ADVERTISEMENT

Per Wall Street Journal

baileyiu

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2001
NASCAR has searched 29 race tracks and approximately 1800 stalls and Bubba Wallace’s stall is the ONLY stall with a noose! I’m sure it was just a coincidence that Wallace was assigned that stall!
It was not a fishing knot with the end coming out the middle like some here contend. Look at Wall St Journal article and you will see the difference

Reactions: brianiu
NASCAR has searched 29 race tracks and approximately 1800 stalls and Bubba Wallace’s stall is the ONLY stall with a noose! I’m sure it was just a coincidence that Wallace was assigned that stall!
It was not a fishing knot with the end coming out the middle like some here contend. Look at Wall St Journal article and you will see the difference
I'm no knot expert, but it sure does look like a noose to me.

So, since it was reportedly there back in 2019, it's either one hell of a coincidence or they assigned Wallace that garage on purpose.

It maybe a coincidence, but why would you need a knot like that to pull down a door? Answer is you don't...my building has loading dock doors and of all the plants i have been in i have never seen a knot like that...i have never been asked by a driver to tie one on the single strand rope that we have currently have.
Also, look at where that loop ends, you wouldn't pull to close a door there, also that big ass knot would just get in the way trying to close it....hence people use a single strand. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it doesn't pass the common sense test.

It maybe a coincidence, but why would you need a knot like that to pull down a door? Answer is you don't...my building has loading dock doors and of all the plants i have been in i have never seen a knot like that...i have never been asked by a driver to tie one on the single strand rope that we have currently have.
Also, look at where that loop ends, you wouldn't pull to close a door there, also that big ass knot would just get in the way trying to close it....hence people use a single strand. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it doesn't pass the common sense test.
All it takes is one douchebag to think it's cool.

If it was there before and has been there for a year, could it not be a bad attempt at humor instead of racism. Kind of like the hanging motion people make when someone or something is driving them nuts...(the just hang me now so I can get out of here type of thing) except this time maybe related to how the prior team did in the race or whatever.

I can think of other reasons to tie the garage pull into a noose that have nothing to do with race.

If it was there before and has been there for a year, could it not be a bad attempt at humor instead of racism. Kind of like the hanging motion people make when someone or something is driving them nuts...(the just hang me now so I can get out of here type of thing) except this time maybe related to how the prior team did in the race or whatever.

I can think of other reasons to tie the garage pull into a noose that have nothing to do with race.

nooses hold tight, that’s why they are used to hang people....instead of a Windsor knot

Whenever the noose was originally fashioned, that was most likely a really bad attempt at humor, or to just be cute and show off some knot tying abilities. Something like “the door needs a rope anyway, I’ll make a noose out of it to show off my knot tying skills.” Mechanic type people do things like that to show their skills for everyday objects all the time.

As for the stated odds of it being in Wallace’s assigned garage...? The year long ones don’t matter. Just that particular weeks’. And the odds are still long that it was a coincidence that out of 40-50 teams, or however many their were, that Wallace would get that garage. But theyre obviously way better than lumping them into the year long odds. So whoever and whatever the garage selection process is, should be looked into.

But for anyone to expect that the lone Black NASCAR driver, finding a noose in his garage, isn’t going to garner emotional reactions, and media coverage...well I’d question their intelligence, genuineness, or motivations, or all of the above.

Further, you can be cute and try to explain the various different types of nooses...but everyone knows the thoughts and connotations that occur when basically anyone sees any sort of noose these days. I watch a lot of historical series, Game of Thrones type series, etc... Where hangings are fairly commonplace. And even I immediately think of racial stuff when I see a noose.

It shouldn’t have been there. Someone should be fired or reprimanded for it. Period. It’s good to know it wasn’t created specifically for Wallace. It is. But that doesn’t change that it shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

I watch a lot of historical series, Game of Thrones type series, etc... Where hangings are fairly commonplace. And even I immediately think of racial stuff when I see a noose.

I don't. If it is put up for specifically racially linked purposes, then yeah I can see that. But hangings were a form of ppunishment used on quite a few white people throughout the years. I don't know why you would automatically associate them with race...even in a show that has them around a white person's neck.

Seems kind of overly sensitive and silly from my POV.

Reactions: Bill4411
I don't. If it is put up for specifically racially linked purposes, then yeah I can see that. But hangings were a form of ppunishment used on quite a few white people throughout the years. I don't know why you would automatically associate them with race...even in a show that has them around a white person's neck.

I meant when I see a random unoccupied noose. Sorry, should have been more clear. The association with those TV shows is I see quite a lot of other “uses” for them. But my mind still goes to lynchings and just racial thoughts when I see a rope fashioned into a noose.

I meant when I see a random unoccupied noose. Sorry, should have been more clear. The association with those TV shows is I see quite a lot of other “uses” for them. But my mind still goes to lynchings and just racial thoughts when I see a rope fashioned into a noose.

what are “racial thoughts”?

Black people were terrorized and murdered in the South after the Civil War. Thousands of Black people were lynched up through the late 1960s. Not sure why it's hard to understand why it would be a sensitive subject. Also there is this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/22/black-victims-hanging-suicide/

Reactions: sglowrider
Noose-tying skills passed down in your family too? (dws)

Well, except for the part where even a cardboard cutout of a noose could be (1) an effort at intimidation, and (2) a successful effort at intimidation. It doesn't have to be a functional knot.

Black people were terrorized and murdered in the South after the Civil War. Thousands of Black people were lynched up through the late 1960s. Not sure why it's hard to understand why it would be a sensitive subject. Also there is this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/22/black-victims-hanging-suicide/

Again, it was a typical form of punishment for centuries. If you are a white person watching a show loosely based on the Medieval time of history and see a hanging scene involving a white person, what in your psychology changes their face to black?

You know, many black people hate seeing themselves as "the slave" in period pieces. They say that tends to be the main role they get in those pieces and they think it continues to depress their sense of self worth to see them defined that way so often by popular culture. I would think they would find it kind of interesting that whenever a white person sees a white person being hung that they immediately want to slap a black face on the person in the noose no matter what color they actually are.

You think that's funny?
Not particularly but I think it’s a bit funny that you decided to jump on me especially when I put DWS. I was joking with my first post.

To be more specific, before I wrote my first post, I did think about not knowing how to make a noose. I remember as a kid trying to make a noose just out of curiosity and failing. Of course I realize that some people know how to make a noose for whatever reason. What I was thinking about after that was that I bet KKK people all know how to make one. I wonder if it’s standard learning in the deep South.

What an incredibly white thing to say. Maybe your point of view is clouded.

A white person says that every time they see a hanging scene in any movie, it makes them uneasy because of the history of lynchings. Sorry, that is stupid and overly sensitive for the reasons I already posted. If you are not black, why on earth would you put a black face on every hanging you see. It is nonsensical.

If you are a black person, I could understand. But not a white person. The most tedious people in these racial discussions is the overly sensitive and critical white liberal.

A white person says that every time they see a hanging scene in any movie, it makes them uneasy because of the history of lynchings. Sorry, that is stupid and overly sensitive for the reasons I already posted. If you are not black, why on earth would you put a black face on every hanging you see. It is nonsensical.

If you are a black person, I could understand. But not a white person. The most tedious people in these racial discussions is the overly sensitive and critical white liberal.
Here's a test: Go make a noose and then walk up to a black person with it. After you get your ass beat, then you'll at least learn what I cannot teach you in words. Try it ...

Knowing is half the battle,

GI Joe.

Again, it was a typical form of punishment for centuries. If you are a white person watching a show loosely based on the Medieval time of history and see a hanging scene involving a white person, what in your psychology changes their face to black?.

Our recent history alters our viewpoint.

The swastika was a symbol of peace for >2000 years. Why should we think of it as evil now? We just do. It was co-opted. As a noose, and the Confederate battle flag, were co-opted as symbols of black oppression and murder.

Our recent history alters our viewpoint.

The swastika was a symbol of peace for >2000 years. Why should we think of it as evil now? We just do. It was co-opted. As a noose, and the Confederate battle flag, were co-opted as symbols of black oppression and murder.
It shouldn't need explained. That you have to should tell you something.

Here's a test: Go make a noose and then walk up to a black person with it. After you get your ass beat, then you'll at least learn what I cannot teach you in words. Try it ...

GI Joe.

That would be doing something specifically aimed at black people, which is not what I was talking about. How about you go back and learn how to read with comprehension and then answer the real question I posed: Why do liberal whites put black faces into every hanging scene when they are not there. We are not talking about black people. IUNorth said that hanging scenes in Game of Thrones made him uncomfortable because of black people's history of hanging in the U.S. even though it was not a black person being depicted in the hanging. When he watches Braveheart being hanged, drawn, and quartered why does he want to put Danny Glover's face on Mel Gibson? That makes no ****ing sense.

Context matters. What you keep drawing this back to is something that is clearly racist and is also something I have very clearly not been talking about. Stop being obtuse and answer the question I have actually asked or move along and have the conversation you are attempting to have with someone who is actually defending that, because that ain't me.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

GI Joe.

dumb

That would be doing something specifically aimed at black people, which is not what I was talking about. How about you go back and learn how to read with comprehension and then answer the real question I posed: Why do liberal whites put black faces into every hanging scene when they are not there. We are not talking about black people. IUNorth said that hanging scenes in Game of Thrones made him uncomfortable because of black people's history of hanging in the U.S. even though it was not a black person being depicted in the hanging. When he watches Braveheart being hanged, drawn, and quartered why does he want to put Danny Glover's face on Mel Gibson? That makes no ****ing sense.

Context matters. What you keep drawing this back to is something that is clearly racist and is also something I have very clearly not been talking about. Stop being obtuse and answer the question I have actually asked or move along and have the conversation you are attempting to have with someone who is actually defending that, because that ain't me.

You are talking to a vapid troll. Don't waste your time as I did for far too long.

The most recent picture shows the knot more like a noose. A noose will slide, a loop used to pull a door shouldn’t slide, so we really don’t know without pulling it. The fuzzy image that looked like a fishing not appeared to show the end coming out of the middle of the wrap, which is a fishing not. There are other fishing nots that will look like a noose when tied with a rope instead of mono.

Many knots that form a loop will look like a noose. There are many uses for such knots. To say they are all nooses is mostly a result of wanting to see nooses.

Hanging as a form of punishment is Neanderthal and always has been.

The difference missing from your argument is that in the KKK South, lynched blacks’ crime was being black. That is, they weren’t being punished but rather murdered. That you don’t immediately associate a noose with the relatively recent American history of “lynchings” speaks mostly to how little your impression is of that shockingly horrific aspect of your American history.

The most recent picture shows the knot more like a noose. A noose will slide, a loop used to pull a door shouldn’t slide, so we really don’t know without pulling it. The fuzzy image that looked like a fishing not appeared to show the end coming out of the middle of the wrap, which is a fishing not. There are other fishing nots that will look like a noose when tied with a rope instead of mono.

Many knots that form a loop will look like a noose. There are many uses for such knots. To say they are all nooses is mostly a result of wanting to see nooses.
The FBI called it a noose, are you saying they were wanting to see a noose?

Reactions: largemouth
Hanging as a form of punishment is Neanderthal and always has been.

The difference missing from your argument is that in the KKK South, lynched blacks’ crime was being black. That is, they weren’t being punished but rather murdered. That you don’t immediately associate a noose with the relatively recent American history of “lynchings” speaks mostly to how little your impression is of that shockingly horrific aspect of your American history.

We used nooses to hang Nazis as recently as well. The fact that you imagine a black neck inside every noose says something about you.

I also want to again point out all the white people falling all over themselves to make sure that nothing but a black neck can be in that noose. "It was more recent." No it wasn't. The last hanging in the U.S. sanctioned by the government occurred in 1996. And the person hanged was white. I don't have to participate in your neurotic attempt to completely erase the fact the hangings occurred throughout history and had every race in them. Nor do I have to participate in feeling icky about ones taking place in a medieval setting with white people as those being hanged because lynchings. You guys are over the top ****ing stupid about this stuff.

Last edited:
We used nooses to hang Nazis as recently as well. The fact that you imagine a black neck inside every noose says something about you.

I also want to again point out all the white people falling all over themselves to make sure that nothing but a black neck can be in that noose. "It was more recent." No it wasn't. The last hanging in the U.S. sanctioned by the government occurred in 1996. And the person hanged was white. I don't have to participate in your neurotic attempt to completely erase the fact the hangings occurred throughout history and had every race in them. Nor do I have to participate in feeling icky about ones taking place in a medieval setting with white people as those being hanged because lynchings. You guys are over the top ****ing stupid about this stuff.
Hit a nerve?

I'm very sure the point is absolutely not if the knot was a functioning noose. Obviously, they weren't going to lynch Wallace (or anyone else) with it. The point is that the rope sure looked like a noose to the FBI, if not the Knotmaster from Colorado. I'm not saying it looked like a noose on purpose, and probably was an innocuous, however unfortunate, chain of events.
I smell another of your attempts to divert attention away from the crux of the situation. Were you born with that tendency, or did they teach that in the first year of lawyering school, along with contracts, torts, and civil procedure?

Do you think nooses have been used to intimidate Blacks, much like a burning cross? Or is that all made up?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT