ADVERTISEMENT

Per Land of 10.....

82IU

Freshman
Apr 30, 2016
OT -Zendon Dellinger,(sp) 6'7" 320lbs from Ft Wayne and Western MI has announced he is transferring and joining the Hoosiers. He will have 4 years of eligibility since he redshirted this year. I am assuming he will have to sit out this year and have 3 years to participate. Hope Ballou and Dr R can turn this guy into another NFLer.

OT -Zendon Dellinger,(sp) 6'7" 320lbs from Ft Wayne and Western MI has announced he is transferring and joining the Hoosiers. He will have 4 years of eligibility since he redshirted this year. I am assuming he will have to sit out this year and have 3 years to participate. Hope Ballou and Dr R can turn this guy into another NFLer.

Interesting. He's got good size and was a 3* prospect coming out. Any idea why he redshirted this past year at WMU? Was he injured? Reshaping his body?

Sounds like we might have traded one Juan Harris sort of personality for another . . . Dellinger first committed to Cincy, then ended up at WMU and now will be at IU, kinda like Harris' Iowa/Iowa/Iowa/IU/IU trail of commitments. Hope he finds a home and family with the Hoosiers so he can settle in and actually play.

I'm not an expert on NCAA transfer rules. Since he redshirted last season, is there any chance he could qualify for an exception and play right away?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Interesting. He's got good size and was a 3* prospect coming out. Any idea why he redshirted this past year at WMU? Was he injured? Reshaping his body?

Sounds like we might have traded one Juan Harris sort of personality for another . . . Dellinger first committed to Cincy, then ended up at WMU and now will be at IU, kinda like Harris' Iowa/Iowa/Iowa/IU/IU trail of commitments. Hope he finds a home and family with the Hoosiers so he can settle in and actually play.

Don't think ZD's indecision between Cincinnati and W Michigan is even slightly comparable to Harris committing to IA 3 times and IU twice, finally coming here, then transferring to Iowa Western.

ZD just did what hundreds of guys do every couple of years: he decided W. Michigan sounded like a better fit than Cinci originally, got there, Redshirted to gain strength, found he didn't fit as well as he'd thought and is transferring somewhere he thinks will give him his best shot at being the best football player he can be...

I'm glad he's headed here.

Last edited:
Don't think ZD's indecision between Cincinnati and W Michigan is even slightly comparable to Harris committing to IA 3 times and IU twice, finally coming here, then transferring to Iowa Western.

ZD is just did what hundreds of guys do every couple of years: he decided W. Michigan sounded like a better fit than Cinci originally, got there, Redshirted to gain strength, found he didn't fit as well as he'd thought and is transferring somewhere he thinks will give him his best shot at being the best football player he can be...

I'm glad he's headed here.

OK.

One thing I oddly liked about his offer list is that it had 3 Ivy League schools on it, Harvard, Yale and Columbia. Kid's gotta be pretty bright to go along with his athleticism.

I'm not an expert on NCAA transfer rules. Since he redshirted last season, is there any chance he could qualify for an exception and play right away?

i'm not an expert either.

since he redshirted last yr, can he sit out this yr too, and still play 4 yrs?

Last edited:
i'm not an expert either.

since he redshirted last yr, can he sit out this yr too, and still play 4 trs?
Looks like a kid that can succeed. No matter what the rules are on transferring, I doubt he will win playing time anyway. Welcome to the Big Ten. Time to hit the weights for a year or two, and then see what happens.

The article I read says that's how it's going to work out... Sounds good if true...
That's not possible under current rules. He has 5 years to play 4, and transfers must sit out a year before they can be eligible at their new school, absent some extraordinary circumstance.

I believe Hiller recruited him at Cincy before the coaching change which led Dellinger to choose WMU after initially committing to Cinn. His connection with Hiller should be a good indication he will fit in at IU. He already has the size to play B1G ball.

That's not possible under current rules. He has 5 years to play 4, and transfers must sit out a year before they can be eligible at their new school, absent some extraordinary circumstance.

I tend to agree with you on this one because that's the way I've always understood the rule... The confusion lies in what was stated in the linked Land of Ten article (near the very bottom of it).

Link: https://www.landof10.com/indiana/indiana-football-transfer-western-michigan-tackle-zenden-dellinger

I was just hoping they knew something we didn't. Thought I read a similar "has four to play" blurb in another article about him but they may have just plagiarized this one...

ADVERTISEMENT