ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective on Woodson hire from Atlanta

Apr 10, 2009
I have some family members that are IU fans and are still scratching their heads on this hire and arrangement with Matta. These comments from an Atlanta reporter don't instill confidence either. Perhaps it will work, but lots of reasons that it won't.

• Haha
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I have some family members that are IU fans and are still scratching their heads on this hire and arrangement with Matta. These comments from an Atlanta reporter don't instill confidence either. Perhaps it will work, but lots of reasons that it won't.

30db6c69728e6cd12babe8198806e9b5.gif

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
The perspective is being paid 3 million a year. That alone says it all.
I'll hope he\it works, but it doesn't take a genius to realize this isnt a big hire.

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
Beyond the factual errors in the "cutesy" piece regarding Davis, Matta, Holtmann and IU's Sampson-NCAA issues; this is the opinion of a writer who didn't get along with Woody. His attempts at being "cute" are rather sopohmoric...or "Sophamoric" as Chuck Crabb would say.

Edit...fixed the typo

Last edited:
I tell you what, the first time I see Woody get up in one of our guys grill, and I actually see the look of fear/respect from a player while looking back???? I will go from 6 to midnight.

How about we see what happens. I remember the national media saying Archie was a 20 year head coach at IU. I'll watch with interest and support our coach. It's not like we hired a coach from Southern Illinois.

Our new coach gets frustrated with the media? ... Damn, we really are moving toward a winning culture again.

My perspective on Woodson's hire is this: Scott Dolson is basically staking his job on hiring Woody. Dolson has been around the program for years, he's a big fan as well as an AD, and he wants IU to win. He was willing to make bold moves, first firing Miller and then hiring a coach with no college coaching experience. He knows Woodson is a winner. Woodson knows what it takes to win at IU. Dolson is so convinced that he hired him. As fans we should have no hesitation in getting on board with CMW.

My perspective on Woodson's hire is this: Scott Dolson is basically staking his job on hiring Woody. Dolson has been around the program for years, he's a big fan as well as an AD, and he wants IU to win. He was willing to make bold moves, first firing Miller and then hiring a coach with no college coaching experience. He knows Woodson is a winner. Woodson knows what it takes to win at IU. Dolson is so convinced that he hired him. As fans we should have no hesitation in getting on board with CMW.
I'm not sure Dolson really had a choice. He's a yes man all the way and by all accounts the boosters insisted on Stevens or an IU guy. I doubt he would've been allowed to target anyone else.

I'm not sure Dolson really had a choice. He's a yes man all the way and by all accounts the boosters insisted on Stevens or an IU guy. I doubt he would've been allowed to target anyone else.
If he didn’t use a search firm as a clearinghouse / sounding board / back channel solicitor to unearth and vett potential candidates, then you’re likely correct that this “search” was likely confined to the obligatory ask of Stevens (which was DOA) followed by a Rolodex trip through former players. There might have been some outreach to others beyond the IU fencing, but it doesn’t appear to have been extensive, nor did it net any positive results.

Plan B was probably always to try one of our guys, and that turned out to be Woody. Hope it works. IU fans want it to, especially those of us who saw him wear the stripes with distinction. But people worry that, if it doesn’t, what will we be able to do with a favorite son. It’s why many choose to not go this route. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: Neildouglass
So you don't believe the stuff about Matta? Just coincidence he ends up as Associate AD for the bball program?

Plenty of reason for concern with this hire, and personally, I don't think it will work. But, at times I convinced myself all 3 previous hires were "good" ones. Archie was a hot prospect and one of the top "up and comers" at the time and I liked his Dayton teams. Crean always reaked of snake-oil salesman, but after putting together the Cody-Jordy-Yogi-Vic rosters and getting us to #1, I convinced myself it might work. And Sampson, I believed was a good Coach and would win and hoped the reports of his cheating were wrong. All 3 proved to be wrong. Former players have been yearning for an IU guy and Woodson I think is the most qualified of the bunch. His quiet "public" demeanor and lack of college and recruiting are concerns, but if he can connect with recruits I think he's probably a good "relationship" Coach and hopefully can instill a winning culture. Matta is an interesting wild card. Again, hard for me to see it working long term, but if he can help guide and mentor Woodson on recruiting and overseeing a big time program, it could work. Big gamble, but everyone involved is aware of all these pitfalls so hopefully they can navigate around them.

The article? Sounds like a hack writer with an axe to grind. Couldn't take it seriously after it said Mike Davis was an alum.

Very nice of you to stop by and share this article. Tell your IU friends/relatives we are sorry for their predicament.

McHoop

Reactions: IUAPEX

Yeah, It's really important to me to hear comments from a Purdue fan.

Our new coach gets frustrated with the media? ... Damn, we really are moving toward a winning culture again.
And not just any media, but one of those types who writes smug, self-satisfying snark (“name redacted”, Hoosiers are apparently ultra-sensitive, etc etc) thinking that it’s clever and cute.

They’re the worst of the bunch. Back in the days when newspapers mattered, they all had a columnist like this. I figured that they were the kids who were chosen last on the playground and had a lot of deep-seated resentment against the kids who got chosen first, got the girls, etc. And these kinds of insufferable op-eds were about their only means to unload it.

I don't know if Mike Woodson will be successful here. None of us do. He's signed up for a difficult job. But I do know that he's about 100 times the man than the skidmark who wrote this twaddle.

Last edited:

"arrangement w Matta"?

This is all setting up nicely for Woodson to overachieve and build something.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Not only is he a fan, he was a manager for Knight for 4 years. I’m guessing he learned a few things about running a successful BB program. I don’t know whether this is going to work, but we’ll see. I’m more excited by this than I would have been with us hiring a mid-major coach or a P5 coach who has to prove he can win here.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Link? Nothing so far has outwardly indicated that Scott is a "yes man" so your inside perspective is much needed here.

Brad or an IU-man are pretty safe bets as targets so your assessment that Scott "wouldn't have been allowed to target anyone else" seems to ring hollow here. Anxious to hear your sources.

It's "sophomoric".
Akk right (edited)...3 AM and I was barely focused on the second term which is spelled as I intended. It is an Assembly Hall reference. Chuck Crabb is the long time PA man and pronouces the term the way I spelled it.

Last edited:
Link? Nothing so far has outwardly indicated that Scott is a "yes man" so your inside perspective is much needed here.

Brad or an IU-man are pretty safe bets as targets so your assessment that Scott "wouldn't have been allowed to target anyone else" seems to ring hollow here. Anxious to hear your sources.
Dbm missed his calling as a sportswriter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

After reading that ill-researched article, does anyone really blame Woodson for not liking the writer?

The Butthurt-o-meter was pegged from the second paragraph on. I am sure there is legitimate criticism of any coach who has been doing this for this long, but this article didn't pass the smell test.

I drove through Broad Ripple yesterday (where Mike Woodson is from, duh), and the buzz about him was palpable. Palpable, I say!

Reactions: kkott and Birnk403
The 3 million is because he’s never coached in college. I’m sure if he does well in the first couple years he will get a raise.
That same stupid argument was used against Tom Allen (cheap!!!), and then magically, he got a raise after some wins and is now one of the top 20 highest paid coaches in football.

Considering the guy is a sportswriter in Atlanta, please enjoy Georgia basketball and that IU set Crean free so he could coach Georgia.

What choice do we have. Like most I will wait and see. With the new transfer rule we can hopefully shorten the rebuild time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT