ADVERTISEMENT

Penix looks ready to go

I believe both ACL tears were non-contact injuries. Year 1 happened down field as he just planted wrong and cleats got stuck in the turf and last year he tore it running out of bounds near the goal line eluding pressure.

The clavicle injured happened during the Northwestern game, I believe on a QB sneak on a hit that occured in the endzone.
Please read above, his first ACL was far from non contact including one of the PSU defenders being ejected for targeting

Reactions: Bowlmania
100% this! It's a weird game where people go down all the time with tears by just landing their foot awkwardly.
*edit* I don't think his torn ACL his freshman year vs. PSU had any contact whatsoever.

I assume the sterno-clavicular injury was contact related, but I don't recall the hit.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of dude who is going to play scared of injury. Because if you're playing scared, you ain't playing.
https://sterneman.net/indiana-football/#jp-carousel-446

If this link works it is a picture of the hit MP took that tore hid S-C. you can see that the second guy is piling on.

Reactions: TMFT
I believe both ACL tears were non-contact injuries. Year 1 happened down field as he just planted wrong and cleats got stuck in the turf and last year he tore it running out of bounds near the goal line eluding pressure.

The clavicle injured happened during the Northwestern game, I believe on a QB sneak on a hit that occured in the endzone.
No a psu guy hit him in the head got targeting and another hit him in the knee causing the injury

Penix has had some flukey injuries that seem more bad luck than 100% fragile bones. He is fast and needs to have the threat of a run in his repertoire, as if they are blitzing and he could get past you can see 10-15 yd runs no problem. Those hurt defenses. Yes, he needs to learn, master and become a star at the QB Slide when needed too!

Seems like OL is more veteran and has real beef to help with both pass pro and improving run game. And then I truly believe Coach McC is going to elevate run game a lot this year, with runners who may not be as “punishing” as Stevie Scott, but who many may have better speed, and elusiveness & big play potential than S Scott did. If so, that will really help Penix in passing game.

Last edited:
Reactions: susyq
His 2019 injury is a mystery. I remember him coming out in the first game right before the half. Before that his arm dangled for a few plays.

still, he played the second half. IU never came clean on exactly what his injury was and how it happened.

He’s injury prone. It’s as simple as that. I expect it to happen again this season. The question is...... when?

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
His 2019 injury is a mystery. I remember him coming out in the first game right before the half. Before that his arm dangled for a few plays.

still, he played the second half. IU never came clean on exactly what his injury was and how it happened.

He’s injury prone. It’s as simple as that. I expect it to happen again this season. The question is...... when?
Hopefully the Rose Bowl

It would be interesting to hear what an orthopedic surgeon associated with the second ACL tear had to say about the structure of the knee or Penix's overall lower body bone structure as well as his evaluation of the first surgery/rehab. It is well known that a lot of knee injuries, particularly in women athletes, has to do with structural issues. So does his bone structure indicate potential for injury? Second, usually after in initial ACL tear, most injuries heal and are, in fact, stronger than before. Why didn't that happen with Penix? I too think the Penix injuries seem to be flukes, the S-C problem seems rare. Of his issues, the S-C issue would best be prevented by building upper body strength, which I think he did after 2019. It is quite possible that the injuries Penix has had are it. He might have great durability from now on.

Rex Grossman with the Bears had a string of injuries which ended and he was healthy after that never really having another serious injury iirc. Of course he wasn't a very good NFL quarterback, but he wasn't before the injuries either.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It would be interesting to hear what an orthopedic surgeon associated with the second ACL tear had to say about the structure of the knee or Penix's overall lower body bone structure as well as his evaluation of the first surgery/rehab. It is well known that a lot of knee injuries, particularly in women athletes, has to do with structural issues. So does his bone structure indicate potential for injury? Second, usually after in initial ACL tear, most injuries heal and are, in fact, stronger than before. Why didn't that happen with Penix? I too think the Penix injuries seem to be flukes, the S-C problem seems rare. Of his issues, the S-C issue would best be prevented by building upper body strength, which I think he did after 2019. It is quite possible that the injuries Penix has had are it. He might have great durability from now on.

Rex Grossman with the Bears had a string of injuries which ended and he was healthy after that never really having another serious injury iirc. Of course he wasn't a very good NFL quarterback, but he wasn't before the injuries either.

he did take the Bears to the Superbowl.

that said, for a 6'1" guy without great speed, he was a phenomenal QB.

he did take the Bears to the Superbowl.

that said, for a 6'1" guy without great speed, he was a phenomenal QB.
The defense took that team to a Super bowl. Against the Arizona Cardinals that season (We knew who they were etc, . . . ) Grossman was horrific, the defense and special teams single handedly won that game. In Chicago he threw a lot of picks and fumbled a lot because he has small hands. The fact that Cutler was better tells you all you need to know.

I think Penix continues to develop both mentally and physically knowing his injuries have been a past problem for him.

He looks more jacked physically than we’ve ever seen him before.

Think he’s wanting film about improving his release quicker, when to slide, throw the ball away vs hang on too long, etc.

I believe he can play his way into the draft next year if he puts it all together this year. My big critique from last year was he actually wasn’t consistent throughout the game, which I thought had to do with some bad footwork at times and holding onto the ball too long vs chucking it out of bounds to live for another play.

But he has real talent and with better OL play, better running game that we will have with coach DMac, and a bevy of great receivers, I think this is his year to break out.

I think Penix continues to develop both mentally and physically knowing his injuries have been a past problem for him.

He looks more jacked physically than we’ve ever seen him before.

Think he’s wanting film about improving his release quicker, when to slide, throw the ball away vs hang on too long, etc.

I believe he can play his way into the draft next year if he puts it all together this year. My big critique from last year was he actually wasn’t consistent throughout the game, which I thought had to do with some bad footwork at times and holding onto the ball too long vs chucking it out of bounds to live for another play.

But he has real talent and with better OL play, better running game that we will have with coach DMac, and a bevy of great receivers, I think this is his year to break out.
Penix is the best QB in the Big Ten and, according to PFF (see below), the 5th best in the country. If he stays healthy, he'll be a Heisman candidate and an early-round draft pick.

"Despite playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in college football in 2020, Penix managed an 82.9 PFF grade in six starts before tearing his ACL in Week 13. Only four other FBS quarterbacks spent a higher rate of their dropbacks under pressure than Penix (41%), yet the Hoosier overcame that to put together quality play. He remained calm in collapsing pockets, converting pressure to sacks at an astronomically low rate of 7.4%, the best mark in the FBS.

None of this is surprising after what we saw from Penix back in 2019 when he posted an 84.0 PFF grade across six starts. And while his accuracy wasn't quite as consistent as it was in 2019, he still produced plus results in that area in 2020, ranking 19th in the FBS in the percentage of accurate passes thrown 10-plus yards downfield.

Penix ended up leading all Power Five quarterbacks in big-time throw rate this past season and established himself as one of the top passers in the country before the injury. As long as he can stay healthy, the Hoosiers can be a top-10 team again in 2021."

Last edited:
Penix is the best QB in the Big Ten and, according to PFF (see below), the 5th best in the country. If he stays healthy, he'll be a Heisman candidate and an early-round draft pick.

"Despite playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in college football in 2020, Penix managed an 82.9 PFF grade in six starts before tearing his ACL in Week 13. Only four other FBS quarterbacks spent a higher rate of their dropbacks under pressure than Penix (41%), yet the Hoosier overcame that to put together quality play. He remained calm in collapsing pockets, converting pressure to sacks at an astronomically low rate of 7.4%, the best mark in the FBS.

None of this is surprising after what we saw from Penix back in 2019 when he posted an 84.0 PFF grade across six starts. And while his accuracy wasn't quite as consistent as it was in 2019, he still produced plus results in that area in 2020, ranking 19th in the FBS in the percentage of accurate passes thrown 10-plus yards downfield.

Penix ended up leading all Power Five quarterbacks in big-time throw rate this past season and established himself as one of the top passers in the country before the injury. As long as he can stay healthy, the Hoosiers can be a top-10 team again in 2021."

This why I think we are a able to compete with anybody this season and I am less worried about Cincinnati and Iowa than a lot of other folks on the board. I also think that his attendance at the QB camps this summer, particularly Peyton Manning's may have helped with the footwork issue a lot of us saw last season. IF the OL is at least mediocre and not horrible, Penix should be able to light up a lot of secondaries this year.

The defense took that team to a Super bowl. Against the Arizona Cardinals that season (We knew who they were etc, . . . ) Grossman was horrific, the defense and special teams single handedly won that game. In Chicago he threw a lot of picks and fumbled a lot because he has small hands. The fact that Cutler was better tells you all you need to know.

sorry about him stealing your girlfriend.

the Bears defense didn't get them there by themselves, Rex was great in the NFC conf champ game that got them to the Super Bowl, and what, 2nd in the Heisman voting at UF.

like i said, for a 6'1" guy without great speed, he was literally phenomenal.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
sorry about him stealing your girlfriend.

the Bears defense didn't get them there by themselves, Rex was great in the NFC conf champ game that got them to the Super Bowl, and what, 2nd in the Heisman voting at UF.

like i said, for a 6'1" guy without great speed, he was literally phenomenal.
His biggest problem was his hands. They where just average size. He couldn’t hold on to the ball. He could throw it though.

If Penix stays healthy the whole season I think he goes to the NFL after this year. Injury concerns are probably about the only thing holding him back in NFL scouts eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT