ADVERTISEMENT

Peyton Ramsey, great game yesterday!!

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
I just need to give Peyton a shout out because I think yesterday was probably his best day in a Hoosier uniform. He had several deep balls that he completed that frankly, I did not know he could do that. His arm looked more alive and stronger than I've ever seen.

If this is the guy we get going forward, he could certainly be good enough to guide us to a Bucket win. Hell, I think he could actually start next season if he shows those deep balls consistently going forward. That was my knock on him, I was shocked.

I just need to give Peyton a shout out because I think yesterday was probably his best day in a Hoosier uniform. He had several deep balls that he completed that frankly, I did not know he could do that. His arm looked more alive and stronger than I've ever seen.

If this is the guy we get going forward, he could certainly be good enough to guide us to a Bucket win. Hell, I think he could actually start next season if he shows those deep balls consistently going forward. That was my knock on him, I was shocked.

I’d prefer to focus only on the next two games hoping IU gets at least one and we go bowling.

I like/respect Ramsey and don’t want to trash him in any way. But I believe Penis arm is too hard to pass up next year and Ramsey would be a phenomenal back up to have at the ready.

But I am 100% Ramsey right now and just this season remaining- get to six!

As for "Penix"...I don't know...his recovery will factor in slowing him down in the learning curve. And Ramsey...only being a soph hasn't shown us his best yet. Fate is funny...not ha ha but a little funny sometimes...and I will wait and see who exits spring ball the starter. I'm betting it's Ramsey...but its a friendly bet...vbg...anything can happen. Ramsey hasn't gotten out this season without injury yet...knock knock

I’d prefer to focus only on the next two games hoping IU gets at least one and we go bowling.

I like/respect Ramsey and don’t want to trash him in any way. But I believe Penis arm is too hard to pass up next year and Ramsey would be a phenomenal back up to have at the ready.

But I am 100% Ramsey right now and just this season remaining- get to six!

Peyton had at least 4 balls thrown under duress yesterday he got to our WRs and they flat out dropped them. 3 of them to the TE who we always complain we don’t throw to. Well....we did and Peyton did his part. I was very disappointed in him in the Minny game but not last night.

First, the dang autocorrect and I don’t re-read every word re: Penix.

I was not down on Ramsey in my posts, I just feel Penix is a bigger time talent at the end of the day.

It’s like asking: was Alex Smith a good QB for the Chiefs? Of course. But Andy Reid felt Mahomes would give them a better chance to win and traded Smith to the Redskins. In IU’s case, that’s my analogy: Ramsey is darn good (to me) but I think Penix is a future game changer with a rifle arm. And since we don’t trade QBs, having Ramsey at the ready as back up would be a fantastic luxury.

The infatuation with the backup is something I always find fascinating...

It's as though many truly believe that any coaching staff anywhere would ever make a choice that would give them a better chance of losing games and speeding up the chances of losing their jobs...

Its really a silly exercise if you give it any kind of thought...

Oh..., and I second the original post topic:
Congrats PR...!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: NatHillIV
That sounds nice but Allen put Penix into the PSU game (when there were more than 2 games left in the season for his RS rule). Penix was getting majority of the playing time when he went down with ACL.

Allen hinted at presser he’s been telling DeBord “pass it downfield and be aggressive.). My guess is - just as he pulled Lagow for Ramsey - Allen was ready to see Penix in action and in his short time vs PSU he didn’t disappoint.

My sense is Penix would have gotten the nod the rest of the season based on how he was energizing and opening up the field.

So no, it’s not an infatuation based on no body of work. It’s based on his HS career of like 66 TDS to 7 INTs, being a 4-star FL QB, Allen himself saying the battle in camp was close, Allen putting him in vs PSU (not saved for Rutgers or MN) and most importantly: a live arm that can go Dee seemingly with a flick of the wrist. It reminded me of the lefty at Alabama. (Not saying he’s his equal) but then all flies off his hand with more zip than Ramsey. (Which is not a slam on Ramsey, just a credit to Penix per the Mahomes analogy)

That sounds nice but Allen put Penix into the PSU game (when there were more than 2 games left in the season for his RS rule). Penix was getting majority of the playing time when he went down with ACL.

Allen hinted at presser he’s been telling DeBord “pass it downfield and be aggressive.). My guess is - just as he pulled Lagow for Ramsey - Allen was ready to see Penix in action and in his short time vs PSU he didn’t disappoint.

My sense is Penix would have gotten the nod the rest of the season based on how he was energizing and opening up the field.

So no, it’s not an infatuation based on no body of work. It’s based on his HS career of like 66 TDS to 7 INTs, being a 4-star FL QB, Allen himself saying the battle in camp was close, Allen putting him in vs PSU (not saved for Rutgers or MN) and most importantly: a live arm that can go Dee seemingly with a flick of the wrist. It reminded me of the lefty at Alabama. (Not saying he’s his equal) but then all flies off his hand with more zip than Ramsey. (Which is not a slam on Ramsey, just a credit to Penix per the Mahomes analogy)

There's a lot more to running an offense against a Big Ten Defense then just chucking it deep...

If Ramsey had displayed yesterday's arm strength and downfield ability earlier and consistently throughout the season, my sense is that few of us would have ever called for MP.

Is Debord to blame? It seems that way.

If Ramsey had displayed yesterday's arm strength and downfield ability earlier and consistently throughout the season, my sense is that few of us would have ever called for MP.

Is Debord to blame? It seems that way.

Guess you haven't been watching us play lately... He wasn't getting the type of protection in the other games that he's gotten over the past 5 quarters and he was having to share snaps in practice.

When Ramsey gets a true starters practice reps and Debord gets a decent effort from the Offensive Line our Offense can look pretty good at times...

Not to mention our receivers drops don't exactly help to inspire confidence in calling passes...

Reactions: MrBing
There's a lot more to running an offense against a Big Ten Defense then just chucking it deep...
There's a lot more to analysis than your post. If you disagree fine. We'll see next year as Penix won't be back until the summer/fall camp.

Until then, I hope Ramsey crushes it from here on out.

There's a lot more to analysis than your post. If you disagree fine. We'll see next year as Penix won't be back until the summer/fall camp.

Until then, I hope Ramsey crushes it from here on out.

You're correct and that analysis is made by paid professionals whose very jobs depend on making those decisions correctly.

It has always amazed me that people on a fan board are certain that they know more than the coaches who have a lot more than their egos invested in making the correct analysis in deciding who gives them the best shot at winning.

Simple logic would suggest to most that those professionals who spend two thirds of the year watching and working with the players would have a better grasp of who gives them a better chance of winning...

You are correct: there's a Lot More to analysis than my post..., or yours for that matter...

No offense intended but I cant buy that. Ramsey is the clear starter due to experience and talent, a combo Penix did not beat out. Allen said clearly he wanted to redshirt Penix...the PSU game was his 3rd game and I didn't think he looked as good as you imply. Not bad but sustained playing may have exposed problems. No way to know now.

Whoever starts next year will be interesting but again, I think Ramsey might still come out of camp the as the starter, with Penix close behind. Then the season will play out however...both will play imo.

On a related note. I was happy to see us throw downfield a bit more.

Reactions: Flooded Timber
Guess you haven't been watching us play lately... He wasn't getting the type of protection in the other games that he's gotten over the past 5 quarters and he was having to share snaps in practice.

When Ramsey gets a true starters practice reps and Debord gets a decent effort from the Offensive Line our Offense can look pretty good at times...

Not to mention our receivers drops don't exactly help to inspire confidence in calling passes...

Allen must not have been watching either, because he said he's been asking for deeper passes all year.

I was very encouraged to hear CTA agree that the 3-5 yard passing game was not effective. I hope it signals a change in the OC next year.

Reactions: coachv jr
No offense intended but I cant buy that. Ramsey is the clear starter due to experience and talent, a combo Penix did not beat out. Allen said clearly he wanted to redshirt Penix...the PSU game was his 3rd game and I didn't think he looked as good as you imply. Not bad but sustained playing may have exposed problems. No way to know now.

Whoever starts next year will be interesting but again, I think Ramsey might still come out of camp the as the starter, with Penix close behind. Then the season will play out however...both will play imo.

Well....I don't know how you can say it wasn't a "try-out" for Penix. He was giving him a majority of the snaps in a very important game and, importantly was playing him in the 2nd half when he got hurt.

What that meant going forward is just guesswork.

Zero need to speculate right now given Penix is out injured and we all want IU to go bowling and hence, for Ramsey to do great in last 2 weeks. So what if people disagree who will get the nod next year, it's many months away now. I love Ramsey's grit, smarts and effort. I simply happen to think we have a KC Chiefs type situation where I think Penix is a future Mahomes, and Ramsey is Alex Smith. Alex Smith starts for the Redskins, so that is not a slam on Ramsey in any way. I simply think Penix is at another level which is partially a god-given thing in life!

But no one wants one more win, ideally Bucket game, to see IU & Coach Allen go bowling, and hoping Ramsey will be injury free and at the helm. (Though I'll also still add, a few packages for Reese Taylor would be a good way to shake things up, throw off defenses.)

Penix did not get the majority of snaps in the PSU game??? Huh? And all he was getting was his third game of four, no more or less. His passes were too hard and off target many times in that game...world beater I'm not seeing...yet.

In fact, I challenge anyone to tell me how much they have seen of Penix at all. You cant go to practice so how would anyone know how well he is actually doing...? I don't get it. Its all hearsay and potential and what???

Ramsey is showing what he has and why he is starting. Penix will have to take the job...no one is going to give it too him and Ramsey is going to get better too.

It looks like Penix is playing from behind. Does he have that much talent that he can take the job from an experienced QB? Don't know and not worried about it...Ramsey can get the job done. If Penix starts its because he is better in all categories...not because he throws a fast ball.

Last edited:
He COULD be a better QB. I THINK he has more innate talent, but don't know that for certain. He has a strong arm and his accuracy needs work but it aint that bad. My complaint is...PR is spilling out his guts and will to get us this far and the back-up gurus are convinced we'd be in Pasadena with Penix. What a load of bunk...he is all potential. If he was a wunderkind...he wouldl have taken the job last summer. He didn't. He will be a good QB one day I am pretty sure, but cant we pause long enough to thank the guy who got us here?

PR is my QB for this season and has been since day one and the backup geniuses started with get Penix in the game. Well they did...in a meaningful moment, and look what happened. I hate to say it, but I cursed him before the game with that potential comment. The kid needs to bulk up...10 lbs at least or he wont make it through any season in the B10. It took Ramsey almost 2 years to be ready for the beatings. Penix will take that long too imo.

But there is nothing wrong here...except an underappreciation of a very tough and talented young man in Peyton Ramsey. Kudos to you...

Last edited:
Reactions: NatHillIV
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT