ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Games in Empty Stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are speculating way too early as things change quickly. There are a number of colleges now planning on students being on campus this fall and my guess is more and more will come out with this plan. If students are on campus there will be fans in the stands this fall.

Last edited:
Not playing football games at all.

If the games are in empty stadiums it is pretty obvious we have two conditions existing which render games moot. One is there are no students attending classes on campus and two is there are not fourteen Big Ten schools holding classes and playing football.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If there is anything in the world of sports worse than the prospect of playing football games in an empty stadium tell me what it would be?

Not playing at all would be much worse.

That said, the stadiums do not have to be empty. As i have stated here before sell 2500 assigned spaced seats at $150 - $200 each which includes parking, a box lunch inside and you can bring in a cooler. Worth $3MM. Minimal staff no concessions.

That said, the stadiums do not have to be empty. As i have stated here before sell 2500 assigned spaced seats at $150 - $200 each which includes parking, a box lunch inside and you can bring in a cooler. Worth $3MM. Minimal staff no concessions.

I doubt seriously that the President and BOT of any Big Ten university is going to hold a football game which is designed exclusively as a money maker. It is so freaking “Elitest” it ignores the existing reality which at least on the surface pretends it is a game for the students and fans from all social-economic status.

For this year let the 95% watch on TV, which is a better experience anyway, and take money directly from the 5%. But it requires lots of quick accurate tests. Think we can do that?

I doubt seriously that the President and BOT of any Big Ten university is going to hold a football game which is designed exclusively as a money maker. It is so freaking “Elitest” it ignores the existing reality which at least on the surface pretends it is a game for the students and fans from all social-economic status.
The Elitest ship sailed long ago--Universities rely heavily on Football to fund other sports & the schollies of the student athletes in them. I think they might hold games under those circumstances, as long as the heat wouldn't be too great. It all depends on what happens in the next several months.

The Elitest ship sailed long ago--Universities rely heavily on Football to fund other sports & the schollies of the student athletes in them. I think they might hold games under those circumstances, as long as the heat wouldn't be too great. It all depends on what happens in the next several months.

Yes, there is reality but optics for a public enterprises are pretty important. So far that reality has been camouflaged by students and middle class riff-raf. Having a televised event viewed by mostly high dollar booster or alumni types is not the optics the NCAA or college Presidents are seeking.

Yes, there is reality but optics for a public enterprises are pretty important. So far that reality has been camouflaged by students and middle class riff-raf. Having a televised event viewed by mostly high dollar booster or alumni types is not the optics the NCAA or college Presidents are seeking.
I think it would be viewed by a lot more than boosters & alumni types. & again, I think $ is more important to them than the optics of how they receive said $. They HAVE to have that $.

Ok have a lottery for seats at regular price.

Lets not forget that seating position in FB and tickets at all in MBB are already dependent upon donations above and beyond ticket prices. That shark was hurdled long long ago.

I think it would be viewed by a lot more than boosters & alumni types. & again, I think $ is more important to them than the optics of how they receive said $. They HAVE to have that $.

As sports fans we see it as very critical to the future of intercollegiate athletics. Athletics constitutes about 3% of a major universities’ budget. Presidents and BOT’s are much more preoccupied with preserving the other 97% which in modern times has never been more endangered than it is today. There is no certainty and a major “surge” in mid summer could be a disaster,

Reactions: TMFT
Ok have a lottery for seats at regular price.

Lets not forget that seating position in FB and tickets at all in MBB are already dependent upon donations above and beyond ticket prices. That shark was hurdled long long ago.

In my 30 years in intercollegiate and professional sports I encountered a myriad of challenges, but nothing approaching that we face today. My son receives 50% of his income in the form of bonuses tied to televised college and pro sports in the state on Indiana. He has lost in the high five figures thus far from cancellations and has his second college bound son this fall (hopefully). We have lots of skin in the game,

If students are back on campus this fall, I think games with a small percentage of seats sold is a plausible scenario.

Students or not, there's not a chance that it will be business as usual by September, with tens of thousands of fans sitting/standing shoulder to shoulder.

College coach during in-home recruiting visit: “I am going to make sure your son has every opportunity to take advantage of a first rate college education. His safety is my responsibility. Unless of course there is a pandemic which might require your son to play football in an empty stadium . We need television revenues and we have salaries that we have to pay. Your son may be asked to take one for the team.

Folks, football with crowd restrictions is not going to happen. Or at least it shouldn’t.

I think that’s up to the players. If they want to play and school leaders can make sure they can do it while protecting their personal and the public’s health, why not let them play? So what if the games are televised? There are lots of things still functioning on college campuses without the students present, including education.

If students are back on campus this fall, I think games with a small percentage of seats sold is a plausible scenario.

Students or not, there's not a chance that it will be business as usual by September, with tens of thousands of fans sitting/standing shoulder to shoulder.
I don’t agree that games can be played with a small selection of fans. While fans in the stadium could be adequately spaced, there would be zero way to police what happens in the parking lots without an actual martial law type enforcement. No one is going to want to try to do that.
There will games in be empty stadiums or no games at all.

I think that’s up to the players. If they want to play and school leaders can make sure they can do it while protecting their personal and the public’s health, why not let them play? So what if the games are televised? There are lots of things still functioning on college campuses without the students present, including education.

I seriously doubt any college president will allow football players to play games when students are not allowed on campus. Just will not happen.

Last edited:
In my 30 years in intercollegiate and professional sports I encountered a myriad of challenges, but nothing approaching that we face today. My son receives 50% of his income in the form of bonuses tied to televised college and pro sports in the state on Indiana. He has lost in the high five figures thus far from cancellations and has his second college bound son this fall (hopefully). We have lots of skin in the game,

I have a daughter who's an ICU RN and a wife who's also in the health care system. That's "skin in the game" you freaking pathetic moron...!!!

If a family is about to starve because they now have no money for food that's "skin in the game"...

If you have a family member who's a health care worker, a first responder, or who is hospitalized with COVID19, or is in a nursing home (which is nearly a death sentence these days) that's "skin in the game"...

Taking a financial loss over the short term does not qualify as "skin in the game" (unless you're a completely tone deaf, self absorbed idiot)...

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I have a daughter who's an ICU RN and a wife who's also in the health care system. That's "skin in the game" you freaking pathetic moron...!!!

If a family is about to starve because they now have no money for food that's "skin in the game"...

If you have a family member who's a health care worker, a first responder, or who is hospitalized with COVID19, or is in a nursing home (which is nearly a death sentence these days) that's "skin in the game"...

Taking a financial loss over the short term does not qualify as "skin in the game" (unless you're a completely tone deaf, self absorbed idiot)...
You are really a socially sick guy. My wife is in a nursing home. Has beyen for the last four years. My son’s father in law is a great former IU Rose Bowl assistant coach who along with his wife are dealing with being physically vulnerable and living alone. Who are you to judge others who you know nothing about? As for your sick Purdue crap. I want to win 3 days a year and the other 362 I am an Indiana taxpayer with a bunch of IU friends and family who all appreciate being involved with two great educational institutions that both do things everyday to make our lives better as citizens of the state and this country. God Bless your kids and keep them safe.

I don’t agree that games can be played with a small selection of fans. While fans in the stadium could be adequately spaced, there would be zero way to police what happens in the parking lots without an actual martial law type enforcement. No one is going to want to try to do that.

Texas Tech is contemplating athletic events with fans in attendance, but with a reduction in crowd density. So is MLB.

"The letter [on 4/28 from Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec to students] states that social distancing and safety protocols will be implemented in classrooms, labs, and residence halls. He said the university will recommend protective masks, testing and contact-tracing, and other tools.

'We are developing several ways to reduce the density of groups in our student facilities, large lecture-based classrooms, and our popular campus areas,' Schovanec said. 'These same plans extend to special events, including athletics.'”
https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20200429/texas-tech-aims-to-have-students-back-in-fall-2020

You are really a socially sick guy. My wife is in a nursing home. Has beyen for the last four years. My son’s father in law is a great former IU Rose Bowl assistant coach who along with his wife are dealing with being physically vulnerable and living alone. Who are you to judge others who you know nothing about? As for your sick Purdue crap. I want to win 3 days a year and the other 362 I am an Indiana taxpayer with a bunch of IU friends and family who all appreciate being involved with two great educational institutions that both do things everyday to make our lives better as citizens of the state and this country. God Bless your kids and keep them safe.

If you think a short term financial loss is having "skin in the game" (which you clearly do) then I stand by exactly what I wrote...

Last edited:
Texas Tech is contemplating athletic events with fans in attendance, but with a reduction in crowd density. So is MLB.

"The letter [on 4/28 from Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec to students] states that social distancing and safety protocols will be implemented in classrooms, labs, and residence halls. He said the university will recommend protective masks, testing and contact-tracing, and other tools.

'We are developing several ways to reduce the density of groups in our student facilities, large lecture-based classrooms, and our popular campus areas,' Schovanec said. 'These same plans extend to special events, including athletics.'”
https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20200429/texas-tech-aims-to-have-students-back-in-fall-2020

Alabama is making noises about bringing students back in the fall.

Make take on all this is simple:

If this financially driven reopening kickstarts a 2nd round of this pandemic I hope that the institutions and individuals involved are sued to the greatest extent of the law and those institutions and individuals are bankrupted...

If we as a country don't have the backbone it takes to protect our elderly, our first responders and our healthcare workers and are only worried about our short term financial distress then we deserve the Worst... (in my opinion)...

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
If you think a short term financial loss is having "skin in the game" then I stand by exactly what I wrote...

If losing half your income with one son in college and another hopefully starting in the fall does not qualify as having skin in the game maybe you should tell that to all the people whose livelihood is threatened, through no fault of their own, by the Coronavirus. Or tell it to the athletic department employees at many schools who have been furloughed, laid off or have sacrificed significant compensation already.

If you think a short term financial loss is having "skin in the game" then I stand by exactly what I wrote...
I don't have a dog in this particular hunt, but just about everyone has skin in the game to varying degrees.

If des's kid has his income cut in half for like 2 years, that could be financially devastating. People lose their homes with that kind of pay cut.

Is it the same as your wife potentially getting seriously ill working in the ICU, I'd say objectively not, but it's not nothing.

This shouldn't be a competition about who stands to lose more from the virus. This whole discussion is the reason that being an elected official right now is a pretty crappy job. They have to balance lives with the economic impact on lives.

If losing half your income with one son in college and another hopefully starting in the fall does not qualify as having skin in the game maybe you should tell that to all the people whose livelihood is threatened, through no fault of their own, by the Coronavirus. Or tell it to the athletic department employees at many schools who have been furloughed, laid off or have sacrificed significant compensation already.

Like I said, if you think financial loss compares to the risk my family (or the rest of the healthcare/ first responder community) is taking you are a freaking moron...

Last edited:
We are speculating way too early as things change quickly. There are a number of colleges now planning on students being on campus this fall and my guess is more and more will come out with this plan. If students are on campus their will be fans in the stands this fall.

One has little to do with the other. Daniels has given national interviews this week saying students would be back @ Purdue in the fall.... while at the same time saying football is very unlikely to happen.

Alabama is making noises about bringing students back in the fall.

Make take on all this is simple:

If this financially driven reopening kickstarts a 2nd round of this pandemic I hope that the institutions and individuals involved are sued to the greatest extent of the law and those institutions and individuals are bankrupted...

If we as a country don't have the backbone it takes to protect our elderly, our first responders and our healthcare workers and are only worried about our short term financial distress than we deserve the Worst... (in my opinion)...
So is the North Carolina state university system.

I don't know whether reopening campuses in the Fall is prudent or not, and I'm not taking a position on it. There are a ton of variables and August is still three months away. But if new Covid hospitalizations and deaths continue trending down, there's going to be a growing call for campus reopenings. And if campuses do, in fact, reopen, I would love to see football with reasonable protections and sensible crowd reduction measures in place. It that meant no tailgating for the season, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The Super Bowl hasn't allowed tailgating in years, and it doesn't require the imposition of martial law to implement the ban. Lol.

I don't have a dog in this particular hunt, but just about everyone has skin in the game to varying degrees.

If des's kid has his income cut in half for like 2 years, that could be financially devastating. People lose their homes with that kind of pay cut.

Is it the same as your wife potentially getting seriously ill working in the ICU, I'd say objectively not, but it's not nothing.

This shouldn't be a competition about who stands to lose more from the virus. This whole discussion is the reason that being an elected official right now is a pretty crappy job. They have to balance lives with the economic impact on lives.

If you believe that someone's financial distress (short of their becoming starving and homeless) is even ultra minutely close to the high risk of my wife or daughter (or that of any healthcare worker or first responder) contracting COVID19 and a potentially resulting horrible death..., than you're just as completely clueless as that phony ("only 3 days a year" DWS) dstew.....

I feel very confident we begin seeing economies start to open up in May and in June things really begin releasing as long as we are not seeing some astronomical rise in cases. China, albeit not 100% accurate in their numbers, is open and added what, 4 new cases yesterday? There were probably thousands of cases of the normal influenza yesterday alone in China. So as long as we take the disease seriously in that we put new standards in place (masks, temperatures at doors, sanitizer always readily available...etc.), I think we can open things back up. We will not eliminate it so we have to slowly determine how to live with it. Sports will be a part of that and I do expect them to play this fall. I can't fathom it will be with large crowds.

So to answer the original question, I think IU does benefit from having a road game at OSU resemble a road game at IU. It would probably be weird for OSU players playing in an empty stadium.

If you believe that someone's financial distress (short of their becoming starving and homeless) is even ultra minutely close to the high risk of my wife or daughter (or that of any healthcare worker or first responder) contracting COVID19 and a potentially resulting horrible death..., than you're just as completely clueless as that phony ("only 3 days a year" DWS) dstew.....

We saw financial distress play out about a decade ago. Lots of people DID lose homes, lots of people lost retirement savings, and by extension, lost of people died.

Again, it's objectively NOT the same risk your wife & daughter are currently facing. But to call people clueless or whatever for recognizing that it's not a simple decision on how to run the country is not productive.

Thanks to your wife & daughter from my basement work zone.

So is the North Carolina state university system.

I don't know whether reopening campuses in the Fall is prudent or not, and I'm not taking a position on it. There are a ton of variables and August is still three months away. But if new Covid hospitalizations and deaths continue trending down, there's going to be a growing call for campus reopenings. And if campuses do, in fact, reopen, I would love to see football with reasonable protections and sensible crowd reduction measures in place. It that meant no tailgating for the season, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The Super Bowl hasn't allowed tailgating in years, and it doesn't require the imposition of martial law to implement the ban. Lol.
The Super Bowl has a massive amount of fan activities to replace tailgating, all of which involve large crowds of people.
I don’t know what’s going to happen either but the enforcement of social distancing in a large sporting event setting will/would be prohibitive just to play games in front of a handful of people. Schools would lose money just paying for security with 10% of the ticket revenue. What is your proposal for preventing large groups of students from walking into the grass lots with coolers full of beer and partying?

Whatever they do they will criticized. There are two wars going on right now...the pandemic and the political. The latter restricting progress in the former.

We shall see. My proposal makes sense.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT