ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Niekro Dies

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007

I always liked the guy and this is maybe my favorite moment of his career. "There's nothing in my pocket"

Reactions: largemouth
When Joe dies everybody should spit on his coffin, not in disrespect but to honor him. With K.C. Jones dying and now Phil it really does make you think about how short life is. It goes by pretty fast.

Even shorter than you think.

Joe died in 2006.......

I miss knuckleballers. Tim Wakefield was must watch TV.
I got a British friend to watch Wakefield through a playoff game with me and explained to him how a knuckleballer "fooled" batters, and how unpredictable a pitch it was. I bet I got 100 texts from him over the next few years when he'd be watching Wake pitch. He was mesmerized. If it's not been a 30 for 30, knuckleballers would make a great one.

45 year old Charlie Hough threw the first pitch, I assume a knuckleball, in Marlins history I believe. I can still remember watching that moment as a 9 year old and thinking that guy could be my grandpa.

Are you sure? Better fact check it. He never was a straight shooter.

sPwgpLj.gif

I remember that clip. My fading memory had the pitcher being Gaylord Perry.
I remember Perry best for swiping Brett's pine tar bat and getting a clubhouse kid to hide it. He was in his 40s at that point.

Didn't he get busted for having vaseline on the brim of his hat?

I remember Perry best for swiping Brett's pine tar bat and getting a clubhouse kid to hide it. He was in his 40s at that point.

Didn't he get busted for having vaseline on the brim of his hat?
I don't remember if he ever got caught in the act or not. Watching him make Reggie Jackson go ballistic was beautiful.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I don't remember if he ever got caught in the act or not. Watching him make Reggie Jackson go ballistic was beautiful.
The yanks hated him and the best part about that was that they got him in a trade and then the pine tar game was against them too.

Bob Uecker, the long time Broadcaster for the Brewers, started his Baseball Career with the Braves and caught several Knuckleballers including Niekro, was asked how he caught a Knuckleball. His reply; "I just chase it back to the backstop and pick it up when it stops rolling."

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT