ADVERTISEMENT

Politics at IU

victorbear

All-Big Ten
Sep 28, 2005
People say to keep Politics off this board yet it is politics that has gotten us into the mess we are in!!! Bob Knight being fired, pure politics, the hiring of Kelvin Sampson pure politics and now Fred Glass's stupid policy of kicking kids off the team, pure politics.

People say to keep Politics off this board yet it is politics that has gotten us into the mess we are in!!! Bob Knight being fired, pure politics, the hiring of Kelvin Sampson pure politics and now Fred Glass's stupid policy of kicking kids off the team, pure politics.

Wait. Do you mean “organizational politics,” or “governmental politics?”

I think you’re confusing categories! You’re definitely confused! But you’re also a pillar of this forum! You’re a champion of winning!

Wait. Do you mean “organizational politics,” or “governmental politics?”

I think you’re confusing categories! You’re definitely confused! But you’re also a pillar of this forum! You’re a champion of winning!
Wanting a certain coach cause they are of a minority is politics ok

Reactions: Radio Zero
That Archie is hamstrung in dealing with the kids the "way they need to be dealt with to get their attention" that's almost exactly what he said.
Makes no sense. Why would you spend 3.6 million a year only to put a coach in a situation thats incredibly hard to win. Why not only pay a million instead.

That Archie is hamstrung in dealing with the kids the "way they need to be dealt with to get their attention" that's almost exactly what he said.
Beside archie can tell them to pound sand. So what are they going to fire him and pay him a massive buyout? He can walk away rich and get another job. That excuse to me is just weak.

If you have to continually rip these kids a new one to play hard then you are recruiting the wrong kids.
Come on,they are playing a game they supposedly love and getting a free education while doing so.
Green should not see the floor the rest of the year.
Glass gonna fire Archie for sitting him at the end of the bench?
The biggest motivator is sitting their ass on the bench and not for 10 minutes.

What exactly were the politics in hiring Kelvin Sampson? I hope you aren't suggesting Sampson was only hired because he was a minority? Sampson had more than a qualified record at the time of his hiring. Sampson had previously been a 2x national coach of the year, went to a F4, and was successful at every level before being hired at IU.

Sampson could coach back then, coached well when he was at IU, hell he can even coach now as evident by his Houston teams. There was nothing political about hiring Kelvin Sampson.

What exactly were the politics in hiring Kelvin Sampson? I hope you aren't suggesting Sampson was only hired because he was a minority? Sampson had more than a qualified record at the time of his hiring. Sampson had previously been a 2x national coach of the year, went to a F4, and was successful at every level before being hired at IU.

Sampson could coach back then, coached well when he was at IU, hell he can even coach now as evident by his Houston teams. There was nothing political about hiring Kelvin Sampson.

You're mistaken. Adam Herbert definitely had influence on that decision and it might not have been the only factor but race was a factor.

I think it was political in the sense that they didn't want the optics of firing a minority that, in hindsight, did great in comparison to Crean and Archie early on for a non-minority. We actually had lofty expectations then or MD probably would still be the coach. Sampson was very qualified and did very well here, still a great coach now, but I do think that being a minority is something the administration would have preferred at the time partially because MD wasn't treated very well in his last days here by fans or media. I'd take Sampson back instantly, never thought he should have been fired. People complain about the character of the recruits he got, but I seem to recall far, far more incidents with Crean's recruits than anything during Sampson's tenure

You're mistaken. Adam Herbert definitely had influence on that decision and it might not have been the only factor but race was a factor.

You disagree that Kelvin Sampson didn't have the qualifications to coach at IU? It's not like he didn't win the B12 3 consecutive years and take Oklahoma to the F4. He has IU in the top 10 the year he was fired. He's had Houston in the top 25 consistently the last 2 years.

It was widely publicized that Herbert wanted a minority to be hired.
Greenspan wanted to hire Beilien but was over ruled by Herbert.

I thought it was well known that the AD wanted to hire Beilein, and was told that he had to hire a minority....not necessarily Sampson, but a minority.

You disagree that Kelvin Sampson didn't have the qualifications to coach at IU? It's not like he didn't win the B12 3 consecutive years and take Oklahoma to the F4. He has IU in the top 10 the year he was fired. He's had Houston in the top 25 consistently the last 2 years.

You're forgetting the part where many people suggested it was not wise to hire a known cheater.

I have no idea what poltics played in either the hiring or firing of Sampson. I do know that due diligence was either bypassed or ignored after it was done. The damage that followed Sampson was monumental.

I have no idea what poltics played in either the hiring or firing of Sampson. I do know that due diligence was either bypassed or ignored after it was done. The damage that followed Sampson was monumental.

The real damage was so quickly caving to the NCAA, then letting an interim run off the entire rest of the team only to leave the cupboard completely bare.

I don't disagree with any of that. I liked Sampson as a coach. Very qualified and demonstrated results. But there was politics in his hiring from the President's office.

I think it was political in the sense that they didn't want the optics of firing a minority that, in hindsight, did great in comparison to Crean and Archie early on for a non-minority. We actually had lofty expectations then or MD probably would still be the coach. Sampson was very qualified and did very well here, still a great coach now, but I do think that being a minority is something the administration would have preferred at the time partially because MD wasn't treated very well in his last days here by fans or media. I'd take Sampson back instantly, never thought he should have been fired. People complain about the character of the recruits he got, but I seem to recall far, far more incidents with Crean's recruits than anything during Sampson's tenure
Based on the guys on that second team I shudder to think what Sampson recruits might have done over a nine year tenure that Crean had. There is a big difference between being a dumb ass and a thug.

I don't disagree with any of that. I liked Sampson as a coach. Very qualified and demonstrated results. But there was politics in his hiring from the President's office.
Do any of us really know that? Could have been but a thousand rehashments of someone's conspiracy does not make it fact. I buy it but I venture no one on this board with actual knowledge about it is commenting

He was also on NCAA probation and that followed him to IU.

I don't believe that benching a kid is against any sort of policy.

Knight used to tell kids "you'll never play another minute here"...and followed through on it. Even to our detriment (Winston Morgan)...

Hebert wanted a minority that is a known fact

And that's what Adam Hebert wanted, Greenspan wanted Beilen Herbert wanted the American Native Sampson

Well shoot...this must have been during one of my prolonged Internet breaks...I had no idea that Beilein was an AD recommendation...daggone...we missed something good there...dude can coach.

I was happy with the Sampson hire though...

Well shoot...this must have been during one of my prolonged Internet breaks...I had no idea that Beilein was an AD recommendation...daggone...we missed something good there...dude can coach.

I was happy with the Sampson hire though...
Yes Greenspan Wanted Beilen fool

ADVERTISEMENT