ADVERTISEMENT

Poll (actually not): Is Jethro Tull's "War Child" the best album ever?

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
Okay, well, probably not, but in support of the notion I advance "Bungle in the Jungle". Supporters of "Aqualung" can KMA, because yes I owned it, but "Locomotive Breath" was never as good as people thought. Also, if you've ever referred to Ian Anderson (or anyone else for that matter) as a "flautist" you're a wanker. Stop that.

I consider Ian Anderson a actor who played the Flute.

Great band, I just have a soft spot for the down trodden.

Well, actually . . .

"Aqualung" rocks, including specifically "Locomotive Breath".

I have always loved the entire album.

Saw the show in Nashville when I was young and in the 101st.

was lucky enough tour see them live years ago

With Emerson Lake and Palmer

I'm sorry, but . . .

I was just fooling around. If you're going to be serious about this I'll skip right past the Stones and Led Zep to Little Feat.

So is bourbon and dumbassery

But I'm entirely persuaded that you'd change the world if you could. Not everyone reacts so well to bourbon.

I have always considered that a myth.

Alcohol is alcohol. It is science. Here is a good tip. Don't spill it on your laptop. It disables the mother board. Did you know the Geek Squad HQ is in Bullitt County Ky.

As usual, you're wrong.......

The Passion Play Tour was the place to be........especially if you were about 18 and under the influence of some high grade pharmaceuticals......

I've seem Tull at least a dozen times and as recently as last fall in Nashville, TN and they have never failed to entertain even at everyone's current advanced ages.....

A Passion Play

That's outstanding

I disagree, but it's splendid to be called out like that.

LOL saw them too

Back when my wife and I were dating she worked for a food company that had 5th row seats at Riverbend (local concert venue). Most everyone she worked with was older, with kids, and none were interested in going to most of the concerts those two summers. So her and I saw a lot of great concerts, from great seats.

King Crimson was, well weird, as one might expect. I'm pretty sure Adrian Belew was with them on that tour, and he's a local guy (Covington, KY). They were part of the H.O.R.D.E. Festival that year (1996), along with Lenny Kravitz (!), Rusted Root (great live band) and Dave Matthews.

Those were some great bands

Tull, Yes, ELP, King Crimson. But I don't know about Bungle in the Jungle. To me, Bungle in the Jungle is to Tull what Roundabout is to Yes: what others know them for, but far from their best. Besides, I've always been a Thick as a Brick person. But back then, how could anybody think anything was more profound than Low Spark of High Heeled Boys?

You rock around the clock

I only participated in air band performances, but on that measure we might as well have been roadies,

Please no

I love the Beatles, we saw Rain just a couple weeks ago. But anything with Revolution #9 on it is automatically discounted from discussion of greatest. I had a roommate that drove me nuts with that song.

Sgt Peppers I can go with.

LOL sad thing is, I have not been to a concert in many, many years

apart from my kids concerts--which, of course, are the best live shows I have ever seen.

If it were best album

Mr Gorbachev, you cannot tear down The Wall.

(of course this is sticking to the more rock theme and ignoring my unnatural affinity for both Gordon Lightfoot and Simon and Garfunkel).

Wow

"The Wall" came upon us like a storm. For weeks we did little else. "Comfortably Numb" is huge.

Jazz and rock . . .

the influence of jazz on rock is probably the most under-told story of the whole rock era, and the shame of what passes for "classic rock" today is that commercial radio stations have pretty much stripped out all of the heavily jazz influenced songs from their play list.

But even in rock's beginnings you have jazz musicians - like Carol Kaye - providing all of the great session work supporting the rock bands who really couldn't play their instruments.

Jazz rules

From my perspective, "jazz" is what was played during the Fifties and Sixties by artists like John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, and Art Blakey. That stuff will live forever.

Now there's some rock & roll

Back in the 70s when I was listening to "cerebral" bands like Yes, Tull, King Crimson, Traffic, Pink Floyd, etc. one of my favorite "pure" rock bands was Mott the Hoople, who were brought back from death by David Bowie and All the Young Dudes. A few years ago I went with my daughter to see Mott front man Ian Hunter -- who is now in his 70s -- at a nightclub in Boston. Man did I ever feel old. They actually put chairs out on the nightclub dance floors for the old farts, the guy in front of me looked exactly like Gandalf, and there were a few mullets being sported.

Listen to Low Spark again . . .

and tell me that it wasn't heavily influenced by Brubeck's Take Five . . . .

This post was edited on 4/3 11:14 AM by Sope Creek

OK are you . . .

an Edmunds Fitzgerald Gordon Lightfoot guy, or are you an Approaching Lavender Gordon Lightfoot guy . . . .

Both, neither?

I like both, neither are my favorite of his. I like performed together.

I really like folk rock, The Shortest Story has to be the saddest song ever and it isn't close.

I'd mention Dylan, but while his songs are great his voice was, well, unique. A local performer wrote a song "Whatever the Hell Dylan Said". It came from really looking forward to a Dylan concert (in Assembly Hall) and then not being able to understand a single lyric the entire night.

Enhh . . .

I quit listening to Chapin many, many years ago . . . too depressing to listen to at all. Dogtown was beyond my limit . . . but I still like Taxi.

Regarding Dylan, I was at that concert! But then so was everyone who ever attended a Dylan concert. That said, Dylan's discography remains among my favorites. I really like a little known, upbeat love song called "If Not For You". The guitar lick is a great hook.

If Not For You

Al Stewart...good music, and you can learn some history too nm

nm

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT