ADVERTISEMENT

Penix going forward

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
I LOVE MP and his talents. He displayed throws this year that I've never seen an IU QB make in my 35 years of watching. His talents can neutralize better teams and allow Indiana football to keep moving forward with a big season.

That said, he is simply going to have to now play through injuries. He is going to have to truly toughen up because there's no more insurance policy by the name of Peyton Ramsey waiting on the sidelines.

Time to TOUGHEN up, Michael.

Reactions: red hornet
I LOVE MP and his talents. He displayed throws this year that I've never seen an IU QB make in my 35 years of watching. His talents can neutralize better teams and allow Indiana football to keep moving forward with a big season.

That said, he is simply going to have to now play through injuries. He is going to have to truly toughen up because there's no more insurance policy by the name of Peyton Ramsey waiting on the sidelines.

Nobody "plays through" the two injuries he's had.

I'm sure you met well..., but telling him to "toughen up" in regard to his past two surgically repaired injuries is just totally ridiculous...

A better idea would be to tell his receivers to get open quicker and his blockers to use better technique...

I too do NOT subscribe to a “Penix is soft or fragile” but perhaps more unlucky. But I do think he needs a great off season to put on strength as well as time in film room to know when to run, and know how to dive as needed.

The injuries that put him out are not something you "toughen up" from. Knee surgery and chest surgery are not something you can soldier through. I agree that more bulk would help him but it would not have prevented either of the season ending injuries. I don't know if he is tough and neither do you. My hope is he is luckier.

He throws a great long strike, but I have yet to see him complete a "touch" pass. His injuries have been such that "toughening up" may be a great exhortation but in looking at the actual details of his injuries it might not be what is possible or what he needs to do.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Nobody "plays through" the two injuries he's had.

I'm sure you met well..., but telling him to "toughen up" in regard to his past two surgically repaired injuries is just totally ridiculous...

A better idea would be to tell his receivers to get open quicker and his blockers to use better technique...
I'm fairly certain TD75 may have been referring to the first two mysterious injuries from the Eastern Illinois and Maryland games which were never fully explained. Both led to time being missed on separate occasions and left a bad impression.

Maybe we stop having him run as much? We didn’t know when he got hurt at times but the last game he ran more than he probably needed to. But we had a solid backup and didn’t need to worry about it. In the B1G East you better have 3 good QBs on your roster at all times. Otherwise you go from Sudfield to Hollywood in a heartbeat. Gritty wasn’t going to play forever.

Everyone is writing off Dexter Williams but they are going to be surprised at his athleticism. He’s going to push those other two guys.

I don't think that will happen.

He seems like an afterthought to me. 6'1" QB from smallest division in GA, didn't sniff another P5 offer, his best offers probably being FAU, Tulane, Miami OH. We really wanted Dekkers, an Iowa kid who committed to Iowa St. On film, he appears strong & aggressive, but not particularly fast or elusive. No way that he could play CB in college. And he doesn't appear to have a particularly strong or accurate arm.

He seems like a good kid, has a good GPA. I think he might be a safety in a couple of years or be off to a smaller program. I think/hope he will be recruited over at QB.

Reactions: vesuvius13

He seems like an afterthought to me. 6'1" QB from smallest division in GA, didn't sniff another P5 offer, his best offers probably being FAU, Tulane, Miami OH. We really wanted Dekkers, an Iowa kid who committed to Iowa St. On film, he appears strong & aggressive, but not particularly fast or elusive. No way that he could play CB in college. And he doesn't appear to have a particularly strong or accurate arm.

He seems like a good kid, has a good GPA. I think he might be a safety in a couple of years or be off to a smaller program. I think/hope he will be recruited over at QB.
OK, I'll see your skepticism and raise you one Rashard Fant, who also played in the lowest Georgia classification, also at a private school.

His best other offer might have been Navy . . . and Georgia State did beat Tennessee this past year, so there's that.

Last edited:

4.62 40. Not bad . . . and that's before Ballou gets him.

Cut him enough room to let him fail on his own merits . . . .

OK, I'll see your skepticism and raise you one Rashard Fant, who also played in the lowest Georgia classification, also at a private school.

His best other offer might have been Navy . . . and Georgia State did beat Tennessee this past year, so there's that.

I thought Fant had a Florida St offer? Been a few years obviously, but I don’t think we beat out Navy for him.

IU is going to keep recruiting hard every year and the Lawrence N (or Central?) up and coming junior QB is 4-star, gurantee IU wants him. THere is a 6'5 sophomore Indiana QB also rising and they'd take him the next year if he wants to stay home. If a program is on the rise, they'll take the best and let them compete and have depth for injuries. If Dexter is good (and I'm optimistic he's got some swagger to him) let him be at the ready, but don't see him beating out Penix or Tuttle next season.

it isn't a matter of "toughening up".

if you're injured you're injured, and MP at only 98% is not better than PR at 100%.

reality is, even with MP's bigger arm, it was still almost a toss up when both were 100%, and PR is both a little better on the ground, and you don't hold your breath every time he takes off or gets hit.

IU will take a huge hit if PR does transfer. (as they would if MP did).

that said, i always wanted Ginger and Mary Ann.

on a side note, while everyone notes MP's bigger arm, i always thought the short and sideline throws were where MP looked slightly better than PR, (quick release and crazy accurate), while i thought PR was a little better/more accurate down field.

Reactions: red hornet

I had to google this, but Williams's HS has an enrollment of 610. Tri-West (where Hendershot comes from) has an enrollment of 605. And you could probably add 100 kids to Williams's HS because private are full of kids who want to be there (or at least their parents want them there) as opposed to whatever percentage of public school students are there because they have to be. I guess my overall point is that it's a "small school" to be sure, but it's not like it'd pulling a kid from Springs Valley and expecting him to be an NBA hall of famer ;). Small schools do produce legit talent every once and a while.

With that said, with what IU has currently and without knowing who they'll sign in the 2021 class, Williams looks to me to be in a good spot. Penix/Tuttle will exhaust eligibility Williams's RS-So year. So assuming all goes to plan, he'll be in his 4th year with the program when he'd be expected to step into a starting role, and that's about where you want to be as a program. IF he gets recruited over next year for example, and he gets beat out of the job his RS-Jr year or if he gets buried on the depth chart before then, then he can do a grad transfer for his last year and there's no harm done because he wouldn't have been the starter anyway. Or he could transfer sooner and whoever the new QB in waiting is gets put in his spot.

I don't love having the top 2 QBs being in the same class like we're seeing now, but at least they're both still early in their careers. I think CTA is making a concerted effort to try and balance out classes so we see a lot more players as 1 & 2 year starters/major contributors vs riding the wave of going between 3 years starters to RS-Fr at a bunch of positions. It's key to program stability.

it isn't a matter of "toughening up".

if you're injured you're injured, and MP at only 98% is not better than PR at 100%.

reality is, even with MP's bigger arm, it was still almost a toss up when both were 100%, and PR is both a little better on the ground, and you don't hold your breath every time he takes off or gets hit.

IU will take a huge hit if PR does transfer. (as they would if MP did).

that said, i always wanted Ginger and Mary Ann.

on a side note, while everyone notes MP's bigger arm, i always thought the short and sideline throws were where MP looked slightly better than PR, (quick release and crazy accurate), while i thought PR was a little better/more accurate down field.
A Quarterback must have great confidence in his ability. However there are times when Strong Armed Quarterbacks over estimate their ability and make throws they shouldn't make. We have a small sample size with Penix, but I recall several times he threw the ball late to the outside. Part of that is inexperience, but it is the type of throw can get you into a whole lot of trouble - Interceptions or a Pick 6.

In the famous words of Clint Eastwood as Inspector Harry Callahan, "A man's got to know his limitations.

Reactions: red hornet and td75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT