• Safety

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Transfer

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

gohoosiers1984Not

Benchwarmer
Aug 31, 2017
After re-watching highlight, I don't think Penix will be a QB. Personally, I believe he will be a WR. Imagine the memes!

"Penix Goes Long"

Or

"Penix gets up, and snags the ball"

Haha

I don't think he came to IU to be a WR. I think he was probably told he would be a qb although I doubt he got any guarantee to start next year.
OH there's no doubt he'll get a shot at QB and that he wants to win the job. I just don't think he'll pan out there. His mechanics are all wrong. Hell of an athlete though.

Reactions: vesuvius13
OH there's no doubt he'll get a shot at QB and that he wants to win the job. I just don't think he'll pan out there. His mechanics are all wrong. Hell of an athlete though.

The same could have probably been said of the last two hiesman winners. I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion but at this level it's not a deal breaker even if true.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Penix doesn't have a classic throwing motion, what left does, but he has a quick release and a strong arm. I find most people think lefty QBs have a weird throwing motion. Reports are that at QB camps regional ect, he out performed higher rated QBs.

Penix doesn't have a classic throwing motion, what left does, but he has a quick release and a strong arm. I find most people think lefty QBs have a weird throwing motion. Reports are that at QB camps regional ect, he out performed higher rated QBs.

Calbert Cheaney was the first left-handed basketball player I ever saw who was so smooth that you very quickly forgot that he was a lefty (and I'm left-handed).

I haven't watched any of Penix's film, but I find it hilarious that some here have declared him the next starter, and some have said he won't make it at QB. All this before he's taken his first step as a student at IU. Maybe we should watch the spring game first!

His release point is so low though. Passes will be easy to bat down at the line or intercepted by backers.

Calbert Cheaney was the first left-handed basketball player I ever saw who was so smooth that you very quickly forgot that he was a lefty (and I'm left-handed).

I haven't watched any of Penix's film, but I find it hilarious that some here have declared him the next starter, and some have said he won't make it at QB. All this before he's taken his first step as a student at IU. Maybe we should watch the spring game first!
Nothing much else to talk about.

You must be a Purdue fan. Penix WILL be a starting QB here. He's fine. He didn't recieve a 4 star ranking playing in FLA for nothing.

Reactions: td75
After re-watching highlight, I don't think Penix will be a QB. Personally, I believe he will be a WR. Imagine the memes!

"Penix Goes Long"

Or

Haha
Gotta confess, I don't care where he plays. But, with the likes of him and Reese Taylor on offense, I want to see many plays with both of them on the field. I can envision plays with snaps to either one and option plays in which either one can run, pass or pitch to the other one, who will also have run-pass options.
Have you ever watched a rugby match? You know how those guys kick conversions from any and every angle on the field? I want that to be a model for our center: He can snap the ball different directions on different plays. The defense can't be sure where the ball's going, who's going to get it and what he's going to do with it.
I just hope DeBord can draw up these plays!

You must be a Purdue fan. Penix WILL be a starting QB here. He's fine. He didn't recieve a 4 star ranking playing in FLA for nothing.
Watch his film and compare it to Tronti's. Penix' mechanics need an overhaul while Tronti is much more polished. He won't beat out Tronti and might not wait to get playing time.

His release point is so low though. Passes will be easy to bat down at the line or intercepted by backers.
I agree he release point is low. The same was said about Bennie Kosar when he played [Miami U and Cleveland Browns] but QB have to throw through windows because no QB can throw over DL hands. It all depends on how he moves his feet to find a crease to throw through.

I agree he release point is low. The same was said about Bennie Kosar when he played [Miami U and Cleveland Browns] but QB have to throw through windows because no QB can throw over DL hands. It all depends on how he moves his feet to find a crease to throw through.
Yes. Good footwork is important. I'm looking forward to the spring qb battle. I just hope our OC is up to the task. I fear he may go ultra conservative given our youth on offense.

You can never have too much depth at QB. As IU fans, we know that all too well. A few years back, our QB situation went from a position of strength and depth (Coffman, Roberson and Sudfeld) to disaster after Coffman and Roberson left, and Sudfeld was injured.

We've got some studs at this position again, including a 4* QB, and that bodes well for the future.

Watch his film and compare it to Tronti's. Penix' mechanics need an overhaul while Tronti is much more polished. He won't beat out Tronti and might not wait to get playing time.

We had a guy that everybody said had a killer arm and great throwing mechanics. Unfortunately, he didn't have the "it" factor and was immobile, routinely making costly turnovers.
If Penix delivers the ball where it is supposed to be and can escape pressure as he's shown, I could give a rat's ass if he gets it there throwing underarm.

Reactions: 76-1
I do agree with GoHoosiers though. Tronti will probably be the guy next year and is definitely the best QB that we have right now.

What are you basing this comment on?

I just think he has the best tools right now. Good size. Good mechanics. A year in the system. Strong arm. Strong body. Pretty balanced guy.

Penix needs to gain some weight and improve his mechanics.

Ramsey lacks arm strength.

I just think he has the best tools right now. Good size. Good mechanics. A year in the system. Strong arm. Strong body. Pretty balanced guy.

Ramsey also lacks durability. Let's see what Ballou can do.

We had a guy that everybody said had a killer arm and great throwing mechanics. Unfortunately, he didn't have the "it" factor and was immobile, routinely making costly turnovers.
If Penix delivers the ball where it is supposed to be and can escape pressure as he's shown, I could give a rat's ass if he gets it there throwing underarm.
If Tronti or Ramsey win the job, why not put the best players and athletes on the field? Why waste Penix on the bench if he won't surpass the other two?

Ramsey is 6’2, 210. Tronti is 6’2, 205.

And Zander Diamont was 185 pounds or at least that is what I read.
Ramsey isn’t exactly a toothpick, and he’s still in his RS freshman year.

_20170909_FB_UVA_CB_2444.JPG

13zzih4.jpg

Quick thoughts:

-Ramsey is pretty tough kid and to call him "not durable" b/c he took a pounding this year w/weak Oline seems unfair. Coaches kid, smart, mobile and I bet after this spring/summer his "arm strength" will be fine to throw deeper too.

-Tronti - don't think you are FL Mr. Football being a "good in HS only" player. Meaning I bet he's got good potential and from what we've seen/heard, works hard too. I like that he got a RS year to be on sidelines learning entire season. Hope he pushes Ramsey hard this spring/summer.

-Penix - don't think you become a 4* QB from FL if people haven't seen and assessed his game. Looks very athletic, and more importantly, seems to really take care of the FB given his TD/Int ratio (which we know TA appreciates taking care of FB on offense & creating Takeaways on Def). But his mechanics may need some tweaking and he'll only be a FR but is starting this spring which helps. I'm betting Ramsey/Tronti will be starter initially next year and unless needed, he might get the RS year too. But sure if he is too good to keep off field, they'll get him out there.

-R Taylor - I do like his potential, but "seems" like combo of his size & maybe his own desire to position himself for best shot at NFL may mean he is either a slot or CB. I like him with ball in his hands so hope he ends up on offense and the "could he be another ARE 2.0" in me still would love to see him get a shot at QB at least in some packages as they suggested.

Reactions: HOOS13R
Quick thoughts:

-Ramsey is pretty tough kid and to call him "not durable" b/c he took a pounding this year w/weak Oline seems unfair. Coaches kid, smart, mobile and I bet after this spring/summer his "arm strength" will be fine to throw deeper too.

-Tronti - don't think you are FL Mr. Football being a "good in HS only" player. Meaning I bet he's got good potential and from what we've seen/heard, works hard too. I like that he got a RS year to be on sidelines learning entire season. Hope he pushes Ramsey hard this spring/summer.

-Penix - don't think you become a 4* QB from FL if people haven't seen and assessed his game. Looks very athletic, and more importantly, seems to really take care of the FB given his TD/Int ratio (which we know TA appreciates taking care of FB on offense & creating Takeaways on Def). But his mechanics may need some tweaking and he'll only be a FR but is starting this spring which helps. I'm betting Ramsey/Tronti will be starter initially next year and unless needed, he might get the RS year too. But sure if he is too good to keep off field, they'll get him out there.

-R Taylor - I do like his potential, but "seems" like combo of his size & maybe his own desire to position himself for best shot at NFL may mean he is either a slot or CB. I like him with ball in his hands so hope he ends up on offense and the "could he be another ARE 2.0" in me still would love to see him get a shot at QB at least in some packages as they suggested.
Great problem to have: a glut of good QBs. I hope you are right about Ramsey. He is smart and efficient, but I'll believe his durability when I see it. And I'm not saying he's not tough, just it seems he gets banged up too easily for a QB we may need to run. There's a lot of punishment to take between the tackles.

I do agree with GoHoosiers though. Tronti will probably be the guy next year and is definitely the best QB that we have right now.

Why wasn't he more highly recruited coming out of HS. I believe the only other P5 offer was Arizona.

I think Tronti's situation is just weird. The guy is Mr Football in Florida and is barely recruited by any power 5 schools. It's just an odd deal, most people would expect a Mr Football from anywhere, especially FLORIDA, to have a much bigger recruitment.

I think Tronti's situation is just weird. The guy is Mr Football in Florida and is barely recruited by any power 5 schools. It's just an odd deal, most people would expect a Mr Football from anywhere, especially FLORIDA, to have a much bigger recruitment.

Thought chatter back then was QB's have a tendency to declare and get locked up earlier than most. Maybe he was being pidgeon holed initially and people assumed he was going to NC-Charlotte (right?)

IF he had an AZ offer that is legit D-1 offer. But do admit, if he were blowing up the season and had the size & tools people wanted, then that wouldn't have stopped most big time schools from reaching out further. Was it possible the CTA Florida ties helped? (Don't know, asking) Or was he seen as too small a school or not having the tools most thought needed for big time D1 FB?

Guess we'll all find out soon enough, but until he proves to be a dud, I'm going to say that it was a perfect storm of thought he was strongly committed elsewhere + one who slipped under the radar, and that IU may have gotten a really good one.

I do think Ramsey is going to make it hard for the others to unseat him - think he's got intangibles. But also think Tronti will push him. Think Penix will prove to be the real deal. And wouldn't be surprised if Taylor impresses with a few packages for him too.

May be the first time I feel somewhat excited by the QB pool & depth for IU, in conjunction with an entire year of all OL returning (bigger & stronger) plus a UM transfer 5th year who will likely start. It bodes well for the program ahead! Dilly Dilly

Reactions: HOOS13R and 76-1

"Penix Goes Long"

Or

Haha

Enough with the jokes about this young man's name! He has committed to travel a great distance away from his family to represent IU on the football field, and people here make childish jokes about his name.

We need to be better!

Thought chatter back then was QB's have a tendency to declare and get locked up earlier than most. Maybe he was being pidgeon holed initially and people assumed he was going to NC-Charlotte (right?)

IF he had an AZ offer that is legit D-1 offer. But do admit, if he were blowing up the season and had the size & tools people wanted, then that wouldn't have stopped most big time schools from reaching out further. Was it possible the CTA Florida ties helped? (Don't know, asking) Or was he seen as too small a school or not having the tools most thought needed for big time D1 FB?

Guess we'll all find out soon enough, but until he proves to be a dud, I'm going to say that it was a perfect storm of thought he was strongly committed elsewhere + one who slipped under the radar, and that IU may have gotten a really good one.

I do think Ramsey is going to make it hard for the others to unseat him - think he's got intangibles. But also think Tronti will push him. Think Penix will prove to be the real deal. And wouldn't be surprised if Taylor impresses with a few packages for him too.

May be the first time I feel somewhat excited by the QB pool & depth for IU, in conjunction with an entire year of all OL returning (bigger & stronger) plus a UM transfer 5th year who will likely start. It bodes well for the program ahead! Dilly Dilly
Weird recruitment indeed. After the state championship game the Gator board lit up about this kid and nobody knew why he wasn't offered. Talk was because he was only a 2 star Gator nation would go into meltdown mode. The coach that beat him in the state championship game that year was Pat Surtain who played for the Miami Dolphins and he said this after the game.

Afterward, American Heritage head coach Patrick Surtain said his team clinched its first undefeated season because it got the football in the hands of its playmakers. But, the first-year head coach who spent more than a decade as a defensive back in the NFL had high praise for Ponte Vedra’s No. 12.

“That’s one of the best quarterbacks in the state, if not the country,” Surtain said. “He is so underrated. He has a terrific arm, he is accurate, he can scramble, he is smart. He is everything you want in a quarterback. His intangibles are off the charts.”

He was a Charlotte commit forever but that would not stop the big boys from beating his door down. I do think the 6'2" is generous from what I've heard and that could very well be the reason why he slipped the the cracks. We are about to find out and soon me thinks! :)

Weird recruitment indeed. After the state championship game the Gator board lit up about this kid and nobody knew why he wasn't offered. Talk was because he was only a 2 star Gator nation would go into meltdown mode. The coach that beat him in the state championship game that year was Pat Surtain who played for the Miami Dolphins and he said this after the game.

Afterward, American Heritage head coach Patrick Surtain said his team clinched its first undefeated season because it got the football in the hands of its playmakers. But, the first-year head coach who spent more than a decade as a defensive back in the NFL had high praise for Ponte Vedra’s No. 12.

“That’s one of the best quarterbacks in the state, if not the country,” Surtain said. “He is so underrated. He has a terrific arm, he is accurate, he can scramble, he is smart. He is everything you want in a quarterback. His intangibles are off the charts.”

He was a Charlotte commit forever but that would not stop the big boys from beating his door down. I do think the 6'2" is generous from what I've heard and that could very well be the reason why he slipped the the cracks. We are about to find out and soon me thinks! :)
Whoever wins the job will look a whole lot better if can get the OL fixed.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I have watched Penix junior highlights a couple times. His mechanics are not exactly what you would teach as an example of perfect mechanics, but some of that will be improved with college coaching and some just doesn't matter. He has somewhat of a lower release point and has a very upright and weight back release. That said, even if mechanics where not changed, he has a lot of the skills necessary for college ball. He has a relatively quick release, he seems to find DL windows when necessary, he is pretty accurate, has good arm strength and reads the field pretty well. Think about the throws he is making somewhat straight legged and with a lot of weight on back foot. You have to have some arm strength to make those throws like that. I think some college coaching could make this young man something special. Remember we went to a bowl game in Tempe with a QB whose mechanics were often, at best, questionable and we made it there on his legs and his arm. I like this young man's potential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT