ADVERTISEMENT

Politico: Paul Ryan considering retirement after 2018 elections

Fro

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...-retire-speaker-ready-leave-washington-216103

Doesn't sound like someone who's confident, lol. I know Randy Bryce has a ton of money and will make him work to keep his seat if he doesn't retire.

Politico said:
Despite several landmark legislative wins this year, and a better-than-expected relationship with President Donald Trump, Ryan has made it known to some of his closest confidants that this will be his final term as speaker. He consults a small crew of family, friends and staff for career advice, and is always cautious not to telegraph his political maneuvers. But the expectation of his impending departure has escaped the hushed confines of Ryan’s inner circleand permeated the upper-most echelons of the GOP. In recent interviews with three dozen people who know the speaker—fellow lawmakers, congressional and administration aides, conservative intellectuals and Republican lobbyists—not a single person believed Ryan will stay in Congress past 2018.

POLITICO said:
More recently, over closely held conversations with his kitchen cabinet, Ryan’s preference has become clear: He would like to serve through Election Day 2018 and retire ahead of the next Congress. This would give Ryan a final legislative year to chase his second white whale, entitlement reform, while using his unrivaled fundraising prowess to help protect the House majority—all with the benefit of averting an ugly internecine power struggle during election season.Ryan has never loved the job; he oozes aggravation when discussing intra-party debates over “micro-tactics," and friends say he feels like he’s running a daycare center. On a personal level, going home at the end of next year would allow Ryan, who turns 48 next month, to keep promises to family; his three children are in or entering their teenage years, and Ryan, whose father died at 55, wants desperately to live at home with them full-time before they begin flying the nest. The best part of this scenario, people close to the speaker emphasize: He wouldn’t have to share the ballot with Trump again in 2020.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...-retire-speaker-ready-leave-washington-216103

Doesn't sound like someone who's confident, lol. I know Randy Bryce has a ton of money and will make him work to keep his seat if he doesn't retire.
Why not free bennies forever, working on a big tax break for himself, & he can jump right back in making more money as a lobbyist. Amazing how many folks go into congress as fairly regular joe's and come out millionaires? hmm, I wonder how that is on their salaries...screw health care, I have mine for life for free says good ole Paul

Reactions: Bill4411
He'll leave with essentially no legacy except further bankrupting America. His tax deform will be changed back to something sane when saner minds prevail. He wants to get in on the money while he can do it at a tax advantage. Entitlement reform is a wet pipe dream.

Saw one headline that said “Ryan Soul Searching”. My first thought was how misguided. Everyone knows Paul Ryan has no soul.

What a complete tool! :rolleyes:

DTnE2QrVwAABa76

If it was a Dem that posted a similar tweet the comments would be "what a great moral contrast to Trump".

I can understand disagreeing with political positions....but this kind of stuff is petty and doesn't help.

Its not petty when political leaders present a faked empathy and their actions show otherwise.

If it was a Dem that posted a similar tweet the comments would be "what a great moral contrast to Trump".

I can understand disagreeing with political positions....but this kind of stuff is petty and doesn't help.

He's paying "lip service" to MLK's ideals.But you'd be hard pressed to come up with any concrete examples of him putting any of them into practice.

Meanwhile,Ryan is likely a realist,and capable of reading the tea leaves.The Dems are still capable of blowing the House in '18,but it would take a perfect storm of Dem ineptitude to fritter away the coming "blue surge".More evidence from just last night,nearly a double-digit (9%) win for the Dems in a (red) Wisconsin district Trump carried by 17%...

Republican Sheila Harsdorf had held the seat since 2001, but she left in November to become Republican Gov. Scott Walker’s agriculture secretary. In 2016, Harsdorf won re-election by 26 percentage points, and Trump beat Democratic rival Hillary Clinton by 17 points. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney won the district in 2012.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-score-special-election-upset-035616074.html

He's paying "lip service" to MLK's ideals.But you'd be hard pressed to come up with any concrete examples of him putting any of them into practice.

Meanwhile,Ryan is likely a realist,and capable of reading the tea leaves.The Dems are still capable of blowing the House in '18,but it would take a perfect storm of Dem ineptitude to fritter away the coming "blue surge".More evidence from just last night,nearly a double-digit (9%) win for the Dems in a (red) Wisconsin district Trump carried by 17%...

Republican Sheila Harsdorf had held the seat since 2001, but she left in November to become Republican Gov. Scott Walker’s agriculture secretary. In 2016, Harsdorf won re-election by 26 percentage points, and Trump beat Democratic rival Hillary Clinton by 17 points. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney won the district in 2012.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-score-special-election-upset-035616074.html

Yes, I'd be surprised if Dems don't win the House. And I expect Ryan to retire at that point.

I've always thought entitlement reform was Ryan's pet project. Maybe his retiring means entitlement reform just seems impossible to him. I watched Ryan at a hometown rally and some of his constituents didn't buy into some of Ryan's comments concerning entitlements. One of the objectors was a fellow Catholic whom Ryan obviously knew and respected.

Then again, the report may be wrong and/or he will change his mind.about leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT