ADVERTISEMENT

Political Capital - And How To Spend or Waste It

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Truth is that only one or two "issues" drive elections over the the slow course of time.

Late 50's into the 60's it was civil rights and the Cold War. Everything else was gum-flapping.

After the Republicans got the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965 past the racist Democratic filibisters, Viet Nam drove the vote into the 70's.

After Nixon ended the war, Watergate gave the economic radicals a crack in the door and the "safety net" versus "Nanny State" debate re-took a short stage, with Nixon being willing to pass environmental legislation and even use wage/price controls. "Corporate greed" replaced "government corruption" as the Bad Guy, with Jimmy Carter trying to take it global with a "human rights" focus. He got derailed by the global Islamic terror launch and inflation. Reagan took it back to economics - with "small government" as the meme. Bush 1 got derailed by radicalmideastcrap.V2. Clinton got a little of it all - government corruption, Middle East Crap and economics. W wanted to be the Education President who reached across the ailse. He got RadicalMiddleEast.V3.

Lurking in the background of all of that progression - just offstage - was the cost of health care/health care insurance. When Obama came in, despite the desire/demand to fix all tghinsg for all time, he spent his political capital on Obama Care.

Point being - a party platform is mostly gum-flap. A President - even a 2 termer - gets 1 or 2 issues on which to try and make an impact, and often gets derailed onto an issue NOT of their own choosing.

History also teaches that early days are where the efforts and success most likely occur. "Don't dawdle or you miss it."

Soooo, what will Biden's first 100 days be about?

Reactions: 76-1
It should be all about an infrastructure bill to repair/update our crumbling airports, bridges, cyber security, etc., to get the economy moving again, restoring America’s reputation in the world-especially with our allies, and of course fighting the virus battle.

Answering Seriously (I never know when your actually being serious anymore) it will be all about vaccination distribution and in turn trying to get the economy moving/reopening.

I'm guessing his administration will put out an action plan day one.

Down the road will be infrastructure and will try to get health care reform talks going but the biggies right off the bat are vaccine distribution and a stimulus plan.

Truth is that only one or two "issues" drive elections over the the slow course of time.

Late 50's into the 60's it was civil rights and the Cold War. Everything else was gum-flapping.

After the Republicans got the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965 past the racist Democratic filibisters, Viet Nam drove the vote into the 70's.

After Nixon ended the war, Watergate gave the economic radicals a crack in the door and the "safety net" versus "Nanny State" debate re-took a short stage, with Nixon being willing to pass environmental legislation and even use wage/price controls. "Corporate greed" replaced "government corruption" as the Bad Guy, with Jimmy Carter trying to take it global with a "human rights" focus. He got derailed by the global Islamic terror launch and inflation. Reagan took it back to economics - with "small government" as the meme. Bush 1 got derailed by radicalmideastcrap.V2. Clinton got a little of it all - government corruption, Middle East Crap and economics. W wanted to be the Education President who reached across the ailse. He got RadicalMiddleEast.V3.

Lurking in the background of all of that progression - just offstage - was the cost of health care/health care insurance. When Obama came in, despite the desire/demand to fix all tghinsg for all time, he spent his political capital on Obama Care.

Point being - a party platform is mostly gum-flap. A President - even a 2 termer - gets 1 or 2 issues on which to try and make an impact, and often gets derailed onto an issue NOT of their own choosing.

History also teaches that early days are where the efforts and success most likely occur. "Don't dawdle or you miss it."

Outsourcing DHS to Dominion and Alibaba. Nancy already has everything written up.

Are you going to start a thread worth reading or are you just going to stand there and bleed?

I personally see Joe riding Mr. Trump's coattails for the first 12 months. It's so predictable; the vaccine that Trump pushed for rolls out in full force, the population gets vaccinated, restaurants, shops, schools, the economy, etc., gradually open back up and people are happy/making a living again/living life again.

The left will tell us how rotten of a president Trump was while Joe fraudulently rides Don's coattails. A newborn could predict this and they'd probably be right.

Yawn....

So the $15 minimum wage is a negotiation tactic right? Ask for $15 to get $10 or some such?

Or is the administration really that economically illiterate?

So the $15 minimum wage is a negotiation tactic right? Ask for $15 to get $10 or some such?

Or is the administration really that economically illiterate?
I know the Democrats are theoretically going to be in charge of both Congress and the White House, but in real life, the President is always going to propose about 300% of what he actually expects to get. Especially now, when he can't afford a single defection in the Senate.

Edit: I suspect the minimum wage will be one of the first to get hacked. $10 might happen, though. Just to give the issue some lip service.

gioconda_mona-lisa-677x1024.jpg

I personally see Joe riding Mr. Trump's coattails for the first 12 months. It's so predictable; the vaccine that Trump pushed for rolls out in full force, the population gets vaccinated, restaurants, shops, schools, the economy, etc., gradually open back up and people are happy/making a living again/living life again.

The left will tell us how rotten of a president Trump was while Joe fraudulently rides Don's coattails. A newborn could predict this and they'd probably be right.
The search for vaccines began over a year ago. Globally. But you go on believing what you're being told.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Managing elements of his own party.

Vaccines would have been developed on the same timeline regardless who was President.

Vaccines would have been developed on the same timeline regardless who was President.
No time to search for it again, but I've previously posted a chart showing there were over 70 vaccines in development when Warp Speed was initiated, including the ones currently and soon on the market. More lies from Trumpists about him being responsible for that.

No time to search for it again, but I've previously posted a chart showing there were over 70 vaccines in development when Warp Speed was initiated, including the ones currently and soon on the market. More lies from Trumpists about him being responsible for that.

When I posted here about vaccines, I was told that vaccines take 3-4 years and that I was just a Covid and mask denier helping Trump kill 2,000,000 US citizens. The FACTS didn't matter. Only the messenger.

When I posted the website showing the vaccinations in progress, (probably the same info posted by Bawlmer) the response was "that website is sponsored by Michael Milken you Trump-supporting Covid denier - vaccines take 3-4 years - stop helping kill people you mask-hater."

Thus, vaccine info is another perfect example of how EVERYTHING here is filtered first and foremost by The Trump Filter.

The FACT doesn't matter. It's more important WHO is stating the fact, and whether it is/can/should be used for/against Trump.

Sigh.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
research would have gone at the same pace.

The main contribution of OWS was establishing contracts to de-risk large scale manufacturing in advance of approval. if the vaccine failed, costs of manufacturing the non-product ready to go on the shelves would have been covered. That was quite an insurance policy. But you're right in that it didn't speed research, clinical trials (other than moving to the front of the line for review) or evaluation.

When I posted here about vaccines, I was told that vaccines take 3-4 years and that I was just a Covid and mask denier helping Trump kill 2,000,000 US citizens. The FACTS didn't matter. Only the messenger.

When I posted the website showing the vaccinations in progress, (probably the same info posted by Bawlmer) the response was "that website is sponsored by Michael Milken you Trump-supporting Covid denier - vaccines take 3-4 years - stop helping kill people you mask-hater."

Thus, vaccine info is another perfect example of how EVERYTHING here is filtered first and foremost by The Trump Filter.

The FACT doesn't matter. It's more important WHO is stating the fact, and whether it is/can/should be used for/against Trump.

Sigh.

Who's going to release the other guy's throat first? Some never will. But hopefully friends and neighbors will be able to relax a bit after next week.

Sigh.
This entire post is a lie.

Sigh.

I made no claims about Trump and vaccine development. Nor am I defending anyone that politicized vaccine development.

BioNTech (Germany) and Moderna (US) are mostly to thank for having the technical expertise to create the easily produced mRNA vaccines. They both started working on it in January of last year. BioN partnered with Pfizer for size/ infrastructure reasons, but these are the people that deserve most all of the credit. Obviously govt funding backstops were quite helpful (though Pfizer/BioN didn't have one, other than a govt purchase order if they achieved success) but that's basically an uncontested layup decision that anyone would have made.

You are the one bringing Trump into this. I was responding to a nonsensical political blame/ credit post. You just added more nonsense.

3qu9gy.jpg

Sure. How'd that rollout of the Obama Care website go?
Gee. That sounds so-o-o persuasive. If only we had elected a President who specifically ran for office by promising to improve the American healthcare/health insurance system.

rCiFgbI7UinJRofyu1HRnTZcSbf2hqRun6VSQI2zwrE.jpg

3qu9gy.jpg

Gee. That sounds so-o-o persuasive. If only we had elected a President who specifically ran for office by promising to improve the American healthcare/health insurance system.

rCiFgbI7UinJRofyu1HRnTZcSbf2hqRun6VSQI2zwrE.jpg
He was a very good president...probably right behind Ronald Reagan when grading presidents of the last 50 years.

You mean like how Trump road Obama's coattails and took credit for it?

Obama seemed like a lazy president...Trump had twice the successes in one term than Barry did in two terms!! Barry did kill Osama, I'll reluctantly give hime credit for that.

All trump did was try to undo anything Obama did. Of course, he also made fun of disabled people, attacked people on twitter back before he was banned, and called vets suckers and losers.

Best guy ever, am i right? lmao

He will go down in history as a wannabe dictator that almost toppled our democracy.

All trump did was try to undo anything Obama did. Of course, he also made fun of disabled people, attacked people on twitter back before he was banned, and called vets suckers and losers.

Best guy ever, am i right? lmao

He will go down in history as a wannabe dictator that almost toppled our democracy.
W-R-O-N-G

I made no claims about Trump and vaccine development. Nor am I defending anyone that politicized vaccine development.

BioNTech (Germany) and Moderna (US) are mostly to thank for having the technical expertise to create the easily produced mRNA vaccines. They both started working on it in January of last year. BioN partnered with Pfizer for size/ infrastructure reasons, but these are the people that deserve most all of the credit. Obviously govt funding backstops were quite helpful (though Pfizer/BioN didn't have one, other than a govt purchase order if they achieved success) but that's basically an uncontested layup decision that anyone would have made.

You are the one bringing Trump into this. I was responding to a nonsensical political blame/ credit post. You just added more nonsense.

I'M the one that brought Trump into THIS conversation, yes, but I'm NOT the one who put the Trump filter on everything Coronavirus.

It's also clear to thinking people that state and local government, and local health care, are far more responsible for the speed of any rollout - fast or slow. Once the feds bought the stuff and got it to the initial warehousing, its the states, local and transportation folks who get it the RN's and LPN's sticking needles into arms.

Obama seemed like a lazy president...Trump had twice the successes in one term than Barry did in two terms!! Barry did kill Osama, I'll reluctantly give hime credit for that.

Some days, Executive Time totally predominates. For instance, he had 1 hour of scheduled meetings on Jan. 18 (with acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin) and 7 hours of Executive Time .

Take these random examples from this week's real schedule:

• On Tuesday, Trump has his first meeting of the day with Chief of Staff John Kelly at 11am. He then has "Executive Time" for an hour followed by an hour lunch in the private dining room. Then it's another 1 hour 15 minutes of "Executive Time" followed by a 45 minute meeting with National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster. Then another 15 minutes of "Executive Time" before Trump takes his last meeting of the day — a 3:45pm meeting with the head of Presidential Personnel Johnny DeStefano — before ending his official day at 4:15pm.
  • Other days are fairly similar, unless the president is traveling, in which case the days run longer. On Wednesday this week, for example, the president meets at 11am for his intelligence briefing, then has "Executive Time" until a 2pm meeting with the Norwegian Prime Minister. His last official duty: a video recording with Hope Hicks at 4pm.
  • On Thursday, the president has an especially light schedule: "Policy Time" at 11am, then "Executive Time" at 12pm, then lunch for an hour, then more "Executive Time" from 1:30pm.

ADVERTISEMENT