ADVERTISEMENT

Penix

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
Not sure everyone realizes what a special player Michael Penix is. This is from Pro Football Focus, which recently published its list of Top 10 returning players at every position (Penix is #5 at QB):

"Despite playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in college football in 2020, Penix managed to post an 82.9 PFF grade in six starts before tearing his ACL in Week 13. Only four other FBS quarterbacks spent a higher rate of their dropbacks under pressure than Penix at 41%, yet the Hoosier overcame that to put together quality play. He remained calm in collapsing pockets, converting pressure to sacks at an astronomically low rate of 7.4%, the best mark in the FBS."

And there's more:

"Penix ended up leading all Power Five quarterbacks in big-time throw rate this past season and established himself as one of the top passers in the country before the injury. As long as he can stay healthy, the Hoosiers can be a top-10 team again in 2021."

Finally (and this is beyond impressive), Penix's game against Ohio State was the best performance by a college QB against pressure over the last five seasons - - ahead of two games Patrick Mahomes had while playing for Texas Tech.

By the way, PFF has Fryfogle #9 nationally at WR, and Mullen is #8 at CB.

I can't wait for September. Go Hoosiers!
https://www.pff.com/news/college-fo...returning-qbs-in-2021-plus-a-sleeper-to-watch

Not sure everyone realizes what a special player Michael Penix is. This is from Pro Football Focus, which recently published its list of Top 10 returning players at every position (Penix is #5 at QB):

"Despite playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in college football in 2020, Penix managed to post an 82.9 PFF grade in six starts before tearing his ACL in Week 13. Only four other FBS quarterbacks spent a higher rate of their dropbacks under pressure than Penix at 41%, yet the Hoosier overcame that to put together quality play. He remained calm in collapsing pockets, converting pressure to sacks at an astronomically low rate of 7.4%, the best mark in the FBS."

And there's more:

"Penix ended up leading all Power Five quarterbacks in big-time throw rate this past season and established himself as one of the top passers in the country before the injury. As long as he can stay healthy, the Hoosiers can be a top-10 team again in 2021."

Finally (and this is beyond impressive), Penix's game against Ohio State was the best performance by a college QB against pressure over the last five seasons - - ahead of two games Patrick Mahomes had while playing for Texas Tech.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-fo...returning-qbs-in-2021-plus-a-sleeper-to-watch

Well, that's great, as far as it goes.

"One of the worst offensive lines in college football in 2020" is the most important phrase above. Despite all of the optimism we have for the upcoming season the offensive line performance will be the factor determining IU's success. I don't care how good Penix can and will play, it will be for naught if the offensive line doesn't show some significant improvement in 2021. Penix running for his life/safety may result in some remarkable plays but it can be turned on its head and lead to unacceptable turnovers and another unfortunate injury to The Franchise.

Here's hoping we're going to see that improvement and we can see Penix be Penix.

One need only look at the Bengals to see the impact of poor line play on Joe Burrow. And what did the Bengals do when they had the 5th pick in last month's draft? Rather than taking the highest-rated OT they took another WR, who, while highly regarded and who will likely be an excellent pro receiver, doesn't address their most critical need - Protect The Damn Franchise.

Well, that's great, as far as it goes.

"One of the worst offensive lines in college football in 2020" is the most important phrase above. Despite all of the optimism we have for the upcoming season the offensive line performance will be the factor determining IU's success. I don't care how good Penix can and will play, it will be for naught if the offensive line doesn't show some significant improvement in 2021. Penix running for his life/safety may result in some remarkable plays but it can be turned on its head and lead to unacceptable turnovers and another unfortunate injury to The Franchise.

Here's hoping we're going to see that improvement and we can see Penix be Penix.

One need only look at the Bengals to see the impact of poor line play on Joe Burrow. And what did the Bengals do when they had the 5th pick in last month's draft? Rather than taking the highest-rated OT they took another WR, who, while highly regarded and who will likely be an excellent pro receiver, doesn't address their most critical need - Protect The Damn Franchise.
I think you may have missed my point. Of course the OL needs to improve. But despite its subpar play last season, Penix was amazing.

And he doesn't "run for his life," as you suggest. That points to a strength. He "remains calm in collapsing pockets," has great awareness and a quick release. A QB with those abilities can, to a significant extent, make up for a so-so OL. But, sure, a better OL would make Penix even better, which should be a scary proposition for every team we play.

I think you may have missed my point. Of course the OL needs to improve. But despite its subpar play last season, Penix was amazing.

And he doesn't "run for his life," as you suggest. That points to a strength. He "remains calm in collapsing pockets," has great awareness and a quick release. A QB with those abilities can, to a significant extent, make up for a so-so OL. But, sure, a better OL would make Penix even better, which should be a scary proposition for every team we play.

No, I get/got your point. Penix can be amazing and has been amazing.

Now, let's protect the franchise like rabid Bulldogs. Penix can be fragile. Keep him squeaky clean.

And there's more:

Please let the Colts draft him :) (after Penix exhausts his eligibility)

Definitely impressive.

2 non-contact ACLs & a body part I've never heard of (sterno-clavicular joint).

I'm actually/delusionally okay with this. I still contend they're not the kind of "nagging" injuries that derail careers. They're certainly season enders and it's immensely bad luck they've stacked up. But I don't think it makes him fragile, particularly with the two being non-contact, those happen every year in camp/practice.

It might be that he's just snake-bit. But I really want him to get through a full season healthy, if for nothing else than the mental toll rehab takes on someone. That's what pushed Andrew Luck out of the league, constantly rehabbing for years on end.

2 non-contact ACLs & a body part I've never heard of (sterno-clavicular joint).

I'm actually/delusionally okay with this. I still contend they're not the kind of "nagging" injuries that derail careers. They're certainly season enders and it's immensely bad luck they've stacked up. But I don't think it makes him fragile, particularly with the two being non-contact, those happen every year in camp/practice.

It might be that he's just snake-bit. But I really want him to get through a full season healthy, if for nothing else than the mental toll rehab takes on someone. That's what pushed Andrew Luck out of the league, constantly rehabbing for years on end.

I'd like to see them have him start wearing low (or zero) cleats...

From afar..., it seems like his ACL's have been casualties of Alpine ski binding non-release type of injuries... -((Could be completely wrong here but that's just a guess from what I thought I saw happen))-

Back in my high school "glory days" (in no ones memories but mine 😉), I had to switch to soccer type low cleats due to two chronic bad ankles and a severely sprained knee... Seemed to help (as in no more injuries)... Probably affected my decleater blocks a bit but since at 155 soaking wet I'd never had one prior to wearing them it wasn't a major negative...🤣

Seriously though..., since he's not expected to block or run inside on other than a quick sneak (and I'd put a backup in on those possible plays) I don't see the need for him to continue wearing full cleats...

There you go: a medical opinion by someone with nothing but First Aid training..., plus an equipment manager conclusion..., along with a professional Trainer type of opinion...., all by a guy who's never been one...

This is the Only place you can get that kind of Trifecta!

You're welcome...😉😎🍺🏈

Last edited:

From afar..., it seems like his ACL's have been casualties of Alpine ski binding non-release type of injuries... -((Could be completely wrong here but that's just a guess from what I thought I saw happen))-

Back in my high school "glory days" (in no ones memories but mine 😉), I had to switch to soccer type low cleats due to two chronic bad ankles and a severely sprained knee... Seemed to help (as in no more injuries)... Probably affected my decleaters a bit but since at 155 soaking wet I'd never had one prior to wearing them it wasn't a major negative...🤣

Seriously though..., since he's not expected to block or run inside on other than a quick sneak (and I'd put a backup in on those possible plays) I don't see the need for him to continue wearing full cleats...

They're you go: a medical opinion by someone with nothing but First Aid training..., plus an equipment manager conclusion..., along with a professional Trainer opinion...., all by a guy who's never been one...

You're welcome...😉😎🍺🏈

That's three invoices you can send out. Kudos.

Back in my high school "glory days" (in no ones memories but mine 😉), I had to switch to soccer type low cleats due to two chronic bad ankles and a severely sprained knee... Seemed to help (as in no more injuries)... Probably affected my decleater blocks a bit but since at 155 soaking wet I'd never had one prior to wearing them it wasn't a major negative...🤣

There you go: a medical opinion by someone with nothing but First Aid training..., plus an equipment manager conclusion..., along with a professional Trainer type of opinion...., all by a guy who's never been one...

You're welcome...😉😎🍺🏈

full cleats should be banned for everyone.

crazy it hasn't been done long ago.

nothing good about having the foot anchored in the ground at the wrong time.

that said, for most of last yr MP played it safe in the pocket, but the few times he was forced situationally to become a dual threat, he instantly moved the team better.

will be interesting to see how much IU and MP decide to play all out and allow him to be a dual threat, or if prevention, even though having a lower ceiling, is the game plan.

Reactions: 76-1
full cleats should be banned for everyone.

crazy it hasn't been done long ago.

nothing good about having the foot anchored in the ground at the wrong time.

that said, for most of last yr MP played it safe in the pocket, but the few times he was forced situationally to become a dual threat, he instantly moved the team better.

will be interesting to see how much IU and MP decide to play all out and allow him to be a dual threat, or if prevention, even though having a lower ceiling, is the game plan.
I don't reckon they're going to let him be a dual threat at all, at least by design.

They didn't really use him as one last year. Sheridan digs the long ball (although I hope he expands his horizons in that respect).

I don't reckon they're going to let him be a dual threat at all, at least by design.

They didn't really use him as one last year. Sheridan digs the long ball (although I hope he expands his horizons in that respect).
The kid can make every throw, and he's got talented receivers. Bombs away.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT