ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Games in Empty Stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better IMO. Hope I'm wrong but I think there will be no students on campus or college sports this year and probably through next spring.

Who cares if they play in empty stadiums. But people need sports. It would boost overall morale immensely. Covid isn’t going away. We’re gonna be dealing with it for probably a few years. We can’t just hang out inside forever. At some point we’re gonna have to have a second wave to kinda kick off the rise to herd immunity. It is what it is. Thousands of lives lost and thousands of families destroyed by job loss. Social distancing forever just delays the inevitable.

Who cares if they play in empty stadiums. But people need sports. It would boost overall morale immensely. Covid isn’t going away. We’re gonna be dealing with it for probably a few years. We can’t just hang out inside forever. At some point we’re gonna have to have a second wave to kinda kick off the rise to herd immunity. It is what it is. Thousands of lives lost and thousands of families destroyed by job loss. Social distancing forever just delays the inevitable.
I agree with you that sports is important for morale and I miss it as much as anyone but I would encourage you to do some research on herd immunity. It doesn’t work with coronaviruses like it does with other communicable diseases. They mutate and immunity disappears. That’s why we get flu vaccines every year and why we get colds over and over. Throwing the doors open and “getting it over with” doesn’t work. We won’t achieve anything approaching herd immunity until we have a vaccine. That’s why we have the social distancing strategy...to minimize the damage until we have a vaccine. This sucks but you are correct in saying it is what it is and it’s going to be with us for a while. The key for responsible leaders is to minimize loss of life in the meantime and that means social distancing.
Let’s play in empty stadiums if the players want to play and public health is protected and put the games on TV so we can all watch.

We’ll see what ends up happening with Stockholm. They’re the test dummy. Minimal distancing and told the old and vulnerable to stay inside. They have a significantly higher death rate now but if their late summer rise isn’t very high, then we’ll know.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I agree with you that sports is important for morale and I miss it as much as anyone but I would encourage you to do some research on herd immunity. It doesn’t work with coronaviruses like it does with other communicable diseases. They mutate and immunity disappears. That’s why we get flu vaccines every year and why we get colds over and over. Throwing the doors open and “getting it over with” doesn’t work. We won’t achieve anything approaching herd immunity until we have a vaccine. That’s why we have the social distancing strategy...to minimize the damage until we have a vaccine. This sucks but you are correct in saying it is what it is and it’s going to be with us for a while. The key for responsible leaders is to minimize loss of life in the meantime and that means social distancing.
Let’s play in empty stadiums if the players want to play and public health is protected and put the games on TV so we can all watch.

Not really accurate. Why would a vaccine work but herd immunity wouldn't? Read here... herd immunity + vaccine is the end game with this thing.

Within a few years, we’ll hopefully have enough herd immunity — from a vaccine along with natural immunity from so many people getting sick — to have eradicated the disease so reinfection will no longer be an issue.​

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...nd-covid-19#Just-how-long-will-immunity-last?

Sounds like something Jared Kushner would say.

Sounds like something Jared Kushner would say.

There’s gotta be a better answer than stay inside and destroy the economy. I’m all ears. Staying distanced for months on end will not work. Every state will go broke. There has to be a compromise. People are going to die. It could be me or you. It sucks. But bankrupting every single state won’t work either. Our kids school district has already blown the horn about teaching positions being eliminated because of the reduction in tax money they expect to receive for 2021.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Not really accurate. Why would a vaccine work but herd immunity wouldn't? Read here... herd immunity + vaccine is the end game with this thing.

Within a few years, we’ll hopefully have enough herd immunity — from a vaccine along with natural immunity from so many people getting sick — to have eradicated the disease so reinfection will no longer be an issue.​

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...nd-covid-19#Just-how-long-will-immunity-last?
Yes, accurate. You pulled one sentence from a long article. I didn’t say no one would be immune without a vaccine. I said we won’t get to herd immunity without one and that’s exactly what the article concludes.

What is your proposal for preventing large groups of students from walking into the grass lots with coolers full of beer and partying?
My proposal is to ban it for this season. It would hardly be the only major change students will be dealing with on campus this fall. Plenty of advanced notice, strategically placed signs and law enforcement handing out citations would quickly take care of things. And martial law would not have to be declared! :D

Reactions: vesuvius13
There’s gotta be a better answer than stay inside and destroy the economy. I’m all ears. Staying distanced for months on end will not work. Every state will go broke. There has to be a compromise. People are going to die. It could be me or you. It sucks. But bankrupting every single state won’t work either. Our kids school district has already blown the horn about teaching positions being eliminated because of the reduction in tax money they expect to receive for 2021.
We are compromising now. We aren’t under a total lockdown. There would be significant economic damage if we let the virus run wild. Sick people can’t work, dead people can’t work or buy things, and an overwhelmed healthcare system would lead to even more death and economic damage. The economy is taking a hit no matter what.
Leaders with spines could keep the economy propped up while maintaining good public health policy. We don’t have to choose one or the other.

The good news is that CBS reported yesterday that Remdesivir has past the two most recent tests and looks more and more like a viable treatment. Also, Johns Hopkins reported on the progress of a vaccine that may be available as early as September. I just love science.

My proposal is to ban it for this season. It would hardly be the only major change students will be dealing with on campus this fall. Plenty of advanced notice, strategically placed signs and law enforcement handing out citations would quickly take care of things. And martial law would not have to be declared! :D
Yes, that possible but with even the best of things, there comes a point where it’s not worth the effort. I can’t see university leaders choosing to do all that just so that a handful of people can sit 6 feet apart in a stadium with zero atmosphere, most with a much worse view that they would have on TV for virtually no, if any, financial gain. It wouldn’t make sense. Let’s just all watch the game son TV, if they are played.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The good news is that CBS reported yesterday that Remdesivir has past the two most recent tests and looks more and more like a viable treatment. Also, Johns Hopkins reported on the progress of a vaccine that may be available as early as September. I just love science.
I’ve been following that development and it looks promising. Let’s hope.

Sorry for being harsh with you the other day. It wasn’t necessary on my part.

Friends, fans, guests, etc.
This thread is getting very close to going off the rails. Please count to ten before you click the "post reply" button or I'll have to lock it.
Thanks.

Sorry, this wasn’t where I expected this thread to go.

So is the North Carolina state university system.

I don't know whether reopening campuses in the Fall is prudent or not, and I'm not taking a position on it. There are a ton of variables and August is still three months away. But if new Covid hospitalizations and deaths continue trending down, there's going to be a growing call for campus reopenings. And if campuses do, in fact, reopen, I would love to see football with reasonable protections and sensible crowd reduction measures in place. It that meant no tailgating for the season, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The Super Bowl hasn't allowed tailgating in years, and it doesn't require the imposition of martial law to implement the ban. Lol.

Looks like University of North Carolina can roll out their African-American studies program again. No classes. No papers. No exams. ;)

Yes, accurate. You pulled one sentence from a long article. I didn’t say no one would be immune without a vaccine. I said we won’t get to herd immunity without one and that’s exactly what the article concludes.

You claimed that this virus would mutate and immunity would disappear..... such as like the flu. There is no evidence that is true..... the article says just the opposite, actually.

Regardless, and back to the point of the thread....I do not see a very plausible path for there to be a football season this fall. Teams need 6-8 weeks to prepare and condition alone.

You claimed that this virus would mutate and immunity would disappear..... such as like the flu. There is no evidence that is true..... the article says just the opposite, actually.

Regardless, and back to the point of the thread....I do not see a very plausible path for there to be a football season this fall. Teams need 6-8 weeks to prepare and condition alone.
I didn’t say this particular virus would do anything. We don’t know enough about it to know what it will do. We can only compare it to similar viruses. You’re taking a piece of what I said out of context to argue with it. If you want to quibble with my use of the word “disappears”, fair enough. “Wanes” is more accurate but it is accurate.

Here’s a non mass media source with a relevant passage included- https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/achieving-herd-immunity-with-covid19.html
“Other viruses (like the flu) mutate over time, so antibodies from a previous infection provide protection for only a short period of time. For the flu, this is less than a year. If SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is like other coronaviruses that currently infect humans, we can expect that people who get infected will be immune for months to years, but probably not their entire lives.”

And I don’t disagree with the possibility of playing the season. It getting close to decision time. I believe CTA said that July 1 was a virtual cutoff date for getting players ready to play.

Reactions: destewart
We’ll see what ends up happening with Stockholm. They’re the test dummy. Minimal distancing and told the old and vulnerable to stay inside. They have a significantly higher death rate now but if their late summer rise isn’t very high, then we’ll know.
When you think about it, that's basically what we've done anyway, except that we've kept more people home than they have, but when you allow any businesses to stay open, essential or not, & allow people to still go to them, you are at best slowing the spread, which I know was the acknowledged idea from the start, but that's not a sustainable strategy, you can't do that for a year to a year & a half. Anyway, we need to come up with the next phase, which is what we are doing, or starting to anyway, but I just hope people realize, deaths & illnesses ain't stopping, & when they happen it doesn't mean you have to close everything down again, you can't keep doing that long term. We have to understand we're going to live with this, until we get a vaccine, which isn't even a guarantee. I'm curious to see if Sweden gets herd immunity, & if they are free from illness if they do.

Reactions: ams66 and DANC
This is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better IMO. Hope I'm wrong but I think there will be no students on campus or college sports this year and probably through next spring.
You know it’s a bit weird how some have just kind of “moved on” from this, almost like it’s a TV show they’re tired of. I understand that many have been financially affected. But when you look at the hardship of the Great Depression and WWII where folks either went without altogether or had to ration items like meat, sugar and flour, seems like what we have been asked to sacrifice is on a much lesser scale. We are rapidly approaching 70,000 dead and no slow down in sight in terms of deaths per day.

You know it’s a bit weird how some have just kind of “moved on” from this, almost like it’s a TV show they’re tired of. I understand that many have been financially affected. But when you look at the hardship of the Great Depression and WWII where folks either went without altogether or had to ration items like meat, sugar and flour, seems like what we have been asked to sacrifice is on a much lesser scale. We are rapidly approaching 70,000 dead and no slow down in sight in terms of deaths per day.

Our death per day rate actually is slowing down. The 3 worst days so far were 4/21, 4/17, and 4/15. If you look at the curve it’s definitely trending downward slightly.

Reactions: DANC
Other than not going to work, I don't think a lot of people, like a huge %, have sacrificed a damn thing. So I don't think people have necessarily moved on from it so much as they never moved into it, so to speak, in the 1st place. I was at Meier today, & it was unbelievable how many people weren't doing anything to take precautions, nothing whatsoever. Of all the western countries, our restrictions have been the weakest--that's why our #'s are so bad. Nowhere else could you walk around with no mask, 2 feet away from everyone, everytime you walk by them. Not to mention the fact that THOUSANDS of people are out nearly every day, at least in my town, which isn't that big of a town. We're really not locked down at all to begin with, absolute half-assed effort, & the #'s are only going to continue to rise, I guarantee it. No more going to the store for me, it's instacart or curbside pickup from now on. This was the last straw, what I saw today. Also though, yes some people are angry because they know they're going to lose their businesses, or jobs, if this continues much longer--& those are legitimate concerns, they feel like they might as well be dead if they lose those things, which might be a bit extreme, but the point is--they have a point, & you have a point--that's the reality of this situation. It's a lose lose, at a HUGE scale. Absolutely disastrous situation. Idk what happens from here, we need some majorly good things to happen in the biggest way. Hopefully this Rensellear, or whatever it's called will make a difference, & hopefully something else will come along soon after it to really make a significant difference. We can only hope. This virus ain't going away though, we're going to have to figure out how to live with it, & the risk of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Have you looked at the unemployment numbers?

We ARE in a great Depression.

"many have been financially affect" = "Some people did something" on 9/11.

Other than not going to work, I don't think a lot of people, like a huge %, have sacrificed a damn thing. So I don't think people have necessarily moved on from it so much as they never moved into it, so to speak, in the 1st place. I was at Meier today, & it was unbelievable how many people weren't doing anything to take precautions, nothing whatsoever. Of all the western countries, our restrictions have been the weakest--that's why our #'s are so bad. Nowhere else could you walk around with no mask, 2 feet away from everyone, everytime you walk by them. Not to mention the fact that THOUSANDS of people are out nearly every day, at least in my town, which isn't that big of a town. We're really not locked down at all to begin with, absolute half-assed effort, & the #'s are only going to continue to rise, I guarantee it. No more going to the store for me, it's instacart or curbside pickup from now on. This was the last straw, what I saw today. Also though, yes some people are angry because they know they're going to lose their businesses, or jobs, if this continues much longer--& those are legitimate concerns, they feel like they might as well be dead if they lose those things, which might be a bit extreme, but the point is--they have a point, & you have a point--that's the reality of this situation. It's a lose lose, at a HUGE scale. Absolutely disastrous situation. Idk what happens from here, we need some majorly good things to happen in the biggest way. Hopefully this Rensellear, or whatever it's called will make a difference, & hopefully something else will come along soon after it to really make a significant difference. We can only hope. This virus ain't going away though, we're going to have to figure out how to live with it, & the risk of it.

Every self absorbed jerk you walked within 5 feet of who didn't have a mask on basically played Russian Roulette with you..., the only difference being that you won't know whether the chamber was loaded for 14 days...

In my opinion, we are going to pay dearly for the whims of the we've got to get a haircut and/or go hang out with our friends at a bar crowd...

Reactions: travlinhoosier

Not even close

Not even close man. They didn’t have near the safety nets in the 20’, 30’s and 40’s that we do now. Similar unemployment numbers? Sure. Similar way of life? No. Talk to you elders man.

Not even close

Not even close man. They didn’t have near the safety nets in the 20’, 30’s and 40’s that we do now. Similar unemployment numbers? Sure. Similar way of life? No. Talk to you elders man.
I never said similar way of life.

But if you deny we're in a Depression, you're closing your eyes to reality. 30 million out of work. How many more trillions can we print to keep the economy from totally collapsing?

Reactions: ams66 and destewart
It would be a sure way to create resentment among the people who are left out. The opposite of “we’re all in this together” for minimal to no financial gain. And every school would have to agree. Any school uncomfortable with that would sink it for everyone.

If done as lottery, no reason for resentment. It they are playing front of otherwise empty stands...this can be a school by school option.

Does your Internet still work? Is your freezer still full of food? And can you still order from Amazon and get things delivered to your door in two days. If so you are not experiencing the great depression.

Hate to not back you up D but he's right...

Now that may well change over the next 12-18 months but at the moment the ecomic distress isn't what it was back in the "30's" with no safety nets aside from the goodwill of the man next to you...

So...those of us who live in places where the outbreak is very minimal...we just supposed to sit at home?? My area for instance. 50,000 people in the county. 13 deaths. Little over 100 positive cases. All the deaths and over half the cases are attributed to 1 nursing home. So basically out of 49,900 people, 0 deaths and 40’ish positive cases. Are we supposed to shelter in place over that? That would be idiotic!

Reactions: brebelle3 and DANC
Does your Internet still work? Is your freezer still full of food? And can you still order from Amazon and get things delivered to your door in two days. If so you are not experiencing the great depression.
When 30 million Americans are out of work and the country is printing 4 trillion dollars to prop up the economy, it's a Depression.

During the Depression of the 1930s, not everyone was out of work. It did not affect everyone the same, just as this Depression does not affect everyone the same.

But if you've spend your life building a business only to see it destroyed in 2 months, that's a real Depression. You can argue over the terms, but when 25% of the country is out of a job, those are Depression-level numbers.

Sorry - just because I'm not feeling any pain right now doesn't mean others - many others - aren't. I'm retired, so if I was totally selfish, I wouldn't worry about others. But I do. And I worry about the suspension of civil liberties, which doesn't seem to be an issue with many people In that respect, it's way worse than the 1930s Depression. At least their rights weren't taken away by local petty bureaucrats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT