ADVERTISEMENT

Please tell me why I should be optimistic?

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
I love the Hoosiers. Will cheer for them like crazy in the fall and always. But, at this point, I'm hoping some of you guys can tell me why I should be optimistic:

Coming off an historically bad season, we:

1) Appear to have become an "island of misfit toys" for players at critical positions...especially on offense
2) Have had a coaching carousel the likes of which I can't remember, but have retained the coach of the single worst unit on the team
3) Will have our head coach, who, frankly, has not proven he's the best game manager to begin with, doing our defensive play-calling. Our defensive coordinator, who won't be calling plays, has never been a defensive coordinator before and will be doing God-only-knows-what.

To me, if I take my personal love of the Hoosiers out of the equation, it sounds like we're headed for continued ineptitude on offense and chaos on defense.

Really, truly, please give me something to be optimistic about because last season "left a mark" to say the least. I WANT to be excited, but just can't figure out HOW to be.

I love the Hoosiers. Will cheer for them like crazy in the fall and always. But, at this point, I'm hoping some of you guys can tell me why I should be optimistic:

1) Appear to have become an "island of misfit toys" for players at critical positions...especially on offense
2) Have had a coaching carousel the likes of which I can't remember, but have retained the coach of the single worst unit on the team
3) Will have our head coach, who, frankly, has not proven he's the best game manager to begin with, doing our defensive play-calling. Our defensive coordinator, who won't be calling plays, has never been a defensive coordinator before and will be doing God-only-knows-what.

To me, if I take my personal love of the Hoosiers out of the equation, it sounds like we're headed for continued ineptitude on offense and chaos on defense.

Really, truly, please give me something to be optimistic about because last season "left a mark" to say the least. I WANT to be excited, but just can't figure out HOW to be.
You shouldn't, 2-10 next year followed by 4-8 and a new coach the year after that. Woodie will be gone about the same time. IU needs to hire a professional that will require accountability from coaches.

I am optimistic about the coming season with this season with the players from the transfers and players IU has on the team before transfers. Coach Allen has very good new coaches with very good experience so be optimistic. I would also point out the players some of them anyway have outstanding speed. Plus, the players are hungry this season instead of taking it easy thinking they were already at the level they wanted to be.

Last edited:
Another point of view, hopefully realistic, is that 6-2 was a little over what we should have been and 2-10 below.
The roster seems better, CTA likely has grown as a head coach, help has come for our OL coach, so maybe a .500 club with a break or two being bowl elligible.

1. Being an attractive transfer portal destination is a good thing, look at MSU. And the portal itself makes turnover a regular thing for basically every team in the country.

2. Major coaching changes are expected in college football, especially after 2-10. And all the replacements bring at least some reason for optimism about their performance with them to B-Town.

3. Tom Allen is a defensive maestro. Don't forget when he did for us in one year as DC, or what he did for USF. He might not have been ready to have control over both the full team and the defense early on (understandable in his first D1 HC gig), but he says he is now. And if he is, his being back in direct control of the defense is a great thing.

IU is bringing in the no. 13 recruiting class in the nation. Never has IU been there. Two of CTA’s hires this year were very successful NFL coaches. They should be able to contribute quite a bit. CTA got rid of an inept OC and replaced him with a guy that was a rising star in that role but made a big mistake in taking the next level step as HC at UMASS. He now has something to prove. CTA also got rid of a DC that didn’t really buy in to the IU culture and insisted on running a defense that was not really what CTA wanted. Now he has a guy that buys the culture and is primed to learn to do things CTA’s way which was proven good over the last six years. CTA also just hired Rod Carey who has lots of HC experience to help him with his issues such as game and clock management, etc. we have a good transfer class including a QB that two years ago was the SEC freshman of the year, was injured last year and is ready to step it up this year. Should I go on?

IU is bringing in the no. 13 recruiting class in the nation. Never has IU been there. Two of CTA’s hires this year were very successful NFL coaches. They should be able to contribute quite a bit. CTA got rid of an inept OC and replaced him with a guy that was a rising star in that role but made a big mistake in taking the next level step as HC at UMASS. He now has something to prove. CTA also got rid of a DC that didn’t really buy in to the IU culture and insisted on running a defense that was not really what CTA wanted. Now he has a guy that buys the culture and is primed to learn to do things CTA’s way which was proven good over the last six years. CTA also just hired Rod Carey who has lots of HC experience to help him with his issues such as game and clock management, etc. we have a good transfer class including a QB that two years ago was the SEC freshman of the year, was injured last year and is ready to step it up this year. Should I go on?
Plus I would go on to add that for us this is just a game kids are playing that we watch for entertainment. What does it cost you to be positive and get a little excited? Not much and the benefit is that for at least the next 5 or 6 months you can be happy about it! Come on man!

Keep dreaming...

Take that s--t back to GBI and keep it there...

We'll see You in November...
Where we are is 2-10 last year along with NMSU, Akron, Kansas, Tulane, S Florida, UNLV, Arkansas State and Vanderbilt. Teams that were 1-11 were FIU, Arizona, UMass and UConn. Yes there is a good recruiting class coming in, the problem is offensive and defensive lines and depth. Not even mentioning getting out coached as CTA is still the prime decision maker. If we don't win more than 2 this year you will see coaches and players bail for the following year.

Where we are is 2-10 last year along with NMSU, Akron, Kansas, Tulane, S Florida, UNLV, Arkansas State and Vanderbilt. Teams that were 1-11 were FIU, Arizona, UMass and UConn. Yes there is a good recruiting class coming in, the problem is offensive and defensive lines and depth. Not even mentioning getting out coached as CTA is still the prime decision maker. If we don't win more than 2 this year you will see coaches and players bail for the following year.
You keep ignoring what was happening last year that has been corrected this off-season. This isn't the same team we saw last year - coaches nor players. Our players have a different attitude this season, according to the leaders, and we added quality players from the transfer portal. If you still think IU is a 2 win team heading into this season just look at MSU and the improvement they made in one off-season. Please stay away if you think so little of this team and find a team you can support with enthusiasm.

Last edited:
You keep ignoring what was happening last year that has been corrected this off-season. This isn't the same team we saw last year - coaches nor players. Our players have a different attitude this season, according to the leaders, and we added quality players from the transfer portal. If you still think IU is a 2 win team heading into this season just look at MSU and the improvement they made in one off-season. Please stay away if you think so little of this team and find a team you can support with enthusiasm.
I guess you have to ignore last season to put a positive spin for the upcoming season. I just think our fans are better being realistic instead of having unrealistic expectations like last year. A great year next year is 4 wins.

I can’t tell you to be excited, but I will say that if we didn’t have a bunch of changes, people would be over here screaming “WE WENT 2-10 WHY AREN’T WE MAKING ANY CHANGES???”

Also, no one thought we would go 8-5 and 6-2 coming off of 2018. Just because we had a bad season doesn’t mean we are stuck on that same path for all eternity. That’s just lazy.

I'm also not at all impressed with the past production of the incoming transfers. I think Tuttle could put up similar numbers if he had any semblance of an offensive line. The others have been, at best, rotation players elsewhere. The offensive line has been embarrassing for four seasons with exception of a few game spell during CKDB. I think we were probably spoiled by the CKW/Houston/Coleman/Redding years, but RB has been a related problem.
We have zero outside receivers returning of significance. Two awesome slot receivers. I hope the staff watched how the 49ers utilized Samuel and can create a similar role for David Ellis.
The defensive line regressed tremendously and lost their best player in Ryder Anderson. We lost the best linebacker we've had in 30 years.
We lost our number two corner, a three year starter, to Purdue.
With all that being said, we've got a bunch of incoming high school kids that don't care anything about that. Kids are forgetful/resilient/optimistic as hell. They'll be jacked up. If Camper can play, the RBs are at least as good as Carr was, the QB can move the chains and extend plays with his feet a little bit, and we get back to exotic blitzs that can paper over our weaknesses, we could hopefully get back to 5-6 wins.

And on Ignore you go..., to join a looonnnnngggg list of other p u fans...

Careful not to get the live end of your Choker Chain (The Official Neckware of All purdu fans) caught on anything on your way out....
Did you reply to the wrong person?

Reactions: 76-1
I like the MSU analogy- we did get some good transfers who I do think will contribute. There are a lot of players coming back and I think the coaching changes are positive.

believe the defense can be very strong via great returning players, new recruits & transfers, and Allen/Wilt combo coaching. I think new DC will get the reigns solo in a year or two, as I think he’s more in tune with Allen than last year’s DC.

I also believe Bell will improve upon Sheridan’s debacle last year, and I want to believe our two new NFL coaches may elevate play as well. As for Hiller, hopefully new scheme and “coaching for your life” will help address th poor OL play (or lead to the hook.)

Think the over hyped confidence will be gone and back to a hungrier version of Hoosiers back next season.

Last edited:
Last year was a cluster f@&$ because the assistant staff was terrible. Sheridan was so far in over his head and Allen knows he cannot continue to rely on inside promotions of guys that are not ready at all.
I think IU has a better shot at being more consistent going forward due to emphasis on defense. You build programs around defense, and get some offensive guys on your staff that know what the hell they are doing. I think it’s a better staff on the O-side at least on paper. Sheridan? A backup QB at Michigan that had no prior OC experience working under two former OCs (one an outstanding HC in Div 2) and then didn’t appear to learn a thing.
Have watched decades of IU football with good-to-dynamic offenses that had no defense whatsoever and the results were like a broken record every time. You cannot win games out scoring teams. Didn’t like the offensive staff at all last year. I thought DMC was a disruption and the guy isn’t that bright. Glad his kids are here but he had his agenda coming in and created turmoil in the RB room from the start.
it’s always an uphill battle with IU football. About like the basketball program. Just clinging to a hope to be bowl eligible or get on the bubble for a tournament.
This isn’t on Allen entirely. Overcoming 3 decades of athletic department incompetence with an insulated, status quo mindset doesn’t magically disappear overnight.

I give Allen credit for not standing still and maybe the portal will help us. Would rather stick with the guy who mandates strong defense than take a chance on some other option that is a gamble. Who the hell would want to come here?
I mean, he’ll, we are still battling a fan base that thinks we are a basketball school, usually being a “basketball school” implies you have some type of success within recent history.

And on Ignore you go..., to join a looonnnnngggg list of other p u fans...

Careful not to get the live end of your Choker Chain (The Official Neckware of All purdu fans) caught on anything on your way.

i'm right there with you. i was super excited going into last season, now i'm back to my usual hope for the best expect the worse feeling.

Reactions: UncleMark
For me personally, I'll have to witness the first game performance versus Illinois to have any idea of how this season will shape up. With the turnover the program has had, it's simply too difficult to have any accurate information on the upcoming season.

If Indiana gets a win in the opener, it's fair to say optimism will be pretty darn high. Oline play will be critical as will QB play.

Rod Carey being associated with the program is a reason to be optimistic.

Effusive Apologies Vesuvius13..., that was meant to be aimed at our interloper...

I was attempting to multi task and did so rather spectacularly unsuccessfully...😖
I know how goofed up I can get things so no problem.

I am in the same boat TD75 is with this team, I can find things to be excited about but until we play Illinois I really have no idea what this team will be like.

Why can I be optimistic?

1. Allen is back to DC. He BELIEVES in the 4-2-5. Wommack BELIEVES in the 4-2-5. Warren did not. Allen and Wommack called effective defenses. Warren did not. The back 4 have the speed AND experience/savvy in the 4-2-5 to make it dangerous again, even if the LB’s and DL need some seasoning.

2. We have a more experienced OC, who has been in the AAC, Big 12, Sun Belt, ACC, and Big Ten, and 10 bowls. He knows success AND failure. He PLAYED receiver, so he should know how to use ours to hide faults in an OL. Plus, I‘ve seen that Tuttle is adequate+ and I’m told by SEC folks that Bazelak is a real arm talent. Matthews is a superior talent, I liked Simmons athleticism when he committed here out of high school, and I like Swinton and Barner.

3. We have an above-average FG kicker. Points matter.

4. We “should win” Illinois at home, Idaho at home, WKU at home. 3-0 is a good start and gives us the time to work out some kinks and get ready., build some confidence and jell.

5. The Big Ten will overlook us. “Same old IU.” We will have opportunities to for payback.

6. Fewer over-hyped Indy-area head cases on our roster.

But I’m like TD. I’m in a Missouri “show me” mood. After last year, expectations don’t sell me. I need to see it on the field. I think Ramsey and Penix made it too easy to be an OL here, and last year was a kick in the teeth. Show me some gumption. Same on defense. Warren took away our swag. Bring it back.

I'm optimistic about the new hires.
Absolute positive that Sheridan is gone. As bad as he is an OC he was a worse QB Coach. TE's is his top.
Spectacular, ball hawking D under Allen and Wilt as Warren was as bad as NS.
ST's and OL still a ? but now with enough competent AC's at Coach Allen's shoulder positive adjustments will happen.
I'm convinced as poor as offensive results were last year Bell will improve that level of play just as much as Allen/Wilt will from the level of Warren's results.

Last edited:
I expect the team to be better in year 6 of CTA's tenure. After 5 years, the roster, the scheme, the culture, the program is 100% his.

2022 is the crucible, the fulcrum of his tenure as IUFB HC. For Allen, it 2022 is his time to show how he has built his program for consistent success and is deserving optimism in the future of the program.

His peer coaches have done the same. Brohm was about to get fired after three straight losing seasons, but then he responded with 9-4 with bowl win over SEC. Locksley just went 7-6 with a 54-10 drubbing of VA Tech.

2022 is CTA's time to respond and, for that, I am optimistic.

I'm also not at all impressed with the past production of the incoming transfers. I think Tuttle could put up similar numbers if he had any semblance of an offensive line. The others have been, at best, rotation players elsewhere. The offensive line has been embarrassing for four seasons with exception of a few game spell during CKDB. I think we were probably spoiled by the CKW/Houston/Coleman/Redding years, but RB has been a related problem.
We have zero outside receivers returning of significance. Two awesome slot receivers. I hope the staff watched how the 49ers utilized Samuel and can create a similar role for David Ellis.
The defensive line regressed tremendously and lost their best player in Ryder Anderson. We lost the best linebacker we've had in 30 years.
We lost our number two corner, a three year starter, to Purdue.
With all that being said, we've got a bunch of incoming high school kids that don't care anything about that. Kids are forgetful/resilient/optimistic as hell. They'll be jacked up. If Camper can play, the RBs are at least as good as Carr was, the QB can move the chains and extend plays with his feet a little bit, and we get back to exotic blitzs that can paper over our weaknesses, we could hopefully get back to 5-6 wins.
I'm in the same boat as you. 1-2 wins would not shock me. The biggest elephant in the room (OL) was not addressed. To me, everything else is practically picking at the hedges. If they continue to be dominated up front it doesn't matter what your skill players are capable of.

I also think people are underestimating the loss of McFadden. He's worth multiple points per game.

Don't really follow recruiting, but I concur that it sounds like none of the incoming transfers are difference makers.

Reactions: Chriselli
I'm in the same boat as you. 1-2 wins would not shock me. The biggest elephant in the room (OL) was not addressed. To me, everything else is practically picking at the hedges. If they continue to be dominated up front it doesn't matter what your skill players are capable of.

I also think people are underestimating the loss of McFadden. He's worth multiple points per game.

Don't really follow recruiting, but I concur that it sounds like none of the incoming transfers are difference makers.
How can you say the incoming transfers aren't difference makers with Shivers, the QB, a couple of WR with speed we haven't had before along with Matthews coming back. On defense we have brought in talented players at LB and OLB, we will have to see how our two DT do with the increased size compared to before.

I get it you have been always negative about IUFB and you still are. I hope this team proves you wrong and you disappear like you did before when the team was having winning seasons.

Reactions: IU73 and 76-1
How can you say the incoming transfers aren't difference makers with Shivers, the QB, a couple of WR with speed we haven't had before along with Matthews coming back. On defense we have brought in talented players at LB and OLB, we will have to see how our two DT do with the increased size compared to before.

I get it you have been always negative about IUFB and you still are. I hope this team proves you wrong and you disappear like you did before when the team was having winning seasons.
They are difference makers.... on paper.

On the field is where it counts.

Illinois can't get here fast enough.

Unfortunately, last year's incoming transfers did not have much of an impact. I think Carr and Matthews were both talented, but injuries cost them a good part of the season. In the meantime, two running backs transferred out during the season.
MSU benefitted a great deal from transfers, but I wonder if it might have disrupted our team chemistry. Maybe those closer to the program might have an answer on that.

Last edited:
Listen to or coaches and hear what they say about them and see films of them its not paper.
Film... paper... semantics. And we've had many great practice players who have yet to translate it onto the field. I hope they do in 2022.

We all see potential, for sure. But until they suit up on Friday against Illinois, then it's still just on paper, or film, or whatever.

Remember Handy? Coaches had so many positive things to say, so much film showing skills and potential. But when it counts ...Zero sacks on Saturdays. Dismissed from the program.

People want results on Saturdays, not merely just potential on paper, or on film, or how good the coaches think they look in practice. Results.

Here's the thing....not sure where the depth chart below from the 'IU spring practice' thread came from, other than it doesn't seem to have been from IU (?). However, it does look pretty accurate based on the SP stories to date.

So.....it shows 7 transfers as being present time 1st string. On the one hand this sounds great....what a transfer class!! On the other hand......none of these guys, with the arguable exception of Bazelak, ever really tore things up at their previous schools. Myles Jackson, about whom the coaching staff raves, had 7 tackles in 2 years at UCLA. Shivers was 3rd string at Auburn. Simmons had 16 career catches at NC. Tevis was a solid starter at Cal so that's not a surprise. Camper's a JUCO with a less than great offer list. I believe Jennings from MD, was a part-time starter. Henderson, Cox, Lucas and Casey are all 2nd & 3rd team guys who saw limited action & success at their prior schools.

So, it's somewhat disconcerting that our returnees can't compete with these guys. I wouldn't call them 'cast offs', but none were guys being relied upon at their prior school for this year. Yet, they are dominating our spring practice.

Hopefully these guys ARE good enough to fill in the holes and get us decently through this season, so what looks like a really good recruiting class can get it's feet.

1) IU has a lot of experience returning. Yes, they were 2-10 last year but a combined 14-7 the previous two years.
2) Transfers that look to provide either starts or quality depth.
3) Illinois will be a challenge out of the gate. They played their tails off last year and this is the 2nd year under Bielema, and they will have a game under their belt. But, they're still Illinois and our talent is probably better top to bottom.
4) Front half of the schedule plays out quite well to build confidence.
5) Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Penn St and Purdue all at home. Yes, UM & PSU have better overall roster talent but we've proven the last few years we can compete with them.
6) With all the offensive skill position roster turnover plus a new OC, we will be very difficult to gameplan for the first few weeks.

1) IU has a lot of experience returning. Yes, they were 2-10 last year but a combined 14-7 the previous two years.
2) Transfers that look to provide either starts or quality depth.
3) Illinois will be a challenge out of the gate. They played their tails off last year and this is the 2nd year under Bielema, and they will have a game under their belt. But, they're still Illinois and our talent is probably better top to bottom.
4) Front half of the schedule plays out quite well to build confidence.
5) Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Penn St and Purdue all at home. Yes, UM & PSU have better overall roster talent but we've proven the last few years we can compete with them.
6) With all the offensive skill position roster turnover plus a new OC, we will be very difficult to gameplan for the first few weeks.

Illinois at IU sounds like an attractive game at this point. Should be nice weather, and a mediocre opponent but one which will be a test. Can't ask for more out of a 1st game. Hope we're up for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT