ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State lost at home to Iowa last year by 20

hoosierfan13

Benchwarmer
Nov 10, 2006
After that game they went 4-0 winning each game by an average of 19 points. They continued positive results this year beating Wisconsin in Madison.

This is a very well disciplined Hawkeye team that will likely win the Big Ten West this year and finish with 10+ wins. They deserve credit. Their DBs were outstanding in coverage. Their D-Line got pressure with 4 all the time.

We are fortunate to have Idaho next week to tune up for Cincinnati. Upsetting Cincinnati would turn this season around. Don't press the panic button unless Cincy beats us bad.

After that game they went 4-0 winning each game by an average of 19 points. They continued positive results this year beating Wisconsin in Madison.

This is a very well disciplined Hawkeye team that will likely win the Big Ten West this year and finish with 10+ wins. They deserve credit. Their DBs were outstanding in coverage. Their D-Line got pressure with 4 all the time.

We are fortunate to have Idaho next week to tune up for Cincinnati. Upsetting Cincinnati would turn this season around. Don't press the panic button unless Cincy beats us bad.
I have no problem giving Iowa credit. But, IU didn't do much right today, and that wasn't all because of Iowa. Most of IU's issues appear to be self-inflicted, which is concerning. Throwing 2 pick 6's is a death sentence, let alone the rest of the crappy play.

Reactions: UncleMark
Let’s see how they do against another ranked team in Iowa State next week. If their defense is also dominant, then they are likely for real. If not, then IU’s offense just stinks.

I have no problem giving Iowa credit. But, IU didn't do much right today, and that wasn't all because of Iowa. Most of IU's issues appear to be self-inflicted, which is concerning. Throwing 2 pick 6's is a death sentence, let alone the rest of the crappy play.
Both are true. We were not disciplined today. You will not win in Kinnick if you spot Iowa a 14 point lead 3 minutes into the game. Unless you're Alabama. I remember 2017 when Ohio State got beat 55-24 in Kinnick. That OSU team went on to win the Big Ten and beat USC by 17 in the Cotton Bowl.

Once Iowa got settled last year, they were dominant. Beat MSU 49-7. Won at PSU 41-21. Beat Wisconsin 28-7.

This is a potential 12-0 Hawkeye team. The loss stinks but it could be good for this team if they allow it to be.

Let’s see how they do against another ranked team in Iowa State next week. If their defense is also dominant, then they are likely for real. If not, then IU’s offense just stinks.

Iowa State is struggling at home with FCS Northern Iowa. I think Iowa beats them next week. Looking at their schedule they might be favored in every game they play. No OSU. No Michigan. Penn State in Kinnick. They have a bye week before traveling to Madison.

Could be both. That wasn't a good offensive showing.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Iowa St up by 6 on UNI with 2 minutes to go.

Can't ever take too much from one game, especially the opening one. If the teams line it up and play again, Iowa's lines on both sides of the ball are still going to impose their will and make it difficult, but undoubtedly Indiana would not make the errors they made today.

Iowa isn't going to automatically win the West. We Iowa fans have thought this Iowa team has all the pieces if the QB play can just be good, not great. Still waiting on an answer on that.

Indiana can still have a very good season. As an outsider, the part that was the most concerning was how Penix played. Iowa had 3 INT's, and could had their hands on 3-4 more. Some of those were thrown right to people. Iowa's defense is good, but not that good. Coming back from an ACL is never easy. If he shows marked improvement, I would take Indiana to win all the non-conference games and to have a good season. The East looks to be better this year as Penn State won at Wisconsin and Michigan State won at Northwestern, along with Maryland beating West Virginia.

Sadly, Iowa fans likely know their last double pick 6 game was a lost for the Hawkeyes in Big Ten, on the road.

Iowa's defense really has been playing well lately.

8 losses over last 31 games have all been 1, 2 or at worse, 7 points.

Iowa lost at Michigan in 2019 by 7.

If Parker is so good, why hasn’t someone offered him a better job?

I don't think he wants a head coaching job, or another job period.

And his pay (before performance bonuses) is pretty good for Iowa:

"Assuming Parker remains employed by the University of Iowa as of June 30, 2022, the Hawkeyes’ defensive coordinator will receive a one-time longevity payment of $210,000 to go with this $890,000 base salary. As of July 1, 2022, Parker’s base salary then increases to $1.1 million — a 23.6% raise — "plus any additional percentage increase awarded" per the terms of Ferentz’s contract."

I think he gets bonuses for # of wins, bowl games, etc. We're just Iowa, but that pretty decent money for an assistant up here.

Reactions: EarlTubbs

"Assuming Parker remains employed by the University of Iowa as of June 30, 2022, the Hawkeyes’ defensive coordinator will receive a one-time longevity payment of $210,000 to go with this $890,000 base salary. As of July 1, 2022, Parker’s base salary then increases to $1.1 million — a 23.6% raise — "plus any additional percentage increase awarded" per the terms of Ferentz’s contract."

I think he gets bonuses for # of wins, bowl games, etc. We're just Iowa, but that pretty decent money for an assistant up here.

So he wouldn’t take a Head Coaching job for 4 million a year?

• Haha
Reactions: EarlTubbs
Because your quarterback was confused from the start. He is not coached well enough to beat a Phil Parker defense.
Phil Parker does not do anything spectacular. They play a cover 2 with man under. What they do that is spectacular is they don’t make mistakes. They don’t blow coverages. What really helped the Iowa defense was getting a 14 point lead minutes into the game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If things don't change on offense then if I was coach Allen I would let Hiller and Sheridan go and get very good coaches as OC and OL as they aren't good about coaching players they have. I hope it changes but Hiller needs to go and get another coach, come on coach Allen we have seen for too long coach Hiller isn't a good OL coach and let coach Hiller go.

PSU played Michigan, Rutgers, MSU, and Illinois after losing to Iowa. None of those teams won more than 3 games that year.

So he wouldn’t take a Head Coaching job for 4 million a year?

No, I think he has said as much. And I think he has been approached. He's a lifer. I actually respct his position. He's happy making the money he does, and he doesn't want more headaches. You don't get that a lot in college football today, or anywhere for that matter.

I don't have first hand knowledge. It's been a long time since I've spoken to any of the coaching staff or administration, and I've never spoken to Parker, or even met him.

Reactions: Radio Zero

Correct. If he wanted to be a head coach, he would have been long before now. Or even a DC at higher profile schools. He's been pretty open that he doesn't like some of the aspects of the head job that it requires (the booster speaking circuit, less time coaching and more time overseeing, etc.) He likes coaching defense, and he works for a head coach who lets him do it.

Penn St. was besting Iowa last week, until Iowa knocked their starting QB out of the game. After that, it was all Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT