ADVERTISEMENT

People are actually burning Nike shoes and apparel...

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
This is so silly.

Nevermind the fact that by most accounts, people are burning and destroying their own clothing they've already paid for, people are STILL missing the point of Colin Kaepernick's protest. No one is disrespecting our veterans by kneeling during the National Anthem.

If people not standing at attention is the paramount of respect for veterans, then people who are offended by anyone not doing that should probably roam the corridors of any college or pro sports games to wrangle up all the people buying beers, going to the bathroom, buying merchandise or doing that last shot before heading into the game.

What's ironic is that had no one really made a fuss about it, Kaepernick would have faded out of the news cycle and into relative obscurity long ago. He'd be the answer to a trivia question at best. I can't believe this is the hill conservatives decided to die on.

And for the record, my buying habits won't be changing. I'm not buying anything to feign any type of perceived solidarity with Nike, nor am I going out of my way NOT to buy anything with the swoosh on it. If Nike running shorts are cheaper than Brooks' or Under Armour's the day I walk into the store, then that's what I'll buy.

and I saw this right after my last post:

40809296_10215072943811396_5088378996886863872_n.jpg

That's just funny right there. It's funny because it's true.

This is so silly.

Nevermind the fact that by most accounts, people are burning and destroying their own clothing they've already paid for, people are STILL missing the point of Colin Kaepernick's protest. No one is disrespecting our veterans by kneeling during the National Anthem.

If people not standing at attention is the paramount of respect for veterans, then people who are offended by anyone not doing that should probably roam the corridors of any college or pro sports games to wrangle up all the people buying beers, going to the bathroom, buying merchandise or doing that last shot before heading into the game.

What's ironic is that had no one really made a fuss about it, Kaepernick would have faded out of the news cycle and into relative obscurity long ago. He'd be the answer to a trivia question at best. I can't believe this is the hill conservatives decided to die on.

And for the record, my buying habits won't be changing. I'm not buying anything to feign any type of perceived solidarity with Nike, nor am I going out of my way NOT to buy anything with the swoosh on it. If Nike running shorts are cheaper than Brooks' or Under Armour's the day I walk into the store, then that's what I'll buy.

Meanwhile...

Shares are down 2.73% in heavy trading

https://yhoo.it/2oFFdVq

This is so silly.

I'm not a veteran, but if they state the kneeling is disrespectful, then that should be respected.

This is so silly.

I thought CK was kneeling because he said a veteran had told him that was the respectful way to protest during the anthem.

Reactions: dahldc and baileyiu
I'm not a veteran, but if they state the kneeling is disrespectful, then that should be respected.

Veterans are split on that, lol.

I think being disrespectful is wiping your butt with the flag or turning your back on it, not kneeling (which shows respect).

I think being disrespectful is wiping your butt with the flag or turning your back on it, not kneeling (which shows respect).

The flag is a red herring anyway. The flag flies above every stadium during a game. If at any point during a game anyone has sat down, they have sat in front of the flag.

The question is the Anthem. As near as I can tell the Anthem is not property of the military, it belongs to all of us. This anthem is your anthem, this anthem is my anthem. If one wants to kneel in front of their anthem it would seem to be their right.

It's far from an even split.

Kneeling during the national.anthem shows disrespect for the traditional protocol for personal American behavior during the National Anthem at the very least. Besides CK said he was kneeling in order to not show respect for a country that disproportionately kills people of color, or words to that effect, right?

I understand CK's concern for the issue.. We should all have concern for it. I think he chose the wrong way to express it. Most don't even think of that issue when they see the kneeling. They are disrespect for the country they love. That's all, whether we like it or not.

The flag is a red herring anyway. The flag flies above every stadium during a game. If at any point during a game anyone has sat down, they have sat in front of the flag.

The question is the Anthem. As near as I can tell the Anthem is not property of the military, it belongs to all of us. This anthem is your anthem, this anthem is my anthem. If one wants to kneel in front of their anthem it would seem to be their right.
Come on, Marvin! It's never been disrespect to sit in the presence of a flying US flag. That's silly.

Last edited:
I’ve worn New Balance running shoes (for actual running) for almost 30 years. Is there something humorous about that?
A co-worker who is usually up on this stuff just told me that New Balance shoes have been adopted as part of the alt-right uniform. Just sayin'.

Reactions: largemouth
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...81fd63f174d_story.html?utm_term=.cc9a34be2bf5

Andrew Anglin, founder of the Daily Stormer website, declared New Balance the "official shoes of white people" after an executive of the Boston shoe company praised Trump's stance on trade soon after he was elected. Liberals tweeted pictures of themselves trashing or burning their New Balance sneakers.​
That's so ridiculous i assumed you were joking. Guess the black guys at my gym didn't get the memo either. New Balance shoes adorn the feet of many. Moonbats and Wingnuts aren't mainstream Americans.

This is so silly.

Playing the anthem before sporting events is stupid anyway. The anthem should be for national events, not every goofy sporting event going imho. Trump just hijacked and issue because he is a big ole phony patriot...draft dodging coward parading as a patriot...only the dumbest of the dumb can fall for that shyte.

hard to separate the two when they go hand in hand.
Hmm, you just said it is ok to sit before the flag, now you seem to suggest kneeling for the anthem is the same as kneeling for the flag?

The military does not own the anthem, nor the flag for that matter. Am I wrong in that? The anthem belongs to all of us.

It's far from an even split.

Kneeling during the national.anthem shows disrespect for the traditional protocol for personal American behavior during the National Anthem at the very least. Besides CK said he was kneeling in order to not show respect for a country that disproportionately kills people of color, or words to that effect, right?

I understand CK's concern for the issue.. We should all have concern for it. I think he chose the wrong way to express it. Most don't even think of that issue when they see the kneeling. They are disrespect for the country they love. That's all, whether we like it or not.
Aren't military members actually required to stand and salute the flag during the national anthem?

Hmm, you just said it is ok to sit before the flag, now you seem to suggest kneeling for the anthem is the same as kneeling for the flag?

The military does not own the anthem, nor the flag for that matter. Am I wrong in that? The anthem belongs to all of us.
Marvin, the anthem is played while the flag is raised or when the flag is presented by for the occasion. They go hand in hand. You know the traditional protocol for this occasion so let's not pretend you dont.

i never said the military owns the anthem - nor the flag. Not sure why you'd ask that. The.anthem and flag are far more significant than that. They represent the United States as a whole.

This is so silly.

But offense is taken, not given. At least, that’s what we hear about statues, confederate flags, the phrase “no homo” and a million other things.

So, if people are offended by the kneeling(and a whole lot are), than the reasons given by the kneelers have no bearing at all.

These are the rules of the game now. You can’t change them when they suddenly backfire on you.

But offense is taken, not given. At least, that’s what we hear about statues, confederate flags, the phrase “no homo” and a million other things.

So, if people are offended by the kneeling(and a whole lot are), than the reasons given by the kneelers have no bearing at all.

These are the rules of the game now. You can’t change them when they suddenly backfire on you.
That's a good point.

Marvin, the anthem is played while the flag is raised or when the flag is presented by for the occasion. They go hand in hand. You know the traditional protocol for this occasion so let's not pretend you dont.

i never said the military owns the anthem - nor the flag. Not sure why you'd ask that. The.anthem and flag are far more significant than that. They represent the United States as a whole.

You have not said that, but is is integral to the idea it is offensive to the military. If the anthem stands for every single American, kneeling is not an attack on the military.

You have not said that, but is is integral to the idea it is offensive to the military. If the anthem stands for every single American, kneeling is not an attack on the military.
I've not said it was disrespectful to the military. I think it is more significant than that.

No. He just reminded me of discussions here about who is allowed to determine what is offensive. Do you not remember those?

You might want to clarify what part you agree with since you quoted the whole post and identified it as a "good point". So, do you think that's the way it should be?

This anthem is made for you and me.

(Please tell me that was intentional.)
:D
It certainly was intentional. Our nation, our flag, our anthem, belong to all of us. Some on the right, not Aloha, say it is an insult to the military. It has nothing to do with the military, it is an attempt to show disappointment in where we all are.

ADVERTISEMENT