ADVERTISEMENT

Phinisee - X Factor

I had no doubt how important he was early in the year. He will have a similar career as Yogi.
Wow, that's high praise. It's possible, but he doesn't have to have a similar career as Yogi to still be an all-timer. I do think Phin is a better scorer than what we've seen so far though.

I saw his mental toughness in I think it was the NW game where he had been off all night yet stepped up and hit a big 3 that we desperately needed. It was before the butler game and I knew.then that this was going to be a special kid and can't wait to see how the rest if his career unfolds

Reactions: nitro1947
And people try to tell you Phin being out or playing limited minutes (along w/ Deron) had NO impact on our struggles.
Good point. The impact of Davis being healthy has been clear. It was assumed that Phinisee came back 100% ready to go. We look back and see it took him time to get back to his pre-injury form.

Other than illness that seems to affect a different person every game, we seem to be healthy at the right time. We have the 8-9 player rotation we wanted all year that doesn't depend on Anderson, Forrester and Moore. We can also leave McBob and Fitzner on the bench although they can come in with foul trouble/

Good point. The impact of Davis being healthy has been clear. It was assumed that Phinisee came back 100% ready to go. We look back and see it took him time to get back to his pre-injury form.

Other than illness that seems to affect a different person every game, we seem to be healthy at the right time. We have the 8-9 player rotation we wanted all year that doesn't depend on Anderson, Forrester and Moore. We can also leave McBob and Fitzner on the bench although they can come in with foul trouble/
I like that situational option of Fitz and McBob rather than HAVING to play them. Both can serve a purpose like Fitz at Iowa, but relying on them is a different story.

Reactions: BigMobe

Having these two close to 100% has made an enormous impact.

This team already had a lack of shooters. You can compensate to make up for that - but to lose 2 guys who play a critical part of your defense (Rob out front; De'Ron down low) makes others have to step into roles they're not ready for, to be expected to perform at a high level for extended minutes.

I like that situational option of Fitz and McBob rather than HAVING to play them. Both can serve a purpose like Fitz at Iowa, but relying on them is a different story.
Looking back at the first game against Illinois, it shows how limited we were. Our starters were Romeo, Green, Durham, Smith and Morgan. Our bench players were Anderson, Fitzner, Davis and McBob. I remember Davis either got hurt or could not play more than 5 minutes but scored 5 points in those 5 minutes.

Having Davis and Phinisee healthy and potentially starting with Green, Smith and Thompson available off the bench is such a major improvement for the Illinois game and beyond.

Looking back at the first game against Illinois, it shows how limited we were. Our starters were Romeo, Green, Durham, Smith and Morgan. Our bench players were Anderson, Fitzner, Davis and McBob. I remember Davis either got hurt or could not play more than 5 minutes but scored 5 points in those 5 minutes.

Having Davis and Phinisee healthy and potentially starting with Green, Smith and Thompson available off the bench is such a major improvement for the Illinois game and beyond.

Bullcrap...injured players have no effect on the level of play or the sub rotations.

signed, Feepie

The chances of that are slim.

You're probably wrong, again.

If you read the story, RP's #s, when healthy, have been nearly identical to YF's as a freshman.

Your main point seems to be that RP won't score 17/game next year. You're probably right, but he'll probably shoot a higher % (.413 for Yogi as a soph), get more rebounds (3.0 for Yogi), have as many or more assists (3.5), and fewer TOs(2.6 for Yogi)(Yogi wasn't really, really good, imo, until he was a junior) And play better defense. So he will probably have a different career, but with as much impact.

RP will not be a 40%/83% career shooter on 3s & FTs like RP, but RP will make up for it in other respects.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil

If you read the story, RP's #s, when healthy, have been nearly identical to YF's as a freshman.

Your main point seems to be that RP won't score 17/game next year. You're probably right, but he'll probably shoot a higher % (.413 for Yogi as a soph), get more rebounds (3.0 for Yogi), have as many or more assists (3.5), and fewer TOs(2.6 for Yogi)(Yogi wasn't really, really good, imo, until he was a junior) And play better defense. So he will probably have a different career, but with as much impact.

RP will not be a 40%/83% career shooter on 3s & FTs like RP, but RP will make up for it in other respects.

I'll take that bet.

We do agree on this. I like Phin, a lot, but Yogi was a great college basketball player.
Not as explosive but probably a better defensive player and shooter at the same age, and less risky with the ball. I like Phinisee's game.

Reactions: wchew200
Not as explosive but probably a better defensive player and shooter at the same age, and less risky with the ball. I like Phinisee's game.

I agree that Phin is and will be a better defender. He has more size and length. Yogi's 3 point shooting improvement was unreal. He shot 30% his freshmen year and jumped to 40% his sophomore. What was even more impressive was he improved that much, while taking almost 3 times the shots. His freshmen year he made less than one 3 a game. His sophomore year, he made almost three 3s a game.

Maybe he won't match Yogi for offense but he's already a better defender.

Couldn't agree more. Yogi was terribly forgiving on the ball.

Defensive guards like Victor , Fife, or Chris Reynolds, they do so much for a team in terms of winning. Had Sherron Wilkerson not messed up his future, he may have been in that category too.

I am hopeful that Armaan Franklin can add a lot defensively next year. We will see.

Yogi’s senior year may be hard to replicate, but no reason Phinisee can’t be on par with the other years and be a 2x all big ten guard.

I like RP a lot, and feel like he could at least be close to what Yogi did. But my real question, is do you all really believe RP will stick around for four years? IMO, I have my doubts.

I like RP a lot, and feel like he could at least be close to what Yogi did. But my real question, is do you all really believe RP will stick around for four years? IMO, I have my doubts.
Where would he go?

And people try to tell you Phin being out or playing limited minutes (along w/ Deron) had NO impact on our struggles.
He’s played in 26 of 29 games this year. Started 23 of them. His couple week injury is not the reason we’re 6-12 in the Big Ten.

I agree that Phin is and will be a better defender. He has more size and length. Yogi's 3 point shooting improvement was unreal. He shot 30% his freshmen year and jumped to 40% his sophomore. What was even more impressive was he improved that much, while taking almost 3 times the shots. His freshmen year he made less than one 3 a game. His sophomore year, he made almost three 3s a game.

No doubt YF was a heck of a shooter....40% career on 3s, 83% on FTs. I thought, however, he was somewhat selfish with the ball until sometime in his JR year. It just seemed he really kicked into gear as a pg sometime during his JR year. I agree he was very, very good his SR year.

No doubt YF was a heck of a shooter....40% career on 3s, 83% on FTs. I thought, however, he was somewhat selfish with the ball until sometime in his JR year. It just seemed he really kicked into gear as a pg sometime during his JR year. I agree he was very, very good his SR year.
Was Yogi selfish because he had to be? (Man, I’m getting old. Have watched nearly 40 years of IU, sometimes we think we remember things. I just don’t remember it that way.)

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
He’s played in 26 of 29 games this year. Started 23 of them. His couple week injury is not the reason we’re 6-12 in the Big Ten.

The kid is shooting 36% from the field and averaging 6 points a game and people think he is going to be as good as Yogi:rolleyes:

i think rob will be a 40% 3 pt shooter

The lone reason? No, it isn't. It is, however, one of several reasons. And even thigh her he only missed a few games, it took him a while after the concussion to start playing like he had before it. This also contributed to the losses.

I think never seeing Hunter this year and Anderson not being ready hurt the most during injuries. Had Hunter been healthy and Anderson been what we thought he was as a shooter that could play average minutes … that changes a lot in the close ones we have seen while injured

Your response tells me two things:

1) You’ve never played competitive basketball before.

2)You’ve never had a concussion.

Read the article from the OP again. Phin has just now gotten back to what he was pre-concussion. If you can’t understand the impact of that, that’s a you problem.

Reactions: ufo33 and BigMobe
The kid is shooting 36% from the field and averaging 6 points a game and people think he is going to be as good as Yogi:rolleyes:

Yea, I do think he is going to be as good as Yogi.
IMO, he is better than Yogi right now on the defensive end.

Reactions: ufo33
Your response tells me two things:

1) You’ve never played competitive basketball before.

2)You’ve never had a concussion.

Read the article from the OP again. Phin has just now gotten back to what he was pre-concussion. If you can’t understand the impact of that, that’s a you problem.
****peaugh obviously never played sports outside of last week on a PS4 in his moms basement. WTF are talking about?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT