ADVERTISEMENT

Police your side of the street

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
A friend posted this on Facebook, and in theory, it is a good idea. Liberals should police liberals, conservatives should police conservatives. But in practice, it is useless. If I were to take issue with someone more progressive, their response is that I'm just not sufficiently progressive. When conservatives here took issue with Trump, they were just dismissed as not really conservative. I don't see a good solution to fruitful discussion, in theory, this is it, but for the reason I listed I don't think it would work.

Yea, I don't see it working, especially since many people find the ends justify the means when it comes to beating the other side.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
If I were to take issue with someone more progressive, their response is that I'm just not sufficiently progressive. When conservatives here took issue with Trump, they were just dismissed as not really conservative. I don't see a good solution to fruitful discussion, in theory, this is it, but for the reason I listed I don't think it would work.

In a sense it does work, only it's slow and happens quietly.

At least on the Dem/Progressive side, we have Biden over Bernie, and most recently Shontel Brown over Nina Turner.

It would be interesting how much

At least on the Dem/Progressive side, we have Biden over Bernie, and most recently Shontel Brown over Nina Turner.

The needing to govern based on making sure you get re-elected is unfortunately good and bad. The good is obviously people can hold their representative accountable. The bad is the representative is likely doing things he knows is wrong but thinks it will help get re-elected.

Marv you only need to look through the Maher thread to understand how pie in the sky your suggestion is.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Marv you only need to look through the Maher thread to understand how pie in the sky your suggestion is.

the cuomo thread would work too to show people that only want to hold the other side accountable.

At least on the Dem/Progressive side, we have Biden over Bernie,

that was the far right, Wall St, policing the progressive side, so a poor analogy.

but then you already knew that.

A friend posted this on Facebook, and in theory, it is a good idea. Liberals should police liberals, conservatives should police conservatives. But in practice, it is useless. If I were to take issue with someone more progressive, their response is that I'm just not sufficiently progressive. When conservatives here took issue with Trump, they were just dismissed as not really conservative. I don't see a good solution to fruitful discussion, in theory, this is it, but for the reason I listed I don't think it would work.

so is someone saying Pubs should hold Pubs accountable, and Dems should hold Dems accountable???

sure wish i'd of thought of that, and posted it here 100 plus times already.

no doubt you'd have had my back every time Marv.

or not.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

But it doesn't work in our discourse. Our resident Bernie backer sees no difference between you and me vs Mas.

When it comes to Democratic primaries, my rule is pretty simple.

Root for the most unelectable raving lunatic Dem in competitive seats (so Fetty over Conor Lamb for PA Sen).

Root for the relatively more moderate Dem in safe blue seats (so Shontel Brown over Nina Turner in OH).

I’ve never bashed conservatives like Aloha and NPT who didn’t vote for or support Trump. I think their vote turned out bad for this country but I don’t question their belief in how they voted.

Trump caused many of his own problems that resulted in some republicans and independents moving away from him.

What we need to do is quit getting so offended at the petty actions and words of the other side. This where we need to police each other.

Biden had ice cream. Pelosi had ice cream in her freezer. (what's the fascination with ice cream, weird) Trump said something stupid. Marjorie Trailer-trash Greene believes in Jewish space lasers. Neil Young removed his music from Spotify. Kyrie is unvaccinated.

WGAFF

These things are not important, it's gossip and nothing else. All it does offend those who wish to be offended, and starts arguments about stupid shit that separates us further.

Limp Wristed Liberals vs Slack Jawed Nazis is a stupid game.

Also, there are some issues where discussion is not warranted. Fascism, racism, and obvious lies and propaganda do not have a middle ground. Those ideals and beliefs should only be met with contempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT