ADVERTISEMENT

POLL - Everybody Vote

Should Non-Democrats Be Permitted to Speak In Public?

• Yes - Free Speech For ERR'BODY

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • No - Elections Have Consequences

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Scared To Answer - I See Black Helicopters

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • STFU you raving lunatic

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
Perhaps because I grew up in a family with diverse political views, I’ve never understood the need to cut off those with differing opinions. It does seem to be a growing problem, maybe because so many of us ensconce ourselves in our own partisan echo chambers.

I do think mashnut makes a good point however. Businesses have a right to regulate speech on their platforms and I do think the threats from both Dems and Reps may contribute to more posts being deleted and accounts pulled. I don’t think this is a good thing. I’d prefer Twitter let Trump keep posting and if they feel the need to present a warning about false info, fine.

Republicans are the ones who tried to attach the repeal of section 230 to the stimulus. The goal was to make platforms liable for the content they host. It was clear to everyone paying attention that the outcome of that would be Twitter and the other social media platforms aggressively culling any posts that were anywhere near legal trouble, calling for violence definitely fits that bill. My point is a petty one, the Republicans pushes for something without ever considering it might have consequences for them too, I’m not inclined to feel particularly sorry that Twitter and Facebook listened to them.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Trust me - THAT doesn't matter. I didn't vote for Trump, and I've been cyber-assaulted for 4 years merely for asking questions and pointing out double-standards. ("Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. " Mark Twain.)

Like I told someone here the other day, if you say "Nancy Pelsoi is wrong about X" what they hear is "Trump is right about X." They lack the desire or ability to understand the other options. Black. White. No gray. In fact, no other colors. No other ideas except "thiers" and "wrong enough to be assaulted."

I was personally told by one very woke, very open-minded person that he hoped I died. And he meant it. I disagreed with him about something = I disagreed with him about everything. To him, I'm a Trumper. End of story. I hope you die. Venomous, vicious hatred by people claim a moral high ground. If you agree with such people 99%, you are considered an enemy of the state. All dissent is racist treason. Same people who during the Bush years posted here that all dissent was patriotic. (And people ask why so many stopped posting here!) They cancel their (former) friends. They excommunicate family members. All over Donald Trump alone. You could have donated a kidney to save their child, but if they decide you voted for Donald Trump, they will never speak to you again. Very woke bunch.

Welcome to my on-line world.

Republicans are the ones who tried to attach the repeal of section 230 to the stimulus. The goal was to make platforms liable for the content they host. It was clear to everyone paying attention that the outcome of that would be Twitter and the other social media platforms aggressively culling any posts that were anywhere near legal trouble, calling for violence definitely fits that bill. My point is a petty one, the Republicans pushes for something without ever considering it might have consequences for them too, I’m not inclined to feel particularly sorry that Twitter and Facebook listened to them.
Yes, they are the one who supported that particular legislation, but Democrats have called for more regulation of Twitter in the past:

And more chatter about possible regulations after last week:

You are the one who keeps claiming there was widespread election fraud despite all the evidence to the contrary. If you are worried about bullshit, I’d be careful where you step.

Cancel me. You liberals who control The Cooler should get the owner of this forum to cancel all republicans. It’s the democratic way. Most have quit posting anyway but you might at well purge all of us.

Cancel me. You liberals who control The Cooler should get the owner of this forum to cancel all republicans. It’s the democratic way. Most have quit posting anyway but you might at well purge all of us.

You wrote countless times about the left wanting to destroy this country. And then the real radicals, those on the right, do that very thing and you yell about liberals.

Another things. There are sane people walking this earth who are not Trumpists. That doesn’t mean they are liberals.

As an independent, I'll listen to reasonable Republicans all day long. Hell, I agree with them on many things.

But until some of you cut the cord from Trump, it's hard to take you seriously. Trump and Republican values are not synonymous.

You wrote countless times about the left wanting to destroy this country. And then the real radicals, those on the right, do that very thing and you yell about liberals.

Another things. There are sane people walking this earth who are not Trumpists. That doesn’t mean they are liberals.

The left is destroying the country as we speak.

• Haha
The left is destroying the country as we speak.

You know why that guy on Twitter told you to beat it? Because you are impervious to facts and the truth. You have constructed an alternate reality that, ironically, is exactly the one Trump has constructed. You cannot be reasoned with. So I can’t blame the guy for shunning you. You left him no choice. You are lost.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find your way again.

As an independent, I'll listen to reasonable Republicans all day long. Hell, I agree with them on many things.

But until some of you cut the cord from Trump, it's hard to take you seriously. Trump and Republican values are not synonymous.

To the left destroying the country they don’t care whether it’s Trump or Susan Collins. Agree with them or you aren’t tolerated.

I voted for Kasich in the Republican primary in 2016. I voted for Trump in the last two elections because the democratic alternative in both cases were no choice.

I’ve watched the left be tolerant of burning the flag, spitting on veterans, screaming “god damn America”, burning and looting police stations, burning and looting cities, and countless other things. All we heard is free speech. Now we know what we always knew. That’s only their speech.

You know why that guy on Twitter told you to beat it? Because you are impervious to facts and the truth. You have constructed an alternate reality that, ironically, is exactly the one Trump has constructed. You cannot be reasoned with. So I can’t blame the guy for shunning you. You left him no choice. You are lost.

The only “reason” is your “reason”.

To the left destroying the country they don’t care whether it’s Trump or Susan Collins. Agree with them or you aren’t tolerated.

I voted for Kasich in the Republican primary in 2016. I voted for Trump in the last two elections because the democratic alternative in both cases were no choice.

I’ve watched the left be tolerant of burning the flag, spitting on veterans, screaming “god damn America”, burning and looting police stations, burning and looting cities, and countless other things. All we heard is free speech. Now we know what we always knew. That’s only their speech.
I get not voting for Clinton, plus there was still hope for Trump at that time. But after witnessing 4 years of Trump combined with a moderate candidate in Biden, not sure what your issue was.

I take that to mean there is not a single Democrat you would vote for?

Destroying the country? One side is talking about civil war, supported by Trump.

"Thus, while they want to criminalize even those who protested peacefully on our side, these same leftists deemed criminals of their own ranks to be peaceful protestors - and still do to this day. They have deemed all of our speech as violence and all of their violence as speech." (Italics and bold mine.)

- Daniel Horowitz, this morning's (1/12/21) RealClear Politics

• Haha
Perhaps because I grew up in a family with diverse political views, I’ve never understood the need to cut off those with differing opinions. It does seem to be a growing problem, maybe because so many of us ensconce ourselves in our own partisan echo chambers.

I do think mashnut makes a good point however. Businesses have a right to regulate speech on their platforms and I do think the threats from both Dems and Reps may contribute to more posts being deleted and accounts pulled. I don’t think this is a good thing. I’d prefer Twitter let Trump keep posting and if they feel the need to present a warning about false info, fine.
The problem is that the posts some call mere "opinions" also mix together blatant lies, hate and dogwhistles/calls to action.

Trump mixes together buffoonery, opinion, deception and hate in single or several closely related messages. He does the same thing in his speeches and public statements. Then, when criticized, he points to only the innocent parts of the same message or messages to justify his denial of the criticism.

An example is Trump's post-riot video in which he said both to "go home" and "we love you" to the protestors. One in particular on this board keeps pointing to the "go home" part as proof that Trump has condemned the riots while completely disregarding the fact the Trump told the rioters "we love you. You're very special."

Then, when media suppress content containing hate, Trump and others claim the media are suppressing his mere opinions. As long as opinions are mixed with inappropriate content, I don't see a solution -- there is simply too much content for the social media companies to edit out the bad and leave in the acceptable content.

"Thus, while they want to criminalize even those who protested peacefully on our side, these same leftists deemed criminals of their own ranks to be peaceful protestors - and still do to this day. They have deemed all of our speech as violence and all of their violence as speech." (Italics and bold mine.)

- Daniel Horowitz, this morning's (1/12/21) RealClear Politics
It was hard to sort them out at the Capitol. Flag poles were weapons.

The problem is that the posts some call mere "opinions" also mix together blatant lies, hate and dogwhistles/calls to action.

Trump mixes together buffoonery, opinion, deception and hate in single or several closely related messages. He does the same thing in his speeches and public statements. Then, when criticized, he points to only the innocent parts of the same message or messages to justify his denial of the criticism.

An example is Trump's post-riot video in which he said both to "go home" and "we love you" to the protestors. One in particular on this board keeps pointing to the "go home" part as proof that Trump has condemned the riots while completely disregarding the fact the Trump told the rioters "we love you. You're very special."

Then, when media suppress content containing hate, Trump and others claim the media are suppressing his mere opinions. As long as opinions are mixed with inappropriate content, I don't see a solution -- there is simply too much content for the social media companies to edit out the bad and leave in the acceptable content.
I assume the we love you, go home messages were for the peaceful protesters, and the harsh comments condemning the rioters were aimed at them. You assume otherwise, but obviously lack objectivity. I have consistently been critical of Trump on this board, but some of you see EVERYTHING political through a lens of hatred & vengeance.

Did you have a problem sorting through those burning and looting this summer?
Yes. Not sure of your point.

I'll admit last week was personal. More than once as I sat there watching last week I had to remind myself that it wouldn't help the situation (let alone there's a good chance I wouldn't survive) for me to make the half hour trip to the Capitol and let these people know they're talking about canceling my vote. Still pretty pissed about their complete disregard for that.

The substance is bullshit too.

Please explain why the substance is bullshit, if you so disagree with it.... not just insult people for posting a fairly logical point. I've made this similar point in private discussions with people over the last few days.... because it's inherently logical, not because I read it anywhere else.

Section 230 provided immunity to tech platforms regardless what was posted on their platforms. That is a policy that's under threat of going away. Without that immunity, platforms are going to have to crack down with fairly severe measures on anything even approaching dangerous rhetoric..... for that matter even on a site like this.

I've noticed in the last day or so, even Breitbart is heavily monitoring, restricting and censoring comments on their site (while ironically running articles criticizing big tech censorship).

This is a pretty natural outcome of Jan 6th combined with a push on reworking Sec 230.

Yes. Not sure of your point.

I'll admit last week was personal. More than once as I sat there watching last week I had to remind myself that it wouldn't help the situation (let alone there's a good chance I wouldn't survive) for me to make the half hour trip to the Capitol and let these people know they're talking about canceling my vote. Still pretty pissed about their complete disregard for that.

The violence was wrong and they should be prosecuted. Any new violence should be prosecuted.

Most of the protestors last week didn’t go to commit violence and didn’t participate.

Hopefully Trump campaign workers aren’t bailing the thugs out of jail like Biden’s campaign workers did this summer.

• Haha
The violence was wrong and they should be prosecuted. Any new violence should be prosecuted.

Most of the protestors last week didn’t go to commit violence and didn’t participate.

Hopefully Trump campaign workers aren’t bailing the thugs out of jail like Biden’s campaign workers did this summer.
The biggest problem this summer were the prosecutors who decided not to charge these criminals that were arrested. People here will lose their mind if the prosecutor involved here does the same thing.
These people should be charged to the full extent of the law and the same thing should have happened in 2020.

Reactions: stollcpa
The biggest problem this summer were the prosecutors who decided not to charge these criminals that were arrested. People here will lose their mind if the prosecutor involved here does the same thing.
These people should be charged to the full extent of the law and the same thing should have happened in 2020.

And our fearless new president

Did you have a problem sorting through those burning and looting this summer?
Is it the same equivalence to smash the windows and break into an empty store, with intent to loot, as it is to smash the windows and break into the Capital, while a joint session of Congress is going on, with the intent to stop the count of electoral ballots that are legitimate?

I get it that the looting and burning was bad, but their intent wasn't necessarily to harm or kill people. Their intent was to loot and destroy property. The terrorists intent was to change a legitimate election result and if need be to harm certain members of Congress or anyone else who stood in their way.

You're already canceled Randy. You've done it to yourself.

I agree the violence should be prosecuted. I also think the trespassers should be prosecuted too. You can be a trespasser without trespassing in a violent manner. That's still a crime. Prosecution should not be limited to "violent" acts.

Anyone who stood by and watched other people break windows, tear down doors and barriers and shove police out of the way can't claim to be innocent if they strolled into the building afterward. They would have known they weren't permitted to enter. By entering, they "participated," to use your word.

We saw videos of police in the building surrounded and outnumbered. It may be true that only a few people in front were directly attacking, confronting and yelling at the police, but the presence of dozens of others in the background, dressed in similar political clothing, added to the intimidation caused by the violent ones. Their presence was part of the security breach that interrupted the work of Congress and created work for the security officers. It should be punished, too.

I agree the violence should be prosecuted. I also think the trespassers should be prosecuted too. You can be a trespasser without trespassing in a violent manner. That's still a crime. Prosecution should not be limited to "violent" acts.

Anyone who stood by and watched other people break windows, tear down doors and barriers and shove police out of the way can't claim to be innocent if they strolled into the building afterward. They would have known they weren't permitted to enter. By entering, they "participated," to use your word.

We saw videos of police in the building surrounded and outnumbered. It may be true that only a few people in front were directly attacking, confronting and yelling at the police, but the presence of dozens of others in the background, dressed in similar political clothing, added to the intimidation caused by the violent ones. Their presence was part of the security breach that interrupted the work of Congress and created work for the security officers. It should be punished, too.

So, are you going to call for the arrest of all those peaceful protestors who stood by all summer while burning and looting occurred?

woohoo. cancel the braindead idiots. Sounds awesome.

Biden condemned the violence last summer and the BLM protests were never instigated by democrats. In fact, most of the protests happened in democrat-led cities. Hardly what I would consider a political protest by democrats.

But don't let facts get in the way of your lunacy and apples to oranges comparison. Sometimes it is better to be quiet than speak or post and let everyone know your level of stupidity.

Last edited:
Destroying the country? One side is talking about civil war, supported by Trump.
You have a link to a quote or just anonymous leaks? I've seen Trump quoted today saying he wants no more violence.

So, are you going to call for the arrest of all those peaceful protestors who stood by all summer while burning and looting occurred?

Most liberals have said that the people that committed violence and/or damaged property should be arrested. You just don't pay attention because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Biden condemned the violence last summer and the BLM protests were never instigated by democrats. In fact, most of the protests happened in democrat-led cities. Hardly what I would consider a political protest by democrats.

But don't let facts get in the way of your lunacy and apples to oranges comparison. Sometimes it is better for dumbasses to shut their mouth rather than speak or post and let everyone know their level of stupidity.

irony

Nah, the only double-standard I'll support is that arrestees from the Capitol Riot shouldnt get bailed out by some fund like the Summertime Looters did. Punishing the peaceful participants helps nobody.

Most liberals have said that the people that committed violence and/or damaged property should be arrested. You just don't pay attention because it doesn't fit your narrative.
Many liberals changed their tunes once the incessant violence began to affect Hiden's poll numbers.

What is happening now in congress among the Dems, media, law enforcement etc is an entirely appropriate response to the bullshit that occurred on the sixth.

The point being made that you and others refuse to acknowledge is that it is disgusting that there was not an appropriate response all summer as businesses were burned and innocent people beaten in the streets night after night.

Hypocrisy

No they haven’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT