ADVERTISEMENT

People are actually burning Nike shoes and apparel...

Your thinking about this issue this morning only happened because CK stuck to his principles despite the controversy. Nike is taking a gamble, but they're backing the right side. I hope they sell millions of shoes as a result.

Um no. My thinking on this issue has been unchanged since Kaepernick was a child.

I also believe that Kaepernick and Nike are sticking to the principle of making money. The second rate QB gets paid like a superstar for his position. A position he did not really start to publically push until he was no longer viewed as starter material. Hey, everybody has to make a buck I suppose.

Reactions: herrli
Um no. My thinking on this issue has been unchanged since Kaepernick was a child.

I also believe that Kaepernick and Nike are sticking to the principle of making money. The second rate QB gets paid like a superstar for his position. A position he did not really start to publically push until he was no longer viewed as starter material. Hey, everybody has to make a buck I suppose.
How sad that you think no one has any principles or ethics they stand up for any more. I guess in the day and age of Trump, that would be the given.

No! They should be protesting quietly in a corner where nobody notices. How dare they raise an issue and protest in a public way.

Also, don;t wear a Handmaids Tale outfit to protest either. That too is somehow wrong.

It seems there is no legitimate way to protest these days. Can someone write a book on proper protests please.

Peacefully is no good:

29906170001_5122382393001_5122381377001-vs.jpg

handmaids-tale-protesters-2-gty-mem-180904_hpEmbed_24x11_992.jpg

Violently is not good:

57a4d1933ed8b.image.jpg

Are people just not to protest anymore. Should they just shut up and deal with it? What is an acceptable protest if peaceful and violent are not allowed?

It seems to me people just don't like being confronted with difficult issues and want people to STFU so they can ignore it.

Here is Nation Anthem etiquette. I imagine most of these are broken before every game by most people, but that is of no consequence I suppose. Only the one guy peacefully protesting is wrong. People are really selective in their outrage.

https://www.mannersmentor.com/12-mo...e-of-allegiance-and-national-anthem-etiquette
Oh the Handmaid are a hot button topic for COH and a few of his other buddies. How can women be taken seriously? Minorities and women are waiting on proper protest booklet from the OWM in power . I’m sure they will get us one eventually. And we will be ever so grateful.

they are not protesting on their own time.

they are protesting while at work.

were they doing it on their own time, i think most detractors would see this very differently, and they'd still get the media's attention.

but maybe they're too busy with other things when not at work.

they took something that was about something else and someone else, and hijacked it to be all about them.

the great protests of our time took great effort and time and sacrifice from all those participating.

these NFL players are not contributing so much as one single ounce of effort or one second of their own time on this.

and if they want to in act change, there are so many better causes they could serve.
Maybe you might do a bit of research to actually see what some of these players are doing on their own time. Because you’re either ignorant of such or lying. Really? There’s a better cause than trying to prevent black kids from getting killed? Again, you feel it’s up to you to choose a time , a place, and even now you want to choose what they feel strongly enough about to protest? Wow.

How sad that you think no one has any principles or ethics they stand up for any more. I guess in the day and age of Trump, that would be the given.

Quite a leap from Kaepernick and Nike to no one. We are talking about one specific guy and one specific company that did 2 years of market research before jumping on the BLM train.

Maybe you might do a bit of research to actually see what some of these players are doing on their own time. Because you’re either ignorant of such or lying. Really? There’s a better cause than trying to prevent black kids from getting killed? Again, you feel it’s up to you to choose a time , a place, and even now you want to choose what they feel strongly enough about to protest? Wow.

what a disingenuous post.

no one is criticizing what they do on their own time, are they.

and framing this as saving black kids lives is ridiculous.

don't run from the vehicle when you're stopped by the cops with your back window shot out because you were just involved in a drive by, and good chance you won't get shot.

it's not the cops black kids in the hood need to fear most.

have there been egregious shootings, yes. but it's a fraction of a fraction of a percent, and egregious shootings of whites as well.

there have been isolated disgraceful incidents, (kid in park in Cleveland, woman in Texas, others i'm sure), but a lot of these are much less cut and dry.

imo there are better causes and better forums.

this has become a public pissing contest more than a protest.

Reactions: herrli and IUCrazy2

My point was to suggest that if it weren't for CK and Nike none of us would be thinking or talking about the problem of policing low-income minority neighborhoods.

It's a tough problem and I don't disagree with your posts above about the challengers for cops. But we shouldn't wait for more cities to go up in flames before trying to improve things again.

My point was to suggest that if it weren't for CK and Nike none of us would be thinking or talking about the problem of policing low-income minority neighborhoods.

It's a tough problem and I don't disagree with your posts above about the challengers for cops. But we shouldn't wait for more cities to go up in flames before trying to improve things again.
#MakeAmericaWhiteAgain

if it weren't for CK and Nike none of us would be thinking or talking about the problem of policing low-income minority neighborhood

Wait a second... are people actually talking about this problem? I thought everyone is just talking about CK and his whether or not they feel it is disrespectful or justified that he kneels. Isn't that the very problem? Nothing has changed, and one could argue, perhaps they have gotten worse since he began his protests. Maybe that is because nobody is actually focused on the issue that he claims to be protesting for?

Wait a second... are people actually talking about this problem? I thought everyone is just talking about CK and his whether or not they feel it is disrespectful or justified that he kneels. Isn't that the very problem? Nothing has changed, and one could argue, perhaps they have gotten worse since he began his protests. Maybe that is because nobody is actually focused on the issue that he claims to be protesting for?
I think you have a good point. Kaep's "issue" has been overwhelmed by the butthurt.

Reactions: hoosboot

True, but at least most people give lip-service to acknowledging the real problem before giving their opinion about CK. Probably as close as we're going to get to a national dialogue any time soon without more riots.

what a disingenuous post.

no one is criticizing what they do on their own time, are they.

and framing this as saving black kids lives is ridiculous.

don't run from the vehicle when you're stopped by the cops with your back window shot out because you were just involved in a drive by, and good chance you won't get shot.

it's not the cops black kids in the hood need to fear most.

have there been egregious shootings, yes. but it's a fraction of a fraction of a percent, and egregious shootings of whites as well.

there have been isolated disgraceful incidents, (kid in park in Cleveland, woman in Texas, others i'm sure), but a lot of these are much less cut and dry.

imo there are better causes and better forums.

this has become a public pissing contest more than a protest.
Sorry, not responding to someone trying to impress us with his intelligence that hasn’t even learned , or chooses not to use basic punctuation skills. Bye.

And Nike thinks there is a buck to be made off of African American men who view their shoes as a status symbol. They are doubling down on this demographic to help shore up their shrinking market share to Adidas among young kids. More power to them but usually the behavior they are engaging in is the type of thing that you all criticize.

Nike made a big fan out of this white male, so they're not just appealing to the African Americans here. It's refreshing to see a corporation take a strong stance on the right side of an issue. Seems like quite the anomaly to me, and I hope they sell a lot of shoes.

Also, you're forgetting that Nike is a worldwide brand, and people in other parts of the world won't be concerned about a guy who's protesting "at the wrong time".

Reactions: DrHoops
No! They should be protesting quietly in a corner where nobody notices. How dare they raise an issue and protest in a public way.

Also, don;t wear a Handmaids Tale outfit to protest either. That too is somehow wrong.

It seems there is no legitimate way to protest these days. Can someone write a book on proper protests please.

Peacefully is no good:

29906170001_5122382393001_5122381377001-vs.jpg

handmaids-tale-protesters-2-gty-mem-180904_hpEmbed_24x11_992.jpg

Violently is not good:

57a4d1933ed8b.image.jpg

Are people just not to protest anymore. Should they just shut up and deal with it? What is an acceptable protest if peaceful and violent are not allowed?

It seems to me people just don't like being confronted with difficult issues and want people to STFU so they can ignore it.

Here is Nation Anthem etiquette. I imagine most of these are broken before every game by most people, but that is of no consequence I suppose. Only the one guy peacefully protesting is wrong. People are really selective in their outrage.

https://www.mannersmentor.com/12-mo...e-of-allegiance-and-national-anthem-etiquette
Whoever wrote that protocol did OK, but it’s not 100% accurate. Navy personnel (active or veteran) don’t salute uncovered and it’s an option to stand at attention during the anthem. However, a vet could salute if he/she desires.

The choice of Kaepernick as a spokesman is a calculated risk for Nike. They would not "just do it" without research. The people it will anger the most aren't buying a lot of shoes or Nike swag.

In these days of division, some will see wearing Nike as showing support for kneeling. The majority of people don't care. They buy the shoes they like and don't care about the social statement.

Nike will judge the success of their action based on sales. I wish them luck. It would be interesting to see how committed Nike is to the cause if sales begin to drop.

The dufuses burning their Nike gear out of pure and unadulterated ignorance are protesting a man with infinitely more courage than they'll ever conceive of.

Reactions: hoosboot
I think you have a good point. Kaep's "issue" has been overwhelmed by the butthurt.

On the one hand, it generated a tremendous amount of discussion. But, if the discussion is not on the right "issue", then all it's done is divide the NFL and its viewership without actually making any progress.

Sorry, not responding to someone trying to impress us with his intelligence that hasn’t even learned , or chooses not to use basic punctuation skills. Bye.

i do that in protest of poverty and hunger in 3rd world countries.

i have no idea how you have a problem with that, but i guess you and others are just cold and uncaring of those who have less opportunity than you.

On the one hand, it generated a tremendous amount of discussion. But, if the discussion is not on the right "issue", then all it's done is divide the NFL and its viewership without actually making any progress.

Hmmmm...who has been at the center of trying to distract from the issue that CK and other NFL players were focused on?

Reactions: Cortez88
The choice of Kaepernick as a spokesman is a calculated risk for Nike. They would not "just do it" without research. The people it will anger the most aren't buying a lot of shoes or Nike swag.

In these days of division, some will see wearing Nike as showing support for kneeling. The majority of people don't care. They buy the shoes they like and don't care about the social statement.

Nike will judge the success of their action based on sales. I wish them luck. It would be interesting to see how committed Nike is to the cause if sales begin to drop.

As someone pointed out, Nike (and other sportswear apparel manufacturers) lost in term of share prices yesterday. But there is another side to the story, as Millennials are snapping up Nike shares at the lower price...

"News that Nike had chosen Colin Kaepernick, the polarizing leader of NFL protests during the national anthem, as the 30th anniversary face of its "Just Do It" advertising campaign sent shares down more than 3% on Tuesday.

But while many investors were shedding the stock, traders on Robinhood were doing the exact opposite, the no-fee brokerage told Business Insider.

"Investors on Robinhood are buying Nike stock 300% more than they are selling, compared to 12% last week," Sahill Poddar, the app's data scientist, said Tuesday. "Investors in Oregon, where Nike is headquartered, are buying the stock 850% more than they are selling."

Nike is currently the 52nd most-popular stock on the brokerage, and has seen its holdings skyrocket thanks to the campaign. Twenty-two thousand investors currently hold the stock on the app, Robinhood's website shows, up 18% from less than a week ago, according to Business Insider's tracking of the data.

Robinhood users tend to skew much younger than traditional brokerages, and as Business Insider's Josh Barro points out, it's clear that Nike has decided to double down on this under-35 demographic as it seeks to reinvent itself.

"Companies are maximizing profits as they always did, but they're responding to incentives that have shifted to encourage political participation by brands," Barro wrote.

"As more consumers come to expect brands to reflect their moral and political values, a brand that takes a side on a controversial issue can strengthen its bond with a consumer segment, making them willing to buy more or to buy at a higher price."

https://markets.businessinsider.com...lennials-snapping-up-shares-2018-9-1027507438

Wait, what? You actually think it’s the kneeling itself that people took offense too with Kap, and not the time he chose to do it?

Please tell me you’re not serious. You can’t be.
Don't be braindead. The Butthurts invented the fiction that kneeling is disrespecting anything at all. After inventing that fiction, they then took offense at the fiction of their own making. Kinda like you in this thread.

Thanks for proving that offense at Kaep's kneeling is equally stupid. Is the Flag being disrespected? Ask it... :rolleyes:
Talk about braindead. Is the act of kneeling during the national anthem ion defiance of protocol offensive to others? That’s the actual question.

Don't be braindead. The Butthurts invented the fiction that kneeling is disrespecting anything at all. After inventing that fiction, they then took offense at the fiction of their own making. Kinda like you in this thread.
Okay, so respecting the flag is an invention of idiots, who only did so to be offended by Kaps kneeling.

That may be the most asinine thing I’ve heard today.

Talk about braindead. Is the act of kneeling during the national anthem ion defiance of protocol offensive to others? That’s the actual question.
Link the "protocol" for civilian citizens. Plus, link or give any example of kneeling being disrespectful.

Respectful:
1. Kneeling in supplication to God.
2. Kneeling when praying.
3. Kneeling before the monarch or despot.
4. Kneeling when asking a woman (or man) for their hand in marriage.

Interestingly, animals even show deference to more powerful animals or humans by lowering their body.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoot1
Okay, so respecting the flag is an invention of idiots, who only did so to be offended by Kaps kneeling.

That may be the most asinine thing I’ve heard today.
Do I need to plead with you not to be braindead? Kneeling is a time-honored form of respect, get it? Kneeling before _________ (fill in the noun) is showing respect to (noun). What's new is calling kneeling disrespectful. Never before in history has kneeling been disrespectful. Get it?

Link the "protocol" for civilian citizens. Plus, link or give any example of kneeling being disrespectful.

Respectful:
1. Kneeling in supplication to God.
2. Kneeling when praying.
3. Kneeling before the monarch or despot.
4. Kneeling when asking a woman (or man) for their hand in marriage.

Interestingly, animals even show deference to more powerful animals or humans by lowering their body.
It’s already been linked and you apparently haven’t read it. Kneeling during the national anthem is not respectful. Your theory, as usual, is ridiculous. futueteipsum

https://thelutchmanwire.com/2018/09...pernick-a-message-on-sacrifice-its-priceless/

“How about other warriors? Warriors who will not be on magazine covers, who will not get lucrative contracts and millions of followers from their actions and who have truly sacrificed everything,” Kyle asked. “They did it because they believed in something. Take it from me, when I say they sacrificed everything, they also sacrificed the lives of their loved ones who will never be the same. THAT is sacrificing everything for something they believe in.”

It’s already been linked and you apparently haven’t read it. Kneeling during the national anthem is not respectful. Your theory, as usual, is ridiculous. futueteipsum
Link it again, bitch.

In any case, evidently you can't give a historical example of kneeling being disrespectful, because there is none.

Link it again, bitch.

In any case, evidently you can't give a historical example of kneeling being disrespectful, because there is none.
You should read the links when provided, but only an idiot doesn’t know the proper protocol for the national anthem. Are you an idiot or just pretending to be an idiot? futueteipsum

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT