ADVERTISEMENT

Plus we hired Matta, apparently

My guess he’s there to deal with the administrative duties that a HC would normally do. Rules compliance being the main one. Woodson wouldn’t have that knowledge.
The compliance people within the AD worry about compliance. Matta is likely there to serve like analysts do in football, breaking down tape, preparing scouting reports, etc. He's not there to be the crossing guard.

Reactions: BayernFan
My guess he’s there to deal with the administrative duties that a HC would normally do. Rules compliance being the main one. Woodson wouldn’t have that knowledge.
I'd be floored it this is the case...you can hire a wonk to do "administrative duties" and "compliance" for much less...Matta is likely here to ... at the very least ... mitigate any pro-to-college learning curve.

This looks a little odd because Matta seems to have HC aspirations because he interviewed for the Georgia job 4 years ago and was allegedly the guy IU wanted this time. Unless Matta really did fail a physical exam and has given up on ever being a HC again. Or, well, never mind...I won’t speculate on that scenario.

IU is doing exactly what UM did with Howard/Martelli, only the ages are swapped.
I’ll support Woodson and I truly hope he succeeds in helping to bring IU back to what we all know IU bball can be. I’m admittedly a little skeptical about how much he’ll get done. He’s already 63 and he’s never coached a second of college bball. I hope my skepticism proves unwarranted and Woodson tears shit up and coaches into his 70s like Boeheim and K. Woodson looks like he’s taken pretty good care of himself.

One of the worst things we did to Mike Davis was throw him in the deep end of the pool and expect him to figure it out on his own. He had absolutely no guidance from anyone in our athletic administration. This time, we have brought in someone administratively who can guide the new Coach in organizing his recruiting process and learning the ropes of managing a P5 BB program. At least Dolson is willing to think outside the box.

One of the worst things we did to Mike Davis was throw him in the deep end of the pool and expect him to figure it out on his own. He had absolutely no guidance from anyone in our athletic administration. This time, we have brought in someone administratively who can guide the new Coach in organizing his recruiting process and learning the ropes of managing a P5 BB program. At least Dolson is willing to think outside the box.
He had Treloar

• Haha
Reactions: Tru2Irish
He had Treloar
Treloar had head coaching experience but not at that level. Davis actually got more support from CM Newton, UK’s AD and his college coach, than anybody in our athletic department. Everyone there was too busy looking out for themselves.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Except the fact that Martelli is an actual assistant coach whereas TM is not
That's not going to preclude him from contributing in any facet, he just won't have to travel or sit on the sidelines, I think it's a brilliant move and I'm actually surprised he took it on, but maybe that's more his speed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT