ADVERTISEMENT

Police have to be better

A

anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

This is just heartbreaking. Police have to, on aggregate, get better. The video shows the kid keeping his hands up and the freaked out cop just blasted him center mass. Don’t watch it.

We have a right to liberty. Cops do not have a right to deny it he right.

This is just heartbreaking. Police have to, on aggregate, get better. The video shows the kid keeping his hands up and the freaked out cop just blasted him center mass. Don’t watch it.

tragedy. so this is going to sound really stupid but you're a weapons guy. with the number of contacts, composition of police forces, and tension of the job i really don't believe there's a solution. so for the stupid part - is there not a weapon out there between a taser and a gun? nothing the military uses etc?

It starts with cutting funding so they can hire worse and train less.

Then increase unemployment of poor young males in poverty-stricken areas.

tragedy. so this is going to sound really stupid but you're a weapons guy. with the number of contacts, composition of police forces, and tension of the job i really don't believe there's a solution. so for the stupid part - is there not a weapon out there between a taser and a gun? nothing the military uses etc?
With the proliferation of guns in our society the cops would be sitting ducks with less than lethal weaponry as their primary weapons.

It has to be improved training and more accountability.

It starts with cutting funding so they can hire worse and train less.

Then increase unemployment of poor young males in poverty-stricken areas.
Do you think cutting funding will result in less practice at the shooting range?

Seems like there should be a way to see how a person is gonna react in a real life situation. A person can do good in practice situations and then fall apart in real situations because they let fear rule them. You would know more about that stuff than I would.

The police do need to be better. They should always be striving to improve.

But the Monday morning quarterbacking that goes on in these cases is beyond ridiculous.

If, as it appears, the police were responding to a report of shots fired and if they knew the kid was armed when he was running, then this was, IN MY OPINION, not a negligent shooting. Notice that I didn’t say it was JUSTIFIED. I just don’t think it was NEGLIGENT.

I think some perspective would go a long way in these situations.

It’s a gun problem. Every cop has to assume every single person they pull over or interact with is packing. These are high stress interactions. These are generally low paid, low skilled, poorly trained workers. It’s just a recipe for disaster.

But the Monday morning quarterbacking that goes on in these cases is beyond ridiculous.

If, as it appears, the police were responding to a report of shots fired and if they knew the kid was armed when he was running, then this was, IN MY OPINION, not a negligent shooting. Notice that I didn’t say it was JUSTIFIED. I just don’t think it was NEGLIGENT.

bingo!^^

It’s a gun problem. Every cop has to assume every single person they pull over or interact with is packing. These are high stress interactions. These are generally low paid, low skilled, poorly trained workers. It’s just a recipe for disaster.
Agreed and many gang members are that young. Sad stuff

There is more to this story, the kid had a gun and gunpowder residue on his hands!

This has nothing to do with your suggestion of a weapon "Between" a taser and a gun.And sadly enough it reflects on an additional reprehensible "accidental shooting" in the news in the same sad week...

But how in the Hell does a 26 yr veteran find him/herself firing/discharging the wrong weapon? How do you participate in a multi-officer arrest,aim and fire your weapon mistaking it for your taser while training another officer during a traffic stop? The other officers clearly have their weapons drawn and don't fire, but the one officer who is supposed to fire a taser cant distinguish the feel/color of a handgun vs a Taser? With at least 3 sets of eyes on the vicious suspect, you can't do some kind of visual on your pointed weapon to INSURE it's the Taser that you INTEND to discharge?

I can comprehend the failure of other officers (who I don't think even fired) to realize that she was aiming her weapon more than I can Officer Potter herself. This was broad daylight and she wasn't alone, and she is too stupid to know the difference between the two? It just makes no sense,that someone that stupid is able to be an LEO for 26 yrs...

In these discussions of police shootings, I keep reading that police are low paid. I’m aware I live in a bubble in the Bay Area, which makes me somewhat uninformed, but cops in my area start with a base pay of $98k right out of the academy. That doesn’t include shift differential pay, overtime, etc. The pay scale increases rapidly with years of service too. It’s not uncommon for a cop to make close to $200k per year.

I know the cost of living dictates higher pay, but I assume the pay for cops is comparable to the cost of living elsewhere?

This has nothing to do with your suggestion of a weapon "Between" a taser and a gun.And sadly enough it reflects on an additional reprehensible "accidental shooting" in the news in the same sad week...

But how in the Hell does a 26 yr veteran find him/herself firing/discharging the wrong weapon? How do you participate in a multi-officer arrest,aim and fire your weapon mistaking it for your taser while training another officer during a traffic stop? The other officers clearly have their weapons drawn and don't fire, but the one officer who is supposed to fire a taser cant distinguish the feel/color of a handgun vs a Taser? With at least 3 sets of eyes on the vicious suspect, you can't do some kind of visual on your pointed weapon to INSURE it's the Taser that you INTEND to discharge?

I can comprehend the failure of other officers (who I don't think even fired) to realize that she was aiming her weapon more than I can Officer Potter herself. This was broad daylight and she wasn't alone, and she is too stupid to know the difference between the two? It just makes no sense,that someone that stupid is able to be an LEO for 26 yrs...
While rare it does happen. A quick google search says at least 15 times

The side view video from the school appears to show him throw the gun and then wheel all in the same motion. Just sad. I wish the cop could have had the benefit of momentary discretion that he was chasing a 13 year old and also realize he tossed the gun.

Seems really clear to me that he had a gun in his right hand before he turned, and the police arguement is the officer had .8 of a second to react. Also, evidence points to them firing 8 rounds at a passing vehicle just prior to the cops showing up.

Hard to wrap my head around this one.

Just f’ed either way. Really sad

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

In addition to the taser looking and feeling different, that police department trains their officers to always carry the taser on their “weak side”, and carry their fire arm on their dominant side. If your right handed, your gun is carried on your right hip, taser on your left.

In these discussions of police shootings, I keep reading that police are low paid. I’m aware I live in a bubble in the Bay Area, which makes me somewhat uninformed, but cops in my area start with a base pay of $98k right out of the academy. That doesn’t include shift differential pay, overtime, etc. The pay scale increases rapidly with years of service too. It’s not uncommon for a cop to make close to $200k per year.

I know the cost of living dictates higher pay, but I assume the pay for cops is comparable to the cost of living elsewhere?
Start at $48k here - the most dangerous city in America. About $24 an hour. The employees of the grass company that cut our grass make $22 an hour

Reactions: TominDallas
Start at $48k here - the most dangerous city in America. About $24 an hour. The employees of the grass company that cut our grass make $22 an hour
Just wow. In a dangerous job in a dangerous city like St. Louis, the pay needs to make it worth risking your life and incentivize you to do your job well. I’m sure most do take pride in their work, but they may not get the best and brightest.

With the proliferation of guns in our society the cops would be sitting ducks with less than lethal weaponry as their primary weapons.

It has to be improved training and more accountability.

We HAVE to get our guns under control.

There was another school shooting in Tenn this past week that barely made the news because of the cop stuff.

All us libtards like myself point to Australia. They stopped effing around and did basically three things if I read it right.

They banned semi automatics.

They made it really hard to get a gun legally by having strict licensing and registering all legal, active guns.

They confiscated multi hundred thousand illegal guns.

Since they did that their murder rate and suicide rate plummeted.

For me it's always been treat guns like we treat cars. You gotta get a license. You have to register. If you do something stupid like beat your wife you can get your gun license suspended.

Lastly you give severe penalties for having a non registered gun.

That's not taking away anyone's gun if you really want one.

It's time to shift from the war on drugs to the war on guns.

Especially if police are freaked out and trigger happy if they assume that everyone has a gun against them.

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9212725/australia-buyback

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

People have to get better. Heard lightfoot’s presser. She couldn’t resist talking about police misconduct even though this wasn’t that. Her message to her voters was that the cops are a huge part of the problem, illegal guns are another part and racism is the big part. The subtext was that the cops and white people are dirt bags. So okay to resist. This was a 13 year old out at 2:30 am with a gun randomly shooting at cars. This has gang initiation written all over it. Cops are risking their lives for these kids and their community. Time for the community to stand up to this shit from their youth.

The city and county police where I live only make in the 30’s until they get promoted to non patrolling positions.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

What kind of a parent lets her 13-year-old out at 2:30 in the morning?

Yeah, but do the lawn guys get to carry guns and boss people around?

Just wow. In a dangerous job in a dangerous city like St. Louis, the pay needs to make it worth risking your life and incentivize you to do your job well. I’m sure most do take pride in their work, but they may not get the best and brightest.
Yup and most work secondary at the bars. Miserable gig

The side view video from the school appears to show him throw the gun and then wheel all in the same motion. Just sad. I wish the cop could have had the benefit of momentary discretion that he was chasing a 13 year old and also realize he tossed the gun.
Seems really clear to me that he had a gun in his right hand before he turned, and the police arguement is the officer had .8 of a second to react. Also, evidence points to them firing 8 rounds at a passing vehicle just prior to the cops showing up.

Hard to wrap my head around this one.

Just f’ed either way. Really sad
Just tragic all the way around.

We HAVE to get our guns under control.

There was another school shooting in Tenn this past week that barely made the news because of the cop stuff.

All us libtards like myself point to Australia. They stopped effing around and did basically three things if I read it right.

They banned semi automatics.

They made it really hard to get a gun legally by having strict licensing and registering all legal, active guns.

They confiscated multi hundred thousand illegal guns.

Since they did that their murder rate and suicide rate plummeted.

For me it's always been treat guns like we treat cars. You gotta get a license. You have to register. If you do something stupid like beat your wife you can get your gun license suspended.

Lastly you give severe penalties for having a non registered gun.

That's not taking away anyone's gun if you really want one.

It's time to shift from the war on drugs to the war on guns.

Especially if police are freaked out and trigger happy if they assume that everyone has a gun against them.

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9212725/australia-buyback
Australia’s rates didn’t “plummet”. There is considerable debate on whether they changed at all.

You should stop reading Vox. It’s OANN level, if not worse.

there have been instances of horrible behavior by cops.

that said, i don't think the recent riot igniters have fallen into that category.

no one really knows exactly what killed George Floyd, no matter how emphatically they claim they do.

another was a tragic battlefield mistake due to a thug who decide to make a run for it, which will ruin the lives of his family, and that of the lady cop who's life is also now ruined.

as for the recent soldier in the SUV, did anyone ever search that vehicle?

there are hi speed chases in Indy and everywhere else now on a regular basis.

this idea that no one needs to do what the cops direct them to if they don't want to, never ends well for anyone.

all that said, again, i think almost all of this is a result of the beyond disasterous war on drugs.

perps fear possible beyond ridiculous prison terms for lifestyle choices, rather than for harming others.

that real fear can absolutely affect how someone stopped will behave, when they see their free life flash before their eyes.

and it's made cops often turn a traffic stop into a very very high stakes fishing expedition..

in a war against people, those warred on eventually revolt.

when someone holding is stopped, the risk can become life changing for both the cop and the guy stopped.

and over what??

and another horrible collateral side effect of all this, is that the real bad guys doing bad things to others, may get let off in the wash, along with those only guilty of political/drug crimes..

that has already happened.

the beyond disastrous war on drugs, (actually people), needs to stop.

Maybe outfit police with drones and stop foot chases. It seems chases are risky, police get separated from their partners. Their heart rates go up from the exertion. At night, it is probably impossible to see a gun or no gun.

Can drones with tasers take over some of this?

Australia’s rates didn’t “plummet”. There is considerable debate on whether they changed at all.

How about Oxford Academic Review or is that also libtard propaganda?

Suicide by firearm went down around 80%.

Homicide by firearm is down similar.

I'd say an 80% drop is plummeting.

Whatcha got that's telling you differently?

https://academic.oup.com/aler/article-abstract/12/2/509/99272

Both crime and homicide in Australia have gone down noticeably in the past two decades. Whether or not to attribute that to the change in gun laws is a worthy point of argument, but it's just dishonest to deny that it's happened.

Explore here: https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/AUS/australia/crime-rate-statistics

Last edited:
How about Oxford Academic Review or is that also libtard propaganda?

Suicide by firearm went down around 80%.

Homicide by firearm is down similar.

I'd say an 80% drop is plummeting.

Whatcha got that's telling you differently?

https://academic.oup.com/aler/article-abstract/12/2/509/99272

People have to get better. Heard lightfoot’s presser. She couldn’t resist talking about police misconduct even though this wasn’t that. Her message to her voters was that the cops are a huge part of the problem, illegal guns are another part and racism is the big part. The subtext was that the cops and white people are dirt bags. So okay to resist. This was a 13 year old out at 2:30 am with a gun randomly shooting at cars. This has gang initiation written all over it. Cops are risking their lives for these kids and their community. Time for the community to stand up to this shit from their youth.
I agree with all of that but the kid was unarmed and clearly unarmed with the real time video showing such for at least a couple of seconds.

Yeah, but do the lawn guys get to carry guns and boss people around?
Sadly I think that is the reason a lot of people become police officers. They like the power they have. Having said that there are a lot of good ones out there so the question is how to separate the power hungry from those that really want to serve the community.

Reactions: UncleMark
this idea that no one needs to do what the cops direct them to if they don't want to, never ends well for anyone.
That's true but on the other side cops need to be trained to not demand stuff that they have no right to demand.

Sadly I think that is the reason a lot of people become police officers. They like the power they have. Having said that there are a lot of good ones out there so the question is how to separate the power hungry from those that really want to serve the community.
It’s a big ask. There are about 800,000 last I looked

Would have thought this narrative would have been corrected by now.

The kid tossed the gun, turned put up his hands and was shot within less than one second. This was a reasonable use of force with a tragic outcome for a young man that badly needed a good parent or guardian to guide him.

many will use the still photo of his hands up to further their anti police narrative.

Reactions: F.Fletch
Would have thought this narrative would have been corrected by now.

The kid tossed the gun, turned put up his hands and was shot within less than one second. This was a reasonable use of force with a tragic outcome for a young man that badly needed a good parent or guardian to guide him.

many will use the still photo of his hands up to further their anti police narrative.
So I tend to agree. The video I watched made it seem like he had no gun for a longer period of time.

I retract my criticism of this one.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
ADVERTISEMENT