ADVERTISEMENT

Police have to be better

it is sad. particularly when a 13 year old really isn't old enough to know much. the solution isn't a mystery - and it's not with cops
Here’s the problem with this shooting. The cop likely isn’t responsible for this child’s death. The child cannot be responsible for his death. He’s 13. The solution is better parenting or the resources to not let this child down. I have no idea how to make that happen. But it’s worth a hell of a lot more debate than it currently gets.
I doubt the solution is as simple as you two seem to think. Obviously parenting is going to be part of the solution, but it's going to be more complex than that.

I doubt the solution is as simple as you two seem to think. Obviously parenting is going to be part of the solution, but it's going to be more complex than that.
I don't think there is a solution to any of the problems that face us as long as we are divided in groups. Race , religion , political parties we are a divided nation and everyone is a victim. The gun issue is so f-ing simple to fix yet there is not a chance in hell it ever will be because the NRA gets meatheads to believe bullshit about liberty freedom and all kinds of nonsense, Blacks fearing the cops is about as meaningless of a issue to the real upward mobility of blacks in this country as the price of peanuts. yet we burn down cities every time there is a incident, but no one does shit when daily blacks are killing blacks at a alarming rate. We glorify thug culture, only thing lower than a cop in the black community is snitch. Sadly I don't see a lot of solutions in todays environment

I don't think there is a solution to any of the problems that face us as long as we are divided in groups. Race , religion , political parties we are a divided nation and everyone is a victim. The gun issue is so f-ing simple to fix yet there is not a chance in hell it ever will be because the NRA gets meatheads to believe bullshit about liberty freedom and all kinds of nonsense, Blacks fearing the cops is about as meaningless of a issue to the real upward mobility of blacks in this country as the price of peanuts. yet we burn down cities every time there is a incident, but no one does shit when daily blacks are killing blacks at a alarming rate. We glorify thug culture, only thing lower than a cop in the black community is snitch. Sadly I don't see a lot of solutions in todays environment
For the last 4 decades or so of the 20th century we were well on our way to building the the most successful multiracial, multiethnic, and multicultural democracy the world has ever seen. Then our political leaders learned that turning us against each other was good politics and government and politics has gone down hill. Now it’s in the shitter. The 1619 project and critical race theory seems like we’ve reached the bottom, but I won’t underestimate the ability of our policy makers to make things worse.

Oh no doubt. In fact I’d bet there have been cops killing kids in tragic ways for 100 years or more. Saying better parenting is really just frustration on my part. A desperate attempt by my lizard brain to make sense of a senseless situation. The real answer is probably closer to there not being a solution. Or at least no solution created by some kind of policy change or reform.

Sorry, but I'm not comfortable responding to an issue that is contributing to the growing tears in the fabric of our society with "it's too bad." We have a problem, we need to find a solution.

But what exactly IS the problem, goat? I don’t think these situations are increasing in frequency, I just think we hear about them more because the media has made it their mission to blast these stories from the rooftops. As far as I know, crime of all kind has been dropping for decades.

Black people feel like the police unfairly focus on their community, but the black community commits far more crime as a group than any other community. That’s just the truth. That’s not me being racist, that’s just the cold hard truth.

So if the cops do focus more on their community but they have a valid reason for doing so, is that racism? If it is, is it even something that SHOULD be addressed?

I’ve ALWAYS said that the police should ALWAYS strive to be better. But it’s going to take more than that.

Exactly what “more” entails, I have no idea.

But what exactly IS the problem, goat? I don’t think these situations are increasing in frequency, I just think we hear about them more because the media has made it their mission to blast these stories from the rooftops. As far as I know, crime of all kind has been dropping for decades.

Black people feel like the police unfairly focus on their community, but the black community commits far more crime as a group than any other community. That’s just the truth. That’s not me being racist, that’s just the cold hard truth.

So if the cops do focus more on their community but they have a valid reason for doing so, is that racism? If it is, is it even something that SHOULD be addressed?

I’ve ALWAYS said that the police should ALWAYS strive to be better. But it’s going to take more than that.

Exactly what “more” entails, I have no idea.
The problem I am talking about is the perception among many, particularly the black community, that complying with law enforcement doesn't increase life expectancy. I've stated this clearly several times.

The problem I am talking about is the perception among many, particularly the black community, that complying with law enforcement doesn't increase life expectancy. I've stated this clearly several times.
Well, that perception is wrong. Complying with law enforcement, from the beginning, will dramatically increase one's "life expectancy". Any thought that compliance results in an increased likelihood of death is moronic.

Elsewhere I posted this article, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lington-nc-traffic-stops-policing/7225318002/, and it generated no response. So let me try it again.

If you read the article, a community has stopped administrative pullovers. They have increased speeding stops. Use of force has gone down. Citizen complaints have gone down.

Think of some of our conservative friends who are angered by the idea of being forced to get a vaccine. If they were routinely pulled over for license plate lights, we do not think they wouldn't be angry? We can test it, instead of a passport let us give everyone vaccinated a sticker and instruct police to pull over non-stickered cars as often as possible.

By making driving while Black a reason to be pulled over we have created animosity.

I know the last thing anyone wants to look at is a study, but here we go https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna980556

Reactions: larsIU
Elsewhere I posted this article, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lington-nc-traffic-stops-policing/7225318002/, and it generated no response. So let me try it again.

If you read the article, a community has stopped administrative pullovers. They have increased speeding stops. Use of force has gone down. Citizen complaints have gone down.

Think of some of our conservative friends who are angered by the idea of being forced to get a vaccine. If they were routinely pulled over for license plate lights, we do not think they wouldn't be angry? We can test it, instead of a passport let us give everyone vaccinated a sticker and instruct police to pull over non-stickered cars as often as possible.

By making driving while Black a reason to be pulled over we have created animosity.

I know the last thing anyone wants to look at is a study, but here we go https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna980556
okay there's a lot here marv. "if they were routinely pulled over for license plate/lights" etc. then how do you enforce this stuff? we as a society have deemed functioning equipment on cars impt - so now one segment of society doesn't have to abide? blacks in big urban areas have less money, have shittier cars, defective taillights, and expired tags, so they get pulled over. the stl municipal court monday morning will be 99 percent black and most of the people were pulled over by black cops. profiling exists but it needs to be addressed outside of actual violations

the other issue which is unfortunate is that these tickets constitute a large revenue stream, for some little munis it's most of their budget. that's not going away anytime soon.

i've written about this before, but imo the most prevalent systemic racism exists at this level within the courts (municipal). joe black guy gets pulled over for expired tags. gets a ticket for same. court mails him a ticket two months later to a house where he no longer stays. a year later he's pulled over again for those same tags because he didn't have the dough to get them renewed or the car won't pass inspection. he since missed court 11 times because he didn't get notice. a new warrant is issued AND he has eleven FTAs and fines for that. cop hauls him in on the warrant. can't get out of jail without posting bond, $500, and now that one ticket went from $250 to $1,400. plus his car still won't pass inspection. so he has the same problem now magnified. black people know all this. they know this like the back of their hands. it's another reason they avoid police like the plague. tons of them have warrants for silly shit. twice a year we have amnesty day here to forgive all old non felony warrants. it makes the line for cabbage patch dolls in the 80s look like a joke. it's four times longer than for world series tickets.

being poor makes life hard. being poor and black even harder. doesn't absolve black people from their own stuff, but it's certainly a thing

Reactions: larsIU
Yep I get it, A 13 year old out at 2:30 with a 21 year old shooting at someone , also the 13 year old has gunpowder residue on his cold dead hands. The police have to make split second decisions of life and death. Its illegal for the 13-year-old to have a gun, Where was his parents? I don’t feel sorry for these thugs! The posters on this thread live in A civilized society, these criminals don’t.

Reactions: sluggo69
For the last 4 decades or so of the 20th century we were well on our way to building the the most successful multiracial, multiethnic, and multicultural democracy the world has ever seen. Then our political leaders learned that turning us against each other was good politics and government and politics has gone down hill. Now it’s in the shitter. The 1619 project and critical race theory seems like we’ve reached the bottom, but I won’t underestimate the ability of our policy makers to make things worse.
which party do you think invented that strategy? which party lifted a racist psychopath to the highest office in the land? do Dems pander to minorities hell yes, but I honestly believe its done with good intentions

For the last 4 decades or so of the 20th century we were well on our way to building the the most successful multiracial, multiethnic, and multicultural democracy the world has ever seen. Then our political leaders learned that turning us against each other was good politics and government and politics has gone down hill.
Thanks Newt!

Lol. Imagine being a self confident and self made successful person of color and having woke Democrats telling you how oppressed you are.
see that's the type of bullshit that is just stupid, what woke democrats are telling successful blacks they are oppressed?

Lol. Imagine being a self confident and self made successful person of color and having woke Democrats telling you how oppressed you are.
yep. second wealthiest black man in america is just that here in saint louis. a republican.

But, put him in an older car, turn up the bass on the stereo, let him drive through Chesterfield, and see how long it takes him to get pulled over.
Amirite?
And that’s the crux of it all really. Chesterfield is probably 3 percent black. If a black guy is driving in a shitty car through neighborhoods most will profile. Why? Bc that’s who is currently doing all of the car breakins. So it’s blurred. And why is it all white. They fled blacks and crime. Racism and reality.

Last edited:
And that’s the crux of it all really. Chesterfield is probably 3 percent black. If a black guy is driving in a shitty car through neighborhoods most will profile. Why? Bc that’s who is currently doing all of the car breakins. So it’s blurred. And why is it all white. The fled blacks and crime. Racism and reality.
I would like to see some of these liberal posters and you know who they are, Drive through Gary, Indiana at night and post about their experience!

Think of some of our conservative friends who are angered by the idea of being forced to get a vaccine. If they were routinely pulled over for license plate lights, we do not think they wouldn't be angry?
I would appreciate an officer letting me know the light was out as long as they were polite and gave me a chance to get it fixed.

do Dems pander to minorities hell yes, but I honestly believe its done with good intentions
:) :) Have to chuckle at that.... both parties do what they think is good for them to get votes. The Democrats want to let the people in this country illegally to become citizens because they see votes for their party so the Republicans fight it BUT if most of the illegals voted Republican both parties would have the opposite stance they have now.

:) :) Have to chuckle at that.... both parties do what they think is good for them to get votes. The Democrats want to let the people in this country illegally to become citizens because they see votes for their party so the Republicans fight it BUT if most of the illegals voted Republican both parties would have the opposite stance they have now.
I don't believe that, have you seen any movement by dems to deport Cubans or target them from immigrating? they are basically turning Florida into a red state

I have known at least one successful black businessman (Charles) whose life's story proved to me that blacks, just like whites, have a variety of experiences as they go through life.

Charles was raised in a middle class black area on the South Side of Chicago during the 1940's and 50's. The merchants and professionals in his area were all black. He grew up expecting to be a successful business person in a field of his choosing.

After graduating from college he took a job with the Sears department store chain.

Fairly soon he became a department store manager and was assigned to a town of 20,000 in an all white Indiana community. Anxious to join with other community leaders, Charles became a member of a service club. It was here, and for the first time in his life, he felt discrimination.

In telling me this story, Charles laughed at himself for not knowing discrimination existed. He didn't chalk up this experience as one of being oppressed. Instead he considered this as learning how a town who hadn't known people of color could be so ignorant. He also wondered about the Sears business acumen for sending him there in the first place.

What kind of a parent lets her 13-year-old out at 2:30 in the morning?
Who said he had parents? At least parents who were there for him.
For the last 4 decades or so of the 20th century we were well on our way to building the the most successful multiracial, multiethnic, and multicultural democracy the world has ever seen.
Really? And what happened in 1991 when a black man in LA was caught on camera being beaten by multiple police officers? And what happened a year later when those cops were acquitted of all charges? Did we really have a successful multiracial, multicultural society or were we just not seeing the reality?

Oh, and what happened in the 21st century is we all now carry a camera and we no longer need to get our footage to a TV station to air. It can be uploaded or streamed to YouTube in seconds and the world can instantly see a slice of reality.

Why do we need politicians telling us about perceived injustices, that divide us, when we can see it for ourselves?

Why do we need politicians telling us about perceived injustices, that divide us, when we can see it for ourselves?
Because you can’t do math apparently and realize that these events are:
  • Very anomalous based on the overall number of police interactions
  • Diminishing into even more anomalous figures
  • Completely one sided and not showing when bad policing affects other races

"Black people feel like the police unfairly focus on their community, but the black community commits far more crime as a group than any other community. That’s just the truth. That’s not me being racist, that’s just the cold hard truth."

I'm sure you BELIEVE that, but can you provide your sources for making such a claim? I'm not exactly sure how you quantify the claim of "Committing" more crime, although I have no problem conceding that Black people are likely CHARGED/ARRESTED for far more crimes. Not sure at all THOSE are the SAME thing...

Now I realize personal anecdotes don't tell the entire story, but I still think it might be instructive to contrast what happened with LT Nazario. Now let's watch bodycam footage of the Nazario traffic stop, which I guess presumably happened because he had temporary tags and tinted windows. Notice how even the General refers to it as troubling and alludes to "The talk". More on that later...

Now my experience in a similar circumstance, with a single, calm Indiana State Trooper when I was actually GUILTY...

About 6 yrs ago, I had purchased a new (used) car in Indy. Rather than "dealer plates" I went ahead and put my old car plates on my new car, switched the insurance and drove back to Bloomington. I didn't have the new registration, but planned on going to the DMV the next day to make things legal.

Later that day I decided to drive from the Tapp Rd area where I live to W 3rd to get something to eat. It was drizzling,I was hungry and I wasn't really paying attention.Next thing I knew,I spotted a State Trooper's vehicle hidden under the overpass, and about the time I started to slow down (because I was speeding),I noticed the trooper was standing by the road and waving me over...

He had me dead to rights. He walked up to my window, explained that he had me on radar and asked for my license/registration. He was very cordial, which eased my nervousness, and he headed back to his vehicle without me even remembering to tell him about the paperwork not matching.

Now obviously as soon as he started to investigate he knew the car wasn't properly registered. But instead of ASSUMING I had STOLEN the vehicle, and ordering me out of the vehicle with my hands up,he calmly informed me that there was a problem and asked me to explain. I told him what had happened, he asked me what kind of vehicle the plate was previously registered to, went back to his car, and checked out the info I had provided when asked CALMLY...

He walked back and returned my documents. He reminded me to go and get things legally transferred the next day, apologized for the inconvenience, gave me a warning ticket, and reminded me to watch my speed. No threats, no ordering me out of the car or threatening to tase me or pepper spray me-no treating me like a criminal. And again this was a single officer, not two officers with guns drawn yelling and making confusing threats regarding the possibility of being tased or shot.

I feel like some people here are not empathetic to the very real fear that a lot of people of color experience with even minor interactions with police. That goes back to "the talk", which this video deals with. And remember in the CNN video even a US Army General discusses having the talk with his own sons. It's just something that a lot of white people are (apparently) completely oblivious to...

Reactions: UncleMark
"Black people feel like the police unfairly focus on their community, but the black community commits far more crime as a group than any other community. That’s just the truth. That’s not me being racist, that’s just the cold hard truth."

I'm sure you BELIEVE that, but can you provide your sources for making such a claim? I'm not exactly sure how you quantify the claim of "Committing" more crime, although I have no problem conceding that Black people are likely CHARGED/ARRESTED for far more crimes. Not sure at all THOSE are the SAME thing...

Now I realize personal anecdotes don't tell the entire story, but I still think it might be instructive to contrast what happened with LT Nazario. Now let's watch bodycam footage of the Nazario traffic stop, which I guess presumably happened because he had temporary tags and tinted windows. Notice how even the General refers to it as troubling and alludes to "The talk". More on that later...

Now my experience in a similar circumstance, with a single, calm Indiana State Trooper when I was actually GUILTY...

About 6 yrs ago, I had purchased a new (used) car in Indy. Rather than "dealer plates" I went ahead and put my old car plates on my new car, switched the insurance and drove back to Bloomington. I didn't have the new registration, but planned on going to the DMV the next day to make things legal.

Later that day I decided to drive from the Tapp Rd area where I live to W 3rd to get something to eat. It was drizzling,I was hungry and I wasn't really paying attention.Next thing I knew,I spotted a State Trooper's vehicle hidden under the overpass, and about the time I started to slow down (because I was speeding),I noticed the trooper was standing by the road and waving me over...

He had me dead to rights. He walked up to my window, explained that he had me on radar and asked for my license/registration. He was very cordial, which eased my nervousness, and he headed back to his vehicle without me even remembering to tell him about the paperwork not matching.

Now obviously as soon as he started to investigate he knew the car wasn't properly registered. But instead of ASSUMING I had STOLEN the vehicle, and ordering me out of the vehicle with my hands up,he calmly informed me that there was a problem and asked me to explain. I told him what had happened, he asked me what kind of vehicle the plate was previously registered to, went back to his car, and checked out the info I had provided when asked CALMLY...

He walked back and returned my documents. He reminded me to go and get things legally transferred the next day, apologized for the inconvenience, gave me a warning ticket, and reminded me to watch my speed. No threats, no ordering me out of the car or threatening to tase me or pepper spray me-no treating me like a criminal. And again this was a single officer, not two officers with guns drawn yelling and making confusing threats regarding the possibility of being tased or shot.

I feel like some people here are not empathetic to the very real fear that a lot of people of color experience with even minor interactions with police. That goes back to "the talk", which this video deals with. And remember in the CNN video even a US Army General discusses having the talk with his own sons. It's just something that a lot of white people are (apparently) completely oblivious to...
You live in your own world of make-believe in fantasy!

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Because you can’t do math apparently and realize that these events are:
  • Very anomalous based on the overall number of police interactions
  • Diminishing into even more anomalous figures
  • Completely one sided and not showing when bad policing affects other races
It’s not just about the interaction between cops and blacks. It’s a whole cultural difference that many white people just can’t understand. I was responding to COH’s assertion that in the last 4 decades of the 20th century we were well on our way to becoming a multicultural and multiracial success story. And to that I call bullshit.

Another powerful example from the 90’s, that we weren’t a multiracial success, was the OJ Simpson trial. An event that had all of America glued to their TV sets, with viewing parties, and when the verdict came in groups of white people expressed anger and disbelief, while groups of black people erupted with cheers. The division was huge then, and it still is, but not because the politicians are at fault.

Reactions: UncleMark

Here’s an idea get off cnn. It’s nothing but propaganda. You’re being brainwashed. You are brainwashed. learn how to do research and think for yourself. All the data you need to think on your own is readily available. Blacks are 13 percent of pop and commit 50 percent of violent crime. Go to doj website. FBI website. Go to any major city pd website. Stats are there for ya. No filter.

Last edited:
Here’s an idea get off cnn. It’s nothing but propaganda. You’re being brainwashed. You are brainwashed. learn how to do research and think for yourself. All the data you need to think on your own is readily available. Blacks are 13 percent of pop and commit 50 percent of violent crime. Go to doj website. FBI website. Go to any major city pd website. Stats are there for ya. No filter.
I will agree and the actual number is 52%, but that makes it seem as if blacks are more of a danger to all of us, when in fact the good majority of that number is gang related black on black crime, due to socioeconomic factors that still exist.

Btw, I watch CNN occasionally and I’ve never heard them try to make it seem that this isn’t true. They aren’t Fox and they don’t have commentators akin to Hannity, Ingraham, or Carlson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT