ADVERTISEMENT

"Pork and Beans" vs. "Baked Beans"

giphy.gif

They are different....I prefer to use VanCamp's Pork & Beans to make my baked beans.
If by "make my baked beans," you mean "heat them up in a sauce pan," then you are okay, although I think Bush's Grillin' Beans line is better for lazy bean-making.

If by "make my baked beans," you mean to actually bake beans, the proper starting ingredient doesn't come from a can:
2861.jpg

By the way, this holds true whether your baked beans are actually baked, or you use a crock pot, or you do them the right way, which is slow cooked over an open flame in a lidded cast iron pot.

If by "make my baked beans," you mean "heat them up in a sauce pan," then you are okay, although I think Bush's Grillin' Beans line is better for lazy bean-making.

If by "make my baked beans," you mean to actually bake beans, the proper starting ingredient doesn't come from a can:
2861.jpg

By the way, this holds true whether your baked beans are actually baked, or you use a crock pot, or you do them the right way, which is slow cooked over an open flame in a lidded cast iron pot.

I wanted to hit like, but I was too lazy. Bush's is better. Slow cooked over an open flame in a lidded cast iron pot? Have you done that Clark?

I wanted to hit like, but I was too lazy. Bush's is better. Slow cooked over an open flame in a lidded cast iron pot? Have you done that Clark?
AKA "Dutch oven," but I wanted to specify cast iron, because you gotta get the details right.

Haven't you ever been camping?

dutch_oven_campfireWEB.jpg

Another way to do it, if you have a really big pot with a tight seal on the lid, is to bury the pot in the ground and build the fire over it, then let them cook for a good 24 hours or more. I used to attend the infamous "Lowell George Memorial BBQ and Pig Roast" here in northern Indiana (or "northern northern Kentucky," as TMP might call it), and a giant pot of slow-cooked bean hole beans was a big part of the festivities.

AKA "Dutch oven," but I wanted to specify cast iron, because you gotta get the details right.

Another way to do it, if you have a really big pot with a tight seal on the lid, is to bury the pot in the ground and build the fire over it, then let them cook for a good 24 hours or more. I used to attend the infamous "Lowell George Memorial BBQ and Pig Roast" here in northern Indiana (or "northern northern Kentucky," as TMP might call it), and a giant pot of slow-cooked bean hole beans was a big part of the festivities.

I go camping at least annually. But when I go I do things like hike, swim, fish, canoe, sit around a campfire or take a nap. Cooking is not part of my desirable camping routines. If I'm eating beans while camping, you can bet it's Bushs or similar. I wonder if C$ looks forward to taking a shit in the woods if he goes camping?

Reactions: mike41703 and C-$
Are they different or the same?

Discuss.
Yes, I believe they are the same...

Similar in origin to any old-time bean recipe (like my personal specialty, red beans and rice)... The leftover Sunday ham, usually just the hambone, was put into a pot with beans and put over the fire for several hours. Hence the name, pork and beans. The different parts of the country would use different things to add flavor. Brown sugar (molasses) in the upper east, spices in the southwest, typical French ingredients in old Louisiana to give each area their own style. Except in Texas... there are no beans in pork and beans in Texas!

I go camping at least annually. But when I go I do things like hike, swim, fish, canoe, sit around a campfire or take a nap. Cooking is not part of my desirable camping routines. If I'm eating beans while camping, you can bet it's Bushs or similar. I wonder if C$ looks forward to taking a shit in the woods if he goes camping?

We are camping in BCSP right now. I agree with this post entirely.

Reactions: kkott
No fuss. I've recently been adding a little (1 tsp-1TBsp) of ground mustard. If I want to get fancy I could fry up some additional bacon. Never thought about it really until just now.

602-2904-Hero-Country-Style.jpg

Reactions: kkott

2861.jpg

Interesting ...

Never ever made them from scratch. If I were 'making baked beans' I'd start with the VanCamp's mentioned.

Food for thought and we have a long summer ahead ... thx, pal.

I'm not sure any baked beans are worth that time element. That's why Bush's are preferred. I might try the 'complete from scratch' once just to do it. But I highly doubt they will be worth the time involved from popping open a can. (Except for eliminating the additives, of course.)

I'm not sure any baked beans are worth that time element. That's why Bush's are preferred. I might try the 'complete from scratch' once just to do it. But I highly doubt they will be worth the time involved from popping open a can. (Except for eliminating the additives, of course.)
This.

I haven't checked because again, I don't like beans, but I'm guessing most canned baked beans are loaded with high fructose corn syrup.

Are they different or the same?

Discuss.
I've never made baked beans or pork and beans, but I know the right amount of brown sugar is an essential part. Seems there is some ketchup in there as well. Is the difference between the two the presence of the hunk of fat they put in the can?

My mom used to cut slices of Spam and line them around the outside of a bowl of baked beans. After it all baked together, it was something I looked forward to as a kid. I believe my Grandma made that dish, but I don't know how common it was. It was better than beanie weenies and is the only way I ever saw someone use Spam.

My mom used to cut slices of Spam and line them around the outside of a bowl of baked beans. After it all baked together, it was something I looked forward to as a kid. I believe my Grandma made that dish, but I don't know how common it was. It was better than beanie weenies and is the only way I ever saw someone use Spam.
Spam is awesome.

SPAM-Lip-Glaze-Balm_13508-l.jpg

We were too poor for Spam and settled for Treet.

prod_treet_12oz.jpg

along with Chek sodas

67874L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Moops

I smoke baked beans.

Only way to eat 'em.
Yep. Throw in kidney beans, black beans, garbanzos, or whatever you want into an aluminum pan. Mix in chopped onion, Serrano, chipotles, and garlic. Some diced tomatoes. Black pepper. Salt. Other seasonings you like. Some BBQ sauce. Brown sugar. Honey or molasses. A bit of soy sauce and Dijon mustard and Bourbon . Mix. Cover with bacon. Smoke for a hour and a half or so. Done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT