ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff teams . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . after yesterday's weirdness I still think that the top 4 teams in the country are the same 4 we've been talking about all season - LSU, OSU, Clemson and BAMA. Sure BAMA has a loss from last night, but that's because Tua couldn't run the way he has his whole career up to having surgery 3 weeks ago.

What do y'all think?

. . . after yesterday's weirdness I still think that the top 4 teams in the country are the same 4 we've been talking about all season - LSU, OSU, Clemson and BAMA. Sure BAMA has a loss from last night, but that's because Tua couldn't run the way he has his whole career up to having surgery 3 weeks ago.

What do y'all think?
I think the top 3 teams are OSU, LSU, and Bama. The questionable team is Clemson primarily because of their schedule. They play their first ranked team in Wake Forrest this coming Saturday. Should they be penalized for a down ACC? Well, in short, I think we could understand if they were penalized if another team was worthy say from the PAC 12 or Big 12. Do we really see anyone that could supplant them from those Conferences? Oregon? Oklahoma? Utah? I don’t think so. It’s still Clemson. OSU hasn’t really been tested this year either. I think Minnesota if they win out (long shot) may get some consideration in the final week but other than that, Clemson belongs but they can’t lose.

Georgia is in an interesting position. If they meet LSU in the SEC Championship and win, how could you keep them out? They would be the SEC Champ. It could put Bama or Clemson out if that happens. Tough calls either way.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think the top 3 teams are OSU, LSU, and Bama. The questionable team is Clemson primarily because of their schedule. They play their first ranked team in Wake Forrest this coming Saturday. Should they be penalized for a down ACC? Well, in short, I think we could understand if they were penalized if another team was worthy say from the PAC 12 or Big 12. Do we really see anyone that could supplant them from those Conferences? Oregon? Oklahoma? Utah? I don’t think so. It’s still Clemson. OSU hasn’t really been tested this year either. I think Minnesota if they win out (long shot) may get some consideration in the final week but other than that, Clemson belongs but they can’t lose.

Georgia is in an interesting position. If they meet LSU in the SEC Championship and win, how could you keep them out? They would be the SEC Champ. It could put Bama or Clemson out if that happens. Tough calls either way.
UGA has Auburn next Saturday. If they beat AU, then they'll have beaten 3 top 10 teams this year, and your scenario would present a lot of problems for the selection committee.

I don't mean to dismiss Oklahoma, Oregon or Utah . . . or PSU for that matter. I just don't think their records stack up with the 5 we're discussing. And that fits with the eye test, as well.

Your comment about OSU not being tested is interesting, because they've played some pretty good teams, including a better-than-expected IU team. If they paste PSU like you're projecting (with reason) and cruise in the BiG championship game, then they'd be right up there with LSU and BAMA.

I think Clemson has been playing to their competition. They're unbeaten and national champs . . . it'd be a travesty of justice to exclude them because their conference has had a down year.

UGA has Auburn next Saturday. If they beat AU, then they'll have beaten 3 top 10 teams this year, and your scenario would present a lot of problems for the selection committee.

I don't mean to dismiss Oklahoma, Oregon or Utah . . . or PSU for that matter. I just don't think their records stack up with the 5 we're discussing. And that fits with the eye test, as well.

Your comment about OSU not being tested is interesting, because they've played some pretty good teams, including a better-than-expected IU team. If they paste PSU like you're projecting (with reason) and cruise in the BiG championship game, then they'd be right up there with LSU and BAMA.

I think Clemson has been playing to their competition. They're unbeaten and national champs . . . it'd be a travesty of justice to exclude them because their conference has had a down year.

I agree about Clemson. But I think OSU was kept out one year because of B10 being down. Nice insight this morning SC. I’ve enjoyed it

Oregon needs to be mentioned. They have the talent and speed. If they run the table and beat Utah they should get a shot. Oklahoma NO...Anyone watch iowa state come back on them last night? Awesome game! They went for two and the win at the end of the game and couldnt pull it in.

There is still a lot of football to happen before this all sorts out. I think the only obvious things are undefeated OSU, LSU, or Clemson teams make the cut. I personally think the last slot should go to a one-loss Oregon, Utah, or Oklahoma depending on if they don't take a 2nd L and win their conference championship game.

This year could very well be the gateway to a 6/8 team playoff in the very near future.

What do y'all think?
Alabama did not hurt their play-off chances with that loss.

An undefeated Clemson team who is defending national champion cannot be kept out of the play-offs.

Reactions: midwolfe

What do y'all think?

Their Defense gave up 46, 46!! That’s not on Tua. I hate that argument. If they make a few plays they win. Let’s say OSU loses one game and UGA beats LSU in the SEC title game. We will get Clemson, Bama, UGA and LSU. That’s not good for the sport. Bama hasn’t beaten one team in the top 25 and even if they run the table that count will rise to one (Auburn). The committee changes what they want yearly. Look test, schedule strength or conference champ. I guess it’s a combination of all three but the rules seem to change when the SEC is involved.

Their Defense gave up 46, 46!! That’s not on Tua. I hate that argument. If they make a few plays they win. Let’s say OSU loses one game and UGA beats LSU in the SEC title game. We will get Clemson, Bama, UGA and LSU. That’s not good for the sport. Bama hasn’t beaten one team in the top 25 and even if they run the table that count will rise to one (Auburn). The committee changes what they want yearly. Look test, schedule strength or conference champ. I guess it’s a combination of all three but the rules seem to change when the SEC is involved.

Bama will get in, bank on it.

If LSU, Bama and UGA all end up with one loss Finebaum and SEC will be screaming for all three to be in the playoffs.

I’m no Clemson fan (at all), but I can’t justify leaving the defending champs out of the playoff group until they lose, even if I think they’ve played a garbage schedule. As many on here have said about IU, you can only beat who you play.

If LSU, Bama and UGA all end up with one loss Finebaum and SEC will be screaming for all three to be in the playoffs.

I think the SEC is a shoe-in to get 2 teams in. If GA loses to LSU in the SEC championship game, GA is out and BAMA is in. If GA beats LSU in the SEC CG, GA & LSU are in, Bama is out.

I'm not saying that's the way it should be. Imo, Alabama should be out right now. When the selection committee goes on and on about toughness of schedule, and Bama schedules Duke, NM State, and W Carolina, all at home, Bama is giving a big middle finger to the committee. The thought should be that if you make such a schedule, you're making a bet that you will go undefeated on the season. Lose one and you're out assuming there are reasonable alternatives.....and there are, at least for now. F*** the eye test.

Reactions: IUINSB and Kelly_32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT