ADVERTISEMENT

Players from other B10 programs, you'd have liked to see in candy stripes:

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Thought this was a worthy discussion topic as it's own thread.

So here's what I got, feel free to post yours:

PU - Brian Cardinal (HM: Mount, Big Dog and JBC) Mount before my time. Yes, I think all 3 HMs were better players than BC.... I just like how he played and I think RMK would've loved him.
OSU -Jim Jackson (HM: C Kellogg, H Williams, M Redd, D Hopson, Hondo, J Lucas) last 2 before my time... I'm saying OSU has the 2nd best bball tradition/players in the B10
MSU - Magic (HM Skiles, Steve Smith, Cleaves)
IL - Nick Anderson (HM: K Gill, D Brown)
WI - Michael Finley
NW - Shon Morris (HM Bryant McIntosh, Eschmeyer)
MN -McHale (HM: Mychael Thompson)
UM - G Rice (HM: Rudy T, C Web)
PSU - C Booth
IA - R Marble (HM: Garza, BJ Armstrong)

still not B10 to me: MD, Rutgers, NB.. and most of their best players never played in the Big. I'd love for the kid from Rutgers currently to be playing for us now, Geo Baker

forget anyone?

Reactions: Fritz1
Cory Bradford
Aaron Craft
Glenn Rice
Michael Finley
Walker Lambiotte
Melvin McCants
Manny Harris
Quincy Lewis
Deon Thomas
Kalin Lucas
Jared Sullinger
Kenny Battle
Roy Marble
Shawn Respert

Cory Bradford
Aaron Craft
Glenn Rice
Michael Finley
Walker Lambiotte
Melvin McCants
Manny Harris
Quincy Lewis
Deon Thomas
Kalin Lucas
Jared Sullinger
Kenny Battle
Roy Marble
Shawn Respert

Try trimming it to 1 per school. Makes it tough.

Brian Cardinal. I really enjoyed watching him play , but hated that he played for PU. He was like Dane Fife , in that he was a player who just worked his tail off the whole game to help his team win. He has a place on Lake James , and I saw him at the local meijers . I didn’t realize just how big he was. Wish he had played for IU , then I would have had to favorite players , him and Dane.

Reactions: kkott
Brian Cardinal. I really enjoyed watching him play , but hated that he played for PU. He was like Dane Fife , in that he was a player who just worked his tail off the whole game to help his team win. He has a place on Lake James , and I saw him at the local meijers . I didn’t realize just how big he was. Wish he had played for IU , then I would have had to favorite players , him and Dane.
Yeah, He was a worker and a scrapper, and fun to watch. I've had many say he was dirty, but I didn't think so, just played hard and was physical. How I felt like I played and hoped my teammates and others thought of me.

PS. I was up on Lake James with my old GF's family and saw Cardinals house. I think her brother said he has a court inside. Looked like he was out on the deck with family and friends when we were there.

He would’ve played for IU in a heartbeat had BK shown any interest in him. There was outreach from BC, but never uptake from IU.

Cazzie Russell, Kevin McHale, Magic, Mike Conley, Jr. . . .

. . . and not in the Big 10, but I'd have loved to see Wayman Tisdale at IU . . . can you imagine him in the School of Music, playing bass guitar, while also playing bball for RMK? He might've given up bball to play music with Dave Baker . . . .

A shame if true. Seems like a BK type of player.
He would’ve been. BK just didn’t think he was a Big 10 level player and, in fairness, nobody else did, either (other than Keady). Knight would’ve loved him, and he would’ve been great. Brad Miller wanted to come to IU, too, and would’ve been another kid who did well. Anyone who played for GK could’ve played for BK.

Reactions: ulrey
I’d like to hear from anyone that knows players IU almost had as commits, or missed out on by pure chance. I like reading about those players and thinking about the what if’s.

Reactions: Falky22
Cory Bradford
Aaron Craft
Glenn Rice
Michael Finley
Walker Lambiotte
Melvin McCants
Manny Harris
Quincy Lewis
Deon Thomas
Kalin Lucas
Jared Sullinger
Kenny Battle
Roy Marble
Shawn Respert

Dude **** Aaron Craft. You really want that mouth breathing freak playing for IUBB? Why because he’s white?

I’d like to hear from anyone that knows players IU almost had as commits, or missed out on by pure chance. I like reading about those players and thinking about the what if’s.
Sergio McClain was ready to commit until Marcus Griffin said he’d never play for BK. Wayne (Sergio’s dad) already had a drawer full of IU stuff. Then MG ended up at a JC for two years. SM at IU probably would’ve meant Frankie Williams at IU, too.

Thought this was a worthy discussion topic as it's own thread.

So here's what I got, feel free to post yours:

PU - Brian Cardinal (HM: Mount, Big Dog and JBC) Mount before my time. Yes, I think all 3 HMs were better players than BC.... I just like how he played and I think RMK would've loved him.
OSU -Jim Jackson (HM: C Kellogg, H Williams, M Redd, D Hopson, Hondo, J Lucas) last 2 before my time... I'm saying OSU has the 2nd best bball tradition/players in the B10
WI - Michael Finley
PSU - C Booth

still not B10 to me: MD, Rutgers, NB.. and most of their best players never played in the Big. I'd love for the kid from Rutgers currently to be playing for us now, Geo Baker

forget anyone?
I used to have dreams that Jimmy Jackson was on the Hoosiers.

Scott skiles out of Plymouth In. Had a temper but fiesty as hell. Saw him throw a baseball bat that got stuck in the sc

Scott skiles out of Plymouth In. Had a temper but fiesty as hell. Saw him throw a baseball bat that got stuck in the sc
giphy.gif

OSU: Jim Jackson
Purdue: No one
Mich: Glen Rice
MSU: Magic
ILL: Kenny Battle
NU: No one
Wisc: Corey Blackwell
Minn: Trent Tucker
And my all time favorite player non IU division, Iowa's Ronnie Lester.

WI - Michael Finley
PSU - C Booth
forget anyone?

Here's a few off the top of my head....... (glad you had Michael Thompson, he was a stud)

Joe Barry Carroll (PU)
Cazzie Russell (UM)
Derek Harper (IL)
B. J. Armstrong (IA)

WI - Michael Finley
PSU - C Booth
forget anyone?

Here's a few off the top of my head....... (glad you had Michael Thompson, he was a stud)

Joe Barry Carroll (PU)
Cazzie Russell (UM)
Derek Harper (IL)
B. J. Armstrong (IA)
For UM I would add Juwan Howard. Now for OSU I will throw a name out there and see what others think.....Jay Buras.Did I get the name right? He was a 5'9" kid who had a lot of spunk.

For UM I would add Juwan Howard. Now for OSU I will throw a name out there and see what others think.....Jay Buras.Did I get the name right? He was a 5'9" kid who had a lot of spunk.
Burson, kid broke his neck and had to wear a halo for a while

I see there are no takers for one Chris Kramer?

Or as I like to call him: Chrissy Kramer.

I actually liked Kramer as a player. Tough and physical... not a shooter, but I like players that still find ways to help their teams win (like a Reynolds, Eyl or Meeks), and imo, Kramer did that. Never want to hear a players parents heckling from the stands though and he wasn't nearly on the level of the players I mentioned. Tough kid though.

Last edited:
Brian would have been throttled back, particularly with the elbows and would not have stayed. Never would have been a good match and Knight knew it.

I don't think so, think he was very much a RMK type player with his hustle. I also don't remember Cardinal as dirty, just very aggressive and get after it. That type of player generally frustrates opponents and fans, but doesn't necessarily mean they are dirty. Iowa had a guy that I did think was dirty. Can't remember if it was Settles or someone else. To me dirty is a guy who makes a play that isn't on the ball or strategic, that could injure an opponent intentional or otherwise... but generally intentional. I never thought of Cardinal like that, he was just always in the thick of it. Sort of like Dane Fife maybe.

I don't think so, think he was very much a RMK type player with his hustle. I also don't remember Cardinal as dirty, just very aggressive and get after it. That type of player generally frustrates opponents and fans, but doesn't necessarily mean they are dirty. Iowa had a guy that I did think was dirty. Can't remember if it was Settles or someone else. To me dirty is a guy who makes a play that isn't on the ball or strategic, that could injure an opponent intentional or otherwise... but generally intentional. I never thought of Cardinal like that, he was just always in the thick of it. Sort of like Dane Fife maybe.
You can easily tell who never watched RMK coached teams if anyone thinks BK would’ve dialed Cardinal back. Not a chance.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
Cazzie Russell, Kevin McHale, Magic, Mike Conley, Jr. . . .

. . . and not in the Big 10, but I'd have loved to see Wayman Tisdale at IU . . . can you imagine him in the School of Music, playing bass guitar, while also playing bball for RMK? He might've given up bball to play music with Dave Baker . . . .
Interesting, why'd you pick Conley and not Oden?

BK would not have allowed the elbows as weapons mindset. BK had intense players who on occasion did dumb like Fife bite and Lewis Jaacks facial but they weren't part of the act over time so no I would not think that he would be free to swing and he might not have done well at Indiana. But as a hypothetical...who knows.

BK would not have allowed the elbows as weapons mindset. BK had intense players who on occasion did dumb like Fife bite and Lewis Jaacks facial but they weren't part of the act over time so no I would not think that he would be free to swing and he might not have done well at Indiana. But as a hypothetical...who knows.
well, again, your recollection of BC as a player and mine, are different. Had he come to IU, I have a feeling you'd be putting him in that "intense player who occassionally did dumb things" category.

Reactions: JIMSHAM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT