ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State 14 point favorites

Rule of thumb is 4 pts for college football home field. So that is 8 points there. I would imagine places like Happy Valley get an extra point or 2 in certain situations.

So in Bloomington it would be roughly 6 pt spread. Neutral field 10 pt.

Reactions: vesuvius13
We are making strides but we are not good enough to beat Penn St on the road yet.
But that’s why they play the game,you never know.
I’ll be happy with a competive and injury free game.
The last two are very winnable,9-3 would be outstanding.

Last edited:
The offense has to keep rolling, and then have a couple of takeaways on defense. I was there once and we played a terrible game, just two years after we only lost at State College by a touchdown.

We are making strides but we are not god enough to beat Penn St on the road yet.

I'm generally in favor of deferring to the 2nd half on the coin toss, but feel like PSU might be a game where we want to get the ball first and try to punch them in the mouth to see if they are mentally dialed in after their loss to Minny and with their OSU game the following week.

We are making strides but we are not god enough to beat Penn St on the road yet.

I doubt it will happen, but I feel a lot better about our chances of a big upset after we beat Nebraska.

Nebraska sucks but we did win the game in front of 95000........that sure helps with the psychology of the matter.

You know that expression "Every dog has his day"? Well, the dog known as IU football hasn't had a huge upset go our way in a long time........Missouri and Oregon come to mind, and both were pretty flukish and had no long-term effect.

There have been plenty of bigger upsets already this year: Ill over Wisky and over MSU on the road behind 28-3; KSU over OK; SC over Georgia; Wyoming over MO; GT over Miami; San Jose St. over Arkansas; Georgia St over TN; Citadel over GT.....

The difference of IU in this game vs the OSU game was Ramsey was getting back under center as a starter. We shifted players on defense (Harris, Riggins...etc) and the offense has become comfortable. We very well could go out and get smashed and odds are likely we end up losing but this team also could truly have become legitimate as the season has progressed. So I wouldn't be shocked if we went in and won which is not a typical statement.

Either way, it will be fun to watch college Gameday where an IU game will be reviewed and not just because of our opponent (since they review all ranked games). This game is a chance to put us ahead of Penn State and squarely in place for 2nd in the East. Lets go boys!

We beat MD 34-28. A week later, MN beat MD 52-10

MN beat NEB 34-7. A week later we beat NEB 38-31.

Yes, we were on the road, and MN at home. However the games were all on 10/12 & 10/26.

14 points looks about right. Had PSU played better against MN, win or lose, it would probably be 17.
Both Maryland and Minnesota had bye weeks before they played us. That is a huge advantage for them.

Nebraska, in particular, threw the kitchen sink at us with trick plays.

We just scored the most points against Northwestern other than Ohio State.

Penn State's pass defense looked pretty poor against Minnesota - we should be able to move the ball against them.

I'm hoping the 11am Kickoff works against p$u and they come out still down from their debacle at MN...

If we can jump on them early and stay with them midway through the 4th quarter then I like our Kicker better than theirs...

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
That's not bad. I think it'll tighten as the week goes on.

Already has

Opened 16.5

Most folks fail to calculate the Whop factor properly
We have scored 30+ on everybody but OSU.
Can we score 14 on Penn State? 17? More?

Last year we scored 30 only 4 times - twice out of conference.
We are better offensively this year.

They don't have McSorely.
Their QB is a sophmore in his first season, and now has to play for the first time in front of 110,000 who think they failed at Minnesota.

Ramsey, Scott and Whop - in the hands of Deboer.
Their weakness? Pass defense.
Our strength? Pass offense.
I like our chances.

Can we stop them? Get turnovers?
Gonna have to play our best defense of the season.
Our defense is definitely faster than last year.
Can we pressure their QB into a few quick throws?
Can we hang witht heir run game?

We shall see.

I truly think we are going to give Penn St problems. I'm thinking it'll be a tight game going into the 4th quarter. Indiana could absolutely pull off an upset!!
Yea penn states biggest weakness is pass defense. They also had no pass rush against minny...1 sack. It'll be tough to run against psu they have the 3rd best rated rushing defense in the country.

Ramsey is going to have to find another gear in regards to decision making. If the first couple reads aren't there at least take off if its there and don't dawdle in the pocket. Also, slide otherwise we will be down to Tuttle and thats a big question mark I don't think anyone can answer. I'm sure he is getting reps now just in case.

Clifford, QB for psu, takes off too. He isn't a world beater but gets yards when needed. The psu offense is very balanced so this will be a tough job for our young defense. Great test to see how far we have improved since the msu game.

JMHO if Ramsey is making quick decisions and scores td's instead of field goals we can be very competitive.

Yea penn states biggest weakness is pass defense. They also had no pass rush against minny...1 sack. It'll be tough to run against psu they have the 3rd best rated rushing defense in the country.

Ramsey is going to have to find another gear in regards to decision making. If the first couple reads aren't there at least take off if its there and don't dawdle in the pocket. Also, slide otherwise we will be down to Tuttle and thats a big question mark I don't think anyone can answer. I'm sure he is getting reps now just in case.

Clifford, QB for psu, takes off too. He isn't a world beater but gets yards when needed. The psu offense is very balanced so this will be a tough job for our young defense. Great test to see how far we have improved since the msu game.

JMHO if Ramsey is making quick decisions and scores td's instead of field goals we can be very competitive.

Watch closer.

Ramsey doesn't have to wait for Hale or Westbrook anymore.
The Whop Stop is always open.
That's why he is getting it out quicker too.
Whop opens it up for everybody - including Scott.
Can PSU take Whop away?
I expect they'll try - the arrogant "haves" always think they can do anything.
But my bet is Whop gets his - I think he is the best receiver in the league - , and Penn State finds themselves in a unexpected dog fight.

And we got grit.
Nobody on this team plays like a shrinking violet.
We hit people.

Our top 22 versus their top 22 is a lot more even ths season.
And the NEXT 22 - we've never been this good at the No. 2 spot.
They may have a depth advantage because ... they are ... Penn State

But their easy games are over and they may not have much spunk left after that Minnesoat game burst their dream bubble.

But their easy games are over and they may not have much spunk left after that Minnesoat game burst their dream bubble.
Despite their loss to Minnesota, Penn State's dream is still very much alive. If they win out in the regular season, and then knock off Minnesota in Indy, there's an excellent chance they make the CFP with a shot at the national championship. We should expect their very best effort and a raucous crowd this Saturday.

Watch closer.

Ramsey doesn't have to wait for Hale or Westbrook anymore.
The Whop Stop is always open.
That's why he is getting it out quicker too.
It was kind of obvious when Ramsey came in for Penix against northwestern on the very 1st play he took a sack. He held the ball again on the next play, almost got sacked again before scrambling and getting maybe 3. jus sayin. penn state has a much better d-line than nw.

It was kind of obvious when Ramsey came in for Penix against northwestern on the very 1st play he took a sack. He held the ball again on the next play, almost got sacked again before scrambling and getting maybe 3. jus sayin. penn state has a much better d-line than nw.

No doubt.

But there's also a difference between coming in cold for a hurt player and under surprise, and getting to spend 2 weeks working on a game plan.

Folks who think Ramsey is no better today than he was last year are intentionally looking for reasons to criticize him.

He still doesn't have Penix's arm, and never will.
He will never throw into the same situation that Penix might.
But if they both score - one in 2 plays and the other in 6 - I don't care.
In fact, in the 4th quarter, if I'm ahead, I'd rather score in 6 and eat the clock.
:D

Despite their loss to Minnesota, Penn State's dream is still very much alive. If they win out in the regular season, and then knock off Minnesota in Indy, there's an excellent chance they make the CFP with a shot at the national championship. We should expect their very best effort and a raucous crowd this Saturday.
They're not beating O$U

No doubt.

But there's also a difference between coming in cold for a hurt player and under surprise, and getting to spend 2 weeks working on a game plan.

Folks who think Ramsey is no better today than he was last year are intentionally looking for reasons to criticize him.

He still doesn't have Penix's arm, and never will.
He will never throw into the same situation that Penix might.
But if they both score - one in 2 plays and the other in 6 - I don't care.
In fact, in the 4th quarter, if I'm ahead, I'd rather score in 6 and eat the clock.
:D

Speaking of Ramsey vs Penix RE: arm strength - It seems as though Ramsey has been better at connecting on passes of 20+ yds. Penix can throw it deeper, but those deep throws have usually been off target. Now, I think that Penix's arm strength has been an asset on intermediate (10-20 yd) throws where he can get the ball to receivers quicker which allows him to be more aggressive and successful at throwing into tight coverage.

I do think that Penix gave us the best chance to win, but the drop off to Ramsey isn't as big as many are claiming.

Speaking of Ramsey vs Penix RE: arm strength - It seems as though Ramsey has been better at connecting on passes of 20+ yds. Penix can throw it deeper, but those deep throws have usually been off target. Now, I think that Penix's arm strength has been an asset on intermediate (10-20 yd) throws where he can get the ball to receivers quicker which allows him to be more aggressive and successful at throwing into tight coverage.

I do think that Penix gave us the best chance to win, but the drop off to Ramsey isn't as big as many are claiming.
I think Penix issue on deep balls was due to his knee injury and not being able to throw as much in the Spring and rotating during the Fall camp.

My opinion only, but Mike Penix could lead next year's team to unprecedented heights IF he stays healthy.

He made a throw in the Northwestern game that I've personally NEVER seen an IU QB before him make. He looked to his left and there was nothing doing, he immediately spun to his right and fired a frigging laser shot to Whop for about a 25 yard gain.

I've never seen an IU QB make that particular play in my 35 years of closely following the program. It looked like an All Pro NFL QB when he did that...does anyone recall the play I'm talking about??

PS..Penix made another throw from the back of the North endzone this year and hit Whop exactly at the 50 yard line. That's another play I've probably never seen an IU QB be able to make. This kid oozes frigging talent, but can he stay on the field??

My opinion only, but Mike Penix could lead next year's team to unprecedented heights IF he stays healthy.

He made a throw in the Northwestern game that I've personally NEVER seen an IU QB before him make. He looked to his left and there was nothing doing, he immediately spun to his right and fired a frigging laser shot to Whop for about a 25 yard gain.

I've never seen an IU QB make that particular play in my 35 years of closely following the program. It looked like an All Pro NFL QB when he did that...does anyone recall the play I'm talking about??

PS..Penix made another throw from the back of the North endzone this year and hit Whop exactly at the 50 yard line. That's another play I've probably never seen an IU QB be able to make. This kid oozes frigging talent, but can he stay on the field??
He has the ability to make those highlight throws you mentioned, and there is no question about the value of those, but in addition to those if he wants to expand his talents and value to the team he would do well to develop a softer delivery for shorter throws which would make them more catchable.

Reactions: Chriselli

He has quite the touch. The zip on the shorter throws makes all the difference in the ability to get yards after catch.

He has quite the touch. The zip on the shorter throws makes all the difference in the ability to get yards after catch.
His ball definitely arrives at its intended target with a commanding velocity. I always thought Sudfeld had a million dollar arm and he obviously does, but this kid's arm is something else.

That throw he made against NW was an elite throw if I've ever seen. Most college quarterbacks wouldn't be able to pull that off. His reaction/response time was ultra fast.

The next few seasons should provide ample fireworks with this kid lighting the fuse.

I think this is totally spot on until the last sentence. I think you totally nailed our QB situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT