ADVERTISEMENT

Play Green

If fans don’t know the pattern with Green by now, they haven’t been watching closely.
He plays a good game and then it’s time to hibernate for several weeks.
He’ll have his next good game in mid February. Then he’ll go sleepy time for another stretch and then wake up just in time for the NIT run.

Reactions: ufo33
I saw him at 0-4...
Maybe had we given him 3 more shots we'd have won...

Shooters need to shoot...
Green was off last night.
0, 0, 0
Terrible!
Start Green and play Green every game? Why?
Playing Green when he is off that night and letting Green shoot is like you keep buying more lottery tickets and just keep losing. Just one more time!

Last edited:
If fans don’t know the pattern with Green by now, they haven’t been watching closely.
He plays a good game and then it’s time to hibernate for several weeks.
He’ll have his next good game in mid February. Then he’ll go sleepy time for another stretch and then wake up just in time for the NIT run.
Another bad game by Green.
Green did not not play at the end of another IU win. A new pattern for winning, no Green on the floor at the end of the game.

Last edited:
With 4 guards, Green will have to play. He will have a chance to earn bonus minutes when or if he plays well. All the guards need to improve in these last 13 games. It is hard trying to predict who is going to play well

With 4 guards, Green will have to play. He will have a chance to earn bonus minutes when or if he plays well. All the guards need to improve in these last 13 games. It is hard trying to predict who is going to play well
Green will have to come off the bench.
If he is not on that game his minutes should limited.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Another bad game by Green.
Green did not not play at the end of another IU win. A new pattern for winning, no Green on the floor at the end of the game.
I told a. buddy of mine when he drooped that 30 it probably will hurt us. Pistol Pete he is not.

Green will have to come off the bench.
If he is not on that game his minutes should limited.
If I am not mistaken, Franklin has been in the late stages of the last two games instead of Green. I would expect a team captain would notice that and serve as a wake up call for him. Foul trouble with one of our guards will make it necessary for him to play. It is his opportunity to make better decisions.

He is at a point in his career that Archie is wasting his time addressing what Green and all senior guards have been told for 3 1/2 years. If he doesn't know why he is sitting, he is too dumb to play. If he doesn't self-correct, he is too dumb to play. At least he is still ahead of the walk on players although I wouldn't mind seeing Bybee in the game instead of Green.

Reactions: ufo33

If Phinisee was 100% you could kick DG to the curb. I'd be all for that.

With Phin at 65%. you have to play him. I get the love for Franklin....I like his attitude, but he's not ready to play extended minutes in BT play.

Here's DG v. Franklin v. Al v. RP in conference averages per every 40 minutes played:

DG: 38% on 2s, 31% on 3s, .70 FTs, 16.4 pts/6.7 rebs/3.8 assists/2.3 TOs

AF: 26% on 2s, 12% on 3s, 33% on FTs, 7.6 pts/3.6 rebs/3.6 assists/3.2 TOs

AD: 26% on 2s, 35% on 3s, 84% on FTs, 15.8 pts/3.1 rebs/2.9 assists/3.7 TOs

RP: 42% on 2s, 33 on 3s, 67 on FTs, 11.9 pts/4.8 rebs/3.4 assists/3.4 TOs

So............DGs TOs per 40M are less the the others, Al's are the highest...DG's assist per 40 are the highest.......DG's rebs are the highest......Al, who has always been a poor rebounder, lowest. Al's assists/TOs are negative, Phins 1:1.

I don't like it. I feel that DG should have been encouraged to go elsewhere 2 years ago. But it is what it is.

If Phinisee was 100% you could kick DG to the curb. I'd be all for that.

With Phin at 65%. you have to play him. I get the love for Franklin....I like his attitude, but he's not ready to play extended minutes in BT play.

Here's DG v. Franklin v. Al v. RP in conference averages per every 40 minutes played:

DG: 38% on 2s, 31% on 3s, .70 FTs, 16.4 pts/6.7 rebs/3.8 assists/2.3 TOs

AF: 26% on 2s, 12% on 3s, 33% on FTs, 7.6 pts/3.6 rebs/3.6 assists/3.2 TOs

AD: 26% on 2s, 35% on 3s, 84% on FTs, 15.8 pts/3.1 rebs/2.9 assists/3.7 TOs

RP: 42% on 2s, 33 on 3s, 67 on FTs, 11.9 pts/4.8 rebs/3.4 assists/3.4 TOs

So............DGs TOs per 40M are less the the others, Al's are the highest...DG's assist per 40 are the highest.......DG's rebs are the highest......Al, who has always been a poor rebounder, lowest. Al's assists/TOs are negative, Phins 1:1.

I don't like it. I feel that DG should have been encouraged to go elsewhere 2 years ago. But it is what it is.
Is there a metric for dumb or ill timed shots vs.clock?

Reactions: Spartans9312
Have to take the good with the bad with Green.

He's the only guard who can really create his own shot and the one player I have that has the ability to take a game over (see FSU, Ohio State last year).

I do believe Archie has done a decent job this year, especially the last few games of managing him based on his play, but cutting him out of the rotation completely isn't feasible.

As I've maintained, this team will go as far as Green can take them.

He's the only guard who can really create his own shot and the one player I have that has the ability to take a game over (see FSU, Ohio State last year).

I do believe Archie has done a decent job this year, especially the last few games of managing him based on his play, but cutting him out of the rotation completely isn't feasible.

I thinkt hey have moved on from reliance on Green especially if Hunter keeps building on his shooting. Green will still get opportunities Arch has seemingly moved to having him on a short rope.

The core of the team is now:

Brunk
TJD
Smith
Al
Phin
Franklin
Hunter
Race
Damezi??

If they get some consistent perimeter shooting they may be heading for the NCAA this season as ugly as it has been. Green looks like he will be coming off the bench for now and maybe the rest of the year but he can certainly be a big part of the perimeter game. Same with DeRon. He can finish out his career off the bench.

Unless someone transfers or leave to be a pro, that entire core is back neext yeaar. Damezi?? Don't know but I could see all those players improving their game over the summer.

Maybe this team goes into total meltdown but it could be Arch has a team that is headed to the NCAA with all it's core coming back for 20-21 along 3 wing recruits. If so and he does a nice job in 2021 recruiting to replace Brunk, Smith and Al, could it be said the program is on track.

"Bad Green" slams the brakes on progress of this IU team when he is playing poorly.
This IU team will go as far as Phinisee and TJD takes them, not Green.
IU can't wait 5 or 10 games until "Good Green" gets his game together again and plays better.
Green creating his own shot usually means he creates a very low % shot for himself. Jay Edwards he is not. IU is much better off creating a higher percentage shot off of a good pass rather than Green attempring to create a one-on-one Rucker Park off balance prayer shot that sometimes goes in, but most of the time is a hopeless brick.
IU would be better served to throw it inside to TJD or Brunk to create a post shot or get fouled for a good free throw opportunity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT