ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective on Woodson hire from Atlanta

Former Lexington writer says it all...

As for the Matta not getting the job due to a physical, this is highly doubtful. The ADA would have a field day with this as there could be plenty of accommodations made for a coach with physical challenges of many sorts. The rejection would have to be based on an inability to perform job related duties with accommodation, this would be a pretty easy lawsuit to win. It's not like Thad has to practice with the kids to perform his coaching duties.

Plenty of reason for concern with this hire, and personally, I don't think it will work. But, at times I convinced myself all 3 previous hires were "good" ones. Archie was a hot prospect and one of the top "up and comers" at the time and I liked his Dayton teams. Crean always reaked of snake-oil salesman, but after putting together the Cody-Jordy-Yogi-Vic rosters and getting us to #1, I convinced myself it might work. And Sampson, I believed was a good Coach and would win and hoped the reports of his cheating were wrong. All 3 proved to be wrong. Former players have been yearning for an IU guy and Woodson I think is the most qualified of the bunch. His quiet "public" demeanor and lack of college and recruiting are concerns, but if he can connect with recruits I think he's probably a good "relationship" Coach and hopefully can instill a winning culture. Matta is an interesting wild card. Again, hard for me to see it working long term, but if he can help guide and mentor Woodson on recruiting and overseeing a big time program, it could work. Big gamble, but everyone involved is aware of all these pitfalls so hopefully they can navigate around them.

The article? Sounds like a hack writer with an axe to grind. Couldn't take it seriously after it said Mike Davis was an alum.

I saw that, but I thought the guy meant that Davis was an alum of the Knight era as a coach. Wasn't clear. I wouldn't discount the opinion completely, there is usually some truth even with exaggerations and personality conflicts.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89

As for the Matta not getting the job due to a physical, this is highly doubtful. The ADA would have a field day with this as there could be plenty of accommodations made for a coach with physical challenges of many sorts. The rejection would have to be based on an inability to perform job related duties with accommodation, this would be a pretty easy lawsuit to win. It's not like Thad has to practice with the kids to perform his coaching duties.
That story never passed the smell test, though almost everyone fell for it. It never made sense.

Reactions: kmathum
I have some family members that are IU fans and are still scratching their heads on this hire and arrangement with Matta. These comments from an Atlanta reporter don't instill confidence either. Perhaps it will work, but lots of reasons that it won't.

Why do you come to this board - your boards aren't interesting (well yeah, it's Purdue). Why would you waste your time badmouthing Woodson? You scared? Look, Woodson may or may not succeed, it's wait and see. I know this, Woodson knows more about getting to and succeeding in the NBA than Matt Painter does. Painter isn't exactly churning out lottery picks. You scared that Woodson might be a more credible teacher to help get good kids to the NBA and will use that against Purdue in recruiting?

I never believed that story. It didn't make any sense.

Reactions: kmathum
The perspective is being paid 3 million a year. That alone says it all.
I'll hope he\it works, but it doesn't take a genius to realize this isnt a big hire.

You tied his pay with MW not being a big hire.

Bing correctly pointed this out.

I agree with Bing. Pay doesn't mean shit.

that physical bs was a crock from the get go.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Sounds like someone is a little butt hurt from being yelled at on the phone. Gotta love keyboard warriors who use their platform to spew whatever venom they choose.

Butch Carter hit a shot over Jerry Schisting for us to win the 1979 NIT over PU. Have they even been in an NIT final other than this?
The partying (and damage) at Showalter after that exceeded the '76 celebration.

I have some family members that are IU fans and are still scratching their heads on this hire and arrangement with Matta. These comments from an Atlanta reporter don't instill confidence either. Perhaps it will work, but lots of reasons that it won't.

This guy is an idiot. With his commentary on Coach Knight, I take everything else he said with a grain of salt. I think with Woodson's ties to the NBA and NBA style offense has a chance to bring in solid recruits. Talent is what will make or break him and I think Thad will be there to guide him on the do's and dont's of recruiting at the College level. I think he brings a lot more selling points to potential recruits than Tom Crean and Archie Miller. And, I think with Fife and Matta, player development will also be a selling point. That article is just a hit piece with little substance that pertains to why he will or will not be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT