ADVERTISEMENT

People are actually burning Nike shoes and apparel...

There's a thread praising our soon-to-be SCOTUS justice as a "wise Caucasian," and you think this is the thread we'll realize is amazingly dumb?

I assumed someone would delete his thread. He should have been banned last month.

Someone that runs this board doesn't equate sexual orientation with race. Otherwise he wouldn't be here.

Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer was an amazing book. Tillman was a fascinating person...and Krakauer is a gifted writer who really told the story well.
I love all of his books an that was one of the ones I read on Tillman. Also read one by his mother.

Reactions: DrHoops
There's a thread praising our soon-to-be SCOTUS justice as a "wise Caucasian," and you think this is the thread we'll realize is amazingly dumb?
Yeah I can’t believe that thread wasn’t pulled. And last I looked, no one had even commented on it, I guess just like with Trump, we just take both his racism and his homophobia for granted now.

I have the one by his mom on my Kindle. I just haven't gotten to it. So much reading to do with not enough time.

Into Thin Air by Krakauer was my favorite. I have never read a book where I couldn't wait to get to the next page. My heart was actually pounding reading that book. Under the Banner of Heaven was fantastic too. I never knew anything about Mormons before that book. Fascinating read.

I love all of his books an that was one of the ones I read on Tillman. Also read one by his mother.

I just find it interesting that A speculates about Tillman, and then B responds with speculation about Tillman, and you seem to object to B. If your problem is really speculating about how a dead guy might feel about his name being used to score political points, you should have objected to A. But you didn't.
Was A speculation? I don’t think so.

I have the one by his mom on my Kindle. I just haven't gotten to it. So much reading to do with not enough time.

Into Thin Air by Krakauer was my favorite. I have never read a book where I couldn't wait to get to the next page. My heart was actually pounding reading that book. Under the Banner of Heaven was fantastic too. I never knew anything about Mormons before that book. Fascinating read.

Both great books...and don't forget "Into the Wild".

The Green Beret was former long snapper Nate Boyer and in this video he explains his interactions with Kaep and how he came to understand what the protest was all about.

I'm surprised that none of the posters here who falsely claim Kaep took a knee to disrespect the Flag or the Anthem or our MIlitary has responded to this video and admitted they got it wrong. It's disappointing that those specific posters erroneously conclude that someone has a right to be offended when their offense is based on ignorance and intolerance.

Kaep switched from sitting to taking a knee precisely to show respect. This video is conclusive proof of that. Hey guys, I know it takes guts to admit you were wrong but when it's true, admitting you were wrong is the right thing to do. Man up.

Thanks for digging up the video, DrHoops. You're a great poster!

Last edited:
I don't think they invaded Iwo Jima (thank you, Aloha) for "The Flag". They did it for their country and raised the US flag over the island when they succeeded.
Actually that isn’t quite right. The flag raising was early in the campaign within the first week of the battle. The battle for Iwo Jima continued for about 6 more weeks after the flag raising if my Marine Corps history hasn’t failed me. The flag raising was to INSPIRE the Marines to move inland.

I think I know what you are getting at and I actually agree with you. It has been my experience the people on the ground engaged in the fight are not fighting for a flag and at the moment not necessarily a country. You are focused on survival and the guy next to you. But the symbol of the flag does become important and can inspire, motivate, and cause people to do uncommon things.

The island campaigns were brutal. I think Tarawa was a 90% death rate. The waters were turned red around the island. The men who fought those battles are larger than life in the Marine Corps. They are the measuring stick all Marines measure themselves against I think. Trying to bring them into this discussion is just..... ick

Yeah I can’t believe that thread wasn’t pulled. And last I looked, no one had even commented on it, I guess just like with Trump, we just take both his racism and his homophobia for granted now.
Wait a minute, why is the phrase “wise Caucasian” racist? Does that mean wise African American is also racist?

I fully realize we live in a world where “all lives matter” and “we are all one race” is considered racist(which I don’t agree with), but I hadn’t heard about this one.

It's disappointing that those specific posters erroneously conclude that someone has a right to be offended when their offense is based on ignorance and intolerance.

Kaep switched from sitting to taking a knee precisely to show respect. This video is conclusive proof of that. Hey guys, I know it takes guts to admit you were wrong but when it's true, admitting you were wrong is the right thing to do. Man up.
So once again you’ve decided you’re the final judge on what people can find offensive although you’ve said more than once that you’re not. That this is contrary to what you’ve posted here previously about who determines what is offensive doesn’t phase you at all. Some would call that hypocrisy, but I don’t wish to offend you - if hypocrisy doesn’t offend you than man up and accept it. ;)

As for the ad, I’ve watched it and I like it. However, it doesn’t prove, even a little bit, much less conclusively, that C.K. took a knee to show respect. His contemporaneous statement as to why he did it is far more conclusive evidence that respecting the flag, anthem and country were not part of his equation.

I’ve said all along that I get why he did it. I sympathize with his cause. He had the right to do it since there were no rules against it. He has the right to think it was helpful to his cause. And I think it may have been initially, but I doubt continuing the kneeling by him or others is helpful now because now people generally see the kneeling as the issue, not CK’s cause. Finally, those who took/take offense to his violating the long time protocol for behavior during the National Anthem also have a right to take offense to that.

It’s all actually pretty straightforward and simple. You should stop pushing your theory that kneeling is essentially always respectful in all situations. It’s convoluted and forced. It makes no sense. However, it’s certainly your right to push it in your Lone Ranger way (far as I can tell very few people, if any, have bought into your theory).

Last edited:
Reactions: CO. Hoosier
Wait a minute, why is the phrase “wise Caucasian” racist? Does that mean wise African American is also racist?

I fully realize we live in a world where “all lives matter” and “we are all one race” is considered racist(which I don’t agree with), but I hadn’t heard about this one.

The post was clearly a troll, and uses Kavanaugh's whiteness as the bait. Is it really noteworthy that another Caucasian joins the Supreme Court?

The suggestion is that he overcame great odds to do so, which mocks the very real obstacles that are still faced by African Americans.

I think Under the Banner of Heaven was my favorite. Learned so much from it.

Some of you people seriously need to get out more. Neither of those would be appropriate. Can you imagine a headline like that? Lol.

As for the ad, I’ve watched it and I like it. However, it doesn’t prove, even a little bit, much less conclusively, that C.K. took a knee to show respect. His contemporaneous statement as to why he did it is far more conclusive evidence that respecting the flag, anthem and country were not part of his equation.
Okay, now I understand your confusion. His statement about why he did came after the first time he sat, during the preseason. He sat for a couple of games, iiuc, then talked with Nate Boyer, who suggested he kneel respectfully, which Kaep then did. You see, Aloha, I'm not decided what you or anyone else should be offended by. Have at it. Be offended when you want for whatever reason you want. I'm just pointing out that in this case, people being offended "because Kaep is disrespecting the Flag or the Anthem or the Military by kneeling" are wrong that that's why he's kneeling. He's not kneeling to show disrespect. Fact. Not opinion. Fact.

And when I say admit that you're wrong, I'm not saying admit you're wrong to be offended. I'm saying admit you're wrong that Kaep kneeled to show disrespect. Dead. Flat. Wrong. That is, what you say here is dead flat wrong:
The only question that remains is, are you wiling to confront the truth?

Yeah, I loved how he intertwined the history of Mormonism with the murders that took place. Fascinating.

I think Under the Banner of Heaven was my favorite. Learned so much from it.

Okay, now I understand your confusion. His statement about why he did came after the first time he sat, during the preseason. He sat for a couple of games, iiuc, then talked with Nate Boyer, who suggested he kneel respectfully, which Kaep then did. You see, Aloha, I'm not decided what you or anyone else should be offended by. Have at it. Be offended when you want for whatever reason you want. I'm just pointing out that in this case, people being offended "because Kaep is disrespecting the Flag or the Anthem or the Military by kneeling" are wrong that that's why he's kneeling. He's not kneeling to show disrespect. Fact. Not opinion. Fact.

And when I say admit that you're wrong, I'm not saying admit you're wrong to be offended. I'm saying admit you're wrong that Kaep kneeled to show disrespect. Dead. Flat. Wrong. That is, what you say here is dead flat wrong:The only question that remains is, are you wiling to confront the truth?
Oh, you mean the guy that thought sitting during the National Anthem was disrespectful, but talked to Kaepernick and came to the conclusion that kneeling would be less disrespectful than sitting. I’d agree that kneeling is less disrespectful than sitting. I would not agree that Kaepernick intended to show actual respect to the flag, anthem or country. He never says that.

Last edited:
Oh, you mean the guy that thought sitting during the National Anthem was disrespectful, but talked to Kaepernick and came to the conclusion that kneeling would be less disrespectful than sitting. I’d agree that kneeling is less disrespectful than sitting. I would not agree that Kaepernick intended to show actual respect to the fag, anthem or country. He never says that.

That's sure to be a typo in your penultimate sentence, but you know that some will turn it into something else altogether.

Oh, you mean the guy that thought sitting during the National Anthem was disrespectful, but talked to Kaepernick and came to the conclusion that kneeling would be less disrespectful than sitting. I’d agree that kneeling is less disrespectful than sitting. I would not agree that Kaepernick intended to show actual respect to the flag, anthem or country. He never says that.
Kaep switched from sitting to kneeling. Actions speak louder than words. At least for most of us.

Kaep switched from sitting to kneeling. Actions speak louder than words. At least for most of us.
Because it was less disrespectful, not because it was respectful. It’s clear cut. His protest is only notable because it was NOT respectful toward the Anthem, flag or country. His own words only reinforce that.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
Dmq60KAWsAIUYsI

Last edited:

Kaep switched from sitting to kneeling because he attracted more attention to himself by kneeling next to standing players than he did by sitting his ass on a bench by himself in the back where nobody paid much attention to him.

Kaep switched from sitting to kneeling because he attracted more attention to himself by kneeling next to standing players than he did by sitting his ass on a bench by himself in the back where nobody paid much attention to him.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried:

U.S. Army veteran Nate Boyer convinced Colin Kaepernick to kneel, rather than sit, while protesting police brutality during the national anthem.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

There's 236 other links if you want to check them out as well.

I only knew CK was kneeling or sitting because of people like you who got all upset by it.

Reactions: meridian

U.S. Army veteran Nate Boyer convinced Colin Kaepernick to kneel, rather than sit, while protesting police brutality during the national anthem.

Snopes schmopes. Kneeling is wrong because Trump and Aloha say so. Don't you dare kneel at the alter or when asking your belle to marry you. Kneeling is wrong wrong wrong. Tradition! Oh yeah, and there is no systemic racism in the US. System racism is gone gone gone. All black die old of natural causes or because they f..k up.

Tradition. It's how we keep our balance...

Or at least how we keep our ballast.

Okay. I stand corrected. Kaep isn't my hobby. But he is still more narcissistic about the issue, and Nike is more mercenary, than either of them are about correcting social wrongs.* All the discussion is about Kaep and how "courageous" HE is. The Nike ad ditto. Any conversation about improving policing and interactions in the 'hood with cops is incidental.

Actions indeed speak louder than words.

*nobody on the board or in this thread mentioned the Know Your Rights campaign. Many probably haven't heard of it. There is a lot to commend with that campaign (although I have some nits to pick about it). It's really disappointing that Nike hasn't thrown in with that. Probably the Nike gurus saw no marketing advantage.

Snopes schmopes. Kneeling is wrong because Trump and Aloha say so. Don't you dare kneel at the alter or when asking your belle to marry you. Kneeling is wrong wrong wrong. Tradition! Oh yeah, and there is no systemic racism in the US. System racism is gone gone gone. All black die old of natural causes or because they f..k up.

Geeze, are you a dumbass. You contribute nothiing around here.

It's not fair to Aloha to compare him to Trump who is being his usual total dick self on the issue. He's dividing the country on the anthem. Aloha isn't doing that and you aren't being fair to his position. I supported Kaep's protest because I think it did a great job for focusing some more attention on the issue of police disproportionately killing people of color. People paid attention to Kaep's protest BECAUSE he was NOT respecting the traditional way of behaving during the anthem. Aloha also said that and I think he's right. I'd be lying if I said I thought Kaep was paying respect to the flag and country with his protest because that wasn't Kaep's intention and the protest was effective because of it.

I think it's a real shame that Kaep isn't at least a backup QB on an NFL team. He's better than most backups in the league. He could start for probably a third of the teams. I say thank you to Kaep for the protest and what he's done to focus attention on an important issue and I hope he wins his lawsuit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT