ADVERTISEMENT

Penix Footwork

Champs1976

Sophomore
May 18, 2020
Did anyone else notice the footwork MP showed last year was a bit "sloppy". A lot of times he failed to step into the direction of throws, but instead slid his lead foot sideways. Granted some of these were throws that he was rushing to beat pressure, but his accuracy was down last year and many throws he missed were off by a lot, unlike in the 2019 season. One would hope his coaches noticed this as well. The two issues identified by NFL scouts that seem universal when evaluating and determining NFL readiness are mechanics (primarily footwork) affecting accuracy and arm strength. MP's arm strength is elite, but the footwork just seemed to be sloppy/bad at times. Imagine how good he could be straightening that out.

Did anyone else notice the footwork MP showed last year was a bit "sloppy". A lot of times he failed to step into the direction of throws, but instead slid his lead foot sideways. Granted some of these were throws that he was rushing to beat pressure, but his accuracy was down last year and many throws he missed were off by a lot, unlike in the 2019 season. One would hope his coaches noticed this as well. The two issues identified by NFL scouts that seem universal when evaluating and determining NFL readiness are mechanics (primarily footwork) affecting accuracy and arm strength. MP's arm strength is elite, but the footwork just seemed to be sloppy/bad at times. Imagine how good he could be straightening that out.
Wonder how much of his mechanics has to do with the amount of rehab he does versus reps.

Champs, Your ears must have been burning. I was thinking the same thing recently. While MP had a very good year, his mechanics were not great. Not finishing throws, throwing off his back foot, front foot being wide open etc caused a lot of throws to sail or just be off target toward open receivers.

In limited duty in ‘18, he completed 62%. In six starts in ‘19 he upped that to 69%. Last year it was down considerably to 54%. While the WRs and Hendershot had the “dropsies” early season vs PSU and Rutgers, there were plenty of throws in both those games and vs MD that MP missed open guys due to poor mechanics. Did former OC, KD focus on this more than current OC, Sheridan? Or, was it caused by more sideline throws in ‘19 vs downfield throws in ‘20?

How much he can correct that and hopefully get back to around 70% may be the difference between a good and a great season for both he and the team. While he probably can’t work on it yet in his recovery, let’s hope this is being addressed in the QB room when reviewing film as the drop in % was pretty glaring. Sheridan and MP need to make mechanics a priority.

Champs, Your ears must have been burning. I was thinking the same thing recently. While MP had a very good year, his mechanics were not great. Not finishing throws, throwing off his back foot, front foot being wide open etc caused a lot of throws to sail or just be off target toward open receivers.

In limited duty in ‘18, he completed 62%. In six starts in ‘19 he upped that to 69%. Last year it was down considerably to 54%. While the WRs and Hendershot had the “dropsies” early season vs PSU and Rutgers, there were plenty of throws in both those games and vs MD that MP missed open guys due to poor mechanics. Did former OC, KD focus on this more than current OC, Sheridan? Or, was it caused by more sideline throws in ‘19 vs downfield throws in ‘20?

How much he can correct that and hopefully get back to around 70% may be the difference between a good and a great season for both he and the team. While he probably can’t work on it yet in his recovery, let’s hope this is being addressed in the QB room when reviewing film as the drop in % was pretty glaring. Sheridan and MP need to make mechanics a priority.
I mean, he was getting mauled in most games because the line was doing him very few favors. That's not going to do wonders for your fundamentals.

I mean, he was getting mauled in most games because the line was doing him very few favors. That's not going to do wonders for your fundamentals.

That and I believe he was playing "hurt" in several games (looked like an ankle sprain to me) prior to his being injured (ACL)...

They're not wrong though... He does need to work on his footwork...

The year his % was so high was the year Deboer was the QB coach; every other year Sheridan has been QB coach and that concerns me. Accuracy and completing nearly 70% of your passes goes a long ways to having a great offense that doesn't get bogged down. I remember Ramsey always bailed out early when pressured from the outside but once DeBoer took over the QBs Ramsey started stepping up in the pocket.

The year his % was so high was the year Deboer was the QB coach; every other year Sheridan has been QB coach and that concerns me. Accuracy and completing nearly 70% of your passes goes a long ways to having a great offense that doesn't get bogged down. I remember Ramsey always bailed out early when pressured from the outside but once DeBoer took over the QBs Ramsey started stepping up in the pocket.
Big year for Sheridan. CTA will not play around with that position.

47614, I agree there were plenty of times he was under duress. But in watching live and re-watching since, there were a number of plays he wasn’t under pressure where his footwork and mechanics were not what they needed to be, so balls sailed over the heads of open guys on too many occasions. Penn State, MD and Rutgers come to mind. I acknowledge the receivers had a hand in it too with some drops, but a 15% dip from the previous year is huge. A QB coach should really make this a focus.

I guess it’s the curse of the big armed QB. These kids that throw rockets can get away with less than stellar mechanics at lower levels vs lesser competition. But when you get to D1 and P5 levels, every small detail needs to be executed correctly. Look no further than former IU QB, RL, with an absolute cannon, standing 6’6” threw a great deep ball. Yet, at that height was consistently getting balls knocked down by shorter D linemen due to poor arm slot and mechanics.

Reactions: 76-1
I have a lot of respect for you and your knows of the game but I do question why you are so negative toward Sheridan. Many of Penix throws the freshman year were quick throws to the sidelines. His percentage was 64% not great but not terrible.The next year it went to 69% but still slot of quick stuff. Last year learning new system no spring ball no summer 7 on 7 fragmented fall. Missed a lot of reps. May have had slot to do with inconsistencies

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
This season will be a fairer look at Sheridan given he’ll have season under his belt as well as spring & fall camps. I wouldn’t count him out yet at all.

per Penix, seems like a fair assessment would be that yes, his footwork did not seem “NFL ready” yet last season. A poor OL protection can lead to some of that, but there were many throws where he was upright no issues.

I think Penix has so much natural arm strength & abilities & self confidence that he possibly has felt he can do it as he is. I don’t know that he isn’t a student of the game/film and think he has NFL potential talent. But seemingly in the long run, when NFL scouts really review the prospects, if he doesn’t work on mechanics further, it could bite him in scouts:GM’s eyes in the future. But if he tightens that aspect of his game up, it will mean likely two things: 1)IU has a great year and 2)Penix declares for NFL.

I’d take that deal every time. Win/win!

I have a lot of respect for you and your knows of the game but I do question why you are so negative toward Sheridan. Many of Penix throws the freshman year were quick throws to the sidelines. His percentage was 64% not great but not terrible.The next year it went to 69% but still slot of quick stuff. Last year learning new system no spring ball no summer 7 on 7 fragmented fall. Missed a lot of reps. May have had slot to do with inconsistencies
I am not so negative about Sheridan but mentioning his shortcomings. This coming season will show if he does a better job and I have said that before. I know this past year was tough for the coaches but coach Sheridan has a record to go by coaching QBs. I hope this year he helps Penix clean up his footwork and IU has a variety of plays we haven't seen so far. By the way, 69% came with coach DeBoer coaching QBs not Sheridan.

I also respect your football Knowledge.

I guess it’s the curse of the big armed QB.
Whatever issues Penix has with his game 100% boils down to this. He's got supreme confidence in his arm (with good reason) and his ability to just sling it. I'm not sure if it was him or playcalling either or just trusting Fry to come down with big catches, but it seemed like as the year went on it was just deep shot after deep shot.

One thing I remember talking about during the year that was so impressive about Mike was ability to throw a lazer while getting hit, which he did incredibly well. I just hope he's able to clean up those little things to make the short/mid throws more consistent.

And I wouldn't sweat the completion % TOO much, considering how much of DeBoer's offense was those screens to Whop. It certainly padded the numbers some (a la the MSU game with like 22 straight completions).

Whatever issues Penix has with his game 100% boils down to this. He's got supreme confidence in his arm (with good reason) and his ability to just sling it. I'm not sure if it was him or playcalling either or just trusting Fry to come down with big catches, but it seemed like as the year went on it was just deep shot after deep shot.

One thing I remember talking about during the year that was so impressive about Mike was ability to throw a lazer while getting hit, which he did incredibly well. I just hope he's able to clean up those little things to make the short/mid throws more consistent.

And I wouldn't sweat the completion % TOO much, considering how much of DeBoer's offense was those screens to Whop. It certainly padded the numbers some (a la the MSU game with like 22 straight completions).
Just FYI - DeBord was still OC when Penix threw 21 straight against MSU. Some of those were swing passes to Stevie, but most were downfield. It was an awesome performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT