ADVERTISEMENT

Petrino Done At U of L

Interesting. Can Louisville afford both Petrino and Brohm’s buyouts? I think it is clear Brohm bolts for Louisville if offered the job. Louisville just finished some major facilities upgrades so the institutional support is there.

Last edited:
Brohm might want to move soon if so. If they lose to WI and then IU in bucket game, he'd end season 0-3 and no bowl. Better strike while he's still "semi-hot."

Reactions: td75
Pork_Chop_medium.gif

Interesting can Louisville afford both Petrino and Brohm’s buyouts? I think it is clear Brohm bolts for Louisville if offered the job. Louisville just finished some major facilities upgrades so the institutional support is there.

I'm not so sure he would jump at the Louisville job. You have Clemson in your division. He has a better chance of playing in Conference Championships where he is at. We will see if they even try to buy him out.

Reactions: SBendguy
I have no insights nor do I really care about PU/Brohm moves. If IU gets another great recruiting class, and IU makes some of the changes I expect post season (that I hope is a bowl year still if beat PU for bucket) I think the Penix/James/Scott & WR talent will be as good as PU anyday, and there will be some young bucks on D that will continue to improve.

There's now a decent shot that Purdue loses out...he better jump to Louisville. Purdue isn't a very good job anyway. They certainly have the built in Delany prop up with the goofy division alignment, but it's a middle tier job at best case scenario.

Interesting can Louisville afford both Petrino and Brohm’s buyouts? I think it is clear Brohm bolts for Louisville if offered the job. Louisville just finished some major facilities upgrades so the institutional support is there.

People get too hung up on the top line dollar amount on buyouts. It’s less a locked in amount and more a starting point for negotiation. Also, there are typically no timeline for payments, so Louisville is not obligated to make an immediate lump sum payment in full. If Petrino wants the full buyout, then Louisville could pay it out over 10-15+ years. My guess is that they will negotiate a single payment of around 3-4 mil.

Reactions: td75 and IUgradman
I thought I’d read somewhere that Brohm refuses to speak with other schools about their openings until after his season had ended. Anyone else remember reading that about Brohm or am I making that up?

Reactions: IndySouthsider
I live near Louisville, and I will be completely shocked if Brohm does not get offered accept that job. His family has strong Louisville routes, the athletic director and he both our graduates of Trinity high school, and I have heard that his son is in eighth grade, so bring him home to go to Trinity would be a natural as well.

Reactions: IUgradman
There's now a decent shot that Purdue loses out...he better jump to Louisville. Purdue isn't a very good job anyway. They certainly have the built in Delany prop up with the goofy division alignment, but it's a middle tier job at best case scenario.

I expect Purdue to torch Wisconsin. Wisky is pretty poor this season by their standards. Wisky just is mediocre this year. I see Purdue picking up their 6th win before the Bucket game.

Reactions: grammy2
I expect Purdue to torch Wisconsin. Wisky is pretty poor this season by their standards. Wisky just is mediocre this year. I see Purdue picking up their 6th win before the Bucket game.
PU hasn't beat Wisconsin in like the last 13 games or so.

PU hasn't beat Wisconsin in like the last 13 games or so.

This Wisconsin team is pretty average. Think about it. They might finish with a 7-5 record, which is just abysmal for them. Hornibrook was out with concussion protocol and the Wisky defense gave up all sorts of rushing yards to PSU.

The Wisconsin teams PU faced in the past aren’t even close to this bunch.

This Wisconsin team is pretty average. Think about it. They might finish with a 7-5 record, which is just abysmal for them. Hornibrook was out with concussion protocol and the Wisky defense gave up all sorts of rushing yards to PSU.

Maybe the past 4 years, but PU totally sucked the past 4 years. PU is a .500 team this year: I wouldn't say that is clearly superior than Joe Tiller's or even Danny Hope's teams. Wisconsin has clearly been the superior program to PU for quite some time. Plus, PU just got curb stomped by the Gophers.

Brohm: He gone, lol. Grab a bucket of popcorn for the PU meltdown. Maybe Brohm has already checked out: could be why the Gophers kicked PU's ass so hard yesterday.

I think that’s probably true to an extent, and true for most coaches, but I think most coaches would also be willing to have some preliminary back channel talks early as well

Purdue could certainly win, but not sure how likely a torching is. 2 of Purdue’s last 3 games have been pretty poor showings.

People get too hung up on the top line dollar amount on buyouts. It’s less a locked in amount and more a starting point for negotiation. Also, there are typically no timeline for payments, so Louisville is not obligated to make an immediate lump sum payment in full. If Petrino wants the full buyout, then Louisville could pay it out over 10-15+ years. My guess is that they will negotiate a single payment of around 3-4 mil.
That’s not how it works. They have to pay him his full salary for the next 4-5 years. Not 10-15+.

Essentially they’ll be paying two big salaries for the next several years. One thing is certain...Louisville wants to win and is willing to pay for it.

That’s not how it works. They have to pay him his full salary for the next 4-5 years. Not 10-15+.

Essentially they’ll be paying two big salaries for the next several years. One thing is certain...Louisville wants to win and is willing to pay for it.

What I’m saying is that the $14mil buyout (3 years salary) could be spread out over 10-15 years, since there is no specified payment timeline. His contract states that if he is fired without cause, he is owed an amount equal to his next 3 years salary, paid in quarterly installments (amount and number of installments is not specified). Louisville can negotiate the timeline that it wants to pay that amount. I’m saying that Petrino will likely accept less overall in exchange for more upfront

Wisconsin QB out with concussion against Penn St

Also if the fired coach takes another job that salary is deducted form the total amount of the buyout. When Crean got the job at ESPN and now Georgia IU was not responsible for the total amount.

Also if the fired coach takes another job that salary is deducted form the total amount of the buyout. When Crean got the job at ESPN and now Georgia IU was not responsible for the total amount.

Yep, mitigation clause, which is also a reason why coaches will take a settlement less than the full amount.

That’s not the case in this buyout from what I’ve heard. That isn’t in all contracts.

What I’m saying is that the $14mil buyout (3 years salary) could be spread out over 10-15 years, since there is no specified payment timeline. His contract states that if he is fired without cause, he is owed an amount equal to his next 3 years salary, paid in quarterly installments (amount and number of installments is not specified). Louisville can negotiate the timeline that it wants to pay that amount. I’m saying that Petrino will likely accept less overall in exchange for more upfront
I’ve understood it as it has to be paid regularly in the next 3 years. I could be wrong but that’s how I read one article and that’s what a Louisville fan told me. Again, could be wrong but I doubt Petrino agreed to no timeline back when he had the leverage.

If I was Coach Brohm I would be considering staying in the Big Ten West rather than moving to the ACC Atlantic. U of L is a dumpster fire, Fired President, relieved board, fired Athletic Director, fired basketball coach fired football coach, law suits and counter suits, Governors involvement. I am betting he gets a raise and extension at Purdue. The only problem with my scenario is his next two games. Putting an I on the Bucket and costing them a bowl might poison the extension leverage if he gets a Louisville offer. I am still think Louisville might be tapped out on funding. It is going to be fun to watch.

He is getting the full 14 and it has to be paid with 12 months per contract. Why would Petrino negotiate less? That’s silly.

If I was Coach Brohm I would be considering staying in the Big Ten West rather than moving to the ACC Atlantic. U of L is a dumpster fire, Fired President, relieved board, fired Athletic Director, fired basketball coach fired football coach, law suits and counter suits, Governors involvement. I am betting he gets a raise and extension at Purdue. The only problem with my scenario is his next two games. Putting an I on the Bucket and costing them a bowl might poison the extension leverage if he gets a Louisville offer. I am still think Louisville might be tapped out on funding. It is going to be fun to watch.
I don't think Louisville's AD would have fired Petrino mid-season and with his buyout if he didn't have some money to throw around.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Louisville HAD to make a change. Their attendance figures had plummeted to never seen before figures. Apparently Petrino's dad passed away fairly recently and some say he hasn't been the same person.

Also, when you're accustomed to winning 8+ games per year, you simply do not accept a 2 win season. Most of us wish IU took football so serious.

Reactions: IUgradman
He is getting the full 14 and it has to be paid with 12 months per contract. Why would Petrino negotiate less? That’s silly.
The only variable here is what Brohm wants to do. There is no way L'ville makes the move to fire Petrino right now unless the school knows it has the financial wherewithal to pay the buyout to Petrino and buy out Brohm's Purdue contract. Mostly because the boosters, big donors and the rest of the fan base are not going to be satisfied with anybody but Brohm (unless he flatly tells them no). Pursuing anybody else over Brohm is going to piss off every fan they have.

I wouldn't begin to speculate whether they have yet contacted JB or what he might have said in reply but I'd bet the farm they know they have the money to make him the new coach.

The only variable here is what Brohm wants to do. There is no way L'ville makes the move to fire Petrino right now unless the school knows it has the financial wherewithal to pay the buyout to Petrino and buy out Brohm's Purdue contract. Mostly because the boosters, big donors and the rest of the fan base are not going to be satisfied with anybody but Brohm (unless he flatly tells them no). Pursuing anybody else over Brohm is going to piss off every fan they have.

I wouldn't begin to speculate whether they have yet contacted JB or what he might have said in reply but I'd bet the farm they know they have the money to make him the new coach.
I have no doubt they have the money. That was nonsense talk.

The first call that Louisville makes will be Jeff Brohm but do not be surprised to see one of these very good up-and-coming coaches end up there:

1. Neal Brown - also a Kentucky native but played at UK.

2. Mike Norvell

3. Brent Venables

4. Ryan Day

The first call that Louisville makes will be Jeff Brohm but do not be surprised to see one of these very good up-and-coming coaches end up there:

1. Neal Brown - also a Kentucky native but played at UK.

2. Mike Norvell

3. Brent Venables

4. Ryan Day
If L-ville hasn't already reached out to Brohm behind the scenes to gauge interest it was a dumb move to fire Petrino at this point. They had to have buyout money in place and new money in place to hire another coach or the firing is just a horrible business decision. Maybe they fully plan to conduct a national search in which maybe Brohm already stated his interest or non interest in a decision. But to fire a coach mid-season without everything (money) in place could be a circus in which nobody has ever seen before at the college level.

At any rate, I think IU owes a big thank you to Louisville for creating an enormous distraction for the PU football program. The timing couldn't have been better: two weeks before the Bucket game, lol. Brohm could literally walk at any second.

Brohm could literally walk at any second.

Which really sucks if he does. Its not fair to anyone IMO, players, coaches, recruits, university. I don't consider louisville a move up. I've always considered the Big a much better football conference than the acc. The guy has something going too and unless he has done something wrong and he knows he has to bail why not stay?

Question for others here. Does anyone else think Louisville and the acc are a move up from Lafayette and the Big?

Last edited:
At any rate, I think IU owes a big thank you to Louisville for creating an enormous distraction for the PU football program. The timing couldn't have been better: two weeks before the Bucket game, lol. Brohm could literally walk at any second.

Certainly not guaranteed and I could see it going either way at this point, but IF Brohm is going to take the UL job, I wonder what would be harder to deal with from the PU players perspective:
1) Leave now - provides certainty, although incredibly deflating
2) Leave after the season - have to anxiously wait for a final decision

Which really sucks if he does. Its not fair to anyone IMO, players, coaches, recruits, university. I don't consider louisville a move up. I've always considered the Big a much better football conference than the acc. The guy has something going too and unless he has done something wrong and he knows he has to bail why not stay?

Question for others here. Does anyone else think Louisville and the acc are a move up from Lafayette and the Big?
One interesting thought: where did Matt Painter and Sharon Versyp play college basketball? They both certainly felt there was no place like home and wanted to coach where they played. I understand they are just two coaches and not representative of every coach's wishes. Just shows the home argument can both benefit and disadvantage a school.

Louisville just fired a coach who had won 11 and 12 games for them before and produced a Heisman Trophy winner and National Championship contender just two years ago: I think that answers the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldcougar77
Which really sucks if he does. Its not fair to anyone IMO, players, coaches, recruits, university. I don't consider louisville a move up. I've always considered the Big a much better football conference than the acc. The guys has something going too and unless he has done something wrong and he knows he has to bail why not stay?

I would say its a half step up.

While the BT as a whole is better than the ACC, both divisions of the ACC are better than the BT West. Also, UL has been ranked in the top 10 in 7 of the last 15 seasons, which is more than Purdue in the last 50 years. I'm not sure it its completed yet, but a part of the UL stadium expansion includes a new training facility that is at least on par if not better than Purdue's new facility. And in regards to the stadium itself, UL is WAY ahead. UL also has 50% higher athletic revenue. While on paper, UL is either running a small deficit or just breaking even, money is not really an issue as they essentially have blank checks from a ton of big money donors - if they need money, it will appear.

Louisville isn't paradise, but it isn't Lafayette either :)

Seriously, it's probably a lateral move. Both P5 conferences with some schools in football hotbeds, others in basketball-minded states. Purdue doesn't have to contend with the best of the B1G from a divisional standpoint but the level of competition is still strong. The ACC has Clemson and Fla. State who are national powers but a lot of other programs on the rise in the last few years.

I think for Brohm the decision is going to come down to whether he feels the pull of home and the chance to give back to the city and the university - or whether he likes what he has started at Purdue and wants to see it through. He also may not want to walk into the current mess in the athletic department, or he may feel he can be a difference maker in righting the ship.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Louisville isn't paradise, but it isn't Lafayette either :)

I think for Brohm the decision is going to come down to whether he feels the pull of home and the chance to give back to the city and the university - or whether he likes what he has started at Purdue and wants to see it through. He also may not want to walk into the current mess in the athletic department, or he may feel he can be a difference maker in righting the ship.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Another deciding factor is career goals - if he wants to be a career college HC, I think UL is the more likely option, but if he has sights on the NFL, I think Purdue might be the quicker path there

Absolutely. Louisville is a much better city than W Laffy. Much more to do. The Kentucky Derby is a big deal and he'd be treated like royalty. Better food. Better schools. They get good concerts there. For a decent sized city, you also need to remember that they have no pro teams. U of L is their pro team.

Recruiting to Louisville should be much easier too. Kids from urban areas will love being in a bigger city versus a cow town. While PU is no Ivy league school, Louisville has some of the weakest academic standards in all of college football. The ACC almost didn't let them in over how poor they ranked compared to the rest of the conference. Again, that should help immensely with recruiting.

Being a Big Ten homer, I do not think that the ACC has better football, but it definitely would be easier to create a winner there as evidenced by their history. Add in that he's from there and I don't see how he could turn them down unless they just low-ball him or something crazy like that?

ADVERTISEMENT