ADVERTISEMENT

Pentagon to mandate Vaccines

While it is concerning that anyone fighting for our country would need to be convinced much less mandated to get the shot...glad they are doing this to protect the troops and support staff.
If the FDA doesn’t give final authorization it will require a Presidential waiver to do this. By law the military can’t be forced to take the vaccine otherwise. They can mandate it for civilians without the waiver.

I had to process a Sailor out when I was XO of a frigate because he refused to take the Anthrax vaccine before we deployed to the Arabian Gulf. Kind of unfortunately for the Sailor we ended up having the deployment changed to WESTPAC where it wasn’t a requirement. He was already a civilian by that time.

I guess Crazy will not be enlisting now.
Lol..."ehhhh...screw you buddy"

For the record, I already have my shot but the military is not usually in the business of taking on 40+ year olds for basic training. And if I did, I wouldn't have to worry about COVID because basic would probably kill me anyway.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Lol..."ehhhh...screw you buddy"

For the record, I already have my shot but the military is not usually in the business of taking on 40+ year olds for basic training. And if I did, I wouldn't have to worry about COVID because basic would probably kill me anyway.
how is your cardio?

US govt. is an evil establishment. Dave Smith is the best.

Dave Smith drastically misses the point, but what he's missing is the microcosm of the macrocosm here. COVID restrictions aren't necessarily in place to protect an anti-vaxxer's individual health. They're in place to make sure his stupid anti-vaxxer stance doesn't infect/endanger everyone that asshat comes in contact with. That's the saddest part about all this. Some people honestly don't care that they're putting others at risk. They just care about their routine being disrupted.

If this weren't a highly contagious virus and you couldn't pass things onto others, we wouldn't be talking about vaccine mandates or restricting gym access. Dave Smith is an idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bawlmer
Dave Smith drastically misses the point, but what he's missing is the microcosm of the macrocosm here. COVID restrictions aren't necessarily in place to protect an anti-vaxxer's health individual health. They're in place to make sure his stupid anti-vaxxer stance doesn't infect/endanger everyone that asshat comes in contact with. That's the saddest part about all this. Some people honestly don't care that they're putting others at risk. They just care about their routine being disrupted.

If this weren't a highly contagious virus and you couldn't pass things onto others, we wouldn't be talking about vaccine mandates or restricting gym access. Dave Smith is an idiot.
the likelihood of hospitalizations/death for the vaccinated is 0.01 percent. far less than that of a car crash. we're already losing perspective

COVID restrictions aren't necessarily in place to protect an anti-vaxxer's health individual health. They're in place to make sure his stupid anti-vaxxer stance doesn't infect/endanger everyone that asshat comes in contact with.

Essentially, all of us are being inconvenienced to protect the morons from themselves.

If the FDA doesn’t give final authorization it will require a Presidential waiver to do this. By law the military can’t be forced to take the vaccine otherwise.
My understanding is that the holdup is the unbendable FDA requirement for review of 12 months of phase III clinial trial safety data. That pile will exist by the end of this month. Add a week or two for data review, and there should be no problem giving full approval to

Pfizer by mid September,
Moderna by early October, and
J&J by early December.

My understanding is that the holdup is the unbendable FDA requirement for review of 12 months of phase III clinial trial safety data. That pile will exist by the end of this month. Add a week or two for data review, and there should be no problem giving full approval to

Pfizer by mid September,
J&J by early December.
The Secretary of Defense's memo said he would seek the President's approval to make the vaccines mandatory no later than mid-September or immediately after the FDA gives full approval. My guess is that we won't be vaccinating the military until after FDA's approval. I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering my Airman to get vaccinated with the emergency use vaccine. Most of my people are vaccinated already but there are some that have decided not to also. I don't want to discharge any of them because they're good Airmen but might have to do that after it's mandatory.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Pfizer by mid September,
J&J by early December.
Once there's full approval for even one of them (and my understanding is that full approval for the Pfizer vaccine is likely by Labor Day), employers in droves are going to start requiring the vaccines, which is the right thing to do.

Unlike most countries, the US has more than enough vaccines for the entire population. The current surge wasn't inevitable, and is mostly the result of misinformation, ignorance and, in some cases, selfishness. Enough of this bullshit. Much like what the Pentagon is doing, private employers need to make the vaccine a condition of employment.

Reactions: outside shooter

Pfizer by mid September,
J&J by early December.
That's what I heard and I think the military will be getting Pfizer vaccinations starting after its approval mid Sep.

My employer just announced that everyone needs to get fully vaccinated by Sept 30 or they will be terminated.

Exceptions can only be granted on a case-by-case basis upon approval of the head of HR, and will by no means be easy to get.

I work with scientists, so we are 97% vaccinated anyway. There are a few administrative staff upset by it, including my own administrative assistant. It's unclear whether any are so upset as to quit.

My employer just announced that everyone needs to get fully vaccinated by Sept 30 or they will be terminated.

Exceptions can only be granted on a case-by-case basis upon approval of the head of HR, and will by no means be easy to get.

I work with scientists, so we are 97% vaccinated anyway. There are a few administrative staff upset by it, including my own administrative assistant. It's unclear whether any are so upset as to quit.
Is masking now required regardless of vax status?

Is masking now required regardless of vax status?
Yes, other than inside private offices. Meetings are back to zoom.

The only changes from last year is that 1) we haven't gone back to shift work requiring 50% or less to be present at any one time, and 2) testing isn't mandatory for everyone, just the unvaccinated, and is voluntary for everyone else, and 3) there's no travel ban, though testing & three days at home is required even for the vaccinated, after any travel

Enough vaccinated people are getting tested (it is encouraged, and required after travel) that they announced 3 infections amongst the vaccinated, this week. None serious, apparently. But that might soon result in required testing at least weekly even for the vaccinated. Not yet though.

Damn, I thought this shit was finally over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT