ADVERTISEMENT

Penix looks ready to go

ACL repairs are much different now than just several years ago and it looks like Penix is healed and ready to go this season. IU is a different team with Penix running the show giving them a better chance of beating every team on IU's schedule.

Tuttle gives IU a very good QB to lead the team but we don't know if he has the "it" factor. If not he will still be able to lead the team to many victories.

I just dont want MP to come out scared to get hit like last season! He had some chances to run but forced throwing the ball and making the wrong decision! But if hes healthy and can keep a defense on its heels, look out!
I disagree. He is FAR too important to risk a few yards on the ground. I would rather he throw the ball away, punt, and live to fight another day. The drop-off to Tuttle is immense. Not a knock on Tuttle, but Penix is a Sunday talent.

I just dont want MP to come out scared to get hit like last season! He had some chances to run but forced throwing the ball and making the wrong decision! But if hes healthy and can keep a defense on its heels, look out!
I disagree. He is FAR too important to risk a few yards on the ground. I would rather he throw the ball away, punt, and live to fight another day. The drop-off to Tuttle is immense. Not a knock on Tuttle, but Penix is a Sunday talent.

this is going to be the big question of the season.

MP has been injured twice at IU, once basically in the backfield and once far downfield, and neither were exactly big hits.

truth is, QBs take just as big of hits in the pocket as they do running the ball, with the exception of when they are trying to force an extra yard or two out of a run.

all you can really do is avoid the avoidable hits, whether in the backfield or downfield running the ball.

the last time MP got hurt i was screaming at him through the tv to just step out of bounds, as there was zero need to take any hit at all on that run, and it was just bad judgement on MP's part there.

that said, he takes basically that same hit many times a game throwing the ball, so imo it wasn't running the ball that caused the injury, but rather taking a hit he didn't need to take at all.

still, even though last yr MP only took off much when IU was in desperation mode, never the less the offense was much more effective when he became a two way threat instead of a one way threat.

and sometimes taking off running is the better way to avoid taking a hit than standing in the pocket.

but again, when running, the trick is to know when to hit the deck, even when a first down is at stake.

too bad today's players never saw Colt's star receiver Marvin Harrison play, who is likely the greatest receiver ever to wear a Colts uni.

the guy was maybe 150 pounds, and had a 13 yr mostly injury free career because more than any other player i've watched, he hit the ground as fast as he could the instant he felt the play had little to nothing left in it, and didn't ever stupidly try to milk an extra yard or two out of the play that wasn't there. (which is also why he almost never fumbled).

many times a game he would hit the ground before ever being touched by a defender, if he thought there was little to be gained by not doing so.

where QBs get in trouble running the ball, is when they try to turn fullback to get that extra yd or 2 for a big first down, including big strong QBs as well. (just ask Andrew Luck).

reality is, IU is much better offensively with MP as a two way threat as opposed to a one way threat, and QBs get hurt just as much being hit in the backfield or pocket as they do running the ball..

the trick is, throw it away in the pocket when it isn't there, and when running, hit the ground as quick as you can when there is little left to gain, rather than try and milk the extra yard, even in a last play PSU scenario if milking that last yard means taking a big hit. (and luckily, that last play vs PSU didn't involve taking a big hit).

all that said, MP is going to get hit numerous times a game whether in the pocket or outside it, and both times he was injured he was barely touched, so not like he can protect against the barely touched injury.

what he can do is be a two way threat, and when running, hit the turf a yard or two before the play has been exhausted, rather than try and milk it for that last yd, even when a 1st down or TD is that last yard or two away.

and when running the ball, a QB has much greater vision of where and when the hit is coming from, than standing in the pocket looking downfield and having a pass rusher roll up on his legs.

it isn't a question of being a two way threat or a one way threat imo, as both equally expose you to risk.

it's more a "discretion is the greater part of valor" thing, regardless if in the pocket or running it.

be Marvin Harrison, and be willing to hit the turf before the hit rather than after, even when that extra yard means a big first 1st down or even TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
By all rights we should be in a better position to do just that this year than we have been in a long time. I'm counting on Coach Mc to make a big difference.
Hope you are right. I'm not really worried about our backs. If David Ellis is our 4th string tailback, I think we're more than ok there. It's the push of the o-line, and if we're committed to the run for four quarters that concerns me.

Hope you are right. I'm not really worried about our backs. If David Ellis is our 4th string tailback, I think we're more than ok there. It's the push of the o-line, and if we're committed to the run for four quarters that concerns me.
I don't claim to know much, but I have to believe Coach Mc will have some input with Hiller and the OL in addition to coaching the backs. He may not have the title, but I see him as the Running Game Coach.

I don't claim to know much, but I have to believe Coach Mc will have some input with Hiller and the OL in addition to coaching the backs. He may not have the title, but I see him as the Running Game Coach.
If that is the case, I hope he brings some of Andy Reid's playbook with him. Especially Reid's effective use of the screen game. Nobody in the pros does it better than him.

If that is the case, I hope he brings some of Andy Reid's playbook with him. Especially Reid's effective use of the screen game. Nobody in the pros does it better than him.

having your QB as a huge running threat, or tying up the opponents' pass rush, doesn't exactly hurt your screen game or running game.

why i hope MP can be a two way threat this yr.

Our OL showed in wildcat formations they could create push on LOS so coaches need to look at tapes and see why that was the case. Is it three point stances, changed blocking schemes, etc. Find the answer and give the OL a chance to be a good running game blocking OL.

I've watched this a bunch of times, and the best I can figure is that he throws from the 10 (obvi) and it's caught at about the 20. So I'm thinking 70 in the air.

He's rolling at the start so we'll say the ball would've been snapped about 1 second prior to the video starting (if we were doing it in game time). Ball comes out 3 seconds later, so 4 seconds total. And it gets caught at about the 7 second mark, so 8 seconds total, which sounds about right for running 70 yards from a standing start.

So we just need to find out who the Bullet Bob Hayes on the team is who can beat his DB on a go route and hold the pass rush off for 4 seconds.

His throws are just jaw dropping at times. His trajectory and speed are absolutely a notch above most QB’s. If he can stay healthy and we can efficiently move the ball. All I can say is other schools will have a hard time staying with us. We may even score so fast it hurts our defense. Lol

His throws are just jaw dropping at times. His trajectory and speed are absolutely a notch above most QB’s. If he can stay healthy and we can efficiently move the ball. All I can say is other schools will have a hard time staying with us. We may even score so fast it hurts our defense. Lol
Can you imagine how dangerous he'd be with a solid run game to throw play action off of? I mean, he's dangerous enough as it is, but if the defense respected the run more, there'd be so many more opportunities for catch & run vs. so many sideline fade jump balls (although kudos to Fryfogle for turning so many of those into long YAC gainers last season).

Can you imagine how dangerous he'd be with a solid run game to throw play action off of? I mean, he's dangerous enough as it is, but if the defense respected the run more, there'd be so many more opportunities for catch & run vs. so many sideline fade jump balls (although kudos to Fryfogle for turning so many of those into long YAC gainers last season).
I’m hoping with the new backs/coach we can be more effective and balanced.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Penix’s UT offer was pulled by Pruitt.

Martinez’ was not. He just wasn’t comfortable with whoever replaced Debord and Sheridan at UT when they came to IU.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
i think we will most likely find out. Unless the coaches convince him to dial back the running. I don’t see him making it through the season.

Reactions: BayernFan
i think we will most likely find out. Unless the coaches convince him to dial back the running. I don’t see him making it through the season.

absent being stupid trying to squeeze an extra yd or two out of a run, i think people overestimate the risk of the run vs the pocket.

neither of the injuries MP has suffered at IU, would i really associate with running even though he had the ball at the time, and neither were big hits in the slightest.

that said, our ceiling is definitely higher if MP is at least a 2 way threat as opposed to one way, rushers can't just tee off on him, and the rest of the run game benefits as well if MP is a two way threat..

that said, if MP wants to play pro ball, i'd have to think just being considered a statue would hurt prospects.

that said, sooner or later a win is going to depend on MP being a 2 way threat..

just rewatch last yr's PSU game, and i don't mean just the last play..

the key to being a two way threat sanely, is know when the run is over, and don't try to squeeze out that extra yd, but just hit the ground just as you need to know when to throw it away in the pocket.

absent being stupid trying to squeeze an extra yd or two out of a run, i think people overestimate the risk of the run vs the pocket.

neither of the injuries MP has suffered at IU, would i really associate with running even though he had the ball at the time, and neither were big hits in the slightest.

that said, our ceiling is definitely higher if MP is at least a 2 way threat as opposed to one way, rushers can't just tee off on him, and the rest of the run game benefits as well if MP is a two way threat..

that said, if MP wants to play pro ball, i'd have to think just being considered a statue would hurt prospects.

that said, sooner or later a win is going to depend on MP being a 2 way threat..

just rewatch last yr's PSU game, and i don't mean just the last play..

the key to being a two way threat sanely, is know when the run is over, and don't try to squeeze out that extra yd, but just hit the ground just as you need to know when to throw it away in the pocket.
100% this! It's a weird game where people go down all the time with tears by just landing their foot awkwardly.
*edit* I don't think his torn ACL his freshman year vs. PSU had any contact whatsoever.

I assume the sterno-clavicular injury was contact related, but I don't recall the hit.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of dude who is going to play scared of injury. Because if you're playing scared, you ain't playing.

Without Penix's athleticism, and legs, IU wouldn't have beaten Penn State last season in Game 1. The 2-point conversion to tie in regulation, and the spectacular 2-pointer to win in OT, were all Penix.

You can't completely take away the run from a guy like that. You want opposing defenses to factor in that threat. Also, as others have noted, injuries can and do happen on non-contact plays as we saw with Penix's ACL tear last season, so worrying about every possible outcome is pointless. That said, I'm sure the coaches will be judicious with respect to him taking off, but his athleticism can't and won't be bottled up.

Agree, but I think to take that next step we must run the ball much better to keep Penix upright for the duration of the season.
Yes, and why can’t we run the ball? Was it our Ol, RBs, coach Hart?
I think IU and Penix are a dramatically different team is they have arespected run game

Reactions: F.Fletch
Yes, and why can’t we run the ball? Was it our Ol, RBs, coach Hart?
I think IU and Penix are a dramatically different team is they have arespected run game
Personally, I was not a big fan of Stevie Scott. Seemed to my uneducated football eye, that he had a real hard time breaking tackles.

I'm one of those guys that likes to turn down the volume on the t.v. broadcast, and listen to Don and Buck. I remember Buck on several occasions saying we ought to just line up in "I Formation" with David Ellis at tailback, when we needed to run the ball.

Re
Personally, I was not a big fan of Stevie Scott. Seemed to my uneducated football eye, that he had a real hard time breaking tackles.

I'm one of those guys that likes to turn down the volume on the t.v. broadcast, and listen to Don and Buck. I remember Buck on several occasions saying we ought to just line up in "I Formation" with David Ellis at tailback, when we needed to run the ball.
I am for anything that makes the opponent think run first.

100% this! It's a weird game where people go down all the time with tears by just landing their foot awkwardly.
*edit* I don't think his torn ACL his freshman year vs. PSU had any contact whatsoever.

I assume the sterno-clavicular injury was contact related, but I don't recall the hit.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of dude who is going to play scared of injury. Because if you're playing scared, you ain't playing.
That is not correct, his freshmen year he was hit high and low at the same time after a first down scramble, one of the PSU defenders was given a targeting penalty and was ejected.

Reactions: TMFT

I believe both ACL tears were non-contact injuries. Year 1 happened down field as he just planted wrong and cleats got stuck in the turf and last year he tore it running out of bounds near the goal line eluding pressure.

The clavicle injured happened during the Northwestern game, I believe on a QB sneak on a hit that occured in the endzone.

Reactions: mrhighlife
ADVERTISEMENT