ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: is Trump’s usage of the term “pocohantas” racist?

Is Trump’s use of the word “pocohantas” racist?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe (explain later in the thread, please)

Results are only viewable after voting.

wiede

All-American
Sep 25, 2001
And I’m asking as it specifically relates to him calling Elizabeth Warren “pocohantas”.

If you feel like, please elaborate in a response to the thread. Pretty sure you guys already know where I stand ;)

Also, if anyone here has any Native American friends, I’d really be curious to hear their responses to this question. Or, if you happen to be or identify as Native American, please share your thoughts.

And I’m asking as it specifically relates to him calling Elizabeth Warren “pocohantas”.

If you feel like, please elaborate in a response to the thread. Pretty sure you guys already know where I stand ;)

Also, if anyone here has any Native American friends, I’d really be curious to hear their responses to this question. Or, if you happen to be or identify as Native American, please share your thoughts.

Offensive, sure. Racist? I don't get it.

He isn't claiming any aspects or characteristics are superior or inferior. He's using it to criticize Warren, who was exposed as lying about her heritage (even if it didn't get her any advantage).

Reactions: herrli
Agreed this isn't remotely racist. He isn't saying or implying anything negative about Native Americans. He is only using it to point out that Warren, a white person, lied about being Native American to boost what would likely otherwise have been a mediocre career. This isn't hard.

It's not a racist comment as much as it's a dog whistle for racists who can be counted on to jump up and explain why it's not really racist, which just makes them angrier and angrier at dark people for always calling white people racist, and solidifies the likelihood they will vote GOP in November.

People - especially bigots - are easy to manipulate.

It's not a racist comment as much as it's a dog whistle for racists who can be counted on to jump up and explain why it's not really racist, which just makes them angrier and angrier at dark people for always calling white people racist, and solidifies the likelihood they will vote GOP in November.

Is Trump trying to be some master manipulator by saying "Pocahontas", or is he just being belittling because that's who he is?

I identify as Native American.

But only when it will help get me a job at Harvard law....

Which is an inaccurate myth continually propagated by Trump, and his parrots that repeat everything he says. The organizations that could’ve used the info to help her have gone out of their way to say that the possible Native American ancestry played zero role in her being awarded her role.

It’s as if Trump has learned that if you repeat something enough, even if it’s blatantly untrue, you can make some people believe that it’s the truth.

The sad part is that Warren has a pretty amazing story. And all some folks can think about her is the nickname “pocohantas”. It’s pretty damn sickening.

BTW, this type of behavior/usage of press is what dictators do in third world countries. They basically create their own reality. Trump did it for years by leaking nasty stuff about others to the press. And also by leaking favorable info to him. Sometimes even in disguise. John Miller used to call people, and “John Miller” was clearly Trump. He got away with it for so long he can’t operate any other way at this point.

Thank god we have a free press to call him out on this type of thing. I just wish folks would start seeking the truth, instead of automatically parroting whatever right wing media/Trump (largely one and the same now) tell them is reality.

Which is an inaccurate myth continually propagated by Trump, and his parrots that repeat everything he says. The organizations that could’ve used the info to help her have gone out of their way to say that the possible Native American ancestry played zero role in her being awarded her role.

It’s as if Trump has learned that if you repeat something enough, even if it’s blatantly untrue, you can make some people believe that it’s the truth.

The sad part is that Warren has a pretty amazing story. And all some folks can think about her is the nickname “pocohantas”. It’s pretty damn sickening.

BTW, this type of behavior/usage of press is what dictators do in third world countries. They basically create their own reality. Trump did it for years by leaking nasty stuff about others to the press. And also by leaking favorable info to him. Sometimes even in disguise. John Miller used to call people, and “John Miller” was clearly Trump. He got away with it for so long he can’t operate any other way at this point.

Thank god we have a free press to call him out on this type of thing. I just wish folks would start seeking the truth, instead of automatically parroting whatever right wing media/Trump (largely one and the same now) tell them is reality.

Yes. If I was Harvard I'm sure I would want people knowing that I was duped by someone who played to our favoritism for "oppressed" minority groups.

From what I’ve seen, it isn’t the brown people calling it racist....it’s that little group that supposedly doesn’t exist on the left....

Reactions: Lucy01

BTW, this type of behavior/usage of press is what dictators do in third world countries. They basically create their own reality. Trump did it for years by leaking nasty stuff about others to the press. And also by leaking favorable info to him. Sometimes even in disguise. John Miller used to call people, and “John Miller” was clearly Trump. He got away with it for so long he can’t operate any other way at this point for you, .

Here is a shocker for you, the left was rejected by the voting electorate. They will be in the midterms and in 2020. It isn’t an accepting of Trump as much as it is saying no to the direction Obama and the left wanted to go.

There is where the parroting happens. I hope Obama continues to campaign like no other President has done. You guys still don’t get it.

Here is a shocker for you, the left was rejected by the voting electorate. They will be in the midterms and in 2020. It isn’t an accepting of Trump as much as it is saying no to the direction Obama and the left wanted to go.

There is where the parroting happens. I hope Obama continues to campaign like no other President has done. You guys still don’t get it.

You have a crystal ball now? Like you have a clue what will occur in Nov or in 2020.

The question is why you - or anyone - would GAFF?

They say that it didn't have any impact. And even if it did....so what, exactly? Such a dumb topic and so purely Trumpian.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...complicated/wUZZcrKKEOUv5Spnb7IO0K/story.html

No matter how often one asks if there is any proof she ever benefited from the claim, some just put their hands over their ears and say. "Lalala I can't hear you lalala".

No matter how often one mentions many of us have our family histories wrong (including the current president), some just put their hands over their ears and say. "Lalala I can't hear you lalala".

I have NO idea what her grandmother told her. Neither do the people complaining. I have no idea if she ever gained a competitive advantage, neither do the people complaining. But they sure do complain very loudly about something they know nothing about.

Quite a mandate there:

Candidate Party Popular Votes
Donald J. Trump Republican 62,980,160
Hillary R. Clinton Democratic 65,845,063
Gary Johnson Libertarian 4,488,931
Jill Stein Green 1,457,050

Reactions: MaxCoke

I think you're the ones not getting it.
https://www.businessinsider.com/pol...lic-option-bernie-sanders-plan-support-2018-3

Haha. That’s what you think? See you in November.

No matter how often one asks if there is any proof she ever benefited from the claim, some just put their hands over their ears and say. "Lalala I can't hear you lalala".

No matter how often one mentions many of us have our family histories wrong (including the current president), some just put their hands over their ears and say. "Lalala I can't hear you lalala".

I have NO idea what her grandmother told her. Neither do the people complaining. I have no idea if she ever gained a competitive advantage, neither do the people complaining. But they sure do complain very loudly about something they know nothing about.
Why are Republicans so threatened by powerful women?

Offensive, sure. Racist? I don't get it.

He isn't claiming any aspects or characteristics are superior or inferior. He's using it to criticize Warren, who was exposed as lying about her heritage (even if it didn't get her any advantage).
You open to other views?

President Trump's use of "Pocahontas" as an insult during a ceremony honoring Native Americans on Monday set off a range of reactions about whether the term's racially insensitive.

In this case, Native American leaders said, it was.

John Norwood, general secretary of the Alliance of Colonial Era Tribes, told NBC News Trump's use of the name to mock Sen. Elizabeth Warren "smacks of racism."

“The reference is using a historic American Indian figure as a derogatory insult and that’s insulting to all American Indians,” Norwood told the network, adding that Trump should "stop using our historical people of significance as a racial slur against one of his opponents.”​

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You open to other views?

President Trump's use of "Pocahontas" as an insult during a ceremony honoring Native Americans on Monday set off a range of reactions about whether the term's racially insensitive.

In this case, Native American leaders said, it was.

John Norwood, general secretary of the Alliance of Colonial Era Tribes, told NBC News Trump's use of the name to mock Sen. Elizabeth Warren "smacks of racism."

“The reference is using a historic American Indian figure as a derogatory insult and that’s insulting to all American Indians,” Norwood told the network, adding that Trump should "stop using our historical people of significance as a racial slur against one of his opponents.”​

Sure, but this hasn't changed my stance that it isn't racist.

It's offensive and demeaning to a historical figure that doesn't deserve it. That's the important thing.

It happened already once with the absolute weakest Republican candidate ever..... should have been a cake walk.
If he was the weakest ever, why couldn't any Republicans beat him? Many point out how easy he should have been to win, he not only beat the GOP field on delegates but had the most votes of anyone in the GOP primaries.

If he was the weakest ever, why couldn't any Republicans beat him? Many point out how easy he should have been to win, he not only beat the GOP field on delegates but had the most votes of anyone in the GOP primaries.
You don’t know why Marvin? Have you not been reading the tripe you guys have been posting on this board? He won the GOP vote because we are all racist and want to keep all people of color out. Since the GOP Primary had a fraction of the total electorate voting in it, the racists were able to outnumber them while the others split the vote. I have noticed you tend to have a selective memory when it suits you....

Why are Republicans so threatened by powerful women?

RspJyHy.gif

Last edited:
It was a perfect storm for Trump. One big factor was far too many candidates in for far too long. The others divided up the sane Republican vote.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack

Actually, you're the one that doesn't get it.

The electorate didn't reject "the left," so much as it rejected Hillary Clinton. Bernie Sanders (very far left) still received significant votes, so between Hillary and Bernie "the so-called-'left'-by-Fox-News" received lots of votes.

Trump's personal aggrandizement/bragging is intended only to preserve his "base". The ceiling on Trump's "base" is not high enough to get him reelected if the Democrats get the vote out. The Democrats and Independents are on to him.

Actually, you're the one that doesn't get it.

The electorate didn't reject "the left," so much as it rejected Hillary Clinton. Bernie Sanders (very far left) still received significant votes, so between Hillary and Bernie "the so-called-'left'-by-Fox-News" received lots of votes.

Trump's personal aggrandizement/bragging is intended only to preserve his "base". The ceiling on Trump's "base" is not high enough to get him reelected if the Democrats get the vote out. The Democrats and Independents are on to him.

Let me get this straight..... you think Bernie is a BETTER candidate than Hillarious? It would have been a blow out if Bernie ran

No it isn't. Read the definition of racism. But, who gives a shit? It's offensive. That's the point.
lol. Right. The N-word isn't racist either, right? Just read the definition.

Race Categories
  • American Indian or Alaska Native: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
  • Asian: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
  • Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American".
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
  • White: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

No it isn't. Read the definition of racism. But, who gives a shit? It's offensive. That's the point.

Its using a Caricature of a minority to demean someone. Essentially taking a stereotype, and imposing it on someone else- to make that person look bad.

I’d say that’s the very definition of racist.

I can promise you that most native Americans would find what he’s doing to be not only offensive, but racist as well. In Trump’s eyes, all native Americans might as well be “pocohantas”.

lol. Right. The N-word isn't racist either, right? Just read the definition.

Race Categories
  • American Indian or Alaska Native: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
  • Asian: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
  • Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American".
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
  • White: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

That's an impressive grasp of demography you have there... and it has zero to do with my statement. Move on Jeb.

Its using a Caricature of a minority to demean someone. Essentially taking a stereotype, and imposing it on someone else- to make that person look bad.

I’d say that’s the very definition of racist.

I can promise you that most native Americans would find what he’s doing to be not only offensive, but racist as well. In Trump’s eyes, all native Americans might as well be “pocohantas”.

Why does Pocahontas have a negative connotation? He's certainly slandering and besmirching a historical icon with the context he uses it in. If I was Warren, I'd turn it into a compliment and shut him up by using it to my advantage. My guess is she doesn't want to play that game because of the uncertainty surrounding her historical heritage and her usage of it over time.

Why does Pocahontas have a negative connotation? He's certainly slandering and besmirching a historical icon with the context he uses it in. If I was Warren, I'd turn it into a compliment and shut him up by using it to my advantage. My guess is she doesn't want to play that game because of the uncertainty surrounding her historical heritage and her usage of it over time.

It’s using a stereotype. To demean someone else.

It’s the usage of a stereotype (the term “pocohantas” is unique to native Americans) that is the racist part.

Had Trump simply made the allegation that Warren used being a Native American to further her career/education, that wouldn’t be racist. It may be factually incorrect, but it’s not racist.

Instead, he uses a stereotypical name to make fun of Warren.

It would be like me using the word “shaquanda” or “monifa” to describe a white woman trying to imitate a sister. When you hear those terms, you immediately envision a black woman. Crazy names are a standard stereotype for black women.

The point is, it’s using a stereotype of a race and imposing it on someone else of another race.

Racism isn’t just about demeaning someone- although their are overtones of it when Trump does this. It can also be using stereotypes.

Again, had he simply stated that Warren was trying to pretend to be a Native American, it wouldn’t be racist.

So, in sum...

Pocohantas- racist. It clearly is associated ONLY with native Americans. He uses the descriptor to basically say that all native Americans are similar to pocohantas.

Native American- not racist. Simply a description. Isn’t using a term to describe an entire ethnicity.

Does that make sense?

I can assure you that native Americans would view the usage of the term as very offensive- and racist.

If you were a Native American woman, would you like to be called “pocohantas”? I think not. It reduces you to a single vision of what all Native American woman are.

Reactions: MrBing
It’s using a stereotype. To demean someone else.

It’s the usage of a stereotype (the term “pocohantas” is unique to native Americans) that is the racist part.

Had Trump simply made the allegation that Warren used being a Native American to further her career/education, that wouldn’t be racist. It may be factually incorrect, but it’s not racist.

Instead, he uses a stereotypical name to make fun of Warren.

It would be like me using the word “shaquanda” or “monifa” to describe a white woman trying to imitate a sister. When you hear those terms, you immediately envision a black woman. Crazy names are a standard stereotype for black women.

The point is, it’s using a stereotype of a race and imposing it on someone else of another race.

Racism isn’t just about demeaning someone- although their are overtones of it when Trump does this. It can also be using stereotypes.

Again, had he simply stated that Warren was trying to pretend to be a Native American, it wouldn’t be racist.

So, in sum...

Pocohantas- racist. It clearly is associated ONLY with native Americans. He uses the descriptor to basically say that all native Americans are similar to pocohantas.

Native American- not racist. Simply a description. Isn’t using a term to describe an entire ethnicity.

Does that make sense?

I can assure you that native Americans would view the usage of the term as very offensive- and racist.

If you were a Native American woman, would you like to be called “pocohantas”? I think not. It reduces you to a single vision of what all Native American woman are.

Sidebar: There are a couple of Netflix documentaries on The West -- Ken Burns and Robert Radford's. The Native Americans were lied to and cheated by Grant with agreements were broken. They got majorly screwed.

It would be very Trumpian if we adopt the attitude of 'to the victor, goes the spoils' of an extremely unjust war.

Sidebar: There are a couple of Netflix documentaries on The West -- Ken Burns and Robert Radford's. The Native Americans were lied to and cheated by Grant with agreements were broken. They got majorly screwed.

It would be very Trumpian if we adopt the attitude of 'to the victor, goes the spoils' of an extremely unjust war.

Will try and check them out. Big fan. You can blame Dancing with Wolves.

Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT