ADVERTISEMENT

Petty? Pathetic? Pitiful? What say you?

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Trump pulls security clearance of ex-CIA Director John Brennan

https://www.politico.com/story/2018...y-clearance-of-ex-cia-director-brennan-778791

President Donald Trump on Wednesday revoked the security clearance of former CIA Director John Brennan, who has become a harsh critic of the president, and appeared to be targeting others who have disagreed with the administration.
[...]
In addition, Sanders said, the administration is evaluating clearances for former FBI Director James Comey, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden, former national security adviser Susan Rice, former FBI attorney Lisa Page, former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates, former FBI counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok, former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, whose security clearance was deactivated after he was fired earlier this year, and Bruce Ohr, who is still in the Justice Department although he was demoted from associate deputy attorney general.​

https://www.politico.com/story/2018...y-clearance-of-ex-cia-director-brennan-778791

President Donald Trump on Wednesday revoked the security clearance of former CIA Director John Brennan, who has become a harsh critic of the president, and appeared to be targeting others who have disagreed with the administration.
[...]
In addition, Sanders said, the administration is evaluating clearances for former FBI Director James Comey, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden, former national security adviser Susan Rice, former FBI attorney Lisa Page, former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates, former FBI counterintelligence agent Peter Strzok, former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, whose security clearance was deactivated after he was fired earlier this year, and Bruce Ohr, who is still in the Justice Department although he was demoted from associate deputy attorney general.​
Petty and pathetic are good words for that.

[...]

Agree. Brennan is the most petty, pathetic, and pitiful of all former CIA directors. He’s in a class by himself. Anybody who is a paid media shill has no business with special clearance.

Says the person who doesn't like nor voted for Trump...

Here's a big if question. IF Mueller found that Brennan worked with Hillary, Strzork, Comey, ... (et all) to be a Domestic Enemy to our elections, would the country be better off knowing this, or not knowing this?

Here's a big if question. IF Mueller found that Brennan worked with Hillary, Strzork, Comey, ... (et all) to be a Domestic Enemy to our elections, would the country be better off knowing this, or not knowing this?
So you're dreaming about all four (or more) of these people being in some kind of nefarious, treasonous conspiracy?

Cuckoo

So you're dreaming about all four (or more) of these people being in some kind of nefarious, treasonous conspiracy?

Cuckoo

I am not sure how better to phrase it that this was a question. Your answer? ... ohhh here try this
a) best to know
b) best to not know

Says the guy who has no idea about clearances
Ranger, I recall you discussing handling classified information and got the impression that you knew the law and procedure. What about "need to know"? Just because you have a clearance does NOT mean you get access or even get to see classified material. Handling such material must also be a part of your official duties. Mr. Brennan has no official duties for the United States. He's CNN's shill now and CNN and its staff certainly have no "need to know". Did you forget that? Brennan doesn't need any security clearance because he has exactly ZERO "need to know".

He probably ought to be locked up at this moment. Working for CNN seems like a similar punishment.

Ranger, I recall you discussing handling classified information and got the impression that you knew the law and procedure. What about "need to know"? Just because you have a clearance does NOT mean you get access or even get to see classified material. Handling such material must also be a part of your official duties. Mr. Brennan has no official duties for the United States. He's CNN's shill now and CNN and its staff certainly have no "need to know". Did you forget that? Brennan doesn't need any security clearance because he has exactly ZERO "need to know".

He probably ought to be locked up at this moment. Working for CNN seems like a similar punishment.
As I understand it, he had clearance but no access to information. However if someone called him up and said they were working on an issue similar to one he had experienced, he could give advice. That is no longer possible.

Reactions: T.M.P.

I had this question typed out and deleted it. I am looking forward to learning how much more E'ffed our "standard process" works on this..... But maybe we are better to not know.

So what? Brennan is still a putz.
Well fine. But guess what, there are thousands of putzes walking around with security clearances...especially in IT. We still haven’t been able to design classified systems that can be administered and maintained by guys with less need-to-know than is being shared on the system.

Putz status is subjective (I don’t know what makes him a putz), but it is not clearance-killing.

Well fine. But guess what, there are thousands of putzes walking around with security clearances...especially in IT. We still haven’t been able to design classified systems that can be administered and maintained by guys with less need-to-know than is being shared on the system.

Putz status is subjective (I don’t know what makes him a putz), but it is not clearance-killing.

Among the putzes walking around with security clearances is General Flynn.

Oh, and Donald Trump.

Of course, I used to have a TS as a contractor and my job in the army leading a recon and surveillance unit required me to be in SCIFs all the time. I know all about clearances.

You’re right about NTK, but I don’t see how it applies to Brennan as a reason for eliminating his clearance (which is unprecedented). My understanding is that he runs a NATSEC think tank and if OGAs and firms with access and NTK are hiring his services then he has NTK.

I ask you this question, @Ladoga , with sincerity: what is a red line to you for Trump not to cross? To me, this action is dictatorial in nature and is a dumb move, especially for somebody who majors in dumb moves.

As I understand it, he had clearance but no access to information. However if someone called him up and said they were working on an issue similar to one he had experienced, he could give advice. That is no longer possible.
Exactly. There are a lot of situations in which having a security clearance is important. While I have never had a need for one, I recently worked on a deal where I might need to have security clearance if I were asked to do any follow-on work on the matter as it involves defense-related technology and potential patent work. I believe one of my colleagues has a security clearance, as do other patent attorneys.

Of course, I used to have a TS as a contractor and my job in the army leading a recon and surveillance unit required me to be in SCIFs all the time. I know all about clearances.

You’re right about NTK, but I don’t see how it applies to Brennan as a reason for eliminating his clearance (which is unprecedented). My understanding is that he runs a NATSEC think tank and if OGAs and firms with access and NTK are hiring his services then he has NTK.

I ask you this question, @Ladoga , with sincerity: what is a red line to you for Trump not to cross? To me, this action is dictatorial in nature and is a dumb move, especially for somebody who majors in dumb moves.
Just having the clearance doesn’t allow access because that’s on a need to know basis. Not allowing access is not unusual. Revoking clearance like this is unusual. If it has been done, it certainly wasn’t done so publicly. I still have a Top Secret clearance myself, but I only see stuff on a need to know basis. Frankly, that’s not very often.

Reactions: MrBing and twenty02
Just having the clearance doesn’t allow access because that’s on a need to know basis. Not allowing access is not unusual. Revoking clearance like this is unusual. If it has been done, it certainly wasn’t done so publicly. I still have a Top Secret clearance myself, but I only see stuff on a need to know basis. Frankly, that’s not very often.
That’s exactly right. An active clearance is an asset someone possesses, and doesn’t have to actively be using it. Taking it away from political foes is straight Banana Republic BS.

Cuckoo

Since it appears the wording to the question offends you, let me phrase it differently. If Trump (as an outsider to our system) teams up with Russia, Via Mannafort, Kelly Ann, Kelly, Madis... (et all) to succesffuly outsmart all of our IC and American public to be a domestic enemy to our election.. Is it actually better for us to know or not know? Can you answer this one?

That’s exactly right. An active clearance is an asset someone possesses, and doesn’t have to actively be using it. Taking it away from political foes is straight Banana Republic BS.

How is it Bannana Republic BS? If Brennan doesn’t need ckearance, why does revoking it matter? If Brennan happens to be appointed by a Dem, he can reinstate clearance no?

38800001_1906948949601960_8903725946322812928_n.jpg

Reactions: Bill4411
How is it Bannana Republic BS? If Brennan doesn’t need ckearance, why does revoking it matter? If Brennan happens to be appointed by a Dem, he can reinstate clearance no?
No. His clearance would need to start from scratch. New process. Waste of taxpayer money. They’re expensive to conduct.

A rational person knows that his clearance was most likely dormant and he wasn’t being given info because he didn’t have NTK. This is what laymen don’t understand. It’s an asset that the government spent time and money on to give to him. It’s harmless to have it sitting there until its natural explanation.

If DCIA or her successor wanted to hire him for some consulting work, the clearance would activate and he’d be rocking and rolling. Because Trump is a dictator, that can no longer happen.

Reactions: twenty02
Not only revoking the clearance , but then listing the names of everyone else he is considering revolingnwas chilling. I cannnot wait until this nightmare is over.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
You’re not following along very well. Having a security clearance is more than just whether you currently are employed by the government. It also is chilling of the free speech of anyone that has a security clearance, many of whom do not work for the government.

Then again, facts and reality don’t matter to you in your continuing zeal to defend Trump. Carry on. We’ve all come to expect your willingness to play the fool.
While I think he does dance like a lemming frequently for Trump, I’m giving the benefit of the doubt to laymen re clearances. Most laymen think that clearances come and go with jobs. They don’t. If they did, cleared people could never switch agencies or private enterprises.

This was a dictatorial move and it’s embarassing.

Reactions: twenty02
Hopefully the entire "corrupt" team of FBI and CIA hacks get theirs all pulled asap. Yes including Comey and Flynn both Pubs. They do not NTK shit. Add Rice,Ohr and Clapper to the list as well.

Reactions: Lucy01

Because that not how the system works. And never has for a reason.....the former folks have a lot of knowledge and history (Brennan was at CIA his entire career). In addition, the govt works side by side with private industry, NGOs, etc.....being able to reach out and include people that aren't solely active govt employees is important.,

You support a petulant man-child who sits in the Oval....there was no legit NS argument for what was done today. It's disgraceful. Corker called it correctly today....Banana Republic.

Last edited:
Since it appears the wording to the question offends you, let me phrase it differently. If Trump (as an outsider to our system) teams up with Russia, Via Mannafort, Kelly Ann, Kelly, Madis... (et all) to succesffuly outsmart all of our IC and American public to be a domestic enemy to our election.. Is it actually better for us to know or not know? Can you answer this one?

It's nice that you are not xenophobic and that you are open-minded enough to trust foreign agents like Putin or FOM aka Friends of Manafort; rather than domestic ones who had spent their entire careers defending the nation.

Reactions: Bill4411
Because that not how the system works. And never has for a reason.....the former folks have a lot of knowledge and history (Brennan was at CIA his entire career). In addition, the govt works side by side with private industry, NGOs, etc.....being able to reach out and include people that aren't solely active govt employees is important.,

You support a petulant man-child who sits in the Oval....there was no legit NS argument for what was done today. It's disgraceful. Corker called it correctly today....Banana Republic.

I’d hate to see Trump yank the clearance of anybody who criticizes him. But Brennen is a frickin’ clown. So are clapper and Comey. Others on the list or former NSA chief Hayden not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT