldn't. The kid was worried he couldn't get to school, but the coaches told him they would see that he got a ride to school.

It's done all the time now, but Lidy was a pioneer.

Remember a kid named Bo Billick that was a QB at Castle? He and his family lived 2 houses down from me in the Harrison district. Our friend's son was a lineman for Castle and told how the team laughed about the story his parents had separated and his dad moved to Newburgh . The problem with the story was the parents lived together on our street.

The same year, a running back from Bosse "moved". While Bo could drive to school from Evansville, the kid from Bosse couldn't. The kid was worried he couldn't get to school, but the coaches told him they would see that he got a ride to school.

It's done all the time now, but Lidy was a pioneer.
Well after my time, so I never saw it at Castle.

I can tell you, Mitch Marsh wanted me to come to Harrison. In fact I worked out with their QBs for two summers as an incoming Fr and as a So. And Evv Memorial recruited my brother to play QB and baseball and a top slot receiver heavily in the late 70s/early 80s, so I would still say he was not a pioneer.

I do also remember Ev Memorial getting sanctioned for recruiting when I came back to coach baseball at Harrison in the very early 90s.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Not a lot of production his JR but with the free COVID year he'd be here 2 years if he wanted to be (I think)... With some hard work and coaching he might be able to help us off the bench next year and develop into a starter by year 2... Maybe...(?)

Nice find HH...😎
I assume he's smart, Harvard and all. Besides, all the good teams have a European 😉

Reactions: 76-1

I can tell you, Mitch Marsh wanted me to come to Harrison. In fact I worked out with their QBs for two summers as an incoming Fr and as a So. And Evv Memorial recruited my brother to play QB and baseball and a top slot receiver heavily in the late 70s/early 80s, so I would still say he was not a pioneer.

I do also remember Ev Memorial getting sanctioned for recruiting when I came back to coach baseball at Harrison in the very early 90s.
I went to Castle late 80s/early 90s and there was a lot of talk about Memorial recruiting and poaching kids from public schools. One baseball player told me Memorial’s starting line up was almost exclusively from Henderson, Ky.

I do also remember Ev Memorial getting sanctioned for recruiting when I came back to coach baseball at DoHarrison in the very early 90s
Bruce Dockery was a cheater many times over. I couldn't believe Memorial gave him the AD position as well as girls coach. He showed up at a summer league game to try to get us to send our daughter to Memorial. Nothing wrong with that because they are a private school, but he told me she could go tuition free. Only select low income kids get that deal. The girls in my daughter's grade lost 1 game in 3 years , 6-8 grade. A parent was trying to get 4 of us to attend together. Only his daughter went to Memorial. The other 3 went to Harrison and won 2 of the school's 3 sectional titles in school histor.

This parent from Memorial showed up to our game at Castle with Dockery. The parent started videotaping the game. I got our coaches attention and pointed at the parent. The Castle and Harrison coach knew the parent had tried to recruit our girls and was in Dockery's pocket.

Castle and Harrison turned Memorial in and Memorial was placed on probation. I wished I had turned Dockery in years earlier. He got in trouble a year later for something related to recruiting a girl from North

The bad part is my grandkids will likely go to Memorial and I will have to cheer for them! It will be like cheering for Kentucky.

Reactions: mk23
Last edited:

Googled him. Solid young man. Can he play at this level? Didn't see him in the Portal... (??)
He can certainly shoot the ball and has pretty good athleticism! Can he defend at D1? We do need shooters and he is 6'5"

• Sad
Reactions: 76-1
I hope you're wrong... Race is one of the guys who appears to be committed to putting the hard work in to get better...
I hope I am wrong too, but I can’t get over what Rob let slip.

Kyle Mangas was a former Indiana HS All-Star, who was named back-to-back NAIA National Player of the year and won the Bevo Francis Award twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucy01 and 76-1
I see Marcus Carr from Minny mentioned but what about Mashburn. Is he also in the Portal?

Keion Brooks Jr might be entering the Tranfer Portal. Could Brooks be reunited with his AAU teammate TJD at IU?

ADVERTISEMENT