Portal Players Who "Might" Be Able To Help Us Immediately

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
G Marcus Carr (MN)

C Walker Kessler (NC) [but from the state of Georgia]

G Kellen Grady (Davidson)

I'd imagine there's at least a couple more...

Of course if we bring two of those three in, we can't bring more than 5 of the 7 of our guys in the Portal now back..

It may turn out that those who stayed played the smarter hand than those in the Portal...

Those in the Portal did Woodson a huge favor by allowing him to choose who he asks back (re-recruits)...

Last edited:
Durham, Henderson, thanks and goodbye. Get Lander and Geronimo back for sure. I'd put a maybe on Race (not sure he wants to be here), Franklin and Stewart. All depends on who you can land from the portal... In some ways I think it might be good to let some of these players see some new scenery.

Reactions: jsbanks
Durham, Henderson, thanks and goodbye. Get Lander and Geronimo back for sure. I'd put a maybe on Race (not sure he wants to be here), Franklin and Stewart. All depends on who you can land from the portal... In some ways I think it might be good to let some of these players see some new scenery.
Agree. Not sure all of them should come back. I would like Lander and Geronimo for sure. Lot of upside with those two. Race is solid role player and would benefit us if he really wants to be here. Franklin had some real upside, but he needs consistency. His defense is a big help and keeping him could go a long way to building a solid team. If we get one of those last two I mentioned, and the first two, then I think we are Ok. Keep TJD one more year and add a good transfer or two and we can make the tourney next year for sure.

i think "Henderson" coming back would be a big surprise.

i know i would be surprised..

Franklin and lander should be the priorities on our team. Race and Geronimo are gone.

Did Rob enter the portal? If not, I’d highly recommend Woody ask him to GTFO.

Reactions: mk23
G Marcus Carr (MN)

Of course if we bring two of those three in, we can't bring more than 5 of the 7 of our guys in the Portal now back..

It may turn out that those who stayed played the smarter hand than those in the Portal...

Those in the Portal did Woodson a huge favor by allowing him to choose who he asks back (re-recruits)...

Have liked Carr for a long time. He'd be a beast as a Hoosier.

I hope that everyone but Al comes back. I do agree that it's not at all a bad thing that they entered the portal, because now CMW gets to decide if he wants them at IU or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndhuntington
I’d welcome back any of our current players that are on board with whatever Coach Woodson sees as their role on his team.

Hopefully we get a couple big/forwards, and a couple guards to come back at least. And then bring in a few guys from the portal.

Marcus Carr would be amazing. The big from UNC. Powell from Auburn. The Duke guard that just announced. There are a lot of high quality kids I hope we get in on here soon. Assuming Woodson wants to go that route.

Reactions: outlawyer and 76-1
G Marcus Carr (MN)

Just please, anyone, someone who can shoot at this point. I don't want to hear the words wingspan or measurables again until we get someone who can shoot the ball.

Hearing that WWW should be a big help with recruiting. Let's siphon some recruits from Cal's pipeline.

Franklin and lander should be the priorities on our team. Race and Geronimo are gone.

Did Rob enter the portal? If not, I’d highly recommend Woody ask him to GTFO.
I think Race goes to MN. I wish him well.
I want Geronimo back but his mom tweeted wanting him closer to home. I think he is gone.

There seems to be a lot of 2021 recruits who are still undecided. The Tamar Bates kid wants out of his Texas commitment now that Shaka is leaving. Maybe he follows Shaka who knows. The undecided commits can't use the excuse that Woodson has not shown interest yet. Besides Bates, I think the same florida academy in Bradenton has a couple of center ranked pretty highly. Maybe CMW can make a trip to that academy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
G Marcus Carr (MN)

I would like to see Franklin, Lander and Stewart come back even though I have never see Steward play. I believe Geronimo will end up closer to home from comments his Family has made. While I feel he may have been a AJ More type contributor by the time he was a Jr, I also feel he is replaceable. Same for Thompson, especially if Brunk decides to play one more year. I would stay away from Marcus Carr because he seems to me to be a handful for a coach and not really a 100% team player. Go for a couple of shooters and a true Center/PF type and we should be good, especially having a coaching staff that will work on specifics. I also think that playing straight up man-to-man defense with switching on PnR is easier and more effective that the gimmicky packline defense.

Reactions: jsbanks and 76-1
You forgot (and no one can blame you as we all tired of it) : deflections
Every team in the country from college to pro in some way tracks deflections, or defensive disruption. Every.

but not every coach goes on TV spastically waving a piece of paper around bleating incessantly about them like an tweaky crazy person.

Don't hate the stat, hate the crazy orange person.

Last edited:
An interesting prospect at the backup C/PF position might be Ira Lee from Arizona.... He's a Grad Transfer who has decent numbers percentage-wise; of course 80% of his shots might have been thirty variations of a lay up so I'm not sure his percentages tell us much... I'm just going by what I've read about him... Has anyone seen him play? Could he help us?

Hearing U of E locally. I live in Newburgh.
A fellow cake eater. Nobody outside the Evansville area will know what that means.

A friend of mine is an IU alum and friend of the Nunge family. They traveled together to Bloomington, Illinois and purdue to watch Jack. Losing his dad was devastating.

Evansville would be great but maybe too close with friends and distant acquaintances requesting too much access. He hasa lot of choices. WKU is popular for area kids too.

A fellow cake eater. Nobody outside the Evansville area will know what that means.

A friend of mine is an IU alum and friend of the Nunge family. They traveled together to Bloomington, Illinois and purdue to watch Jack. Losing his dad was devastating.

Evansville would be great but maybe too close with friends and distant acquaintances requesting too much access. He hasa lot of choices. WKU is popular for area kids too.
I'm from Evansville and do not know what that means. Then again, I left in 1980. So maybe it was something that happened after that or I just forgot.

I'm from Evansville and do not know what that means. Then again, I left in 1980. So maybe it was something that happened after that or I just forgot.
Really? West side people call East side and Newburgh people Cake eaters as in "let them eat cake". I first heard the term after moving here in '89 when asked where I was looking to live. When I said East side or Newburgh, they called me a Cake Eater. I heard the reference many times over the years when we played a West side school.

Westsiders often grew up and lived in the same neighborhoods and families struggled with the thought of loved ones moving east. The East side is where people settled that were relocating from other areas. I guess they think we live like royalty? Maybe we do!

Reactions: NeiswingerIU
Lidy was a great recruiter.
What the heck are you talking about?

Lidy didn't recruit kids, he was too much of a military/disciple guy to do that. I grew up watching the guys that started Castle's success play with my brother who was 5 years older than me.

When I played, all the kids that were key players played in the 4-6 grade leagues from Chandler and Newburgh. We then played as one team, running the same offense and defense as the Varsity stating in 7th grade.

That was Castle's success.... along with being way ahead of everyone else in weight lifting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT