ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Games in Empty Stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to not back you up D but he's right...

Now that may well change over the next 12-18 months but at the moment the ecomic distress isn't what it was back in the "30's" with no safety nets aside from the goodwill of the man next to you...
I realize we don't agree on this. And that's OK. I respect you enough not to get into it with you because it's pointless.

My problem is with the hysteria that's being needlessly spread. We were shut down to flatten the curve. We've done that. The curve never showed a decrease in the number of deaths - only delayed infections so the medical system could handle it.

Let's let facts determine how we proceed. And right now, the facts are showing a decrease in the rate of deaths caused by the virus (I won't get into the fact that the actual cause of the death doesn't matter - if the patient has the virus, it's counted as a corona death). They also show the risk for healthy adults under 60 to be extremely low.

We are all free to self-quarantine if we want.

Let's concentrate our national resources on those most vulnerable. We can start by screening every nursing home and retirement communities, testing every resident, and taking appropriate action. Let's put our resources where the most risk is. That is the sensible approach to me.

And it's ok if you disagree with me - my wife does it all the time.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I realize we don't agree on this. And that's OK. I respect you enough not to get into it with you because it's pointless.

My problem is with the hysteria that's being needlessly spread. We were shut down to flatten the curve. We've done that. The curve never showed a decrease in the number of deaths - only delayed infections so the medical system could handle it.

Let's let facts determine how we proceed. And right now, the facts are showing a decrease in the rate of deaths caused by the virus (I won't get into the fact that the actual cause of the death doesn't matter - if the patient has the virus, it's counted as a corona death). They also show the risk for healthy adults under 60 to be extremely low.

Let's concentrate our national resources on those most vulnerable. We can start by screening every nursing home and retirement communities, testing every resident, and taking appropriate action. Let's put our resources where the most risk is. That is the sensible approach to me.

;):)

Well...

I do very much agree with your next to last paragraph.

We, as a country, had best focus our resources on protecting our most vulnerable (and I would emphatically add Healthcare Workers to that mix) because it seems clear that a good percentage of our society is more than ready to move on and get out there regardless of what the consequences may be, so we'd better be ready for the next 3 waves of this scourge...

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Hate to not back you up D but he's right...

Now that may well change over the next 12-18 months but at the moment the ecomic distress isn't what it was back in the "30's" with no safety nets aside from the goodwill of the man next to you...
I mean we now live in a society where a guy with a $70,000 SUV in his driveway and a high def TV on his wall bigger than my first apartment has to get carry out and work from home for 6 weeks and thinks ty
Well...

I do very much agree with your next to last paragraph.

We, as a country, had best focus our resources on protecting our most vulnerable (and I would emphatically add Healthcare Workers to that mix) because it seems clear that a good percentage of our society is more than ready to move on and get out there regardless of what the consequences may be, so we'd better be ready for the next 3 waves of this scourge...
And, according to the WHO, the US just reported our deadliest day since the COVID-19 outbreak. Not sure how to link article from Twitter?

Here's the rub...most workers don't feel safe going back to work and don't want to return. Opening things back up, even though MANY citizens will not be out and about spending money, is purely a ploy to get furloughed employees off the unemployment roles (refusing to return strips unemployment benefits) for political optics and to cater to large companies. Additionally, most service workers are viewed with little respect by their employers or anyone in power. Their access to healthcare stinks and I don't think loitering at the mall is worth the risk.

But back to football: Due to the fact the games are outdoors, and that we will become numb to the death toll, I'm beginning to believe that games will be played with stadiums at 1/2 to 1/3 capacity, masks required, and no concessions.

But back to football: Due to the fact the games are outdoors, and that we will become numb to the death toll, I'm beginning to believe that games will be played with stadiums at 1/2 to 1/3 capacity, masks required, and no concessions.
It's already happened. We're north of 60,000 deaths and climbing, and yet you've got people right here in this thread claiming "hysteria".

Here's the rub...most workers don't feel safe going back to work and don't want to return. Opening things back up, even though MANY citizens will not be out and about spending money, is purely a ploy to get furloughed employees off the unemployment roles (refusing to return strips unemployment benefits) for political optics and to cater to large companies. Additionally, most service workers are viewed with little respect by their employers or anyone in power. Their access to healthcare stinks and I don't think loitering at the mall is worth the risk.

I don't think "1/2 to 1/3" will happen...way to tight. My concept calls for 10% max.

We were shut down to flatten the curve. We've done that. The curve never showed a decrease in the number of deaths - only delayed infections so the medical system could handle it.
Yes, all things being equal the area under the tall curve and the flattened/extended one would theoretically be the same. But that doesn't take into account that the time bought has allowed the health care people to learn on the job and get better at the standard care protocols. They now know better how and when to use 100% oxygen or when to go to vents, etc. It's also allowed time for therapeutics to be developed, like Remdisivir. None are breakthroughs or magic bullets, but they do add up. If a 5% reduction in deaths has been achieved, that's surely something.

Yes, all things being equal the area under the tall curve and the flattened/extended one would theoretically be the same. But that doesn't take into account that the time bought has allowed the health care people to learn on the job and get better at the standard care protocols. They now know better how and when to use 100% oxygen or when to go to vents, etc. It's also allowed time for therapeutics to be developed, like Remdisivir. None are breakthroughs or magic bullets, but they do add up. If a 5% reduction in deaths has been achieved, that's surely something.

US has a four-day decline through Sat. although the weekend reporting has been unreliable creating early week spikes.

US has a four-day decline through Sat. although the weekend reporting has been unreliable creating early week spikes.
I think we're a long way away from a definitive downward trend. Opening up now is a roll of the dice with damn high stakes. I hope we're lucky.

Reactions: jsenleo

Most of the USA has not seen a decline:
From Scott Gottlieb:
"Excluding the New York tristate area, national covid19 infections, hospitalizations, and deaths continue to increase. The national doubling time has rise to about 25 days, but the epidemic continues to slowly expand. And covid spread - although slower - remains persistent."

Most of the USA has not seen a decline:
From Scott Gottlieb:
"Excluding the New York tristate area, national covid19 infections, hospitalizations, and deaths continue to increase. The national doubling time has rise to about 25 days, but the epidemic continues to slowly expand. And covid spread - although slower - remains persistent."

This is correct as well.

I mean the numbers are going to increase, right? That’s a known fact. But outside of a couple massive metropolitan areas were not even close to healthcare capacity. I mean we’re going to lose somewhere in the 6 figures of total population. That’s a pretty well known fact.

The real pathetic thing to me is they can’t figure out a way to tell how widespread the virus is. We need to figure out how widespread the stinking thing is. I’m convinced my entire family had it late Feb-Early March about 2 weeks after returning from Disney World but we can’t even be anti-body tested here. It has to be recommended by a doctor.

I mean the numbers are going to increase, right? That’s a known fact. But outside of a couple massive metropolitan areas were not even close to healthcare capacity. I mean we’re going to lose somewhere in the 6 figures of total population. That’s a pretty well known fact.

The real pathetic thing to me is they can’t figure out a way to tell how widespread the virus is. We need to figure out how widespread the stinking thing is. I’m convinced my entire family had it late Feb-Early March about 2 weeks after returning from Disney World but we can’t even be anti-body tested here. It has to be recommended by a doctor.
Everyone wants to believe they've already had it. Most haven't.

Everyone wants to believe they've already had it. Most haven't.

Probably true. But I’d like to know! The timeline matches up and Disney World is an international germ harbor. Mother in Law. Terrible lasting dry cough for a week. Daughter pneumonia. Daughter soreness and fatigue. Me extreme tiredness for a weekend. Wife extreme tiredness for a weekend 2 days of low grade fever. Son moderate fever 3-4 days. My father in law and brother in law who both didn’t go on the trip both got sick approximately mid March. FIL had cold like symptoms. Brother in Law got very sick and went to the doctor multiple times. Had all the classic symptoms, but this was before they had tests for people who hadn’t traveled internationally. He didn’t recover until early April. 3 of them had flu tests all negative. Official diagnosis ..virus. Did we have it? Possibly, possibly not. But it would be nice to know!!!

The facts are there are no facts when it comes to this virus. You got get any facts from the Republicans. You get even fewer facts from the democrats who are not even working. And you have even less of hands of getting facts from mainstream media. You get mixed messages from social media. You see some doctors online that believe it is ok to open back up and others that believe it would be a huge mistake. Who knows what to think? My guess it time to reopen and let people decide for themselves. You probably can't reopen completely any way. But somehow you have to figure a way to not punish those who chose not to go back right away. As far as restaurants go my fifth is going to close down the main business street for pedestrian traffic only and allow restaurants to have more seating outside. Just have to figure out ways to be creative. We are hoping that many restaurants were saved by the Socially Distanced Supper Club which has led 10,000 members. They would choose a couple of different restaurants each night and all order from. It rotated nightly and have life and hope to owners. There are ways to make it work.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The facts are there are no facts when it comes to this virus. You got get any facts from the Republicans. You get even fewer facts from the democrats who are not even working. And you have even less of hands of getting facts from mainstream media. You get mixed messages from social media. You see some doctors online that believe it is ok to open back up and others that believe it would be a huge mistake. Who knows what to think? My guess it time to reopen and let people decide for themselves. You probably can't reopen completely any way. But somehow you have to figure a way to not punish those who chose not to go back right away. As far as restaurants go my fifth is going to close down the main business street for pedestrian traffic only and allow restaurants to have more seating outside. Just have to figure out ways to be creative. We are hoping that many restaurants were saved by the Socially Distanced Supper Club which has led 10,000 members. They would choose a couple of different restaurants each night and all order from. It rotated nightly and have life and hope to owners. There are ways to make it work..

You’re getting your pandemic advice from social media? May I suggest that you focus on what the epidemiologist say? You’re guessing that it’s time to re-open and let people decide for themselves? WTF!

Your neighbors here in Florida are polling that it is too early to open Florida back up by 72% to 22%

Reactions: travlinhoosier
When 30 million Americans are out of work and the country is printing 4 trillion dollars to prop up the economy, it's a Depression.

During the Depression of the 1930s, not everyone was out of work. It did not affect everyone the same, just as this Depression does not affect everyone the same.

But if you've spend your life building a business only to see it destroyed in 2 months, that's a real Depression. You can argue over the terms, but when 25% of the country is out of a job, those are Depression-level numbers.

Sorry - just because I'm not feeling any pain right now doesn't mean others - many others - aren't. I'm retired, so if I was totally selfish, I wouldn't worry about others. But I do. And I worry about the suspension of civil liberties, which doesn't seem to be an issue with many people In that respect, it's way worse than the 1930s Depression. At least their rights weren't taken away by local petty bureaucrats.

What civil liberties of yours are being suspended? What rights of yours have been taken away?

So...those of us who live in places where the outbreak is very minimal...we just supposed to sit at home?? My area for instance. 50,000 people in the county. 13 deaths. Little over 100 positive cases. All the deaths and over half the cases are attributed to 1 nursing home. So basically out of 49,900 people, 0 deaths and 40’ish positive cases. Are we supposed to shelter in place over that? That would be idiotic!

Hang in there! Pence says this is largely going to be behind us by Memorial Day weekend

Saw just a while ago a doctor in Paris has confirmed a Corona case from late December by retesting old samples now that they have Corona tests. Even retested it and it came back positive again. It’s really becoming not at all inconceivable that this thing was circulating the US in in 2019. Not just regionally in Cali and Washington. Makes sense really. It literally took 1 traveler from China in November (or earlier...we’ll never know their timeline) to kick it all off.

What civil liberties of yours are being suspended? What rights of yours have been taken away?
Pick one. How about the right of assembly?

How about restricting travel?

How about free speech, when people are being arrested for protesting?

How about being arrested for standing by yourself in a park?

All these things are happening, or have happened.

When they are taken away for one, they are taken away for everyone.

If you don't want things opened up, fine. You and your family stay quarantined. That's YOUR right and choice. Don't try to be a nanny to the rest of the country.

The facts are there are no facts when it comes to this virus. You got get any facts from the Republicans. You get even fewer facts from the democrats who are not even working. And you have even less of hands of getting facts from mainstream media.

Not sure why you are making this political. At least no democrats have suggested injecting disinfectant as a solution. At least democrats weren't told about it in January and hid it from the public for as long as possible. At least democrats didnt downplay the severity when it did become public.

Danc,

Public safety and safety of our healthcare workers trumps anything you just said.

Not sure why you are making this political. At least no democrats have suggested injecting disinfectant as a solution. At least democrats weren't told about it in January and hid it from the public for as long as possible. At least democrats didnt downplay the severity when it did become public.

Danc,

Public safety and safety of our healthcare workers trumps anything you just said.
Wrong. Civil rights were not legally suspended and local politicians are making up rules that have nothing to do with public safety and safety of our healthcare workers.

You are pushing a false narrative. We have people dying at an alarming rate now in nursing homes and senior housing. And they have been shut down for months now.

We need to protect the vulnerable and let those with little risk get on with their lives.

To just so casually dismiss the Constitutional rights I took a vow to defend is insulting to me and everyone else who has took the same oath when they joined the military.

You thinking it is ok to go about your daily lives as if nothing is happening and risking the vulnerable is insulting to me.

Would playing games in empty stadiums benefit IU?

IU doesn’t have near the home field advantage as a Michigan or Ohio State does. Seems like this might be to our advantage (or even things out) if it ends up happening.
I've thought for awhile it would probably help us for game 1 in Camp Randall, but I honestly don't see that happening by the time college football season rolls around. The things coming out now still puts me in the belief that there will not only be college football as scheduled, but that things will be similar to as they were last season. I'm sure with the education we've experienced over the past couple months will lead to some much needed sanitary ch/hygenic type changes, but others, I don't see much else. Fans can certainly chose to go or watch on TV, just like before.

You thinking it is ok to go about your daily lives as if nothing is happening and risking the vulnerable is insulting to me.

The vulnerable shouldn’t be out at all. They should be hunkered down. If they get out and mingle at Walmart when there really isn’t a need to, that’s on them. Kroger/Jay C here in Indiana have been offering free delivery since March. Every single church in my area has volunteered to shop and leave groceries for the vulnerable. If you have a vulnerable family member it’s YOUR responsibility to shop for them if needed. We have covid hotlines that provide help just in these situations. There are senior shopping hours everywhere now at the beginning of the day if they must get out. There are a heck of a lot of things in place to keep the old and vulnerable safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT