ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: For Comcast internet customers.

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
if you have Comcast home internet, i'll assume you are aware that your personal in home Comcast internet equipment, (gateway box, whatever), also serves as a public wifi hotspot, for any and all other Comcast internet subs who pass within reception range of your home. (they can access your equipment in your home, as a wifi hotspot for themselves).

(default mode, is for this function to be enabled).

at least this is how i understand things. (if i'm wrong on this, please inform).

supposedly, you can opt out of this program and have this feature disabled, if you are willing to contact Comcast and jump through enough hoops.

but i've heard this is not so easy to do, and possibly must be redone every time your equipment automatically updates. (updates possibly revert equipment to default mode).

(please inform if i'm wrong on this part also).

an aggressive way to expand wifi access for Comcast internet subs when away from home, but would think this might make many uncomfortable to some degree.

(no doubt Comcast gives assurances regarding security, privacy, and bandwidth issues, and i claim zero knowledge or expertise what so ever on either).

i also have zero knowledge on if there is any way for the sub to actually know if their equipment has been disabled or not, as to this function. (or stayed disabled, if they did have it disabled).

as i've stated above, please inform if i'm incorrect on anything or everything regarding this..

sorry, for some reason, the poll part didn't take. (have had this problem before when trying to do a poll).

This post was edited on 1/5 8:49 PM by i'vegotwinners

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT