ADVERTISEMENT

People are actually burning Nike shoes and apparel...

Ask Kaepernick this question:

Is kneeling during the playing of the National Anthem meant to show respect for the Anthem, flag, and the United States?

If he answers “yes” than his protest makes no sense at all.
I suspect his answer would be, "It's intended to be a respectful method of protest" or something along those lines. If he wanted to disrespect the anthem, flag and US, he'd pull out a flag during the anthem and burn it.

Do you get this shit from somewhere, or just make it up as you go along?
My first distinct memory of the NFL is watching with my Dad. In Super Bowl I, before it was even called the Super Bowl, we watched the Packers beat the Chiefs. Then the next year we watched the Packers beat the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl, which is the greatest game in my romantic football memory. Then I watched the Packers beat Daryl Lamonica's Raiders in Super Bowl II, and was shocked when Joe Namath's Jets beat the Colts in Super Bowl III.

This is not to say that my lifetime passion for the sport makes me an expert on NFL football. My fantasy football selections routinely suggest that I know nothing of the game. But it does mean that I scoff at posters who profess to have deep insights but know nothing of the game. As for example with economics or climate science, which they may also know nothing about.

I suspect his answer would be, "It's intended to be a respectful method of protest" or something along those lines. If he wanted to disrespect the anthem, flag and US, he'd pull out a flag during the anthem and burn it.
M4AMFF5QWI4VBDCNCWAFTMDENY.jpg

Since you've apologized for this mistake, Let's move on to a broader issue. And an open question to the RATIONAL members of the board who take issue with (mainly) Black NFL players kneeling/sitting during the NA at sporting events...

Do you have issues with members of groups like the Amish, Quakers, Mennonites, Jehovah's Witnesses etc who display similar conduct when the NA is played, Pledge is recited, Flag is displayed etc...? Not all react uniformly, but to varying degrees members of those groups behave in a non-traditional manner to events the majority would describe as "patriotic". Do you have issues with that, and if not Why?

Basically what am I missing? Eight million Jehovah's Witnesses don't salute the flag; 200,000 Amish don't stand for the National Anthem. Some Quakers don't recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Black NFL players kneel respectfully and all hell breaks loose.

Tell me why this isn't (at least subconsciously) a racial issue?

First of all I don’t consider the conduct of certain religious groups as being “similar conduct” as the NFL players. KP and the religious groups are very specific about why they do what they do. The reasons are quite different. KP is evangelizing his actions, the religious folks are simply following a particular belief about the symbolism of sovereign authority.

Good point though.

Do you get this shit from somewhere, or just make it up as you go along?

I’ll rephrase:

When Kaep switched from sitting to kneeling he attracted more attention to himself by kneeling next to standing players than he did by sitting his ass on a bench by himself in the back where nobody paid much attention to him.

The point is largely the same which is: he is playing “look at me”. He had some leverage with Nike and he used the leverage to play more “look at me”.

I’ll rephrase:

When Kaep switched from sitting to kneeling he attracted more attention to himself by kneeling next to standing players than he did by sitting his ass on a bench by himself in the back where nobody paid much attention to him.

The point is largely the same which is: he is playing “look at me”. He had some leverage with Nike and he used the leverage to play more “look at me”.
Well done, you made your post even dumber. ;) Now it's clear you understand that Kaep played "look at me" because there's actually no police brutality and other discrimination against blacks.

shutterstock_79547737_man-in-bubble.jpg

Well done, you made your post even dumber. ;) Now it's clear you understand that Kaep played "look at me" because there's actually no police brutality and other discrimination against blacks.

shutterstock_79547737_man-in-bubble.jpg

No. He is playing “look at me” because of discrimination against blacks. The issue is not about him. But that is what everyone, including KP and Nike make it.

I’ll rephrase:

My question remains open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT